Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 101370 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #495 on: December 27, 2020, 03:31:23 pm »

EBWOP: And Tricmagic, whatever is going on there.  I kinda skimmed over a lot of his and Fallacy's early posts because they were spastic and weird and now I have to go reread them again.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #496 on: December 27, 2020, 03:31:27 pm »

Gotcha. We really shouldn't leave it out the ball just yet. For now we should keep it around. Maybe it's not the bosses from the game, but a hostile creature from the game or something.
I've watched Merg play A Hat In Time all the way through, and I don't recall there being any hydra creature in the game.

Because I believe Luckyowl is town and isn't lying about it, but I don't have an ability named Hydraform and I haven't said "it can help both Mafia and town". Therefore, LO is chatting with someone who's claiming to be me.
I'm unsure about the 'is town' part (they're pretty fixated on their own honesty), but the rest of your logic seems at least likely to be valid.

Back to TricMagic.

You said it can help both Mafia and town.
I didn't really talk to anyone.

These two statements are contradictory, though.

Yeah, don't marry to my words. I'm very fickle so I'm might change my mind around.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 27, 2020, 03:36:19 pm »

Yeah, don't marry to my words. I'm very fickle so I'm might change my mind around.
Changing your mind about reads is one thing. Changing your mind about what actually happened is another thing. You said you were told the 'Hydraform' power could help both Mafia and town. Then you said nobody told you anything.

Those two statements directly contradict each other. It's not something you can just change your mind on - unless you were lying the first time, LuckyOwl?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 27, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »

What's a sqaud modifier?
That's what my sqaud modifier picked up when I used my action on TricMagic. If it's not your ability then I guess it hints your role to me. So are you a Hydra?
If I tell the truth, I give scum an information advantage against me. If I lie, I damage the picture town is trying to build. Unless there's a good reason that will give town a greater advantage, I dismiss questions like this as a matter of course.
You're learning fast. The reason that I refuse to answer some questions is that this is a public thread that scum is reading as well. There are a few things I know that scum don't know, such as what my abilities do. However, information that scum does have, such as what abilities they have used on me, is safe to say publicly. When you make a claim of having performed an action, it's to the town's advantage to know exactly how the ability works, and you need to decide yourself whether that advantage is greater than the advantage scum gain from knowing how the ability works.

Was this an ability you used, or an ability that was used on you?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 27, 2020, 03:56:57 pm »

... there's actually a Hat In Time villain who uses contracts - the Snatcher. Not sure if it's likely to be relevant, but it's an interesting thought.

Aside from that?

IcyTea + LuckyOwl. I'm going to re-read the interactions specifically between you two. I've got a hunch, and I don't know if it'll pan out, but LuckyOwl's 'You said it can help both Mafia and town' makes me suspicious.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #500 on: December 27, 2020, 04:09:47 pm »

Luckyowl, in all that nonsense, managed to (probably accidentally) claim one of their abilities to me. The ability isn't of a kind that makes sense for solo players like SKs to have, but would fit town and mafia equally.
Looked back and apparently I did say it. I was referring to the ability that I figured out Luckyowl must have, not to any of my own abilities.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 27, 2020, 04:18:03 pm »

Alright, I'm going to try and piece some things together.

Well, if I'm going to die. I'll utilize my role.

TricMagic I just used my day action on you. When I use my action a passive skill is trigger that allows me to choose another player. I chose IcyTea31.
'When I use my action a passive skill is trigger[ed] that allows me to choose another player.' This is probably the 'squad modifier' mentioned.

Alright. So my passive skills allows me to modify someone's abilities that adds an additional ability on top of their ability. So the action I did on TricMagic. IcyTea31 will be able to do the same when he use the ability I modified.
Hm.

FOU: Well We'll have to wait and see what Tric will do with my day action.

TricMagic:  you better use my day action for good. Or I'll be very upset. Young man.

IcyTea31: what's the deal with all those heads?...
So... Owl stuck his day action to one of Tric's actions?

Heads relates to Hydra.

