Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 32541 times)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2021, 11:42:22 pm »

Bulk tries to push himself out his window.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2021, 02:31:25 am »

(How about a reroll for the next person other than me to get a 1 or 2 in-thread instead, as a bonus for the fossils?)

Bonus will be 'reduced overshoot consequences for any construction-related overshoots.'

How close to viable is the resulting Dino DNA?  And as the free action, continue work on the other set.

Add two goals:  Hire leading animal trainer/biologist, Short-Term Moderate, and Hire/Train lead geneticist, Short-Term Moderate.

For the action, continue work on the logistics infrastructure.  A permanent power station and water supply will be next.  After that it'll be living quarters, helipad, and other amenities to finish things off.

(Done.)

(Done.)

Fairly close; there were a lot of fossils so it’s basically just a matter of stitching the intact parts together.

Your laboratory extracts genetic material from the second set of fossils. One more to go.

(Done.)

[1d6+1 = 6+1 = 7]

You put the word out, and companies begin emailing you bids to supply a power plant capable of putting out a certain number of megawatts. One bid lists the type as “nuclear”, and you are momentarily tempted to go with that one. Then, the Chief of Operations points out the numerous problems with that idea. Among other red flags, “revolutionary design” is likely a euphemism for “wholly untested”. … also, the seven statements regarding the power plant’s capabilities alternate between being unnerving and blatantly false.
You decide to just go with a tried-and-true coal power plant.
Construction of it, and work on obtaining a secure water supply, begins without any further difficulty.

Use one of my coats as a blanket and sleep next to the ratman to see if that helps any, if I can't just keep trying until daylight.

[1d6 = 6]

You try again. You drape a coat over yourself and lie down next to the rat man.
Ever so slowly, you close your eyes.
You slip into sleep.
You dream. You begin to look towards something that you know to be a crown. Before you can see it, you also begin to look away from it, countering yourself.
You wake from a dream. You see many shadowy groups of people of great power. Some people are in multiple groups. Momentarily, you see your own silhouette.
You wake from a dream. You are sitting on the top of a skyscraper with your allies - no, friends. You’ll change the world together.
You wake from a dream. You are playing a very complicated strategy game. Your brother is making up a story about the things that are happening in the game. You have convinced another nation to end their war against you and become your ally instead. Your brother says that the queen of that nation is a duck.
You wake from a dream. You are in Russia. You have volunteered to test some sort of “water substitute”. You drink it. It’s almost exactly like water, but thicker. You go home and turn on the TV. A news anchor says that from now on, the water substitute will be free to all Russians.
You wake from a dream. You are in college. You have studied for your exam, but it has been cancelled. With nothing to do, you turn on your computer and start browsing YouTube. You find a video that looks interesting. The intro music begins to play.
You wake from a dream. You are in high school. You are taking an exam for a class that you haven’t studied for. Everyone in the classroom knows this. People start laughing at you.
You wake up. It is morning.

Bulk tries to push himself out his window.

[1d6 = 6]

Bulk no stay stuck. Bulk show window Bulk stronger than window.
Bulk try to push self out of window.
It not work. Arms also stuck.
Bulk flex muscles…
Loud sound happen, and Bulk un-stuck. Bulk look around to find what made noise.
Window pane made noise. Bulk broke window frame, window pane fell out of window frame, and hit ground.
Window pane on ground in seven pieces.

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

The dice have spoken, I guess?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2021, 02:58:49 am »

(Gamma velociraptors would have been too perfect for this cruel world, sadly.)

I think it'll be a bit more work on finishing off that infrastructure.  There's the helipad, permanent (or semi-permanent) living quarters, and some basic services, like basic medical facilities and equipment/mechanical sheds.  If these complete too, the goal should be finished or pretty nearly finished.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2021, 05:18:51 am »

"Weird bunch of dreams."
Now that it's morning have a look around the barn and see what's inside, and if any rats are found turn them into more rat men.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2021, 11:41:00 pm »

Standing up Bulk looks at the Steve up and down, with a nod he throws a punch at his neighbor assuming he will be a worthy opponent.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2021, 01:47:48 am »

(Gamma velociraptors would have been too perfect for this cruel world, sadly.)

