Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)  (Read 32542 times)

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Multitask (seeking new players)
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2021, 01:10:18 am »

Search the building for the IT department, then once that's found search the room for any thing that might be a password list or computers that are still logged on, and any drives or disks I could look at.

[1d6 = 2]

The building is fairly large. You don’t manage to find the location of the IT department.

Nah.  I'll keep looking.

(Turns like this are why I went for the auto-build thingy.)

[1d6+1 = 3+1 = 4]

The second candidate introduces himself as Dex Lichtrosen.
He used to be the head of security for a fracking site, before it was forced to shut down due to groundwater contamination concerns.
The impression you get is that he is would be more or less average at the job. Then again, compared to “Sussman”, average sounds pretty good.

((Free action: Hire Dex?))

(Ivanov splicing together genetic material with new techniques: [1d6+1 = 1+1 = 2])

(Mironov discussing security with Amber: [1d6 = 1])
(([shocked]Oh.[/shocked]))
(“Saving throw”: [1d6 = 5])
(([calm]Oh.[/calm]))

Amber reports that she saw no obvious security flaws in the current systems, although since Mironov had to correct a major misconception of hers regarding a detail of those systems, she’s not completely sure. She also mentions offhandedly that Mironov seemed to have picked up Ivanov’s style of speaking for a minute, which was confusing.

(The free progress point is automatically applied to the park facilities.)

Bulk looks aghast at the sudden appearance of the katana in the Sensai's hand, looking between Hanop and the Sensai with a slightly worried look that quickly steeled into anger.

"You know no good for you, bad Hanop!" he tsks at the knight "You unworthy as the Sensai's opponent, you weak! Bulk strong!" he taunted at the knight.

[1d6+1 = 1+1 = 2]

Hanop grin grimly. “We’ll see about that.”

Initiative (Bulk, Steve, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6+2 vs 1d6+2 = 5 vs 2+2 vs 3+2 = 5 vs 4 vs 5]
((Steve, aren’t ninjas supposed to be fast?))
Initiative tiebreaker (Bulk, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6 = 1 vs 1]
((Oh come on.))
Initiative tiebreaker-tie-breaker (Bulk, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6 = 4 vs 5]
((Well, you tried, Bulk.))

Hanop vs Steve: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 4 with two steps higher baseline vs 2 with two steps higher baseline]

Hanop ride at Steve and swing sword, knocking aside Steve’s katana and cutting Steve in arm.

Bulk vs Hanop: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 1 with higher baseline vs 3 with two steps higher baseline]

Bulk quickly step out of way of Hanop so horse not trample Bulk.

Steve vs Hanop: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 2 with two steps higher baseline vs 2 with two steps higher baseline]

Steve throw ninja metal at Hanop, but Steve miss.

Hanop turn around and ride back at Steve and Bulk.

Spoiler: Charsheets (click to show/hide)

My GM senses are tingling from all the suspense! King Zultan is investigating the purpose of the biological research laboratory, Horizon is fighting to save his new mentor, and Devastator is, judging by those rolls, locking the door in his most secure of quarters.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2021, 02:40:43 am »

(Mostly, the timing is because when we finish piercing together the genetic material, I want to publish some papers to try and attract a biologist to handle the 'living animal' bit of the cloning project.  Might also try to get some behind-the-scenes staff improvements for the genetic manipulation required to pierce together genomes or such.  Have to get security in place -before- we do the publication, in order for them to get ahead before the project starts attracting a significant amount of attention.)

Yup, hire Dex.  Goals are the same as before, protect the dinos from people, people from the dinos, and since the project is taking a bit longer, make sure to cover some basic support for existing staff and the ongoing lead project.

For the actual action, lets check back in with Ivanov and try to assist with the ongoing genetic splicing project, as it seems to have hit another couple of snags.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:05:11 pm by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2021, 04:44:28 am »

"This place didn't seem this big from the outside."
Look around there's bound to be a map or floor plan posted somewhere in this place, and once I find one use it to find the IT room.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2021, 12:02:14 pm »

Bulk stands his ground and steps in front of the Steve with pure white hot fury in his demeanor at how Hanop hurt Bulk's master 'Bulk make Hanop pay' he thought hearing his heart beating faster and the sound of blood rushing in his ears from the boiling rage he felt nearing an explosive climax.

"BULK WILL KILL HANOP FOR HURTY MASTER!" Bulk at this point blind with rage and stepping into the oncoming knights path upon his steed, and held out his arms intending to grab the horses legs throw it on it's back "BULK WILL MAKE HANOP SUFFER" he roared "BULK WILL NOT LET SENSAI DIE!" he bellowed before the knight drew close.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:10:05 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2021, 02:25:17 am »

(Mostly, the timing is because when we finish piercing together the genetic material, I want to publish some papers to try and attract a biologist to handle the 'living animal' bit of the cloning project.  Might also try to get some behind-the-scenes staff improvements for the genetic manipulation required to pierce together genomes or such.  Have to get security in place -before- we do the publication, in order for them to get ahead before the project starts attracting a significant amount of attention.)

