Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124157 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: HOLY
« Reply #1500 on: March 06, 2022, 06:35:17 pm »

Hugh points the eye of his needle toward the link with Grey.  “Ho! Ho! Ho, there!  This is Hugh.  I’m at the edge of the crater.  Is Genesis with you?  Are you OK?  You can teleport to me if you need to get out of there.  Just remembered to relink afterwards. Ho! Ho! Ho!”.  Hugh then listens for Grey’s response.  Regardless of the response, Hugh again attempts to eat the darkness from within the crater and expose whatever is generating it (using one fate point to do so), while keeping his needle ready to stab anything that attacks himself.  If Grey and/or Genesis teleports to him, he relinks with them at the earliest convenient opportunity after their arrival.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 06, 2022, 10:03:05 pm »

"Ah, nice catch Genesis. I created a spell to protect us from the impact but feeling it now I think it will only shield one of us from one instance of harm. Do you want to go back to the surface or see what we can do from here? Or go it alone?"
"I can't actually do much holding on to you like this. Go on back up, and I'll see what I can do down here.

If Grey portals back up, pull the lance out of the wall and drop, stabbing down into the darkness. if Grey stays, just hang on to the Lance and Grey.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 07, 2022, 01:31:03 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho, there!  This is Hugh.  I’m at the edge of the crater.  Is Genesis with you?  Are you OK?  You can teleport to me if you need to get out of there.  Just remembered to relink afterwards. Ho! Ho! Ho!”.
"We're both okay for now, didn't quite hit the bottom. I'll join you up there."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 09, 2022, 03:14:36 am »

Ho! Ho! Ho, there!  This is Hugh.  I’m at the edge of the crater.  Is Genesis with you?  Are you OK?  You can teleport to me if you need to get out of there.  Just remembered to relink afterwards. Ho! Ho! Ho!”.
"We're both okay for now, didn't quite hit the bottom. I'll join you up there."

Ho! Ho! Ho!  That’s good!  I’ll be up here waiting for you”. 

Hugh then points the eye of his needle towards the link with Genesis.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  I hear you’re alright, Genesis!  Are you coming back up to me with Grey?  I’m at the edge of the crater!  Oh, and I’m planning to eat as much of that darkness in the crater as I can.  So that we can see what’s making it!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 09, 2022, 03:34:04 am »

Genesis has his hands full right now, so Hugh's not going to get an answer from him.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1505 on: March 11, 2022, 12:20:25 pm »

Staying quiet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You hope the rest of the group actually manages to solve this and you don't have to crawl out and try and fight the entire town on your own...

"Hey guys I've got some rope!"
Run over to the edge of the pit, if anything hostile gets in my path stab it with my sword.
[6]
You make it to the edge of the pit but in doing so seem to alert many hostile things. Or perhaps they were already coming this way? Hard to say. But there are at least...5 of those plant headed people half running half slithering their way towards you, thorny limbs whipping about at distressing speeds.

Grey regains his bearings and starts talking quickly.
"Ah, nice catch Genesis. I created a spell to protect us from the impact but feeling it now I think it will only shield one of us from one instance of harm. Do you want to go back to the surface or see what we can do from here? Or go it alone?"

Grey teleports up to Hugh.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)
Genesis lets go of you  as you pull the thread and warp instantly back up to Hugh.

Hugh points the eye of his needle toward the link with Grey.  “Ho! Ho! Ho, there!  This is Hugh.  I’m at the edge of the crater.  Is Genesis with you?  Are you OK?  You can teleport to me if you need to get out of there.  Just remembered to relink afterwards. Ho! Ho! Ho!”.  Hugh then listens for Grey’s response.  Regardless of the response, Hugh again attempts to eat the darkness from within the crater and expose whatever is generating it (using one fate point to do so), while keeping his needle ready to stab anything that attacks himself.  If Grey and/or Genesis teleports to him, he relinks with them at the earliest convenient opportunity after their arrival.

[3,1]
Hugh again attempts to eat the darkness and gets a mouthful of it. However the tiny glob of it he swallowed fills back in almost immediately.

