Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94450 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 1): March of the Gladiators
« Reply #825 on: October 20, 2021, 10:35:07 am »

I am also back and similarly somewhat tired. I'll see what I can do about a votecount, since that seems useful right now.

In other news, Maximum Spin needs a replacement. I knew trying to run a bigger game was trying to tempt fate.

Ninja GM, I was just going to ask for a vote count.  You're the greatest!

Ouch, replacement.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 20, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

@FallacyofUrist: Please just modkill Maximum Spin.  If you don't, we know he's mafia that bailed before getting lynched.  Yet we can't lynch, because new players are entitled to new consideration.  A replacement now just adds further delay.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 20, 2021, 11:18:53 am »

Ugh, whatever, I can do this. We both know you're not going to get a replacement. I'm still not reading that... whatever the hell that was, though. It rhymed.

That's why I asked to drop out, btw. There is no force on Earth that can make me read that, and if I'm not going to read messages, I shouldn't be playing.

You never were going to because your playstyle relies on computational analysis,
Wrong.
I am likely your worst nightmare.
Wrong.
always be whatever you think I'm not.
Wrong.
I am the wild card, an unknown variable
Wrong.
the equation that you believe this game to be.
Wrong.
you believe that No Launch is the optimal D1 play
Wrong.
which is that you want to random launch
Wrong.
I am the player you will never be able to read.
Wrong.
If I didn't exist, it'd probably be ToonyMan.
Wrong. (It'd be EuchreJack.)

I'm not autistic, man.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 20, 2021, 11:25:22 am »

Oh, and if you do get a replacement, believe me, I'm more than happy to sub out then, but don't worry about it for now.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 20, 2021, 11:48:43 am »

2) The quotes are because there's THREE people with Captain claims, when you said there were two. Also, Roden is very likely Town as well, so there's no worries there.
Show me where I said this or I'm going to have to assume you prioritise frequent posting over actually reading the thread.
Nah. If I got it wrong, someone else said it, but I don't really care because it's not important. I just explained why it was quoted. Don't pop a blood vessel. You should consider wasting your time and energy on other things, like posting frequently and rap battling.

Sorry, I actually don't know how to read or write, so if this makes any sense to you, it's entirely coincidental.
I'm sorry, I still don't understand. Who else said it, and why isn't it important? How did you explain why it was quoted?
One wheel short of a wagon

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 20, 2021, 12:10:16 pm »

I also don't think you're a Gunsmith, though, but that okay. It's a good deflection, and I like it. In any case, I'll call you Town, and continue on my way.
If you don't believe me then why am I town?

Hey Maximum Spin, we have this thing called Reads Lists that let everyone see your awesome graphs of player alignment, you could even skip ahead to the connections thingy we do Day 2.  Might even select players and ask "hey which of these is most likely scum".

How many votes are on you again?
This post rubs me the wrong way. Like kicking a man when he's down.

Hm, NJW's poor read of Tric is quite similar to NJW's usually poor read of Roden, in that NJW is essentially scumreading Tric for his claim in the same way that NJW usually scumreads Roden for their claim.  Essentially, NJW has switched targets.  This is actually quite useful to know!
Exactly, I noticed this as well. NJW is usually pretty good, but always has a really bad take on one player.

Unless the mafia team is exactly Max/NJW I don't see why NJW would bother to defend them either.

Based on my role and what people have been claiming I believe there is a town false-positive and a mafia false-negative for my inspect. I think Tric is my town false-positive since he claimed so readily and willingly.

There are downsides with both of our inspections, however we should be able to narrow down suspects with our results combined.

Hm, I find this suspicious.  Feels like too much information. I'm starting to wonder if Toonyman might be mafia claiming gunsmith cop to justify knowing town from mafia.
Just something to think about later on, after I'm dead.
I do have too much information, it's because of my role. Maybe instead of wondering you could press a case, while alive? Are you my speculative false-negative mafia Jack? Because that would explain why you subconciously felt the need to draw attention to my hypothesis.