Yup, hire Dex.  Goals are the same as before, protect the dinos from people, people from the dinos, and since the project is taking a bit longer, make sure to cover some basic support for existing staff and the ongoing lead project.

For the actual action, lets check back in with Ivanov and try to assist with the ongoing genetic splicing project, as it seems to have hit another couple of snags.

You hire Dex.

[1d6+1 with lower baseline = 1+1 with lower baseline = 2 with lower baseline]

Unfortunately, it seems that your previous success at assisting Ivanov was nothing but beginner’s luck. You don’t accomplish anything.

(Ivanov splicing together genetic material with new techniques: [1d6+1 = 6+1 = 7])

Ivanov states that in order to get past the recent bottleneck, he had to develop new new techniques, involving “ah, I think English word is radiance? Like the Sun? Well, not really like the Sun, obviously. Broad principles are similar.”

(Mironov discussing security with Dex: [1d6 = 4])

"This place didn't seem this big from the outside."
Look around there's bound to be a map or floor plan posted somewhere in this place, and once I find one use it to find the IT room.

[1d6 = 4]

You do manage to find a map, and from there it’s just a matter of determining your location and the location of the IT department, and finding a path between them.
After a few minutes traversing hallways and stairs, you arrive at the laboratory’s IT department.

Bulk stands his ground and steps in front of the Steve with pure white hot fury in his demeanor at how Hanop hurt Bulk's master 'Bulk make Hanop pay' he thought hearing his heart beating faster and the sound of blood rushing in his ears from the boiling rage he felt nearing an explosive climax.

"BULK WILL KILL HANOP FOR HURTY MASTER!" Bulk at this point blind with rage and stepping into the oncoming knights path upon his steed, and held out his arms intending to grab the horses legs throw it on it's back "BULK WILL MAKE HANOP SUFFER" he roared "BULK WILL NOT LET SENSAI DIE!" he bellowed before the knight drew close.

Initiative (Bulk, Steve, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6+2 vs 1d6+2 = 6 vs 3+2 vs 2+2 = 6 vs 5 vs 4]

Bulk vs Hanop: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 3 with higher baseline vs 6 with two steps higher baseline]

Bulk try to grab horse, but Hanop see Bulk and swerve slightly to side, away from Bulk.

Steve vs Hanop: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 3 with two steps higher baseline vs 5 with two steps higher baseline]

Steve try to cut Hanop with katana, but Hanop’s swerve make Steve miss.

Hanop vs Steve: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 1 with two steps higher baseline vs 2 with two steps higher baseline]

Hanop try to cut Steve with sword, but Hanop’s swerve make Hanop miss.

I can’t help but feel like the suspense has diminished a little.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2021, 04:13:43 am »

Search the IT room for any external drive and a list of passwords, if I can't find the passwords on paper maybe I can find them on one of the computers in there.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2021, 11:40:31 am »

(Reduced overshoot consequences for any overshoots related to dinosaur genetic manipulation and cloning.)

With the new experience from the zoo tour, lets take another crack at designing the indoor dinosaur kennel

If the above doesn't apply, I'd like to get someone in to go over that code instead.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:50:53 pm by Devastator »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2021, 06:31:37 pm »

Bulk takes a deep breath, he remember breathing good. He focused now, Bulk prepares himself for Hanop next attack and will counterattack.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2021, 10:44:30 pm »

Search the IT room for any external drive and a list of passwords, if I can't find the passwords on paper maybe I can find them on one of the computers in there.

[1d6 = 1]
[From worst of the worst to best of the worst: “Double Explosion”, “Camouflage Alarm”, “Camouflage Alert”, “Blue Alarm”, “Blue Alert”, “All Gone”: 1d6 = 4 = “Blue Alarm”]

You don’t find any lists of passwords, and you don’t find any external drives-
Actually, you find one external drive. No, wait, it’s labelled “Authentication Token”. Well, let’s try that.
You turn on one of the computers, arriving at the login screen, and insert the token.
The computer does not consider the token sufficient authentication, apparently.

(Reduced overshoot consequences for any overshoots related to dinosaur genetic manipulation and cloning.)

With the new experience from the zoo tour, lets take another crack at designing the indoor dinosaur kennel

If the above doesn't apply, I'd like to get someone in to go over that code instead.

((It’s less bad than it sounds. Ivanov has a strange way of phrasing things.))

