Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101363 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2020, 10:34:27 am »

As a question to everyone, why would you want the badge being sold? For me it's mostly to avoid being roleblocked when I need to do something.
TricMagic. Personally, when I am scum I often get this wrenching feeling that I have made a mistake, and it gives me an urge to cover for this perceived mistake with an explanation afterwards. Do you also get this feeling?

I don't really get the question? This kinda makes me feel that way, but in the game no, I've never had that happen to me before. Besides that 'Everyone Scum' game after it ended, but that's mostly cause my playstyle was completely wrong because of it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2020, 10:42:02 am »

Pain so far.. Dolores, Icytea. Do you guys have Hats?

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2020, 10:51:05 am »

Spoiler: heydude6 (click to show/hide)
Essential point:
I'm really struggling to find the strength to call (heydude6) scum, because I don't actually have anything to point to. I also don't have a problem with ICT's play and he did the work first (before me) and came to the same conclusion, but I guess that (ICT's alignment) is up for review. I'm super bothered both that you named ICT specifically and then that ICT claimed to have received the contract.
See, I think that ICT's reaction 'heydude is faking hard, more later' is super believable if he got the contract. He's definitely seen it; either it exists and his narrative is correct, it exists and he's the owner, or it doesn't exist and you're both scum.

Nah, the second spoiler is correct in how the contract works.
I guess that means that rolenames actually matter as much as a minor ability, though it's not like there aren't redundant abilities to burn so that's not necessarily too much.

So now I've moved to the theory of there being a double-daykilling SK, which I do consider a possible role, especially since it can't necessarily nightkill.
This could be an sk heavy game. I've got a hat (of hat-in-time) inspiration and have been thinking (especially when it was made clear that items (or badges anyway) drop on death) that there's probably an sk or scum with a bonus wincon somewhere who needs to collect all the hats. I don't so much mind talking about mine, because I can't be targeted with kills, but hats are their own action type (that only competes with with other hats and is otherwise free) each phase. Mine can delay someone's action for a cycle and can be used in both phases, though obviously I can't use it.
PPE:
Speak of the devil.

I need to reread a lot and organize my thoughts. Particular interests are ToonyMan, ICT, Jim, FoU.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2020, 10:52:49 am »

Unvote

heydude6

Heydude6 is faking it hard. Explanation to come.
Icytea, this does not come across as good to me. Heydude hasn't really come across as scum to me so far. Mostly due to others.

I'll react to that post after dolores. Also awake and reading through.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 26, 2020, 11:04:20 am »

TricMagic: As incomprehensible as always.
Leafsnail: Just fluff except for gotcha on Tric

FallacyofUrist: Activelurking.

heydude6: Was going in the short answer bin with the mechanical fluff earlier, but I've been hit by an ability. The ability doesn't seem like the kind that double-targets, so I'm going to say it's heydude6 himself who's behind it. Roles might not be alignment-indicative, but I'll say the role name is a really damning one. To be fair, it's outguessing to say that a killing ability won't double-target, but since it's "voluntary" I'm not entirely certain.

Don't remember this gotcha. But you can confirm people who target you?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2020, 11:12:41 am »

I apologize with the formatting as it hard to gather quotes on a phone.

FOU: It was obvious bait to get a conversation going.  Which is such a townie vet thing to do. It's sort of his play style that I picked up from BP3. So I know he's definitely townie.

==============================================

Everyone: If I were scum, trust me. I wouldn't act this way. My scum team would've threw me under bus and yell at me in the scum chat. But I have no filter because I have no scum chat, I have no scum team, and I'm not scum. If everyone want to put your energy on me. Then so be it. But it would be a grave mistake. I'm looking for people to trust and the only one I trust is IcyTea31. 

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 26, 2020, 11:15:56 am »

Guess what is left is Icytea if he has a hat? Mine happens to intercept all actions against a target, apparently. Same with being a phase hat.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 26, 2020, 11:33:03 am »

@Nirur Torir:
Toony M:
More importantly, who's your current runner-up lynch target? (I'll assume IcyT is the primary, for the sake of the tunnel)
Yeah, I think IcyTea is a good choice for scum too.

