Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101331 times)

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2020, 07:37:51 pm »

A quick mechanical note before I start:
My hat says nothing about 'drops on death' or whatever. There's no line at the end like on badges. My initial thinking (regarding the scenario where the hats are needed for the wincon of an sk/town-hostile third party) was that that would be a part of the abilities of the third party, that in their role explicitly they would have something saying that they get the hats of players that die.
I haven't been told anything about being able to gift my hat (not that I would probably be able to do so with my action blocker), neither the general hat ability information nor the hat that I have say anything about it. Unless it's an unstated property of all items (which I'd doubt additionally because badges say explicitly that they drop on death, and there's no proof at all that they're giftable).

Webely-san: is there anything that can be done with 'item' abilities or 'items' that isn't listed in the abilities a player is told when they receive or own an item? If a player with no interfering role purchased a badge, would they be able to 'gift' it in any way?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2020, 07:47:01 pm »

To note, voting Icytea cause he has a hat and didn't actually say what it was. Dolores has the Time Stopper Hat, which delays actions as they stated.

For Luckyowl, his logic was inconsistent, so I placed a vote on him for pressure.

To dolores, I asked webadict if others could give hats to me. They can as an action, day or night. And one of my autos picks them up when the player dies.(barring abilities which just out and out remove the player.) The badges are another of my autos. And the last is passive to let me use two more hat actions.

As for badges, I got the info on that item with my role. Anyone who buys one will may get it as well.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2020, 07:48:04 pm »

When I got my role PM, it specifically went out of the way to tell me that all of my items would drop on death.

I also asked webadict a question about giving items and he said that all items can be traded to other players, but it counts as an action in the phase.

He also said that he would mention the above in the main thread at some point, but I guess he didn’t get around to doing that.

Webadict maybe it’s time?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2020, 08:05:38 pm »

Webely-san: is there anything that can be done with 'item' abilities or 'items' that isn't listed in the abilities a player is told when they receive or own an item? If a player with no interfering role purchased a badge, would they be able to 'gift' it in any way?
Thank you for making that big text. These are always hard to see.

Creating or purchasing a Badge allows you to apply it to a player at no cost.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2020, 08:11:46 pm »

Creating?

Hm. That's interesting.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 26, 2020, 08:12:22 pm »

Webadict maybe it’s time?

Did you ignore me on purpose?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 26, 2020, 08:13:06 pm »

RULES NOTES/SEMI-UPDATE: Many of you have realized that you carry Items! Items may be traded as an action once each Phase.

Nevermind

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 26, 2020, 08:14:56 pm »

I haven't been told anything about being able to gift my hat ..... Unless it's an unstated property of all items (which I'd doubt additionally because badges say explicitly that they drop on death, and there's no proof at all that they're giftable).

My previous post should answer your question btw.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 26, 2020, 08:17:39 pm »

Yeah, I see it. Turns out I can't read, who knew (everyone that's played with me before).

Badge Seller: I would like to buy a Fast Hatter Badge and apply it to heydude6

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 26, 2020, 08:19:27 pm »

And why are you doing that, dolores? Unless you mentioned why in an earlier post and I missed it.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 26, 2020, 08:24:05 pm »

I'm reviewing post histories and writing up longform reads atm but basically I think heydude is town, I can't use or trade badges (and if a situation came up where I could I'd opt to just win instead), and out of what tric's claimed this seems like the badge with the biggest ability to break hostile plots to mechanically solve the game (and it's here right now and I don't play very long term with avoiding revealing mechanical options)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 26, 2020, 08:30:18 pm »

Badge Seller: I would like to buy a Fast Hatter Badge and apply it to heydude6
dolores throws money down from the top of the scoreboard and into the Badge Seller's outstretched hands. "Can you put that on heydude6? Thanks." The Badge Seller flicks its wrists and throws the Badge across the room, before it collides into heydude6, sending the poor dude through an unfortunately placed table and splitting it in two.

heydude6 gives a thumbs up from the wreckage.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 26, 2020, 08:34:18 pm »

Thank you for making that big text. These are always hard to see.

