Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 94446 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 5): Truly Tired Triad
« Reply #1155 on: November 01, 2021, 05:14:53 pm »

Believe it or not this was my attempt to buff the mafia. The kill wasn't exactly 'every other' night, it was 'if you succeed you can't kill the next night, if you fail you can try again the next night'. I'll get on with running the proper formal Day end now. In advance I'll say that I'm taking three days to design the next setup and let y'all rest a bit, though.

And to be honest managing the power level here is tricky and I may have swung it a bit badly this time. Hopefully I can skew it towards the center for Round 4.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:18:24 pm by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Day 1): March of the Gladiators
« Reply #1156 on: November 01, 2021, 05:15:35 pm »

6.) The Commuter. We got super lucky that Maximum Spin didn't explain what happened well. Had they said what actually happened, we would've had an essentially unkillable Townie.
I'm only one person. I thought I conveyed it pretty clearly, what would you have said?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 01, 2021, 05:25:05 pm »

I was honestly shocked that NJW2k wasn't mafia. I thought him and Toonyman were the team (and they were just busing each other) right up until he died. The major wrong assumption I had was that the setup wouldn't be so, uh, bad as to only have one severely gimped member. Toonyman and webadict as actual scum seems like it would have worked better, but webadict was too obviously an ally.
More or less the same with me. I honestly thought NJW was mafia because the NK and night actions made no sense. I didn't vote Toony because I knew one of NJW/Toony had to be mafia, but it looked like NJW was taking advantage of Tric's tunnel on me to set me up to get lynched in the scenario where NJW-mafia Toony-town and we mislynch Toony with me as the deciding vote. And if both were mafia NJW never votes Toony. So I just felt defeated and gave up, especially since Tric's tunnel felt unreasonable and everyone's accusations were all speculation based and contradicted the apparent mass town read I had the two days prior.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 01, 2021, 05:28:13 pm »

6.) The Commuter. We got super lucky that Maximum Spin didn't explain what happened well. Had they said what actually happened, we would've had an essentially unkillable Townie.
I'm only one person. I thought I conveyed it pretty clearly, what would you have said?
We all assumed it was auto if true, and since you got jailed and copped it looked like you were lying. Nobody realized that you had to activate it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 01, 2021, 05:34:56 pm »

You should've claimed X-Shot Commuter (You can hide the number of shots, if you want) or you claim that you are an activated Commuter, but you needed to claim that you didn't activate your ability more obviously than you did. The issue is that you claimed to be a Commuter, which sort of has implications that you automatically commute. Had you claimed your full role (2-shot Commuter), people would have instantly known you hadn't used your ability. It was a bit clearer in hindsight that you didn't commute, but you seemed to say that your commuting stopped the kill, but the kill wouldn't've bounced to you if you were commuting. It was a bit confusing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 01, 2021, 06:53:51 pm »

You should've claimed X-Shot Commuter (You can hide the number of shots, if you want) or you claim that you are an activated Commuter, but you needed to claim that you didn't activate your ability more obviously than you did. The issue is that you claimed to be a Commuter, which sort of has implications that you automatically commute. Had you claimed your full role (2-shot Commuter), people would have instantly known you hadn't used your ability. It was a bit clearer in hindsight that you didn't commute, but you seemed to say that your commuting stopped the kill, but the kill wouldn't've bounced to you if you were commuting. It was a bit confusing.
I see. I did not actually know how commuters normally work. I don't think I've ever played a game with the role before. I didn't want to specify how many shots I had, but you're right, I could have been clearer that it was at least shotted.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 02, 2021, 01:51:48 am »

Quote from: Votecount
ToonyMan (2): Vector, TricMagic
TricMagic (0):
Vector (1): ToonyMan

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (0):
2 to hammer.

Vector and ToonyMan wrestled against each other, both physically and with verbosity.

"You've played a good game, Toony, but your true nature is obvious now!"

"What true nature? I'm not the liar here! Tric, help me out here!"

TricMagic ended up being the deciding factor. He watched the fighters with a hint of dread in his expression, then made his choice.

It seemed, though, that he made the right one.

A search of ToonyMan's room revealed strange powders, an elegant mask, and most importantly - a neatly cleaned, high-power revolver. An antique, but a magnificent one - and no doubt functional.

ToonyMan was Mafia.

Odd Night Multitasking Even Night Strong Role Cop (mafia):
(Auto) Odd Night Multitasking: During odd-numbered Nights, you may take an additional action as long as it isn’t the same as the first action you took.
(Auto) Even Night Strong: Your actions bypass all failure-causing effects, such as a role block or Doctor protection, as long as the Night is even-numbered. You may still have your target changed, and this effect does not bypass a commute action.
(Night) Role Cop [target]: You use telepathy to invade the target’s mind and steal the secrets of their role - and learn their entire role, but not their alignment.

