Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124172 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Screaming Silence
« Reply #1275 on: November 30, 2021, 12:08:10 am »

"Whoever is creating this magic is more like us Homunculi than a normal mage or or one of the great Magi, yet is truly ancient. This being is older than the covenant. They seem to have become restless. Since the magic hurt Grey, they may be well aware of our presence already, so we have to be careful."

"Some kind of nature idol or agricultural idol, perhaps. Something some past culture constructed to worship and to protect the area or provide bounty for their crops, maybe. If it's become restless recently, something must have changed. I wonder what."

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Would one of you mind giving me some help (or at least some advice)?  I swallowed two of those gourd things and now I have some of that magic inside me, and I’m concerned it could become a liability.  I’ve tried twice, unsuccessfully, to cough it up, but I’ve failed both times.  Is there anything one of you could do to help me get both of the pieces of magic out, or should I just keep trying to cough them up?”, Hugh queries the group.
"Isn't your stomach infinite? Why do you need to cough this up?"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:27:08 am by Ozarck »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 30, 2021, 01:36:03 am »

<snip>

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Would one of you mind giving me some help (or at least some advice)?  I swallowed two of those gourd things and now I have some of that magic inside me, and I’m concerned it could become a liability.  I’ve tried twice, unsuccessfully, to cough it up, but I’ve failed both times.  Is there anything one of you could do to help me get both of the pieces of magic out, or should I just keep trying to cough them up?”, Hugh queries the group.

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Well, I suppose I can just let it go.  It’s just that I’m concerned that, having the magic inside me, whatever we’re up against might be able to use it against me and/or the group.  I think I’ll just let it go for now.  Trying to cough it up felt like trying to cough up barbed wire.

Hugh stays with the group, scanning his surroundings with his needle periodically, ready to defend himself and the group.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)

Edit: action.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 05:49:10 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 30, 2021, 03:19:41 am »

"Should we get armour or something to protect us from this thing?"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 30, 2021, 04:28:31 am »

"You mean like the shield you can project from your gloves? Or do you want some mundane's toys again?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 30, 2021, 04:44:06 am »

"Why not have both?"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1280 on: December 01, 2021, 02:22:28 pm »

"The whole sky around here is darker when viewed through the needle as well, so the influence of this being is pretty strong."

I'm going to assume we talk about what happened and Genesis looks through his needle at Grey's eye. Then he is going to attempt to push the magic out of Grey's eye - unless he thinks doing so will cause harm - like the magic is barbed or something. He only has one glove on, so if that isn't enough he'll borrow one from Grey or let someone with two gloves try it instead.

If everyone else is ready, let's go back to the village (since we know where that is now) and head east on the trail. We can talk among ourselves on the way.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)
You attempt to push the magic out of Grey's eye and find that there is no magic there to push. Huh.

"Whoever is creating this magic is more like us Homunculi than a normal mage or or one of the great Magi, yet is truly ancient. This being is older than the covenant. They seem to have become restless. Since the magic hurt Grey, they may be well aware of our presence already, so we have to be careful."

Aaron sees if he has any meat for Tess in his collection of food in his sleeves, and then attempts to know if the creator of the gourds is hostile, or merely secretive. He walks with everyone else if they start back toward the village.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[?]
The creator of those gourds is hostile. Hostile is all it knows. It was made for violence, for wars beyond imagining.

You yank a steak out of your sleeve and toss it to Tess.

"Does anyone have any meat in their pockets we need it for healing Tess."
If no one has any meat look around for an animal to kill with my rifleaxe, also see how Elizabeth feels about the current goings on.
You take the steak from Aaron and press it against Tess' back. The meat melts directly into her skin and the wound closes with a hiss of steam. [Tess HP +5]

Liz seems to be mostly ok but she says something about the forest scares her. She doesn't like those pumpkin things either. She says that they are "Like her, but wrong." She likens them to an insect in a human skin.

<snip>

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Well, I suppose I can just let it go.  It’s just that I’m concerned that, having the magic inside me, whatever we’re up against might be able to use it against me and/or the group.  I think I’ll just let it go for now.  Trying to cough it up felt like trying to cough up barbed wire.

Hugh stays with the group, scanning his surroundings with his needle periodically, ready to defend himself and the group.

Edit: action.

"If it can hit me in the head all the way from here, we might be in for a challenge."

Then he is going to attempt to push the magic out of Grey's eye - unless he thinks doing so will cause harm - like the magic is barbed or something.
If there's magic inside Grey's eye, he wants it gone.

After Genesis's ministrations Grey goes out with Debby to find something to shoot.

