Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124186 times)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: The Turn where everyone failed to be productive
« Reply #1365 on: January 06, 2022, 11:24:16 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Of course!  What do you have in mind?
"In theory so long as we're not outpacing this glove we share its destination. If we slow down and start getting up to speed again, I can make it so that we keep speeding up and lock in our destination in the process, ensuring that we reach the place we're going in a matter of minutes. If Tess is coming I can include the glove in the spell as well which would make it more straightforward.

"Either way, we'll be going really fast but I'll be doing everything I can to make sure we arrive safely."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 06, 2022, 12:58:28 pm »

"In theory so long as we're not outpacing this glove we share its destination. If we slow down and start getting up to speed again, I can make it so that we keep speeding up and lock in our destination in the process, ensuring that we reach the place we're going in a matter of minutes. If Tess is coming I can include the glove in the spell as well which would make it more straightforward.

"Either way, we'll be going really fast but I'll be doing everything I can to make sure we arrive safely."

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Why don’t you just tell me where our destination is!  I can just eat the distance between us and it!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 06, 2022, 10:13:55 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Why don’t you just tell me where our destination is!  I can just eat the distance between us and it!
”That’s the thing, I don’t actually know where we’re going, but the magic does and that’s all we need.”

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 07, 2022, 01:05:12 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  All right! All right!  Let’s see if this plan of your’s works!  Tess!  Are you coming?

((Edited main post))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1369 on: January 08, 2022, 02:35:04 pm »

"Capture Corps?"
Do the homunculus ID thing: iteration, Corps, patron.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

You don't need to ask her name, You've met her before.  Her name is Sharpe, the woman you met when you went to the regional office.  She clearly recognizes you as well and seems mildly amused by that fact.

Aaron, completely unable to make sense of what he just saw through his needle, decides the intruder is more of a pressing problem than strange magical effects.
He quickly climbs out of the hole a little ways from the woman, brandishes his needle, and attempts to know who she is, and what she is here for.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You scramble out of the crater and point your needle at the woman. Before you can try any magic though, Genesis shouts up that he knows her and that she's part of the capture corps. 

"Hello there."
Be ready to run if that dude starts to attack us.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Ready to coward out at any time!

Sharpe, completely ignoring Aaron's needle, marches up to the edge of the crater and looks down at Genesis and specifically at the weapon he's holding.

"They even went so far as to introduce us before we ended up here." she says, again more to herself than anyone else. She shakes her head like someone weathering a bad joke and then addresses Genesis.  "We've been sent after the same target it seems. The Destroy corps are here too, a full team of three. Whatever lies in these woods is something far beyond an accidental leak or some sort of failed ritual. Judging by the presence of that lance we're dealing with something pre-covenant. Tell me what you know."

Grey addresses Hugh and Tess. ”I’m going to try as skipping ahead close to where we’re going. Either of you want to come with?”

Time for a bit of magic. Grey directs Hugh to follow his movements, slows down to a stop and starts following the glove again, walking at first, slowly transitioning to jogging and then running. While doing this, Grey Maintains the accelerating rate at which Grey and Hugh are safely traveling to his intended destination, which is a point that is one mile short of wherever the glove is going. He will spend 2 fate points on this spell as it's slightly hazardous.

For the spell's logic, because Grey intends to keep following the glove and then stop once he spots the place it's going, I believe that's sufficient for the spell to bring him to one mile short of that place. If you see it differently (lord knows this Maintain magic can be disorientating for me at times) then modify the destination to be exactly where the glove is heading.

If anything tries to kill Grey before or after he stops moving, he spends 1 fate point on staying alive.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
Grey addresses Hugh and Tess. ”I’m going to try as skipping ahead close to where we’re going. Either of you want to come with?”

Hugh keeps pace with Grey while waiting for his answer.

After speaking with Grey, Hugh goes along with Grey’s plan (grabbing Tess and carrying her under his arm if necessary).

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Edit:  edited to show that Hugh is going along with Grey’s plan.
[2,6,5]
There are dozens of ways this could go horribly wrong. Your legs might get torn off as they attempt to maintain constant acceleration, running faster and faster. You might just slam into a tree. You might get pulverized into paste as you're dragged along the ground due to a rise in elevation. You might go sailing off a hill and splat onto lower ground. If its far enough you might overcome the curvature of the planet and fly out into space.