I think it'll be a bit more work on finishing off that infrastructure.  There's the helipad, permanent (or semi-permanent) living quarters, and some basic services, like basic medical facilities and equipment/mechanical sheds.  If these complete too, the goal should be finished or pretty nearly finished.

(It would have been quite the overshoot if it hadn’t been mitigated. Far beyond “Gamma velociraptors”.)

[1d6+1 = 5+1 = 6]

The helipad is constructed without difficulty, and the sheds are, well, sheds, but the living quarters and basic medical facilities are best described as “semi-semi-permanent”. The goal can’t really be called complete without more work on them.

(Benedikt Mironov (Chief of Operations) working on the security of the power plant: [1d6 = 2])

Your Chief of Operations, Mironov, reports that the power plant is not at all secure enough, considering that it will be providing power to “an entire island dedicated to dinosaur tourism” (you’re not sure how much he understands the business plan), and proceeds to list several scenarios that sound sort of implausible. He seems a little paranoid.

"Weird bunch of dreams."
Now that it's morning have a look around the barn and see what's inside, and if any rats are found turn them into more rat men.

[1d6 = 4]

The barn has a surprising amount of interior walls. Maybe it used to be a house or something? Why even is there a fenced-off barn near the highway with no buildings around?
There is nothing else in the barn, so it probably wasn’t abandoned in a hurry. Nothing else, that is, except for a rat, which you catch and turn into a second rat man. Names might help to avoid confusion.

Standing up Bulk looks at the Steve up and down, with a nod he throws a punch at his neighbor assuming he will be a worthy opponent.

[1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 = 1 with higher baseline vs 5]

Bulk look at top of Steve. Bulk look at bottom of Steve. Bulk look at part of Steve between top and bottom.
Steve look like worthy opponent. Surely. Probably. Maybe.
Bulk draw back arm for punch.
Bulk high five Steve. Bulk very surprised. Steve worthier opponent than Bulk thought.

I am seriously considering retroactively making Steve a ninja or something. It would explain that roll, it would give Bulk an actually worthy opponent, and it would add another non-player faction - something that might be useful, considering that the angels and demons have been sidelined.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2021, 03:28:21 pm »

Bulk shrugs "The Steve best Bulk again," frowning Bulk looks closer at the Steve noticing his odd clothing "You wear strange fabric cage the Steve? Why?" he asks.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2021, 09:56:58 pm »

(I fail to see how any disaster could be greater than hulkified velociraptors.)

I think there was one more set of fossils.  Can I get an update on how they went?  What species?

Lets get finishing those up, then.  Prefabricated housing, a canteen or a couple of cafeterias, regular ferry service to the mainland, and various tankage and warehousing to round things off.

I'll also talk with Benedikt Mironov about possible security concerns.  What sorts of problems might arise?  (some kind of head of security or other precautions seems necessary.. if for no other reason, than after we have dinosaurs running about.)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2021, 03:45:39 am »

Bulk shrugs "The Steve best Bulk again," frowning Bulk looks closer at the Steve noticing his odd clothing "You wear strange fabric cage the Steve? Why?" he asks.

[1d6 = 6]
(You know what? Good enough.)

“Because I am a ninja,” Steve says.
Bulk not know what “ninja” mean.

(I fail to see how any disaster could be greater than hulkified velociraptors.)

I think there was one more set of fossils.  Can I get an update on how they went?  What species?

Lets get finishing those up, then.  Prefabricated housing, a canteen or a couple of cafeterias, regular ferry service to the mainland, and various tankage and warehousing to round things off.

I'll also talk with Benedikt Mironov about possible security concerns.  What sorts of problems might arise?  (some kind of head of security or other precautions seems necessary.. if for no other reason, than after we have dinosaurs running about.)

(Well… it wouldn’t have been a greater disaster, I suppose, but it would have been greater, in the same way that a minefield is greater than a bear.)

Genetic material has been extracted from the third set of fossils.
(Well, the intent was that you got to select which three species the university sold fossils of to you, actually. You can still do that retroactively-ish.)

[1d6+1 = 6+1 = 7]

With breakneck speed, contractors construct large quantities of prefabricated housing, a canteen, and assorted warehouses and storage. With that, and a contract (cheap, all things considered) with a ferry company, the island’s logistics infrastructure is complete.