Vector cracked a tired smile as they looked over at TricMagic. "Right, that's enough... let's get out of here. Can't be any traitors left now."

The doors to the hotel opened. They were finally free. Time would not release them, however.

Round 3 has ended! Town won, and as such, Roden, TricMagic, EuchreJack, NJW2000, Vector, and Maximum Spin all gain 1 Victory Point!

An elegantly carved gear cracked.

New roles will be designed with greater care, then sent out at Friday, Central/Forum time, midnight.

I'll post the Round summary when I get up in the morning. I'll freely admit that my attempts to create a more balanced setup actually created the opposite this time, and I apologize for that.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R3, Round Over): Cracked Composure
« Reply #1162 on: November 03, 2021, 10:20:54 pm »

It's the morning and nobody can tell me otherwise nya.

Before I post the stuff, I'll go ahead and say that I think I rushed the setup a bit too hard here. The mistakes are obvious in hindsight. Live and learn as the case may be.

Quote from: Roles
webadict:
Captain (mafia-ally):
(Auto) Authority: You have command over the players with the roles 50% Inventor, Deflector, and Interference JOAT. If you do not use Command during the Day, it will be automatically used at Day end with random selections. If you die, the players bound to you lose the ability to act if you were Town and gain the ability to act freely if you were non-Town.
(Day) Command: You decide in advance what the Night-action primary targets of the players under your command must be. Each player affected by Authority will be made aware of your choice for them when the Night starts. (If a Mafia player is tied to your Authority, usage of their factional ability is exempt from this requirement. Furthermore, the players affected by Authority can still choose to take no action.)

Roden:
Interference JOAT (town):
(Auto) Orders: Instead of being able to choose your own action target, your target is selected for you by the Captain. You may still choose not to act. If the Captain dies, you lose the ability to act if they were Town and gain the ability to act freely if they were non-Town.
(1-Shot, Night) Jailkeep [target]: You use a set of locksmith’s tools to lock your target’s door shut, preventing them from acting but also protecting them from kill actions, this Night. They will be given a ‘you were roleblocked’ result if they attempted to act.
(1-Shot, Night) Rolestop [target]: You use a network of tripwires and chains to ensure that all actions used on your target tonight will fail, except this one.
(1-Shot, Night) Repel [target]: Choose a player (you do not visit your choice). You use magnetic dust on your target, causing their action to fail if it would visit your chosen player.

Vector:
50% Inventor (town):
(Auto) Orders: Instead of being able to choose your own action target, your target is selected for you by the Captain. You may still choose not to act. If the Captain dies, you lose the ability to act if they were Town and gain the ability to act freely if they were non-Town.
(Night) Invent [target]: You grant your target your choice from a 1-Shot 50% Bulletproof, a 1-Shot 50% Kill, or a 1-Shot 50% Voyeur. You must use all three of your available choices before you can repeat a choice. Abilities you gift will not appear in roleflips as they are not part of your target’s original role.

Reference:
(1-Shot, Auto) 50% Bulletproof: This shoddy vest provides weak protection. If you would be killed, this ability is expended and you have a 50% chance to survive the kill.
(1-Shot, Night) 50% Kill [target]: This improvised gun provides a chance to kill. There is a 50% chance you kill your target and a 50% chance this action fails.
(1-Shot, Night) 50% Voyeur [target]: These faulty binoculars allow you to try and get the gist of what’s happening to your target. You have a 50% chance to learn what categories of actions were performed on your target during this Night, and a 50% chance for this action to fail. Available categories: Investigative, Interference, Protective, Lethal, Other.

NJW2000:
Deflector (town):
(Auto) Orders: Instead of being able to choose your own action’s primary target, your primary target is selected for you by the Captain. You may still choose not to act. If the Captain dies, you lose the ability to act if they were Town and gain the ability to act freely if they were non-Town.
(Night) Deflect [target1] [target2]: You tear open a wormhole, causing every player whose primary target matches your first target to change their primary target to your second target. The redirection will not occur if it would cause a player to self-target.

Maximum Spin:
2-Shot Commuter (town):
(2-Shot, Night) Commute: You temporarily exit the game by hiding on the roof of the hotel in a sleeping bag, granting you absolute immunity to all Night actions. (Players who attempt to act on you will receive a ‘your action failed’ result.) Your sleeping bag will wear out after you do this twice, however.