But, that's actually a fascinating stance. See, I could reasonably deduce that you might be Town from that stance. However, it could just as likely be that you're disgruntled Mafia. If you were Mafia, you'd be getting massive flak in Mafiachat, probs, so unless your buddy is ToonyMan or NJW (who appears to be trying their best to provide a bit of cover), that'd be the only logical pairing for me. EuchreJack... Maybe, but it seems a bit presumptuous. Really, I haven't seen enough Jack to know if they're really the trump suit or not, and Vector is technically possible. Tric and Roden are impossible. They can't be your scumbuddy because they're both Town.
I agree with all of this. The rest of this post is town as fuck too. Crazy to see Web's difference in behavior when pressured and when not pressured.

@FallacyofUrist: Please just modkill Maximum Spin.  If you don't, we know he's mafia that bailed before getting lynched.  Yet we can't lynch, because new players are entitled to new consideration.  A replacement now just adds further delay.
I don't like this, at all. I was suspicious of Max for eagering wanting to kill Web for bad reasons, but I don't think the team can be Max/Jack (my top two suspects) because of your attitude here.

Also I'm voting you. Jack.

You jumped on the Web wagon. You jumped on NJW after the Web wagon wasn't going to work. And I think in general your tone has been much more distant and aloof like in R1 when you were mafia.

Also, your 50/50 plan is an easy excuse as you can kill either me or Tric and then go "whoops I protected the other guy last night".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 20, 2021, 12:34:40 pm »

Ugh, whatever, I can do this. We both know you're not going to get a replacement. I'm still not reading that... whatever the hell that was, though. It rhymed.
I will admit, I hadn't intended it to rhyme at first, but one of the first few lines did, and then it became a challenge to see how far I could take it.

In summary though, you need to convince other people you're right, and you can't do that by holding back or by giving nothing. This game is as much about trust as it is about lying, and if you won't give people what they ask for, how will you be helpful?

@ToonyMan: I never said you were Town. Only that I would call you Town. There's a subtle difference.

@NJW2000: You are really stuck on something that doesn't matter.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 20, 2021, 02:34:56 pm »

Quote from: Votecount
Toonyman (0):
Roden (0):
TricMagic (1): NJW2000
EuchreJack (1): ToonyMan
NJW2000 (2): Vector, EuchreJack
Vector (1): Roden
webadict (1): Maximum Spin
Maximum Spin (1): TricMagic

No Execution (1): webadict
Not Voting (0):
5 to hammer.

Votecount. No flavor because I'm in class and 10% brain fog. Officially calling Day end at 1 AM, Central time, Thursday, nya. Please correct any mistakes you notice if there are any, I'll probably do a much more thorough check later.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:23:56 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 20, 2021, 02:50:51 pm »

I don't like buying into AtE, but Max's seems genuine, and I don't think any of their behavior is scum-indicative. I think Max is an easy vote, but I don't think this is an easy game. Jack is feeling more and more like scum, but if he is then I think his partner is a town read and Day 2 is going to be hard.

Unless they're deep wolfing hard, which I doubt, Tric and Web are both lock town for me. Everyone else is either a town lean (Toony, NJW), or null (Vector, Max), with Jack being most likely scum at this point. We know from round 1 that Jack and Vector distanced from each other, so if Jack is mafia again, I don't doubt he would do it again. I don't want to make any pre-flip associatives though so I'm not looking into that yet. I'll also hold off on voting until we get a new vote count.

PE: Oop, ok there it is.

EuchreJack

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 20, 2021, 02:53:14 pm »

Toony has a lot of WIM factor, especially in his last post, so if Jack is scum I'm unsure if he would try that hard to bus him right now. His points are all solid and it honestly looks like he believes he's caught mafia.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 20, 2021, 03:32:55 pm »

I'm not sure where things went. Not here at least...

Seriously, nothing to say but that. And why is Jack suddenly a lynch target? NJW

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 20, 2021, 04:36:51 pm »

Nonetheless, talk me through it.

Don't particularly think Jack is scum, but fair warning: I may vote him to tie the vote if Vector doesn't post before day-end. I don't think I can give town information by getting lynched by an AFK player and an OMGUS. I believe Max being like this is mostly NAI, but I also don't expect future interactions to be much more productive or less tiresome, so do think a Max lynch would be acceptably town-sided regardless. People have been pushing a "NJW defending Max" narrative, and will presumably see this as a swing, but I've seen Max's D1s before and he largely hasn't deviated from my expectations at all. Would like to see Vector post before I on a firm scumread for today.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 20, 2021, 05:07:07 pm »

Nonetheless, talk me through it.