Luckyowl, in all that nonsense, managed to (probably accidentally) claim one of their abilities to me. The ability isn't of a kind that makes sense for solo players like SKs to have, but would fit town and mafia equally.
Looked back and apparently I did say it. I was referring to the ability that I figured out Luckyowl must have, not to any of my own abilities.
Ah, I see. That's pretty relevant.

IcyTea31: Could you explain what your Hydraform ability do? You don't have to go in details just give us a skeletal overview on it. You said it can help both Mafia and town. If that's correct, in what way can it help town? In what way can it help Mafia?
Owl thinks Tea has Hydraform.

That's what my sqaud modifier picked up when I used my action on TricMagic. If it's not your ability then I guess it hints your role to me. So are you a Hydra?

The 'told me' which I thought was scummy could also vaguely refer to an investigative effect.

To conclude my analysis:

LuckyOwl used his action on TricMagic, which secondarily investigated IcyTea, which applied some sort of ability grafting to both of them.

My initial hunch was some sort of cult shenanigans, but that doesn't seem as likely now. It's just a convoluted day action with a bunch of autos mixed in.
Generic Arms Race.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2020, 04:23:16 pm »

EBWOP (abbreviation for 'since I can't edit, I'm adding this addendum'):

It actually looks like Lucky has multiple auto abilities. Additionally, I recall something Tric said earlier.

The fact they apparently have an extra action now does not help IcyTea. The extra action I got does not help me at all, less I just want to do Leave a Comment for whatever reason. Still don't like the guy who just up'n'up and gave me a second action though, given it's uselessness to me.
Probably relevant here.

It's interesting information, but unfortunately none of it actually pointed to some sort of scum-buddy or cult relationship like I was hoping to see, so I'm still voting TricMagic for the moment.
Generic Arms Race.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #503 on: December 27, 2020, 04:27:09 pm »

What's a sqaud modifier?
If I tell the truth, I give scum an information advantage against me. If I lie, I damage the picture town is trying to build. Unless there's a good reason that will give town a greater advantage, I dismiss questions like this as a matter of course.
You're learning fast. The reason that I refuse to answer some questions is that this is a public thread that scum is reading as well. There are a few things I know that scum don't know, such as what my abilities do. However, information that scum does have, such as what abilities they have used on me, is safe to say publicly. When you make a claim of having performed an action, it's to the town's advantage to know exactly how the ability works, and you need to decide yourself whether that advantage is greater than the advantage scum gain from knowing how the ability works.

Was this an ability you used, or an ability that was used on you?

Yeah, there's a risk and reward when you do what I did. In one hand. It at least make you look townie to my fellow townie. On the other the Mafia just got some information off of me. Like performing my action on Tric was a bad move as he said what he got. He didn't say my name, but it's not that hard to deduct where that "extra night action" he got. This also put you in a spotlight because I gave you a copy of my ability ontop of your 'hydraform' which I already said many post ago.

I don't really care if mafia know what 25% of my role does as I still got a good 75% with a trump card that I need to be careful on how I use it.

... there's actually a Hat In Time villain who uses contracts - the Snatcher.

Do you think we might be dealing with 4 snatchers who were randomly given a target to kill and if they kill them they will get a reward for it? It's possible for Webadict to have set it up like that.  Given that he just came from a BP3 that had shops and contracts. But perhaps it's common for BYOR to have shops, someone will correct me on that.

4maskwolf: do you wanna play parchesi with me? I'll start with a simple question. Who do you think might be the Mafioso?
Okay yeah if I'm gonna roast people I deserve to have it thrown back in my face.

So far my scumpicks are Jim Groovester and Toonyman.  Toaster and Nirur Torir have managed to slip beneath my notice this game and I need to go take a look over them later today.  Others are all neutral, town, or Fallacy who I need to give a full reread to.

What has Jim Groovester and ToonyMan have done that seems scummy so far?

Also I was roasting myself when I was refered to parchessi. Which I'm of course playing because gotta start somewhere.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 27, 2020, 04:34:22 pm »

LuckyOwl used his action on TricMagic, which secondarily investigated IcyTea, which applied some sort of ability grafting to both of them.
This matches what I've seen from my point of view.

