Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101424 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #405 on: December 26, 2020, 08:48:27 pm »

Tricmagic claimed that if they get IcyTea's hat, they will become a doc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 26, 2020, 08:49:10 pm »

Oh, sorry. 2 of the 3 hats that ICT might be holding.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #407 on: December 26, 2020, 08:49:47 pm »

Alright. So my passive skills allows me to modify someone's abilities that adds an additional ability on top of their ability. So the action I did on TricMagic. IcyTea31 will be able to do the same when he use the ability I modified.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 26, 2020, 09:05:52 pm »

Technically I think his most straightforward claim was only a strengthened intercept, and that it would be sacrificial to use before getting the hat.
I don't know what that would be other than doc.
Guess what is left is Icytea if he has a hat? Mine happens to intercept all actions against a target, apparently. Same with being a phase hat.
Simple, because I can use them. With three hats my full night power is available to me. If I were to collect any hat other than the Dweller Mask, my protection abilities would be improved. Granted, you don't now my alignment, but if I had the ability to kill, why would I be so public in asking?

Tric, if it's so important to get the hat off of Tea, why did you give up the attack to go after a confusing novice, after a token effort?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 26, 2020, 09:14:28 pm »

At this point I'm pretty much certain that TricMagic's role is 'Hat Kid' or something similar (from the A Hat In Time video game). The question is whether it's a good idea to let him collect his hats. If he's town, giving him his hats might make him into a really powerful force. Basic assumption is that collecting them all will unlock some sort of powerful ability or additional factor, after all, though I may be wrong about that. But he could also be a serial killer who gets more ability to kill by collecting more hats, outright mafia, or an outsider who needs his hats to win (in that case we're better off keeping the hats for ourselves if we have any, as more power in the town's hands is a good thing).

The biggest thing that makes me want to make my vote on Tric serious is that he wants IcyTea's hat to the point of lynching them to get it. I can totally get that if IcyTea is scum, but at present there doesn't seem to be a conclusive case on them? I doubt whatever benefit Tric gains from gaining more hats is worth a dead townie, even if Tric's hypothetically town.

If you wrote a dense wall of text I completely ignored it.

Thanks for the fries, FallacyofUrist. I really appreciate you targeting me with your dubiously useful ability.
You just wrote a dense wall of text, you nincompoop. To sum up your words up for someone who doesn't want to read that: tedium drive Jim craycray. No tedium good, so hammer early good. Jim vote Tea cause Tea bad. Tric vote Tea cause Tric want hat.

Yes, tedium is bad. But hammering someone before we get information from the day is worse (and furthermore, if I remember correctly, a hammer requires 9 players currently and is thus nearly unachievable without an absurd bandwagon). So... stop whining about it and engage in more reasonable mitigation strategies? And vote someone with an actual case behind it.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 26, 2020, 09:27:18 pm »

So I went through and tallied TricMagic's votes and the apparent reasons behind them (in order of earliest to most recent):

Webadict // doesn’t count

Caz (replaced by Nirur Torir) // RVS

Dolores // Suspecting Dolores of having an alternate win condition because they talked about the possibility of them

IcyTea // ‘Hats are actually kind of important to someone’

IcyTea // Probably for emphasis

LuckyOwl // Says Owl has inconsistent logic

None of these look like solid votes. I don't think Tric is actually acting like a townie - I haven't seen a hint of any investigations, either. They're prioritizing their hats over finding people who want to get us all killed.

TricMagic for the above reasons.

Am I 100% certain? No. But I do think it's likely. I'm still willing to change my mind if Tric puts something more solid up, though.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 26, 2020, 10:04:05 pm »

If you wrote a dense wall of text I completely ignored it.

Thanks for the fries, FallacyofUrist. I really appreciate you targeting me with your dubiously useful ability.
You just wrote a dense wall of text, you nincompoop. To sum up your words up for someone who doesn't want to read that: tedium drive Jim craycray. No tedium good, so hammer early good. Jim vote Tea cause Tea bad. Tric vote Tea cause Tric want hat.