@Heydude:
In other words, someone just maliciously targeted me with a day action. It was at 10:02:06 pm, which is 1 minute and 2 seconds after Toaster's post. I think I must have been doing too good of job as town then.
Who do you think is the most likely suspect?
This strikes me as anti-mafia. A scum member would definitely be cautious and check it over first with their buddies, if they even decided to say anything at all, before giving information to the town. I don't think Heydude is mafia, and probably not malicious either.

@IcyTea:
Then what do you think of the fact that Iceytea was targeted?
How do you know that this is a fact? Hell, if you think I'm scum, wouldn't this be one thing I'd definitely lie about, because I wouldn't target myself?
Clearly you can say a couple of things about the effects of the ability that targeted you. What exactly can't you talk about?
For one: I have to be roundabout about the specifics of a particular post, as that post contained a rules infraction. For two: there happens to be a particular name of an evil creature which is highly harmful (damning, in fact!) to the speaker if spoken aloud, especially three times in a short span of time. Looks like you were able to do that, though?
Are you absolutely sure? I assume you're referring to Beetlejuice here. Beelzebub is not exactly the same as Beetlejuice. I will say his name only twice to be safe.

@Luckyowl:
So I know he's definitely townie.
No, you don't. Going to vote someone?

@Tricmagic:
Guess what is left is Icytea if he has a hat? Mine happens to intercept all actions against a target, apparently. Same with being a phase hat.
You dunce, why would you say this before IcyTea responded?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 26, 2020, 11:39:30 am »

Unvote

heydude6

Heydude6 is faking it hard. Explanation to come.
Icytea, this does not come across as good to me. Heydude hasn't really come across as scum to me so far. Mostly due to others.
That's because when I made that post, I had information you didn't have: that I had been targeted by the ability heydude claimed to be targeted by, and which is of a sort (killing) that's rarely multiple-targeting.

Don't remember this gotcha.
TricMagic. Personally, when I am scum I often get this wrenching feeling that I have made a mistake, and it gives me an urge to cover for this perceived mistake with an explanation afterwards. Do you also get this feeling?

But you can confirm people who target you?
Not exactly. I can confirm that I was targeted, and what message I received. That message included a role name, but not who has that role.

Are you absolutely sure?
One's based on the other, you know that?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool mafia game
« Reply #324 on: December 26, 2020, 11:45:10 am »

Owl: Don't ignore my questions, please.
And don't WIFOM me. "Scum!me wouldn't act like this because X" is a bad reason. Scum!you knows this, and is free to act like that to try to act like Town!you.

Owl:

With that out of the way.Because IcyTea31 opened with that really cool overly confidence self-voting.  I'm going to say IcyTea31 is townie and is the only I trust so far.
Okay, cool. What're you going to do with this information?
How far does your trust extend?
What exactly do you think of his slip-up Vector highlighted here?
IcyTea, IcyTea, IcyTea. Why did you reveal your nefarious plot now? Luckyowl hasn't even posted yet. Why should town listen to anything an unjustified self-voter has to say?
Because not listening to people is how one loses this game as town, and I have knowledge town doesn't have. It seems to me that the only reason you'd have no reason to listen to me is if I don't have knowledge that you don't as well.
Why are you giving your trust away so early into D1, and then sticking to it?
Do you plan to do more than buddy up with Tea in D1?
Are you aware that you're buddying Tea, and that buddying is an easy scum tell for novices?
I won't be doing any townread as it doesn't mean anything to me. Will it make me look scum? Yeah, but if you think I'm scum then you're emotionally thinking rather than logically. Hence unravelling the facade that Mafia is all my rational thinking.

As I said I'm going to put all my trust on IcyTea31. As it's the most townie thing to do. Trust is important to me.
Hooo boy. Why do you think blindly trusting the first person to do something random in RVS is the most townie thing to do?
If trust is important, why do you give it so quickly?
If actions matter, why not wait and see who finds scum?

Heydude:
Anyway, of those two scenarios which do you think makes more sense?
Too much wine, didn't read.

I counter with personal experience. I knew who the scum were in one game and nobody listened to me and chose to listen to the scum instead. I die, we lose, I'm proven to be right on in the aftermath. This was Secret Hitler btw, and it definitely happens a lot in Among Us too. Do you think this anecdote is worthless?
Yes. I don't expect mechanical proof to be reliable in this setup, and have never personally had a much stronger read than a guess in this.