Luckily none of these horrible things happen this time. Instead you go rocketing forward at an ever increasing pace, magically weaving between trees and just barely avoiding horrible death. Because, unlike before where you maintained SPEED, this time you are maintaining ACCELERATION. Within 30 or so seconds you are going over 200 miles an hour. And your legs aren't what's propelling you anymore so you're basically just hurtling forward, "Falling" towards the goal of that glove. By my calculations you'll be going somewhere in the ballpark of 600 miles a hour when you reach your "one mile away" goal. And when you reach that goal you'll "Stop". Consider what happens when people moving at 600 miles an hour just stop moving that speed.

You have about a minute left until you "stop".   

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 08, 2022, 03:42:59 pm »

"Our Cognizant" Genesis gestures at Aaron, "did say that both the target we are pursuing and this lance are from a pre-Covenant war of some kind. One of our other teammates got a bird's eye view of the area here and there are a lot more of these craters around. this weapon was apparently designed to kill magical entities and is very effective at it. Likely each of the craters contains something similar, if not identical. The entity we are pursuing is capable at least of creating plant creatures out of gourds and controlling them from some distance. mmm, the sky itself is tinted with the magic of whatever this is, so what we are dealing with has quite a wide reach. One of our fellows looked through his needle at the entity and got an eye full of blood for it. Whatever it is is gearing up for a war that is long over. Also it has kidnapped at least eight people recently. Random villagers from two different villages as far as we can tell.

That's all I recall at the moment. We haven't gotten far in our investigations. Some villagers seemed to know or suspect something but we weren't able to get much info from them, except about the mysterious entity stealing crops (which it turns into gourd monsters, apparently).

Do you need to dispose of this lance?"

Attempt to recall any details I forgot to mention.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 08, 2022, 06:20:22 pm »

((I've got a bad feeling about this...))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 09, 2022, 12:59:18 am »

Because, unlike before where you maintained SPEED,
(Huh, when did that happen?)

(Maybe I should've put that Maintain health spell on my needle again before trying this.)

"Hugh! I miscalculated! When we stop it's not going to be good! I can think of a few ways to get out of this without dying but none that get us where we're trying to go! Do you have any ideas?"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 01:10:03 am by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 09, 2022, 01:45:19 am »

Because, unlike before where you maintained SPEED,
(Huh, when did that happen?)

(Maybe I should've put that Maintain health spell on my needle again before trying this.)

"Hugh! I miscalculated! When we stop it's not going to be good! I can think of a few ways to get out of this without dying but none that get us where we're trying to go! Do you have any ideas?"

Ideas, you say?  Ho! Ho! Ho!  Answer me this… which is better:  getting to where we are trying to go, or not dying?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 09, 2022, 02:06:00 am »

Ideas, you say?  Ho! Ho! Ho!  Answer me this… which is better:  getting to where we are trying to go, or not dying?
"I get your point. Right now I can see two ways to survive this, either I can cut the spell and we use our needles to teleport hopefully before we hit a tree, or I can cut this spell and create a new one that'll let us survive the impact. Pick your poison?"

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 09, 2022, 02:54:45 am »

"I get your point. Right now I can see two ways to survive this, either I can cut the spell and we use our needles to teleport hopefully before we hit a tree, or I can cut this spell and create a new one that'll let us survive the impact. Pick your poison?"

Hopefully you we can teleport before we hit a tree!  Hopefully you can create a new spell before we hit a tree!  None looks better than the other!  We may fail!  We may succeed!  It’s as though our success was dependent on the roll of a die!  Ho! Ho! Ho!

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 09, 2022, 03:12:22 am »

Hopefully you we can teleport before we hit a tree!  Hopefully you can create a new spell before we hit a tree!  None looks better than the other!  We may fail!  We may succeed!  It’s as though our success was dependent on the roll of a die!  Ho! Ho! Ho!
"Alright, spell it is! Hold on!"

Grey creates a shield with his gloves, destroys the spell hurtling him through the forest and immediately forms a new one: Maintain the health of Grey and Hugh, spending 1 fate on the spell. Let fate take the wheel, ho ho ho.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:41:14 pm by Fire and Glory »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 09, 2022, 03:42:26 am »

"Alright, spell it is! Hold on!"

Grey destroys the spell hurtling him through the forest and immediately forms a new one, Maintain the health of Grey and Hugh, spending 1 fate on the spell. Let fate take the wheel, ho ho ho.

Hugh awaits the inevitable.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

((What about Tess?  I thought she was tucked under Hugh’s arm.))
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:47:08 am by A_Curious_Cat »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 09, 2022, 03:45:43 am »

((What about Tess?  I thought she was tucked under Hugh’s arm.))
(Tess isn't mentioned in the turn and Grey's nyoom spell only targeted Grey and Hugh. We'll have to ask PW to get a clear picture of what happened to her.)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 09, 2022, 03:49:05 am »

((Edited previous post to include “action”))
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 116