Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124165 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1215 on: November 07, 2021, 01:19:26 am »

I catch up with the group after having fallen behind and been slow to wake up, and upon hearing the yells of Aaron look carefully in the direction he's pointing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1216 on: November 08, 2021, 09:55:31 pm »

Spoiler: aa (click to show/hide)

Aa stares at the crater where that incomprehensible clash of magic occurred, totally caught off guard by the fact that such things could even happen. In an unfocused state she momentarily forgets about the mission and falls back on simpler desires.

Scan the crater with the needle eye for any tasty magical residue I could eat. And then eat it!
Aa scrambles into the crater and eats handfuls of mildly magical but completely unhelpful dirt.

Once he has gotten over his shock, Aaron attempts to look though his needle at the monsters he spotted, and tries to know and warn people how many there are.

Oy, what a pain. I suppose we should’ve expected something like this.

Well, at least they didn’t get away.

Aaron looks a bit too hysterical for Grey’s liking but we may as well check it out. Grey stores his rifle and takes out his needle.  After scanning the tree line with his needle and with his eyes, Grey carefully makes his way over and looks for any sign that anything was there, disturbed foliage or suspicious goo and such.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
"Did we fuck up so hard it exploded?"
Aim my rifleaxe at the woods and be ready to fire at the big head guys if needed.
Ho! Ho! Ho!  Where did they go?”, Hugh asks no one in particular as he scans the surroundings with his needle.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

"Woops."
Place whatever is in my hand on the ground in front of me and inspect it. if  grabbed nothing, due to the clusterfuck, then just inspect the field and then the woods with my needle.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
I catch up with the group after having fallen behind and been slow to wake up, and upon hearing the yells of Aaron look carefully in the direction he's pointing.

The team, needles pressed to their eyes, weapons at the ready, slowly advances towards the edge of the forest. The first of them to look glimpse momentary movement, a flicker of undergrowth and a dull shimmer of magic but can see nothing particular. Aaron, for his part, got only the impression of an odd bulbous head peeking out through the trees before it vanished.  The magic doesn't linger and by the time they reach the treeline there is nothing left of it. They spread out a bit, searching for clues. The foliage is disturbed: branches bent and broken while the coating of pine needles and fallen leaves on the ground betrays the retreat of...something. There are no footprints on the rich soil, at least none that betray themselves as such. No items are left behind either, no discarded cigarette or scrap of cloth caught on the branches. Though...there is what looks like clumps of disturbed soil here and there.  The only thing that can be gleaned is that whoever was watching them wasn't alone: the disturbed foliage marks the movements of at least 4 individuals, possibly more if they're moving in close formation. Odder yet, they do not disperse in the same direction. Instead of trundling off in a line like you would expect from stalkers- shambling away to return to their lair- these marks go out in all directions. Each of the unknown crowd seems to have vanished into the woods in a different direction. And, perhaps the most subtle,  the wildlife of the area did not become silent and cautious until the team wandered in. Whatever these watchers were, the wildlife did not view them as a possible threat and thus did not grow silent as the stalkers crouched in wait in the bushes.

The place these unknown watchers were hiding is directly in line with the direction the thing Grey saw was going.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Hungry
« Reply #1217 on: November 08, 2021, 10:19:17 pm »

"Not enough evidence to follow a trail. But there is some. Something we need but not in sufficient quantities, that seems like an area where a Glutton excels, yes?"

Choose one of the directions which one of the creatures seems to have gone in, and... eat the Evidence of its passage. Not the physical items it touched, but the clues it left behind its passage. Eat until no evidence remains, then start producing more Evidence from my body in an attempt to track the creature.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 08, 2021, 11:23:24 pm »

"This isn't helpful at all. Whatever these abominations are, they are intelligent, and magical. I'm going to try and figure out if they all live in the same spot or not. That could make life easier or harder for us."

Aaron attempts to know if these "things" all live in the same location when they aren't prowling, and if so, how far away it is.

(I just realized that I forgot to add random food to my sleeves a while back, when I put it in. I'll add it now.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:18:25 pm by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 09, 2021, 03:22:13 am »

"I wonder if they're pissed off that we blew up their friend?"
Ask the trees and whatever animals are around what those creatures are and where they live.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 09, 2021, 05:24:23 am »

"Hopefully they're involved with the disappearances, otherwise this'll be a bit embarrassing."

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 09, 2021, 12:19:24 pm »

"Even if they aren't, they are causing harm to the village, and can be treated as a secondary pest to exterminate."
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 09, 2021, 01:40:45 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Now, if only we had a cognizant who could tell us where they went…”, Hugh muses.

Hugh then gets an idea.

Hold on!  We’re going for a ride! Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he firmly grabs Grey and Genesis (if unable to obtain either “passenger”, Hugh replaces each of them with another humonculus).  Hugh then eats all of the possible wrong answers to the question of where the things that Aaron saw are currently located and then, with only one possible answer remaining and two “passengers”, eats the distance between himself and that place (provided he has two “passengers”, otherwise he simply tells everyone the answer).

Edit:  made a slight addition…

Edit:  clarification of intent…
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:28:08 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 09, 2021, 02:13:25 pm »

Go gather some gourds into my sleeves, then head into the woods. Find a small clearing, place the gourds down, place my gloves, eyes out, on two of the gourds like little hats. Tap the glove and the gourd with my needle to sew them together. intent is just to stick the glove to the gourd so it can't be pulled off, not to combine them into some sort of frankengourd handwear. Then return to the inn and close my eyes to wait and watch. One of the gourd gloves is Grey's so he should be able to see what I see.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 09, 2021, 06:22:50 pm »

((Just made a small addition to my previous post.))