Heading east on the trail sounds fine.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)

The entire team returns to the village, waits for daybreak, and then heads down the road to the east, through the forest.

In the light of day the meandering road seems far less threatening. The first few hours walking are downright pleasant. The wind blows gently through, blunted by the trees, sending cascades of autumn leaves and pine scented needles down from above. Sunbeams dapple the path and the world outside the tree tops seems to blaze bright white in comparison to the cool shade below. Animals peek and scatter as the group moves along, furtive looks from squirrels and rabbits through the undergrowth.  Birds sing in sharp warbles and chirps and larger things move at a greater distance. Deer maybe. The path itself is about as meandering as a river, often straight but other times winding back and forth through large stones and small valleys.

Its maybe 5 hours and many miles into the forest where they find it. The path, cut into the soft black soil and emerald grass of a gentle hill, is circling around the side of a huge boulder. As they come around to its eastern face they find  something stuffed up against the bottom of the boulder, on the very edge of the path.  Its a large backpack and a few other smaller bags, partially open, a few of the contents scattered out around them.  It doesn't looks though the bags have been ransacked, rather like they simply dropped to the ground and a few things popped out as a result.  Nothing that has fallen out looks particularly valuable, more like the ordinary effects of an ordinary life. A bowl, some cutlery, a bundle of twine, that sort of thing.

On the stone near the pack is a small smear of what appears to be long dried blood. Not much, maybe a skinned knee's worth.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 01, 2021, 09:27:49 pm »

"Looks like one of the guys that got grabbed."
Grey reclaims his glove from Genesis.

He also places a spell on his needle, Maintain the health and well being of Grey and every Homunculous that is allied with Grey and is within 2 miles of him.

What kind of wound did Genesis find when examining Grey's eye?

Grey looks around the area for signs of someone getting dragged into the forest.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:39:29 pm by Fire and Glory »

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 01, 2021, 09:59:37 pm »

"My knowledge tells me that the being behind this magic was, like us, created for a purpose. That purpose was to wage ancient and terrible wars. I wonder if something stirred it into building an army after all these years."

Aaron carefully looks through his needle at the rock, boulder, hill, and woods, making sure not to directly look at any signs of magic he might see, and attempts to know how the traveler was attacked. If he has an answer, he tells Hugh

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 02:05:04 am by fatcat__25 »
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 01, 2021, 10:42:00 pm »

"Someone's ancient war machine? I don't like the sound of that."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:46:48 pm by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 02, 2021, 03:41:05 am »

"It's not like we haven't dealt with this kind of thing before. Hmph. As much as our missions involve breaking things, you'd think we were part of the destroy corps instead of the investigation corps. Well, I guess someone has to act on whatever we find out, and we're already here. Leave the destroy corps for the really dangerous stuff."

Since we waited for daybreak and all, can we assume I fetched my glove from the gourd? If so, I'd like to reswap with Grey so I have my original pair on me for now - for the sake of keeping track of them.

Either way, while Genesis waits for the team to investigate and decide where to go next, he'll sit and ponder lunch. He'll try various things like reaching into his sleeves to find food from the cavern (besides the ceramic loaf), and covering himself with his robe and hood to see if he can access the cavern's kitchen while on mission.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 02, 2021, 04:06:38 am »

"Since these people are probably dead I doubt they'll give a shit if I dig through their bags."
Dig through the backpacks and see what kinds of crap these people had.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 02, 2021, 09:11:31 am »

"Since these people are probably dead I doubt they'll give a shit if I dig through their bags."
"Maybe not, but at least try to keep their belongings intact, in case they are alive. We were called according to the Covenant of Protection, after all."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:18 pm »

"Thank you. That... went a lot better than I was afraid of."

When we come across the dropped pack and blood
I fly up and see what is around us from above.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 03, 2021, 12:46:29 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  I guess it knows we’re here!”, Hugh says as he drops any disguise he was using.  “Aa!  Come here!  I need my glove back and you need your’s back!  Ho! Ho! Ho!”.  Hugh then unswaps gloves with Aa.

Hugh then turns to Debby.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  The owner of that backpack may not be dead!  Until we know for sure, it’s best we just pack up their loose stuff into it, and stuff it up one of our sleeves.  That way, we’ll have it for them when we see them!

Finally he turns to Aaron.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  What do your cognizant senses tell you about what happened here?

Hugh waits for Aaron’s answer, needle at the ready in case of an attack.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 03, 2021, 04:54:29 am »

"Why's everybody becoming so protective of these backpacks, if they're still alive I doubt they're gonna care if we take a few things, just call it payment for rescuing them."
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 116