Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 32519 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2021, 03:23:00 am »

Mmm, well, next modification is probably going to be the cloning lab, which I want to use to allow me to make more dinosaurs of any type I've successfully cloned before, without a roll.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2021, 05:36:45 pm »

Unguided work is to begin with the park facilities.  These are basically things like permanent offices, some better living quarters, a small hotel.  Nothing to do with dinosaurs, but stuff required for a small park to function.  We have the infrastructure required for construction, so now it's time to build the park structures.  At this point, think things that would allow for perhaps fifty people at a time to visit on a day trip, so about the same number of permanent employees, between guest services, medical personnel, administration, security, etcetera.  Capacity to handle fifty or so tourists a day.

Action is to review our collection of genetic material is at this point, and see how close we are to viability.

Actually, hang on - isn’t that two actions? Is one of those actions something you want your employees to handle?

Having only two posts last turn was unfortunate enough. But now, there’s only been one post so far. That’s not sufficient to continue this RtD.
So… bump? For new posts? New players?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »

Just one action, review the genetic materials.

The other was to put the 1 point/turn into working on the park facilities, not to take an action.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2021, 05:11:40 am »

(Sorry about missing a turn my internet has been out for all most a week.)

Now that I've obtained a second rat man it is time to leave this weird barn and continue down the highway in search of a large abandoned building.
(Also as for names for the rat men, I say the OG one shall be named son and the second shall be named bubba.)

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2021, 12:48:35 pm »

Bulk look at the Steve with confusion but shrugs. "Since the Steve best Bulk," the muscular man slowly enunciated his words "The Steve must show Bulk how he become Neenjah!" Bulk exclaimed excitedly throwing up his hands.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2021, 03:24:46 am »

(Nah, reading back I can see your decision.  I'd thought I'd rolled a 1 on Zucker, and got someone who would actively hamper efforts, not a 6 and got someone too enthusiastic.)

Choose the species, eh..  well, three sets.  So.. 1, Richardoestesia gilmorei, to go with the limited amount I already have and maybe make some viable material, or close to it.

2. one of the classics, Ankylosaurus magniventris.

3. a smallish herbivore, Heterodontosaurus tucki.

For the logistics infrastructure:  Change how construction works on the island.  Buildings and such will be built on a point system, not straight d6 progress rolls.

Here's an estimated table:

Short-term goals, 5 points to complete.
Medium-term goals, 15 points to complete.
Long-Term goals, 45 points to complete.

Actions made to progress towards easy construction jobs will add 1d6+1 points.
Medium jobs will be 1d6
Hard jobs will be 1d6-1, and will lose one point of progress each turn still incomplete.
Inordinate jobs will be 1d6-2, and will lose one point of progress each turn incomplete.

The +1 bonus towards all construction will instead add one point a turn towards one construction project, independant of any action being made.  This will only hold pace with the losses for hard and inordinate.. they need actions to make progress.
The reduced overshoot bonus thanks to the chief of operations will instead be a +1 whenever an action is made to help build something.

For the lead geneticist Ivonov, something similar to Mironov the Operations Chief, with reduced penalties for overshoots related to dinosaur genetic manipulation and cloning.

(With what you're saying about goals not being needed to have mechanical effects, I don't think I'll set any new goals at this point.  There is more to do before I can call the dinosaur park complete, but I don't see too many more intermediary steps.)

(Oh, no, a couple things come to mind.)

Two new goals.  Design indoor dinosaur kennel, (short-term Hard), develop dinosaur medicine (Medium-term Inordinate, dropping to Hard if I have a living dinosaur.)

Unguided work is to begin with the park facilities.  These are basically things like permanent offices, some better living quarters, a small hotel.  Nothing to do with dinosaurs, but stuff required for a small park to function.  We have the infrastructure required for construction, so now it's time to build the park structures.  At this point, think things that would allow for perhaps fifty people at a time to visit on a day trip, so about the same number of permanent employees, between guest services, medical personnel, administration, security, etcetera.  Capacity to handle fifty or so tourists a day.

Action is to review our collection of genetic material is at this point, and see how close we are to viability.

(Done.)

(Done.)

(Done.)

(Done.)

[1d6 = 2]

The genetic material is pretty far from viability. Considering the amount you have, all the pieces are probably there, but identifying them and putting them together will take some work.

(Ivanov splicing together pieces of intact genetic material: [1d6 = 2])

The next day, you receive a short progress report from Ivanov. “Genetic material refinement is having small effect on viability. Slow, but non-negligible! I will persist in my pursuit of control over this genetic material.”

(Sorry about missing a turn my internet has been out for all most a week.)

Now that I've obtained a second rat man it is time to leave this weird barn and continue down the highway in search of a large abandoned building.
(Also as for names for the rat men, I say the OG one shall be named son and the second shall be named bubba.)

(Oh, yikes. Texas storm, or unrelated?)

[1d6 = 5]

You, Son, and Bubba set out from the barn, heading parallel to the highway so as to find a building not visible to a casual driver.
After several miles of walking… you actually find another abandoned building. You honestly weren’t expecting that to happen. One was already enough of a surprise.
By the looks of things it’s some sort of office building, a few stories tall. And it has a fence around it.

Bulk look at the Steve with confusion but shrugs. "Since the Steve best Bulk," the muscular man slowly enunciated his words "The Steve must show Bulk how he become Neenjah!" Bulk exclaimed excitedly throwing up his hands.