This also put you in a spotlight because I gave you a copy of my ability ontop of your 'hydraform' which I already said many post ago.
Ah, I see what's happened. You copied one of my abilities, but it was renamed in the process. "Hydraform" must be just some random name webadict gave it so you wouldn't get too much information about my role. Presumably, your version of the ability you gave me isn't named after song lyrics?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 27, 2020, 04:38:04 pm »

Do you think we might be dealing with 4 snatchers who were randomly given a target to kill and if they kill them they will get a reward for it? It's possible for Webadict to have set it up like that.  Given that he just came from a BP3 that had shops and contracts. But perhaps it's common for BYOR to have shops, someone will correct me on that.
Apply Occam's Razor here. Simpler theories before more complex theories. Webadict mod-confirmed the existence of four Mafia players.

Yeah, there's a risk and reward when you do what I did. In one hand. It at least make you look townie to my fellow townie. On the other the Mafia just got some information off of me. Like performing my action on Tric was a bad move as he said what he got. He didn't say my name, but it's not that hard to deduct where that "extra night action" he got. This also put you in a spotlight because I gave you a copy of my ability ontop of your 'hydraform' which I already said many post ago.
So do you think Tric is town, if you're choosing to give him your buff?

I'm giving you fries tonight, IcyTea31. When talking about role mechanics, we must always keep in mind we're doing it as a means to an end. We win when we find the mafia and kill them all, along with any serial killers, cults, or other anti-town roles we find along the way. You seem very fixated on this Hydraform business when it has nothing to do with finding who the mafia are.
Generic Arms Race.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2020, 04:44:18 pm »

You seem very fixated on this Hydraform business when it has nothing to do with finding who the mafia are.
It has to do with making sure the town investigator doesn't accidentally give false information to the town.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2020, 04:47:19 pm »

After much thought, I'm sticking with a Tric lynch. The role makes more sense for third party with a hat collection power-up+win instead of a doc that needs to kill, and he's perfectly willing to lynch someone regardless of alignment to get the hats. I'll wait to cast a real vote until after I re-read to get a reads list out, in case it hammers.

FOU: You seem agitated, bouncing your vote around for no clear reason, near the end of the day. Why?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 27, 2020, 04:50:13 pm »

You seem very fixated on this Hydraform business when it has nothing to do with finding who the mafia are.
It has to do with making sure the town investigator doesn't accidentally give false information to the town.
It's not false information about alignment, it's hypothetically false information about an ability in your role. You just seem too defensive about it. Combined with the lack of active, aggressive scum hunting (you've voted 3 people today: yourself, heydude, and Toaster), I'm more than willing to lynch you today as an alternative to Tric. Lynching scum trumps lynching outsider-third parties.

FOU: You seem agitated, bouncing your vote around for no clear reason, near the end of the day. Why?
I'll give you a clear reason - I'm satisfied with a Tric lynch, but I'd prefer a scum lynch, and IcyTea31 is far too defensive here and in general.
Generic Arms Race.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #509 on: December 27, 2020, 05:01:46 pm »

To note, haven't read the rest, but this is the last day of play for me. Given I have no more hats, and people are pushing to kill me, ala Toaster? I propose this scumteam.

Why are you giving up when the day ends on the 29th?

Also, make sure to Leave a Comment, am I town or mafia? Well, not the latter, I propose we all say DOWN WITH THE MAFIA instead. Holds up sign with a crossed out cook.

Oh, so you are a third party. Neato. TricMagic.

I'm trying to think of a third party win condition that isn't friendly to the mafia but I'm only coming up with SK or Cult but I'm not that creative when it comes to BYOR mechanics and alignments.

I looked at those but none of those strike me as unfriendly to the scum team, which is what TricMagic claimed.

It wasn't? Kinda felt like it with the votes coming in and pressure being applied.

Also, what did I claim? Friendliness? No Bonk negates kills made by the wearer, so it's an option to buy it and give it to another?

As for me being thrid party, that is a laugh coming from you Jim Groovester. You in my eyes are the penultimate third party. Leave a Comment is something everyone has from my understanding. If not, only some people got it apparently?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 122