TricMagic:
1-Shot Parity Cop (town):
(1-Shot, Night) Parity Cop [target1] [target2]: You inspect the auras of your two targets, and learn whether your first target’s alignment is the same as your second target’s alignment, or different. If either of your targets dies tonight, this action fails, but this action’s shot is not used up.

EuchreJack:
Bodyguard (town):
(Night) Protect [target]: You guard your target, protecting them from up to one kill action performed this Night. If you successfully prevent a kill action, however, you will be hit with its effects instead (this will not change the targeting of the action).

ToonyMan:
Odd Night Multitasking Even Night Strong Role Cop (mafia):
(Auto) Odd Night Multitasking: During odd-numbered Nights, you may take an additional action as long as it isn’t the same as the first action you took.
(Auto) Even Night Strong: Your actions bypass all failure-causing effects, such as a role block or Doctor protection, as long as the Night is even-numbered. You may still have your target changed, and this effect does not bypass a commute action.
(Night) Role Cop [target]: You use telepathy to invade the target’s mind and steal the secrets of their role - and learn their entire role, but not their alignment.

(Factional, Night) Honor Duel [target]: You kill your target in a gentleman’s duel. If you successfully kill them, you may not attempt to use this action during the next Night.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Generic Arms Race.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 04, 2021, 07:48:28 pm »

On a second inspection you find a logbook within the "professional" killer's belongings.

How are you going to handle the private chats without Quicktopic now?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 04, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »

On a second inspection you find a logbook within the "professional" killer's belongings.

How are you going to handle the private chats without Quicktopic now?
You know, I saw Message 15, web's post, while looking through the pages. Which was a part of why I decided the way I did. Cause web wasn't town. Anything he said was suspect. (HAHAHA to quote Toony.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 04, 2021, 08:39:27 pm »

Oh man, I missed this. You guys are just so easy. No wonder Tric never wins as Mafia.

So, Tric is probably Town because he's obviously stupid. Roden might be Town, but he'll be an absolute drag on the Town if he is, which is unfortunate. Vector is probably Mafia. ToonyMan is... Maybe Town. It wouldn't matter if he's Mafia because he won't be dying tonight regardless. Waiting on EuchreJack, but if Vector is Mafia like I think they are, then it's not EJ based on the Gambler's Fallacy, which would, in fact, leave it as either NJW2000 or Maximum Spin as the last Mafia. NJW2000 is not out of meta, so I'd be willing to leave them as neutral, and thus, it's Maximum Spin and Vector.

webadict
Wow that got screwed up.

I was going to say that I can easily verify if you're telling the truth. You can say I'm a weak player but I caught you in D6 before you subbed out, and I called out both scum in the first round one after the other. If you want to underestimate me then I'm more than with not being fear killed tonight.
Being right and being weak are not mutually exclusive. You should consider reading comprehension if you think I'm pointing out your ability to find scum as weak.
Well, it was actually this post I saw. But that one gives the same energy.

Wait, no, that might be my post. Opps. Hehe.

Message 31 is also funny. :>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:44:41 pm by TricMagic »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 04, 2021, 10:00:16 pm »

@ToonyMan: I never said you were Town. Only that I would call you Town. There's a subtle difference.
I was actually signaling you back here :(

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 04, 2021, 10:19:20 pm »

@ToonyMan: I never said you were Town. Only that I would call you Town. There's a subtle difference.
I was actually signaling you back here :(

Apparently not good enough...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 04, 2021, 10:41:39 pm »

I got really paranoid since town!Web would always protect Vector with at least one layer of protection for N2. I couldn't trust the ally signals fully even though no one else was doing ally things, pretty foolish but hard to shake when you're alone and feel pressured by a role as powerful as the Captain. I even said I felt very underpowered and wanted to hope the Captain was an ally, but could not let myself be carried by wishful thinking.

I wasn't lying when I responded to Vector about having trouble reading Web. Normally when we're both town it's easy, but in this case we were both mafia and didn't know each other. This is a very odd and rare scenario I don't have much experience with. Jim and Irony did it perfectly in Bastard Paranormal 2 and I feel that would have happened here if I just killed Vector instead.

I felt there was a good chance the deflection would hit town since NJW was the only other possible ally if Web weren't. The blindspot was that if NJW was town there was a good chance he would target ME, which I should have realized and just went for Vector instead. That single kill decision between Vector and Web likely determined the game. I was extremely confused and devastated when not only Web was my ally, but also that they died.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 04, 2021, 10:55:24 pm »

I think my advice about decreasing reliance on meta is still good advice, even though Toonyman was mafia.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 153