[1d6 = 6]

Steve look at Bulk. Steve look at broken window. Steve look at Bulk doubtfully.
Steve shrugs.
“Steve, as you may have guessed, is not an Asian name. I am not a ninja by birth. Many years ago, I was caught up in a large bar fight. For me, it was two against one, and although I was putting up a good fight, I was not winning. That is, until my soon-to-be-sensei stepped in. He defeated my opponents with a single motion of his arm, and offered to train me. He was impressed with my blah blah blah, blah blah blah…”
Bulk get distracted. Bulk think story would be more impressive with pictures. Steve look at Bulk with narrowed eyes.
“To summarize: I became a ninja by impressing my sensei in a fight. I will give you the chance to do the same.”
Steve takes two steps back and settles into a combat stance.

How will Bulk approach this?

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2021, 03:50:07 am »

(Does that count as genetic research involving dinosaurs?)

Lets get to work designing the indoor dinosaur kennel, then.  Should be some good info from zoo design and what not.  I'm also not 100% certain as to the desired environment and diet of these animals, so lets see if I can nail a broad-based design suitable for different situations.. variable light levels, high and low humidities, different possible soil compositions.. there's a lot of work to do, but lets try and make some progress on working out what we need.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:54:48 am by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2021, 06:21:04 am »

"Looks as good a place as any to set up a base."
Walk around outside the fence and see if there are any guards or people inside, if the coast is clear find a way inside and look around.

(Noting major just a winter storm that came through and luckily the internet was the only utility that we lost long term.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:34:14 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2021, 11:00:24 pm »

Stepping back Bulk takes a deep breath attempting to find his inner ninja.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2021, 02:53:56 am »

(Does that count as genetic research involving dinosaurs?)

Lets get to work designing the indoor dinosaur kennel, then.  Should be some good info from zoo design and what not.  I'm also not 100% certain as to the desired environment and diet of these animals, so lets see if I can nail a broad-based design suitable for different situations.. variable light levels, high and low humidities, different possible soil compositions.. there's a lot of work to do, but lets try and make some progress on working out what we need.

(Well, I’m willing to debate the precise meaning of the word “research”, but it seems to me that splicing pieces of genetic material together isn’t quite research. If Ivanov instead worked on figuring out a better way to assemble an intact genome, for example, that would be research.)

[1d6 = 1]

You were already aware that different species of dinosaur would have different requirements for their kennel, but you hoped to gain inspiration from the way that zoos and similar dealt with habitats for different animals. However, zoos abandoned the idea of a one-size-fits-all design decades ago. You were also aware that you didn’t know much, if anything, about the precise environment and diet that dinosaurs would need, which makes things even tougher.
Ironically, your understanding of the task only makes it more difficult.

(Ivanov splicing together pieces of genetic material, again: [1d6 = 1])

The next progress report doesn’t even come from Ivanov; it comes from the other geneticist, the one you hired a while back. “Our current approach has hit a dead end; this genetic material poses unique challenges. We’ve been forced back to the drawing board. Ivanov is talking about beginning development of “new interrogation interfaces”, which seems to be a metaphor for increasing the involvement of computers in the process and enhancing the UI of the equipment.”

(The free progress point is automatically applied to the park facilities.)

"Looks as good a place as any to set up a base."
Walk around outside the fence and see if there are any guards or people inside, if the coast is clear find a way inside and look around.

(Noting major just a winter storm that came through and luckily the internet was the only utility that we lost long term.)

[1d6 = 3]

By the looks of things, the place is deserted. You find a way inside the fence, but not a way inside the building - the front door is locked.

Stepping back Bulk takes a deep breath attempting to find his inner ninja.

[1d6 = 2] (Devastator’s benefit triggers) [1d6 = 2]

Bulk breathe in. Bulk breathe out. Bulk try to look for inner ninja.
Bulk not sure how to look for inner ninja. Inner ninja inside Bulk, like name say. Bulk not sure how to look inside self. Bulk can’t find inner ninja.
Bulk think of something. Steve probably have inner ninja. If Bulk even have inner ninja, inner ninja of Steve better.

Maybe Bulk not need inner ninja yet?
Maybe Bulk just need inner Bulk?

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

These are not good rolls.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2021, 03:29:11 am »

(I would say that assembling dinosaur genetic sequences counts as genetic research involving dinosaurs, yes.)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2021, 04:29:50 am »

(I would say that assembling dinosaur genetic sequences counts as genetic research involving dinosaurs, yes.)

Hm. Well, I don't doubt that it's a process involving genetics and dinosaurs, but I do doubt that it's research - or at the very least, not primarily research. There's some amount of creation of new techniques, but only to the incremental extent that's true of all jobs. Most of the time, it's more like development than research, and more like regular work than development.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2021, 04:39:26 am »

I can see that.. the goal is to create something, after all, so it might be production and not research.  But this is the first dinosaur created, and it's the first time going through this process.  I'd be happy to accept the bonus not being relevant to make additional dinosaurs, but for right now it's pretty much wholly unknown territory, and we're learning how to do it as we do it.

It's also not actually making a dinosaur yet.  I'll still have to clone one after finishing the genetic material, which is a different process.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2021, 05:57:23 am »

"Darn it's locked."
Walk around the and find ether a door with an padlock I can smash off with a brick or a piece of flat metal that I can use to pry open one of the doors, once that's done go inside and look around.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2021, 12:32:34 pm »

ENGAGE ULTIMATE BULK FIGHTING STANCE
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18