[1d6 = 4]

After a few hours and several sheets of blue paper, you’ve designed a template for a basic indoor dinosaur kennel. You don’t bother trying to design the details; your previous concerns about that approach are still valid. But you do take into account the details. Once you have a better understanding of the dinosaur species that will be in the kennel, you’ll be able to modify the design to suit them without too much trouble.

(Ivanov splicing together genetic material with new techniques: [1d6+1 = 5+1 = 6])

Ivanov reports that he is almost done splicing together a viable genome.

(Dex taking a first look around: [1d6 = 4])

Bulk takes a deep breath, he remember breathing good. He focused now, Bulk prepares himself for Hanop next attack and will counterattack.

Initiative (Bulk, Steve, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6+2 vs 1d6+2 = 5 vs 6+2 vs 2+2 = 5 vs 8 vs 4]

Hanop ride past Steve and Bulk, then turn around and ride back towards Steve and Bulk.

Steve vs Hanop: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 3 with two steps higher baseline vs 6 with two steps higher baseline]

Steve throw many ninja metal at Hanop, but Hanop speed up Hanop’s horse and ninja metal bounce off Hanop’s armor.

Bulk vs Hanop: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 1 with higher baseline vs 6 with two steps higher baseline]

Bulk run towards Hanop and be between Hanop and Steve, but Hanop speed up Hanop’s horse and Hanop’s horse leap over Bulk.

Hanop vs Steve: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 5 with two steps higher baseline vs 6 with two steps higher baseline]

Hanop swing sword at Steve. Steve try to block with katana, but Steve not fast enough. Hanop cut Steve in arm again.

You’re outnumbered two to one, Hanop! How are you doing this?!

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2021, 12:09:39 am »

Bulk hit horsey that Hanop ride.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2021, 03:24:04 am »

"Excellent work, Ivanov.  I'll need to get started on the next step.  I'd also like you to think about publishing a paper on your progress, once you're done.  There should be some time before we're ready to actually make dinosaurs."

Head back to the island and lets break ground on the cloning facilities.  If we have a viable genome, we only need the proper cloning facilities to convert that into ACTUAL LIVING DINOS.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:14:22 am by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2021, 06:47:26 am »

(Not sure what a blue alarm is but it doesn't sound like a good thing.)

"Well this thing's a start, hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere with it."
Take the authentication token thing I just found back to the computer I was using earlier and plug it in and see if I can't access the things I wasn't able to earlier.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2021, 02:03:32 am »

Bulk hit horsey that Hanop ride.

Initiative (Bulk, Steve, Hanop): [1d6 vs 1d6+2 vs 1d6+2 = 1 vs 5+2 vs 2+2 = 1 vs 7 vs 4]

Steve charge at Hanop. Hanop turn around and charge at Steve.

Steve vs Hanop: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 4 with two steps higher baseline vs 6 with two steps higher baseline]

Steve jump and swing katana at Hanop, but…

Hanop vs Steve: [1d6 with two steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with two steps higher baseline = 5 with two steps higher baseline vs 2 with two steps higher baseline]

Hanop knock katana aside with sword and cut Steve in chest. Steve fall to ground.

Bulk vs Hanop’s horse: [1d6 with higher baseline vs 1d6 with higher baseline = 5 with higher baseline vs 4 with higher baseline]

Bulk punch Hanop’s horse. Not enough.

"Excellent work, Ivanov.  I'll need to get started on the next step.  I'd also like you to think about publishing a paper on your progress, once you're done.  There should be some time before we're ready to actually make dinosaurs."

Head back to the island and lets break ground on the cloning facilities.  If we have a viable genome, we only need the proper cloning facilities to convert that into ACTUAL LIVING DINOS.

[1d6+1 = 4+1 = 5]

That afternoon, you return to the island. Work on the cloning facilities has begun.

(5 points of progress added to the cloning infrastructure.)

(The free progress point is automatically applied to (no orders given: 1d2 = 2) the cloning infrastructure.)

(Ivanov splicing together genetic material with new techniques: [1d6+1 = 5+1 = 6])

In the evening, Ivanov reports that he has spliced together what ought to be a viable genome.

You go to bed.

It is morning.

([secret]: [1d6 = 1])
(([shocked]Oh.[/shocked]))
([secret]: [1d6 = 1])
(([resigned to the inevitable]Oh.[/resigned to the inevitable]))

It’s a beautiful day outside.

([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 3])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 3])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 5])
(“Secret?” (Hammond, [secret], [secret], [secret]): [1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 1, 5, 1, 1])

Birds are singing.

([secret]: [1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 1, 1, 5])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 3, 2])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 4, 4])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 3, 3])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 6])
(“Secret?” (Hammond, [secret], [secret]): [1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 2, 6, 2])

Flowers are blooming.