"I can't actually do much holding on to you like this. Go on back up, and I'll see what I can do down here.

If Grey portals back up, pull the lance out of the wall and drop, stabbing down into the darkness. if Grey stays, just hang on to the Lance and Grey.

[2]

You swing up and plant your feet against the wall, attempting to yank the lance out of the stone. You strain against it but it doesn't budge. The black mass of thorns continues creeping inward, testing the boundaries of the lance's effect, cautiously sending new growths forward. 

[1]
The sound boundary that Grey had been maintaining finally breaks and the voice held within the shaft again erupts out. The ethereal tree looming over the city becomes far more solid in the never moments and seems to lean further down so its boughs form a sort of dome around the town and its surrounding hills. The writhing thornvines of those branches begin coiling, their sharpened tips seeming to lock in on targets far below. And then something odd happens. All the sound in the area, from the singing below, the crumbling of buildings, the screeching of the incoming plant headed things, and the "BZZNNNNNNN" hum of whatever Sharpe is doing, it all becomes strangely muffled as a single sound overpowers it. The sound isn't loud so much as it seems to come from everywhere; to echo directly in the ears of every person there. It is a distinct sound as well: it is unquestionably the sound of a pair of scissors being opened.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 11, 2022, 04:50:28 pm »

"Hugh, I think we are on borrowed time here. Tell Genesis that the lance is our most powerful weapon against this monster. I doubt anything else we have is powerful enough to stop it. I suspect the lance will need to be driven into the source of the darkness to disable the giant plant, while we keep the small plant monsters at bay. Grey, I haven't seen Tess in a while. You had a link with her. Would you see if she is still alive? If she is, she needs to know what is going on here."

Aaron impales any of the approaching monsters that come within reach, stays close to Hugh and Grey, and attempts to know how long before the Kill Corps arrives.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 11, 2022, 06:59:16 pm »

"Hugh, I think we are on borrowed time here. Tell Genesis that the lance is our most powerful weapon against this monster. I doubt anything else we have is powerful enough to stop it. I suspect the lance will need to be driven into the source of the darkness to disable the giant plant, while we keep the small plant monsters at bay. Grey, I haven't seen Tess in a while. You had a link with her. Would you see if she is still alive? If she is, she needs to know what is going on here."

Hugh nods to Aaron and then points the eye of his needle towards the link with Genesis.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  Genesis, my boy!  Aaron says that that lance of yours is the most potent weapon we have.  He thinks it’s the only thing that can stop all this, and that it must be driven into the source of the darkness!

Hugh then tries again to eat the darkness and uncover it’s source, while protecting himself and the others.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 11, 2022, 09:59:00 pm »

"Ya, Kinda figured.. Working on it!" Genesis shouts in the general direction of his needle.

not sure why we're bothering, if hte Destroy Corps is here. Are we competing to see who kills this thing first? We taking sides between Capture and Destroy? Well, whatever. Genesis mutters to himself.

Try again to remove my big stabby and stab the big thorny with it. use up both my remaining Fate points. Not really worried about what Destroy is doing. That stuff is for the Magi to decide.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 04:21:34 am by Ozarck »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 12, 2022, 03:21:56 am »

"Oh shit."
Quickly pull the thread for Grey and reunite with the rest of the group and be ready to fight those weird plant plant things, also relink with Grey when able.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 14, 2022, 01:44:01 am »

"Alright, I'll go check on her."

Grey links with Debby and teleports to Tess.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 02:41:43 am by Fire and Glory »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 14, 2022, 02:08:56 am »

Grey finds Tess with a great big hole in her chest and visibly battered across her entire body but she's conscious and alert. She's lying down on the bottom floor of an abandoned building, and there's a hole in the ceiling showing a second floor and a hole in the roof above both of which are left over from when she was stabbed by the shadow-tree-thing.
"Hi Grey."
No current action

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 14, 2022, 02:35:10 am »

(For chronological reasons Grey will only be able to respond next turn, talk to you then  :) )
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 02:38:50 am by Fire and Glory »

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 14, 2022, 04:15:32 am »

(I am so tired rn, post tomorrow morning.)
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1514 on: March 16, 2022, 09:23:15 am »

Grey finds Tess with a great big hole in her chest and visibly battered across her entire body but she's conscious and alert. She's lying down on the bottom floor of an abandoned building, and there's a hole in the ceiling showing a second floor and a hole in the roof above both of which are left over from when she was stabbed by the shadow-tree-thing.
"Hi Grey."
No current action

"Alright, I'll go check on her."