Don't particularly think Jack is scum, but fair warning: I may vote him to tie the vote if Vector doesn't post before day-end. I don't think I can give town information by getting lynched by an AFK player and an OMGUS. I believe Max being like this is mostly NAI, but I also don't expect future interactions to be much more productive or less tiresome, so do think a Max lynch would be acceptably town-sided regardless. People have been pushing a "NJW defending Max" narrative, and will presumably see this as a swing, but I've seen Max's D1s before and he largely hasn't deviated from my expectations at all. Would like to see Vector post before I on a firm scumread for today.
It's actually not on me to tell you anything about stuff that doesn't matter. It's on you to prove it's relevant, which you haven't. If anything, it feels like you're attempting to derail discussion. I'm actually going to take an opposite stance here: If the votes are tied at the end of the day, I will vote for someone.

I think a fun game we could play is to choose two people who would be the best to be tied to pick the loser of. If you want, we can have it be an unofficial one with no eliminations behind it. I'll go first: Maximum Spin or EuchreJack?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 20, 2021, 07:19:38 pm »

It's actually not on me to tell you anything about stuff that doesn't matter. It's on you to prove it's relevant, which you haven't. If anything, it feels like you're attempting to derail discussion. I'm actually going to take an opposite stance here: If the votes are tied at the end of the day, I will vote for someone.
So you posting incessantly but not actually bothering to read the thread is irrelevant? To me, it's an indication that someone's mafia.

As is you jumping into a discussion you weren't involved in and answering something for somebody else, to be honest. Hectoring folks without even checking if what you were posting made sense. But no, you think that kind of thing is standard town play, and talking about it is derailing discussion?

I think a fun game we could play is to choose two people who would be the best to be tied to pick the loser of. If you want, we can have it be an unofficial one with no eliminations behind it. I'll go first: Maximum Spin or EuchreJack?
There may be a clear and obvious meaning to "two people who would be the best to be tied to pick the loser of", and I'll gladly play along if I'm shown one, but right now I'm seeing nothing. Are we meant to pick the person who we'd like to lynch out of those two? Which of the two we'd like to break a tie?

So, no Vector here to shake things up, day ends in <six hours and I'll be awake for a bit longer, but not that long. Voting EuchreJack in the hope of a tie. Not reading Jack as mafia, but my D1 reading ability is generally much weaker than Roden or Toony's, so I'm comfortable with the idea of eliminating him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 20, 2021, 07:40:12 pm »

Unvote, I'm allergic to ties.

\Hey Vector, are you Mafia? If you had to pick a flavor of ice cream from the following list, which would you choose:

a) Vanilla; b) Chocolate; c) I'm Mafia; or d) you'd invent a new type of ice cream made of half soy and half oat dairy-substitute.

This question is pointless because I actually want to hear your reads and maybe have your take on who's top suspect right now?

I'm town; coffee.

I don't have a lot Today, but:

Tric is probably Town. I agree regarding Wubba's point on Tric's #1 scumtell.

I think EJ lurks a lot more as scum, lean town. Easily flustered to say the least, both as town and scum, but I think that he's clear for now .

I'm neutral on Roden. I think how he's playing now is close enough to his town game that I would lean town, but I'll look here again Tomorrow.

Webadict and Toonyman are both null. I lean town on Webadict because he usually pings my gut as scum, but "null" is as high as he ever gets on my readslist, so there's that. R.e. Toony, I would have to work at it more to get a sense. Web and Toony usually work to clear each other. It will be interesting to see how the dynamic plays out.

The most interesting thing that's happened so far is with MaximumSpin. We should note that we have some NJW protecting Maximum Spin (pocketing?) for future reference.

I could see scum NJW. Not really a fan of them tying the vote on the basis of my "not showing up." I won't scumhunt unless Vector comes in, otherwise I'll force a tie? Just seems weird.

Well, I'll be online tonight if anyone wants to come help launch NJW 9_9
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 153