Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60

Author Topic: News Update War in Ukraine - Junior Reporter Edition  (Read 59475 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War in Ukraine News Update - Junior Reporter Edition
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2022, 10:47:04 am »

Another $800M in military aid to Ukraine from the US, along with (an unspecified amount of?) more economic assistance money. Biden is going to request another $1.3B appropriations supplemental.

The latest arms shipment includes artillery and about 120 "Phoenix Ghost" UAVs. According to a Pentagon rep (well, according to a reporter who talked to a Pentagon rep) it's a flash-developed variant of the Switchblade (i.e. a kamikaze drone or 'loitering munition') made specifically for UA needs. Given the relative success of the MRAP program back in Afghanistan and the potential merits of using the conflict as a testbed (a very cynical thing to say, I know) I wouldn't be surprised to see more programs like this attempting to tailor tech for UA - i.e. to counter RU.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:52:43 pm by Dostoevsky »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2022, 01:06:03 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind, I just couldn't understand Joe.
His official speech from WhiteHouse.gov
...it is mostly what he said.  I think a couple of words/phrases might have come out differently during his speech, but I think it is a correct reflection of everything said, and perhaps a better representation of what he meant to say.

The best part of the speech:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was actually better when Joe said it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2022, 05:44:13 pm »

Given the relative success of the MRAP program back in Afghanistan and the potential merits of using the conflict as a testbed (a very cynical thing to say, I know) I wouldn't be surprised to see more programs like this attempting to tailor tech for UA - i.e. to counter RU.

Probably less than we saw in Operation Infinite Occupation. Most of the military problems that came out of that conflict were because the US armed forces and all US equipment plans were heavily optimized to obliterate a mass invasion from Soviet equipment in open battle (this is one reason why Desert Storm was so one-sided), and thus poorly suited toward a grinding low-intensity occupation. So there was great need of adaptation.

Ukraine right now is facing a mass invasion using Soviet equipment in open battle. One of the reasons NATO military aid is so effective is that the weapons being used against T-72s right now were created by engineers who sat down and devoted great ingenuity and expense trying to figure out how to destroy T-72s. There's much less need to adapt, except in exploring new and exciting fields like cheap drones.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2022, 07:18:45 pm »

Russia is accused of hiding evidence of war crimes by burying bodies in mass graves.

Spoiler: from Guardian updates (click to show/hide)

Also, over 7,600 war crimes committed by Russia have been recorded so far.

Spoiler: from Guardian updates (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2022, 06:56:39 am »

Damn that's fucked up, completely voided rules of engagement

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2022, 03:41:16 pm »

Vladimir Kara-Murza, a Russian opposition leader, has been charged for spreading 'false' information. He was arrested last week.

Quote from: Washington Post
Kara-Murza was arrested outside his home in Moscow last week and is serving a 15-day detention for allegedly evading police.

The more serious charge — an alleged violation of a vaguely-defined law supported by Russian President Vladimir Putin and enacted by Russia’s parliament just after the country’s invasion of Ukraine — was leveled Friday by a court in Moscow, according to a charging document posted on Facebook by his attorney, Vadim Prokhorov.

Kara-Murza, 40, who lives with his family in Northern Virginia, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Source: The Washington Post

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2022, 03:45:05 pm »

My guess is the political purge over there is officially underway, or if not then soon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2022, 04:14:14 pm »

My guess is the political purge over there is officially underway, or if not then soon.

There's also something going on with Russian oligarchs suddenly committing suicide. Six have died so far since the invasion began.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2022, 08:24:31 pm »

More mass graves found near Mariupol:

Quote from: The Guardian
Another mass grave has been found outside of Mariupol, the Associated Press has reported, citing the city council and an adviser to the mayor.

The city council posted a satellite photo provided by Planet Labs showing what it said was a mass grave 45 metres by 25 metres that could hold the bodies of at least 1,000 Mariupol residents.

It said the new reported mass grave is outside the village of Vynohradne, which is east of Mariupol.

Maxar Technologies, a US satellite imagery company, has also released images of the site.

Earlier this week, satellite photos from Maxar Technologies revealed what appeared to be rows of more than 200 freshly dug mass graves in the town of Manhush, located to the west of Mariupol.

Also, Moldova is concerned about Russian plans to take Donbas and southern Ukraine, which would open a gateway to the breakaway region of Transnistria.

Moldova has expressed “deep concern” and summoned the Russian ambassador following comments by a Russian military commander who said Moscow’s new aim was to seize control of southern Ukraine, which would also give it access to Transnistria, a pro-Russian breakaway region of Moldova.

“These statements are unfounded and contradict the position of the Russian Federation supporting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Moldova, within its internationally recognized borders,” Moldova’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

In a meeting with Russian ambassador Oleg Vasnetov, the ministry “reiterated that the Republic of Moldova, in line with its Constitution, is a neutral state and this principle must be respected by all international actors, including the Russian Federation,” it continued.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2022, 10:35:59 pm »

Moved to the emotional response thread sorry for polluting this thread with emotions
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:50:21 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2022, 10:43:31 pm »

Russian government and military need to be eradicated like the cockroaches they are.

Just an FYI, that sort of talk belongs in the Emotional Response thread. The discussion that could follow may be intense enough to risk this thread.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2022, 10:45:23 pm »

Oh sorry I thought I posted it in the emotional response thread
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2022, 10:47:25 pm »

You are forgiven, my son.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2022, 10:21:40 am »

Two more Russian generals have been killed, according to the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence

Two Russian generals killed near Kherson – Ukrainian Ministry of Defence

Two Russian generals have been killed near Kherson, the Ukrainian Ministry of Defence’s intelligence directorate has said. One is in critical condition.

The Ukrainian military on Friday hit a Russian command post near occupied regional capital Kherson, according to the statement.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60