I lied about some of the details in order to see if I could bait someone into calling my bluff.
Mmm, lying. Don't do that.

This sudden shift into hats is weird.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 26, 2020, 11:57:12 am »

LuckyOwl:  Okay, I skimmed Paranormal 26 to see if this was in or out of character for you, and it looks like it's in.  That said, you're not actually helping or contributing.  If you don't have an actual suspicion yet, read until you get one, then report back.

Everyone: If I were scum, trust me. I wouldn't act this way. My scum team would've threw me under bus and yell at me in the scum chat. But I have no filter because I have no scum chat, I have no scum team, and I'm not scum. If everyone want to put your energy on me. Then so be it. But it would be a grave mistake. I'm looking for people to trust and the only one I trust is IcyTea31.

Never trust anyone who says "trust me."

Dolores:
Toaster
Dolores:  You definition of who needs to be lynched for lurking comes off as arbitrary.
I mean, didn't I say I don't believe in it (Lynch all Lurkers)?
If I had a concrete answer to 'who needs to be lynched for lurking' I'd advocate the policy of lynching players under those conditions. I don't, so I don't. Like I said, me leaving/moving my vote around on mostly inactive players doesn't mean that's who I want to lynch.

I wouldn't say you definitively said it was a bad thing.  If you don't believe it, you still keep all its old texts and a picture of the two of you together in a drawer somewhere.  That said, I think you're doing something else and it's just your side hobby, which I can understand.

IcyTea:  I'm voting you because you made a slip.  It's not really the case (especially this early in the game) that can be expounded upon much.  Maybe I can read off your current vote and its case... oh wait, you're not voting anyone.  Who do you actually suspect?  Your read list was quite inconclusive.

Speaking of:
heydude6: Was going in the short answer bin with the mechanical fluff earlier, but I've been hit by an ability. The ability doesn't seem like the kind that double-targets, so I'm going to say it's heydude6 himself who's behind it. Roles might not be alignment-indicative, but I'll say the role name is a really damning one. To be fair, it's outguessing to say that a killing ability won't double-target, but since it's "voluntary" I'm not entirely certain.

That bit I underlined: you really think a role name a player submitted before the game started is going to have any influence on their alignment?

Vector:
Vector
So you do believe in the legitimacy of that slip, and do think that ICT is more likely than the average to be non-town. How do you feel about Jim's case on him, such as it is? How would you feel about players who go after ICT primarily over that slip?

I think that the case for ICT is more or less isomorphic to the case for FallacyofUrist. Both have been doing something like stalling and acting random (seemingly) for the sake of randomness. Anyway -- I think that Jim's case is credible for ICT, by Day 1 standards.

You're letting Jim off awfully easy here.  Why?  I know you know he can do better than that.

Heydude:  Just so we're absolutely 100% crystal clear with no room for other interpretation, variation, or change of claim later, you got your message about being contracted at this point in the game, and not earlier in the day?  I want absolute confirmation on this.

Why are you so sure scum hit you with that ability and not a townie who monumentally distrusts you?

4maskwolf:
Scum: Jim Groovester

Why aren't you voting your only scumread?

TricMagic:

Why do you care?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 26, 2020, 12:00:58 pm »

If I ignored everything I haven't read since I went to bed last night would I actually miss anything?

Jim, tedious, pedantic, verbose discussion is pro town! Why are you against it?

Get bent. I'm happy you have the patience to trade walls of text with each other over and over and over again but I don't.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 26, 2020, 12:04:53 pm »

Jim:  Why is Day 1 so exhausting to you if all you've done is push for a lynch on IcyTea for self-voting?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 26, 2020, 12:05:16 pm »

If I ignored everything I haven't read since I went to bed last night would I actually miss anything?

Jim, tedious, pedantic, verbose discussion is pro town! Why are you against it?

Get bent. I'm happy you have the patience to trade walls of text with each other over and over and over again but I don't.
I'd sort of agree here.

Hmm. Unvote Dolores. IcyTea just ignored my question, and Toaster wonders why I care? I think the hats are actually kind of important to someone.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2020, 12:10:32 pm »

Let's see what I've missed. it shouldn't be too bad since it's the holi- Ohmygosh it's five pages.

Welp, catch-up time I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 122