Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119087 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2022, 11:14:14 am »

Their state ideology can't accept a defeat against inferior Ukrainians, against a failed state.
What worries me most is that it now all depends on the whims of a single guy - an old, bitter, cynical man full of grudges.

Strongpoint - if I may ask, how did you find the courage to stay in Ukraine? Did you consider leaving?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2022, 11:54:50 am »

Their state ideology can't accept a defeat against inferior Ukrainians, against a failed state.
Strongpoint - if I may ask, how did you find the courage to stay in Ukraine? Did you consider leaving?

I am in a safe rural area away from frontlines with no infrastructure or military objects nearby. The chances of some stray cruise missile hitting me are close to zero.

Amazingly, my personal life didn't change much. I have everything - electricity, usual food, internet. If you don't count being nervous as hell for the fate of my loved ones, especially my brother who having zero military skills volunteered on day 1.

My sister and her children are in Ireland now and I'll likely join her should Russians get closer.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2022, 02:34:15 pm »

The only question is whether they'd receive the images before the missiles launch and are detected by radar and the like. Presumably it doesn't take that long to launch a missile after opening such silos given the need to be able to launch missiles within about 30-45 minutes after the enemy launches theirs, since any missile still in its silo when a hostile nuke hits will be going nowhere.
I imagine that for a sufficient exchange, something of a theme of "oh look, their hatch is open" would be a recurring buzz amongst the analysts and/or the image-processing algorithms tasked to review the download from the small but significant cloud of top-down imagers that are whizzing around with this very specific job amongst their priority lists. Eyebrows would be raised fairly quickly as the duty officer realises that there's a lot of "possible spring-cleaning" being initiated in the last few minutes and more information would quickly be sought by specifically checking other indicative sites, in leiu of any other routine targets for review that are now considered secondary and can wait a bit...

For a limited-launch situation, no doubt the activities can be planned around known coverage-gaps (knowing where milsats are over, at any given moment, although perhaps with the assumption that orientation to capture oblique views is rarer) and then it'd be the wide-angled detectors primed to pinpoint the thermal blooms of launch-stages that'll raise eyebrows and not a little sweat. Those and the radar-systems that can quickly use artificial-aperture techniques once certain detection fingerprints have crossed thresholds in a general low-power sweep. (I'm guessing at how they work, but in an educated manner.) But for anything whose results are fairly likely to provoke a proportionately massive response, they might consider it as well to be hanged for a sheep as a lamb.

Thus I can't see it being anything other than just the same long-range conventionally-fipped attacks as seen landing all the way over to the west of Ukraine (whoops, was that a busy railway station we hit? We were sure it was the Nazi Stormtrooper HQ) or go for the major play to end all major plays and Press The Big Red Button (and let the devil tak the hindemost, ye ken?)... I can't see any scope for anything tactical. Possibly something like laying a demolition-sized warhead down upon the Azovstal plant complex (though, again, the complication of going non-conventional is clearly crossing a line), but they don't need ICBMs/hypersonic-FOBS to do that, given they're already milling around the outside and there's no benefit to risking a long-range miss (or the problems of whether/how much to take the cordon-manning troops and move them away a bit) when they could probably just use a forklift truck or three with a unit guarding the delivery/ies then withdrawing after lighting the metaphorically blue touchpaper...

Totally thin-air supposition on my part, of course. What's running through the minds of the coordinators and contingency planners, let alone their boss, is beyond my pay-grade. There'll be far more informed people than I worrying (or not) about how far this sort of thing will go. But my assessment is that it'll be very obvious if the balloon ever goes up, and long enough before it falls back down again for a whole lotta military/diplomatic/etc response to be initiated to try to halt it all. If it's a very committed bluff, the latter could be what diffuses/defuses it. If it aint, then good luck with the Iron Shield-type multinational system in winnowing everything down, as we almost simultaneously possibly get to see how good their defences operate. Nasty business, either way.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 28, 2022, 03:38:18 pm »

I have a strong feeling that Russians may try amphibious landing in the Budjak area with further advance around Moldova (or even invading into Moldova), joining with the Transnistria enclave.