Summary’s are useful, but rhetoric is important to preserve too. Anyway, as far as wall-of-text standards are concerned, that Jim post was pretty reasonable.

The problem with this game is that we’ve got these things that I like to call superwalls, like Dolores and recently me. I literally didn’t sleep last night because I had to write 3 walls back-to-back. One for the Caz replacement, one for Dolores, and one to Iceytea.

That’s a problem. That’s what makes a game unfun.

Jim, I get the frustration of all this. I experienced it pretty severely first-hand, but that doesn’t mean it’s right to rob the townies who are willing to work through this of the chance to find scum.

I’ll ask you a simple question. Based on how this game is going, what do you think of our chances of lynching scum day 1? What do you think of the idea of being able to lynch scum day 1 in general?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 26, 2020, 10:08:30 pm »

FOU: Well We'll have to wait and see what Tric will do with my day action. Also are you some sort of French fries pirate? That's sort of the impression I got off from you. Circling back to TricMagic changing vote. I think that's just who he is. BP3 he did the same thing pointing fingers on anyone who showed any sign of being a scum. This paranoia play however, is what led Heydude6 to kill him with an assassin bot.

Juicebox: could you explain why you voted me? The other three gave their reason. But you haven't.

TricMagic:  you better use my day action for good. Or I'll be very upset. Young man.

IcyTea31: what's the deal with all those heads?...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 26, 2020, 10:21:00 pm »

Jim, I get the frustration of all this. I experienced it pretty severely first-hand, but that doesn’t mean it’s right to rob the townies who are willing to work through this of the chance to find scum.

I’ll ask you a simple question. Based on how this game is going, what do you think of our chances of lynching scum day 1? What do you think of the idea of being able to lynch scum day 1 in general?

Day 1 mislynches are pretty common in general. Day 1 scum lynches are possible but you generally have to have a scum team make an extremely apparent slip and have a town on the ball enough to pick up on it and decisively act on it.

Looking at Day 1 of this game in particular, it's such a morass already that I think a mislynch is almost a certainty (except if you vote IcyTea31 with me, of course), and the chance of that goes up the longer the day goes on. You remember my question to Toaster about how the longer a day goes on there will be several distinct bandwagons form? Looking back I think me saying two or three will be a significant underestimate. And the day ends on the 29th, meaning plenty more of this to get through.

A long, muddy day like this won't just muck up Day 1 though, it will also muck up future days especially if there is a mislynch. Looking back at this day through the prism of the Day 1 lynch and whatever Night 1 information we get likely won't yield very much since everything is already so cloudy.

I'm expressing a great deal in personal preference in asking for a hammer to end the day early (and I don't seriously expect that that will happen), but I don't think it's unreasonable either to push for a more decisive end to the day as a way to mitigate the murk.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #414 on: December 26, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »

How exactly?
For example, at the time of that (my) post heydude had posted an (imo) weak and poor OP and not the analysis and walls of engagement he later came out with. Juicebox is posting sporadically and picking weird and largely inconsequential to respond to. Caz was refusing to engage with the game, I hope to god that luckyowl's play right now isn't the limit of their personal ability.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 26, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

Spoiler: Shortform (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Townreads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shitlist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scum (click to show/hide)
4maskwolf: where are you? Can you elaborate on what you think about your 'People of interest' (heydude, IcyTea, FallacyOfUrist, ToonyMan)
Leafsnail: why does Vector's post about ICT's 'slip' bother you so much more than Toasters, is it just because it's noncomittal? Since you don't believe in the 'slip' as a scumslip, how do you feel about the fact that Toaster is doubling down on it as such?
Are you voting for the player you want lynched? Who else is scummy besides TricMagic?
ToonyMan: what's your position on the alignments of dolores and ICT? Why have you dropped the strand of ICT self-voting in RVS that made you want to go after him? Why aren't you voting for me, is just because you feel very strongly that TricMagic needs to be lynched?