(Goal “Construct island logistics infrastructure” completed. You may add up to two goals. You may remove up to one goal. You may choose a related benefit approximately equal to ”achievable for a normal human with high potential, good luck, and multiple decades of work” applied to a somewhat broad area.)

Mironov looks contemplative. “Well, our precautions ought to be tailored to our adversaries. There are only two adversaries we have for sure: Our dinosaurs, and other corporations. Our dinosaurs could cause problems in two ways: Attacking people, or trying to escape. They can be contained with a guard force armed with tranq darts of escalating strength, and live weaponry for emergencies. And, uh, and walls. They can also be contained with walls. Other corporations could cause problems in four ways: Covertly sabotaging us from the inside, covertly sabotaging us from the outside, openly attacking us from the inside, and openly attacking us from the outside. Zucker seems bent on lowering the danger of the first one, and a guard force will lower the danger of the other ones. They’re probably going to sneak at least one infiltrator in, no getting around that, but at least make sure they sneak in a janitor and not a biologist. Although… considering my interview, I think Zucker has pretty exacting standards. I don’t know how long hiring will take him if he tries to keep every infiltrator out.”
You bring up the possibility of a dedicated head of security, and Mironov agrees. “Honestly, I don’t like the idea of acting as unofficial head of security. I was called overcautious at my last job when it came to keeping secrets. I disagree, but everyone thinks they know more about something than they really do. Dennis-Crayger effect or something like that.”

(Zucker finding a candidate for Lead Geneticist: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 6])

Soon after that, it’s time for a meeting with Zucker where you can meet the Lead Geneticist he’s hired - something he didn’t do for Mironov. It’s not long before you discover the reason.
Zucker enters the room, alone, with an expression that is half confrontational and half embarrassed. “Look,” he says defensively, “Ivan Ivanov - yes, that’s his actual name - is a little eccentric. But he’s far and away the best geneticist I could get. The word “genius” comes to mind. And genius and stability don’t always go together.”
Zucker begins to say more, but then Ivan Ivanov enters the room. His slim build, lab coat, and gray facial hair give one impression, but his ushanka and - as you notice when he begins speaking - his surprisingly deep Russian-accented voice give an entirely different impression. “So! Lead geneticist for… ahh… dinosaur island tourism corporation!” Zucker sighs. “Small number of employees. Big number of plans. Big number of results, if all employees work together!” Ivanov shoots a glance at Zucker. ”I come up with one motivational buzzword, and he latches on to it…” Zucker mutters. Ivanov smiles proudly. “After all, ”Workers of the world, unite!” It is Russian saying.” Ivanov places his hand on his chin, contemplative. Zucker places his hand on his face, exhausted. “...Although it is only Russian saying, perhaps the “unite” part is more complicated than some think. And… I am always ready to seek out the secrets of life itself!” Ivanov shoots another glance at Zucker. ”Okay, maybe it was two motivational buzzwords…” Zucker mutters. “When awake! When asleep! When at home! When at work! Especially when at work.”
“He’s not joking about the “asleep” part,” Zucker informs you in a tone of voice that suggests that he anticipated the course of this conversation but is not at all happy with it. Ivanov nods. “Indeed! And I sense nearby the comforting familiarity of prefabricated housing, so if that is all…” And he leaves. Zucker looks back at you for a second and shrugs, saying “I did say eccentric”, and rushes after him.

(Goal “Hire/Train lead geneticist” completed. You may add up to two goals. You may remove up to one goal. You may choose a related benefit approximately equal to “achievable for a normal human with high potential, good luck, and multiple decades of work” applied to a narrow area.)

“Pretty exacting standards” sounds about as accurate as “a little eccentric”. Then again, if they get results...

… these rolls.
(I’m not entirely sure how I manage to make Devastator’s turn so long sometimes, honestly.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2021, 06:16:29 am »

(Getting unreasonably lucky?)

(Also, I don't think I should be getting an action for the head of personnel.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:44:57 am by Devastator »

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2021, 01:32:17 pm »

(Getting unreasonably lucky?)

(Also, I don't think I should be getting an action for the head of personnel.)
.. I guess?