Grey links with Debby and teleports to Tess.

Grey Teleports to Tess, who rather weakly greets him without moving more than is necessary. She isn't currently impaled, but it is clear she was a moment sometime in the recent past.

Hugh nods to Aaron and then points the eye of his needle towards the link with Genesis.  “Ho! Ho! Ho!  Genesis, my boy!  Aaron says that that lance of yours is the most potent weapon we have.  He thinks it’s the only thing that can stop all this, and that it must be driven into the source of the darkness!

Hugh then tries again to eat the darkness and uncover it’s source, while protecting himself and the others.

[2]
Hugh bites the air one more time and nothing happens.

"Ya, Kinda figured.. Working on it!" Genesis shouts in the general direction of his needle.

not sure why we're bothering, if hte Destroy Corps is here. Are we competing to see who kills this thing first? We taking sides between Capture and Destroy? Well, whatever. Genesis mutters to himself.

Try again to remove my big stabby and stab the big thorny with it. use up both my remaining Fate points. Not really worried about what Destroy is doing. That stuff is for the Magi to decide.

[1,2,4]
You yank the lance free from the wall and whip it round to point straight down as you fall. The tip of the lance glows like a magnesium flare as it cuts through the darkness, cleaving a shaft 10 feet wide. When you do hit the ground a few seconds later the lance sinks into the stone like a warm knife into butter, slowing your fall enough that you manage to awkwardly land on your hands and knees, one hand still gripping the handle of the lance. You scramble back to your feet and pull on the lance. To your surprise it slices up through the stone its embedded in with ease and even feels lighter than before as you turn it around to point towards the center of the pit.

The darkness parts and reveals a form there. It is sitting atop a pile of corpses, much like those fossilized things where you found the original lance. It looks like a doll or a mannequin, its legs and lower body smashed and distorted, half buried in the dead. There's a large hole in its bare chest, out of which grows the root of the dark thorns. From its back sprout huge crow's wings, multiple sets of them, which wrap its body  and fill much of the space around it. Its face, in contrast to the body, appears human and exceedingly beautiful. Not fragile, but powerfully, confidently, unconquerably beautiful. Its eyes glow yellow in the dark.

[2,1,3]
She speaks a word and you feel all the strength leave you. You drop to one knee, the lance still in your grasp but laying limp on the stone floor.

"Oh shit."
Quickly pull the thread for Grey and reunite with the rest of the group and be ready to fight those weird plant plant things, also relink with Grey when able.

Aaron impales any of the approaching monsters that come within reach, stays close to Hugh and Grey, and attempts to know how long before the Kill Corps arrives.

[5,6][?]
Aaron and Debby charge forward to meet the incoming vine people. The creatures lash out with amazing speed but their attacks seem almost random, just a chaotic flailing towards the two Homunculi. At a distance this is most dangerous as their rapid movements strike large areas, but as Aaron and Debby quickly close the distance the creatures seem to have no counter and the Homunculi sweep rapidly through them, stabbing one after another with precise and fatal strikes.

The air again grows silent and the grind of metal on metal can be heard everywhere. The scissors close with a vacuum hiss and the upper two thirds of the great thorn tree, the tops of the hills around the crater, the trees, the clouds on the horizon, the light, the air, are all cleaved neatly in two along an invisible horizontal path that seems to have no end.  The tree holds its position for a moment, resting on where it has been cut, and then begins to topple. It ignites into purple flame as it slowly falls, rapidly becoming ethereal and vanishing before it can touch the ground. 
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 116