Creating or purchasing a Badge allows you to apply it to a player at no cost.
Oh, I missed the first part of this question. The answer is that Items can be traded as an action. I did mention that, but I had forgotten to include that in the Information for players, so I made note of it here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 26, 2020, 08:39:03 pm »

I just want to confirm that I got it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #404 on: December 26, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »

If you wrote a dense wall of text I completely ignored it.

Thanks for the fries, FallacyofUrist. I really appreciate you targeting me with your dubiously useful ability.

Compare his answer to yours. Both of you rejected my question, but Jim just brushes it aside while you at least say something constructive in your response. I find it uncharacteristically flippant. It may not seem like much yet, but we may see it in a different light later on in the game.
Jim Groovestor. You may have had a point if you were the only person to respond to this question, but 4maskwolf and Iceytea were both able understand the question and give good answers. Am I really supposed to believe a veteran who's been around since the first beginner game isn't capable of understanding a question other veterans can understand?

I wasn't being flippant (okay I was being a little flippant), I did not understand the question you were asking and still don't.

Due to Christmas shenanigans I've been writing this post for a while, and now I see you post this. Are you trying to pass yourself off as a jester? Because I doubt you would be unaware of how anti-town that course of action would be.

. . .

And you double down. Do you really see no value in day 1?

Do not put words in my mouth.

I'm not saying there's no value in Day 1, I'm saying I want to get it over with because it's been a tedious chore so far.

And calling me a jester because I don't like tedium is kind of ridiculous.

Jim is obviously acting anti-town and playing badly

BITE ME

I will forever contend not wanting to spend my free time slaving away at a tedious mafia game does not make me a poor player or anti town.

No, fuck you. We lynch people because they're scummy, not because they're just plain bad. If you can give me a reason you think the tea is evil? Sure. Otherwise? Fries for the fast food god. Ketchup for the arched throne.

I'm not voting IcyTea31 because he's bad, and I'm not voting him because of his self-vote RVS gambit (I did vote him at the start to call him out for his gambit though). I'm voting him because of his self-vote RVS gambit and his bizarre confidence that the alignment he claims has i.e. town is enough for everyone else to see him that way. I can't figure it out except as an even more audacious gambit than just starting RVS by voting yourself.

Other people's cases e.g. him slipping up and saying 'I have information the town doesn't have' don't really bother me as much.

In fact, if you care who I suspect and where my vote is so much, let's put it on you: Toaster. If you're not going to develop your cases to ascertain their truths and don't even care about figuring out factual matters, I don't see how your mindset is in anyway town-sided.

. . .

If the fact that your current target is town means nothing to you, you're scum, plain and simple.

And now you're voting Toaster for the perfectly acceptable action of asking for your list of suspicions.

Do you really have this little self-awareness? If you actually are town (which I doubt) there's no way you can argue that it is apparent to anybody else based on the way you are acting.

Uwaaah it's so haaaard uuwaaaah.

YES IT IS

Jim: I asked you a question too, on why you would rather hammer an end a productive D1 instead of lurking.
The answer to your question is TEDIUM.

Maybe I don't want to lurk and maybe I do want to stay engaged in the game (but fucking hell this game really strains my desire to do this). This leaves me two choices 1) just deal with the tedium, which I don't want to do, or 2) end the day early via hammers.

a productive D1

heh

Either way, I have a perfectly good reason to lynch Icytea no matter my alignment. There is a 2/3 chance of getting a good hat out of it. The --- is more random to me and useful in the hands of the Mafia.

Thinking on it, what mask do you have Icytea? It won't mean much, but still nice for everyone to know.

Why does it also sound like you have a perfectly good reason to lynch IcyTea31 despite his alignment? It seems like you want to lynch him for his hat above any other goals.

I didn't pay much attention to really much of anything on my read through but aren't you concerned whether he actually is town or not?

Either way, I have a perfectly good reason to lynch Icytea no matter my alignment. There is a 2/3 chance of getting a good hat out of it. The --- is more random to me and useful in the hands of the Mafia.
Do you have a reason for anyone else to vote them, other than your surprise doc claim?

What? Where did TricMagic claim doc?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 122