I disagree.
Hiring a head of personnel was a goal, and the benefit you chose was unrelated to Zucker, but you still hired a head of personnel and that itself has mechanical effects.
An analogy: If someone had a goal "Acquire a shotgun", and they achieved that goal, it wouldn't matter what benefit they chose, they'd still have a shotgun, which would give them a large advantage in combat compared to an unarmed ordinary person.
But I'm willing to hear a counterargument to this.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2021, 11:25:13 pm »

(Nah, reading back I can see your decision.  I'd thought I'd rolled a 1 on Zucker, and got someone who would actively hamper efforts, not a 6 and got someone too enthusiastic.)

Choose the species, eh..  well, three sets.  So.. 1, Richardoestesia gilmorei, to go with the limited amount I already have and maybe make some viable material, or close to it.

2. one of the classics, Ankylosaurus magniventris.

3. a smallish herbivore, Heterodontosaurus tucki.

For the logistics infrastructure:  Change how construction works on the island.  Buildings and such will be built on a point system, not straight d6 progress rolls.

Here's an estimated table:

Short-term goals, 5 points to complete.
Medium-term goals, 15 points to complete.
Long-Term goals, 45 points to complete.

Actions made to progress towards easy construction jobs will add 1d6+1 points.
Medium jobs will be 1d6
Hard jobs will be 1d6-1, and will lose one point of progress each turn still incomplete.
Inordinate jobs will be 1d6-2, and will lose one point of progress each turn incomplete.

The +1 bonus towards all construction will instead add one point a turn towards one construction project, independant of any action being made.  This will only hold pace with the losses for hard and inordinate.. they need actions to make progress.
The reduced overshoot bonus thanks to the chief of operations will instead be a +1 whenever an action is made to help build something.

For the lead geneticist Ivonov, something similar to Mironov the Operations Chief, with reduced penalties for overshoots related to dinosaur genetic manipulation and cloning.

(With what you're saying about goals not being needed to have mechanical effects, I don't think I'll set any new goals at this point.  There is more to do before I can call the dinosaur park complete, but I don't see too many more intermediary steps.)

(Oh, no, a couple things come to mind.)

Two new goals.  Design indoor dinosaur kennel, (short-term Hard), develop dinosaur medicine (Medium-term Inordinate, dropping to Hard if I have a living dinosaur.)

Unguided work is to begin with the park facilities.  These are basically things like permanent offices, some better living quarters, a small hotel.  Nothing to do with dinosaurs, but stuff required for a small park to function.  We have the infrastructure required for construction, so now it's time to build the park structures.  At this point, think things that would allow for perhaps fifty people at a time to visit on a day trip, so about the same number of permanent employees, between guest services, medical personnel, administration, security, etcetera.  Capacity to handle fifty or so tourists a day.

Action is to review our collection of genetic material is at this point, and see how close we are to viability.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2021, 02:11:55 am »

(Nah, reading back I can see your decision.  I'd thought I'd rolled a 1 on Zucker, and got someone who would actively hamper efforts, not a 6 and got someone too enthusiastic.)
Correction: You rolled a 7.
For the logistics infrastructure:  Change how construction works on the island.  Buildings and such will be built on a point system, not straight d6 progress rolls.

Here's an estimated table:

Short-term goals, 5 points to complete.
Medium-term goals, 15 points to complete.
Long-Term goals, 45 points to complete.

Actions made to progress towards easy construction jobs will add 1d6+1 points.
Medium jobs will be 1d6
Hard jobs will be 1d6-1, and will lose one point of progress each turn still incomplete.
Inordinate jobs will be 1d6-2, and will lose one point of progress each turn incomplete.

The +1 bonus towards all construction will instead add one point a turn towards one construction project, independant of any action being made.  This will only hold pace with the losses for hard and inordinate.. they need actions to make progress.
The reduced overshoot bonus thanks to the chief of operations will instead be a +1 whenever an action is made to help build something.
Well, I don't see a problem with this. (I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start modifying the mechanics...)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2021, 02:33:51 am »

Wasn't there a custom die to start with?

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2021, 03:20:11 am »

Wasn't there a custom die to start with?
Well, yes, but that wasn't quite as much of a modification.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18