([secret]: [1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 3, 3, 1, 6])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 3, 5])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 5])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 4])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 3, 2])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 2])
(“Secret?” (Hammond, [secret]): [1d6, 1d6 = 3, 3])

On days like these,

([secret]: [1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 4, 3, 2, 2])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 4])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 4])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 3])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 1, 6])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 4])
(“Secret?” (Hammond, [secret]): [1d6, 1d6 = 2, 3])

industrialists like yourself-

([secret]: [1d6, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6 = 4, 1, 6, 6])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 6])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 5, 4])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 1, 2])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 3])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 4, 1])
([secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 6])
(“Secret?” (Hammond, [secret]: [1d6, 1d6 = 6, 1])

-are hearing gunshots.

ONGOING CRISIS. Turns are now specifically on the scale of seconds or minutes, not hours or days. Thus, construction actions, for example, will not be possible. (But you still get one free construction progress point every turn. Don’t ask me to explain how that works.) But you can multitask to a certain extent. Call on your cell phone for help while running towards the gunshots? Call on your cell phone for help while running away from the gunshots? Sure!

(Not sure what a blue alarm is but it doesn't sound like a good thing.)

"Well this thing's a start, hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere with it."
Take the authentication token thing I just found back to the computer I was using earlier and plug it in and see if I can't access the things I wasn't able to earlier.

[1d6 = 6]
[Danger: “Double Explosion (Danger)”, “Camouflage Alarm”, “Camouflage Alert”, “Further Blue Alarm”, “Further Blue Alert”, “Nothing Further”: 1d6 = 2 = “Camouflage Alarm”]
[Knowledge: “[DATA EXPUNGED]”, “[REDACTED]”, “Codewords”, “Something Strange”, “Unknown Forces”, “Double Explosion (Knowledge): 1d6 = 5 = “Unknown Forces”]
((UMMMMMMM))

Before, you thought that this place primarily studied animals hypothesized to be capable of higher thought. That’s only part of the truth.
The Fort Dodge Ethological Research Center was created by the U.S. government in the early years of the War on Terror as part of a “throw everything at the wall and see what sticks” policy. For a little less than ten years, it was a small and unimpressive laboratory devoted to ethology, the study of animal behavior.
In the early 2010s, the CIA discovered that the Russian government was also funding ethological research, much more than the United States was. The Department of Defense promptly panicked, filled the Ethological Research Center with people who had no idea that they had no idea what they were doing, and gave the Ethological Research Center more money than even those people knew how to spend.
Throughout most of the 2010s, the staff of the Ethological Research Center did nothing of importance other than slowly become more competent.
In mid-2019, things started to change. Instead of trying to incrementally improve on previous science, the staff of the Ethological Research Center started trying to make scientific breakthroughs.
And soon, they were well on their way. Part of ethology is the study of animal learning. They had noticed something strange about animal learning - you don’t know what they noticed, it wasn’t even hinted at in any file you could find - and although it took them months, their experiments had progressed to the point where, in just a few weeks, they would be sure that what they noticed was a phenomenon worthy of study and not just a fluke.
They were well on their way, indeed, up until the Fort Dodge Ethological Research Center was stormed by unknown forces in April 2020.
You have access to the Fort Dodge Ethological Research Center communications intranet, which includes some off-site personnel. Looking through past messages, it seems that this is what those personnel were told: The government claims not to know which country or organization sent the battalion of people in camouflage. The government claims not to know where the people in camouflage took every person in the building. The government claims not to know how every single off-site backup was erased without any signs of tampering. And you won’t ask questions if you know what’s good for you.
It sounds like a cover-up. But what, precisely, were they covering up?

(Blue travel: [1d6 = 1])

(Camouflage travel: [1d6 = 6])

(Camouflage vs Blue: [1d6 with six steps higher baseline vs 1d6 with three steps higher baseline = 3 with six steps higher baseline vs 5 with three steps higher baseline])
(Blue requesting backup: [1d6 = 4])

You know what I think? I think the die I use loves underdogs. It caused Steve-the-normal-person to beat Bulk, but now it causes Hanop to be beating Steve-the-ninja and Bulk put together, it causes Zultan to discover very hidden secrets, it causes Blue to only barely be losing to Camouflage, and it causes [secret] to only barely be losing to [secret]. It loves underdogs. That’s the only explanation. And I guess [secret] got so strong they weren’t underdogs anymore.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2021, 03:54:04 am »

"We're getting closer to the truth, now we need to figure out what they did here that was so interesting as to get them all kidnapped."
Keep searching through the computers files to try and find out what they discovered that led to all of them being kidnapped.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2021, 08:08:00 am »

(Stupid dice)

Punch horse again.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18