Edit:

((…and clarified it…))
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 06:28:43 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 12, 2021, 10:02:16 am »

There are plenty of tracks to be seen around here. Grey Maintains his perception of the tracks left by the creatures and follows one of the trails, avoiding the one Aa is working on.

If magic fails, just track one of them normally. Can’t be too hard if unmagical humans can do it.

Oh yeah, Grey also ditches his disguise.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:02:22 am by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 16, 2021, 03:51:33 am »

((Lenglon, where are you?))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1227 on: November 16, 2021, 09:39:00 pm »

"Not enough evidence to follow a trail. But there is some. Something we need but not in sufficient quantities, that seems like an area where a Glutton excels, yes?"

Choose one of the directions which one of the creatures seems to have gone in, and... eat the Evidence of its passage. Not the physical items it touched, but the clues it left behind its passage. Eat until no evidence remains, then start producing more Evidence from my body in an attempt to track the creature.
[2]
That seems...a bit too abstract.

You content yourself with nibbling the bark off a nearby tree.

"This isn't helpful at all. Whatever these abominations are, they are intelligent, and magical. I'm going to try and figure out if they all live in the same spot or not. That could make life easier or harder for us."

Aaron attempts to know if these "things" all live in the same location when they aren't prowling, and if so, how far away it is.

(I just realized that I forgot to add random food to my sleeves a while back, when I put it in. I'll add it now.)
[?]
....Kind of? Sort of in a similar...area.

"I wonder if they're pissed off that we blew up their friend?"
Ask the trees and whatever animals are around what those creatures are and where they live.
[2]
The trees and animals all run or remain silent. The seem to shudder at the question. They tell you nothing but you can sense an odd fear.

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Now, if only we had a cognizant who could tell us where they went…”, Hugh muses.

Hugh then gets an idea.

Hold on!  We’re going for a ride! Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he firmly grabs Grey and Genesis (if unable to obtain either “passenger”, Hugh replaces each of them with another humonculus).  Hugh then eats all of the possible wrong answers to the question of where the things that Aaron saw are currently located and then, with only one possible answer remaining and two “passengers”, eats the distance between himself and that place (provided he has two “passengers”, otherwise he simply tells everyone the answer).

Edit:  made a slight addition…

Edit:  clarification of intent…
[3]
You attempt to eat something as vague as an answer. This...doesn't exactly work. But you do find out that when they toss out possible answers they taste different. Some more sweet, others more savory, and some like sand or sunlight.

Go gather some gourds into my sleeves, then head into the woods. Find a small clearing, place the gourds down, place my gloves, eyes out, on two of the gourds like little hats. Tap the glove and the gourd with my needle to sew them together. intent is just to stick the glove to the gourd so it can't be pulled off, not to combine them into some sort of frankengourd handwear. Then return to the inn and close my eyes to wait and watch. One of the gourd gloves is Grey's so he should be able to see what I see.

[2]
The gloves end up only very loosely affixed. About as solidly connected as if with a few pieces of scotch tape. Well...better than nothing. You leave the gloved gourds in the forest as per your plan and then return to the Inn to watch.

There are plenty of tracks to be seen around here. Grey Maintains his perception of the tracks left by the creatures and follows one of the trails, avoiding the one Aa is working on.

If magic fails, just track one of them normally. Can’t be too hard if unmagical humans can do it.

Oh yeah, Grey also ditches his disguise.

[3][6]
Your attempt to maintain the path works...more or less. You kind of just have a vague notion of its location. Following it isn't too hard. In fact it might be too easy. You head out into the woods away from your team, following the path at a rapid pace. By the time you think to check if anyone is following you, you're deep into the woods. And all alone.

You hear what sounds like  the rustling of undergrowth in the wind...but there is no wind. You can't pick out where it came from, it seems to be all around you.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 16, 2021, 10:56:03 pm »

While calling for immediate reinforcements would be the safest option, trying to pin one of these creatures down is proving rather difficult, and beaming in more people would scare it off. Hmm...

Grey flips his needle and quietly speaks to everyone he is connected to. That is, Genesis, Debby, Aa-tou-tou, Youare, Tess, Hugh, and Aaron.

"I think I've tracked down one of the creatures. Only problem is, I believe it knows I am here."

"What I want you all to do is use your links to look through my needle, and if I get attacked or incapacitated, teleport in and back me up. Like what we planned with Aa, but with me as the bait instead. Alright?"

Grey stands his ground. At Hugh's request, Grey brings the eye of his needle up to his face and examines his surroundings for signs of magic.

After a full sweep he switches his grip on the needle, holding it diagonally so that the eye of the needle is near his hip and can view what's in front of him, while the point is next to his head. Wary of any attack, Grey is ready to absorb incoming magic with his needle and if he catches sight of a hostile creature, Maintains its position.

If Aaron can tell Grey where the creature is, and no attacks occur after a few minutes, he Maintains its position and investigates.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:56:30 am by Fire and Glory »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 17, 2021, 01:55:47 am »

((Lenglon, where are you?))
((been really busy IRL, so haven't put the time in to figure out puzzles. My magic doesn't really help with this kind of thing anyway, and I don't want to leave the group to investigate on my own right now))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 116