Many indirect indications of this move - the renewed activity of the Black Sea Fleets, some rumors from the occupied Crimea, attacking a bridge that leads to this area, notorious Russian propagandist arriving in Transnistria...
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 28, 2022, 05:20:59 pm »

They're definitely planning to do something with Transnistria.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 28, 2022, 07:07:19 pm »

A short victorious war would be a stunningly creative solution to Russia's problem of being stuck in a short victorious war.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 28, 2022, 07:19:38 pm »

A commentator I heard said something to the effect of "...with Ukraine and Moldova, they'll be half way back to the Soviet Empire". Very-paraphrased, and I haven't compared it for myself[1] to verify I even heard it right.

[1] But Ukraine's a big block of real-estate, and once you do a Bolivia to it and remove all its direct access to the sea and much more of its land borders are also Russian... Doubtless that's part of the thinking by some people, across all 'sides' of the conflict. Possibly an incentive to Belarus to join in was to give them bonus access to a (Dnieper/Dnipro)-corridor, or something.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2022, 12:02:20 am »

A short victorious war would be a stunningly creative solution to Russia's problem of being stuck in a short victorious war.

I also think it is a good time to invade Finland before they join NATO. Who will respect Putin should he allow a new NATO country at Russian borders?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2022, 09:54:31 am »

I also think it is a good time to invade Finland before they join NATO. Who will respect Putin should he allow a new NATO country at Russian borders?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 09:56:22 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2022, 10:04:31 am »

A short victorious war

I love how waging a short victorious wars to solve underlying domestic issues is a solution that have been killing empires since Napoleon the third. Also big up to Putin "I'll deal with the US swiftly" after having his ass handed to him by Kiev's TDF.
Ukraine is currently bracing for a big push in the east next week, and free cities are currently shelled by russian artillery.

Also I don't know if the live map has been posted, but it's a good information source.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:08:21 am by Cathar »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2022, 10:22:10 am »

A short victorious war

I love how waging a short victorious wars to solve underlying domestic issues is a solution that have been killing empires since Napoleon the third. Also big up to Putin "I'll deal with the US swiftly" after having his ass handed to him by Kiev's TDF.
Ukraine is currently bracing for a big push in the east next week, and free cities are currently shelled by russian artillery.

Also I don't know if the live map has been posted, but it's a good information source.

I think that for Putin this is way more than improving his popularity. He always referred to the collapse of the USSR as the biggest geopolitical catastrophe of XX century and was determined to undo it.

At first, he tried to achieve it with propaganda, diplomacy, economic pressure and funding pro-Russian political parties. It didn't really work in Ukraine (but hurt our attempts to fix our country) and he went for a hybrid war in 2014 when it became obvious that there is no other way to prevent Ukraine from moving further away from Russia. Even that wasn't enough to the collapse Ukrainian state...

He isn't getting younger, there are more and more rumors that he is quite ill, and he wants to remain in history as the gatherer of Russian lands.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2022, 10:40:10 am »

He's going down in history as an amateur that killed hundreds of thousands for the sake of his ego. (Or as a puppet to the oligarchs in Russia.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2022, 10:59:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haha. The amount of people going to voluntary national defence has doubled in Finland after the invasion, and sniper courses have been particularly popular, so maybe that picture isn't so far off.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2022, 01:57:03 pm »

One thing amazes me. The Russian public pays very little attention to this war. They treat it as if it is some local operation of no significance, some political stuff that doesn't concern them

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2022, 05:52:35 pm »

The Russian public is fed (or kept from being fed) a very select diet of news.

I'm not sure you can blame them, there's been a mass Pavlovian indoctrination imposed upon them since the Glorious Days Of Soviet Empire, and any let up has been slammed back in their faces as part of the attempt to reconstitute the "Good Old Days".

I'm not saying the Western media is perfect, but it's a totally different flavour.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 167