'Scum' players (4maskwolf, Leafsnail, TricMagic, ToonyMan): it'd help a lot if you could post a set of articulated reads, particularly 4mask/Leaf/Tric since I don't know what you're thinking and where your opinions are at in the game so far.

Regarding ending the day, the only quickhammer I could stomach would be TricMagic, because I don't think we're going to get much more out of him. My problem with ToonyMan is that I don't understand his reasoning, so if he could explain it to me such that I did I'd walk it back because right now I think that it's faked.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 26, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »

FOU: Well We'll have to wait and see what Tric will do with my day action. Also are you some sort of French fries pirate? That's sort of the impression I got off from you. Circling back to TricMagic changing vote. I think that's just who he is. BP3 he did the same thing pointing fingers on anyone who showed any sign of being a scum. This paranoia play however, is what led Heydude6 to kill him with an assassin bot.
I don't know why you're using Bastard Paranormal 3, key word bastard, as evidence of how Tric would act during a game where the players aren't playing Exterminator Hunger Games. Especially since he died in the middle of Day 1 there.

The fact that he changed his vote isn't really what concerns me, I changed my vote many more times than him already as far as I know. No, what concerns me is that finding scum doesn't even seem to be on his radar as a priority. Vote will be changed contingent on him starting a serious case on at least one person.

As for you, LuckyOwl? I get that you're new (as far as I can tell), so let me give you a thought exercise. What would Tric's justification for all his actions (so far) be if he were either mafia or an anti-town third party?
Generic Arms Race.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:59 pm »

Going to bed, guys. No answers for a few hours. Hopefully this vote count is correct.

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf -
dolores -
FallacyofUrist - 4maskwolf*, heydude6*,
heydude6 -
IcyTea31 - Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
Jim Groovester -
juicebox - Luckyowl*,
Leafsnail -
Luckyowl - TricMagic*, juicebox*, NJW2000*,
Nirur Torir - notquitethere*,
NJW2000 -
notquitethere -
Toaster - IcyTea31*,
ToonyMan - dolores*,
TricMagic - Leafsnail*, ToonyMan*, Vector*, FallacyofUrist*,
Vector -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Nirur Torir*,

9 To Hammer. Day ends December 29th, 2020 at 19:00 CST (~69 hours from now).

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 26, 2020, 10:52:49 pm »

Oddly enough though, even though the Tric train is biggest right now, only my vote on him has substance behind it. Leafsnail's vote on him was an RVS vote and Toony / Vector's votes barely had justification behind it at all.

Leafsnail, Toonyman, Vector: Care to reevaluate your current vote? Assuming Wuba's count is correct, that is. Not that I find voting Tric to be a bad idea, but I at least want you to tell me why you're still voting Tric - or select a better target (in your view).
Generic Arms Race.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 26, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »

I don't know why you're using Bastard Paranormal 3, key word bastard, as evidence of how Tric would act during a game where the players aren't playing Exterminator Hunger Games. Especially since he died in the middle of Day 1 there.

The fact that he changed his vote isn't really what concerns me, I changed my vote many more times than him already as far as I know. No, what concerns me is that finding scum doesn't even seem to be on his radar as a priority. Vote will be changed contingent on him starting a serious case on at least one person.

As for you, LuckyOwl? I get that you're new (as far as I can tell), so let me give you a thought exercise. What would Tric's justification for all his actions (so far) be if he were either mafia or an anti-town third party?

Ugh. Let's see his justification...well one thing I think everyone is glossing over is why he would say he needs IcyTea31's hat to everyone? If he is scum wouldn't he keep that to himself? I don't think we would slip up that bad. He can be a bastard, sure. But he's not foolish enough to say such a thing as a scum. This of course leads back to that question. Why would he tell everyone he need IcyTea31's hat? I think a few people mentioned that he needs IcyTea31 dead in order to get that hat. Sooo...if that's the case, do we really need a townie who need others to die in order to become powerful? I know I sort of went off with the question...but I don't really understand TricMagic's move when I actually think about it. Still, I think there's just a big misunderstanding and maybe he can explain himself.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 122