Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 119195 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #975 on: August 24, 2022, 07:08:26 am »

It is interesting exactly who was targeted. It was the Propaganda people, a NON-military target.
1) There is no tactical reason for these targets to die, so it probably wasn't Ukrainian, American or British Intelligence.
2) There is a false flag rational in that Russia loses someone of little value to the war effort in exchange for building up some sort of outrage that they can leverage for a formal declaration of war.
3) There is a more blatant Revolutionary reason: Leftists are showing their commitment to eliminating the Russian Far-Right.

The fact that Russia blames Ukraine backs means its is more likely to be a false flag or actual revolution.  There have been reports of Partisan activity in Russia before now.

Ultimately, we're left to see what the National Republican Army does next.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 24, 2022, 07:34:21 am »

If anyone is interested, I found a decent (not perfect) translation of the manifesto of this NRA

Spoiler: manifesto (click to show/hide)

Are those guys real and not FSB's (or some other intelligence service) ruse or some clowns? At this point, I'd give like 10% of the probability that they are real. And it is perhaps too high because I actively want those to be real.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 24, 2022, 07:59:07 am »

If anyone is interested, I found a decent (not perfect) translation of the manifesto of this NRA

Are those guys real and not FSB's (or some other intelligence service) ruse or some clowns? At this point, I'd give like 10% of the probability that they are real. And it is perhaps too high because I actively want those to be real.
Based if true. If something starts, I will fight for them. If they're real.

inhales a whole bag of hopium
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 08:00:50 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 24, 2022, 09:06:51 am »

I can't say if the NRA exists or not (okay, maybe the National Rifle Association exists, but I'd like to think it doesn't), but there's quite a few Russians who are currently incarcerated for actions against the war.

The Moscow ABC (Anarchist Black Cross, a prisoner solidarity group) lists some of them in the anti-war section, in case if someone is interested (note: the prisoners are not necessarily anarchists, if it matters). The actions they're accused of are also mentioned there, and their prison addresses if you want to send letters to cheer them up (catch: they have to be written in Russian, but guess google translate will suffice).

You can find the list here.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 24, 2022, 09:27:30 am »

Maybe the translation makes it better, but it tracks with some of the positions declared by the former MP who revealed them and Russians that have left Russia because they disagree with Russia.
I understand it may sound silly to Ukraine, but I would give it much more than a 10% chance.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #980 on: August 24, 2022, 09:31:55 am »

So President Lukashenko just congratulated Ukraine's Independence today..

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 24, 2022, 09:49:29 am »

Let's also not forget about the "Freedom of Russia Legion" volunteer unit which is very real, fights on the frontline, and won't go anywhere no matter how the war will end. Those few hundreds are exactly what can be a basis for a future revolutionary army.

So President Lukashenko just congratulated Ukraine's Independence today..
And wished peaceful skies... literally when dozens of Russian missiles congratulate us from Belarusian territory. I heard 9 air raid sirens today
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 24, 2022, 10:53:54 am »

Let's also not forget about the "Freedom of Russia Legion" volunteer unit which is very real, fights on the frontline, and won't go anywhere no matter how the war will end. Those few hundreds are exactly what can be a basis for a future revolutionary army.

That is cool. I think that I heard about them, but not by name.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 25, 2022, 07:30:54 am »

To paraphrase Abigail Thorn here - When  antifascists come for the fascists, the fascists have a choice, to give up their beliefs. They can go the rest of their lives and stop being one. They suddenly won't be best buddies with antifascists but they'll leave them alone. But if you find yourself in the target of the fascists, because of your identity, things you can't change, there's nothing you can do to please or compromise with fascists, except stop existing. If you're a political enemy of antifascism you can become a friend. If you're a political enemy of fascism, either they lose or you die.

This isn't how violence works out.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 25, 2022, 08:17:03 am »

To paraphrase Abigail Thorn here - When  antifascists come for the fascists, the fascists have a choice, to give up their beliefs. They can go the rest of their lives and stop being one. They suddenly won't be best buddies with antifascists but they'll leave them alone. But if you find yourself in the target of the fascists, because of your identity, things you can't change, there's nothing you can do to please or compromise with fascists, except stop existing. If you're a political enemy of antifascism you can become a friend. If you're a political enemy of fascism, either they lose or you die.

This isn't how violence works out.
There is no other way. They cannot be saved. This unfortunate ideology, which we have put up with far too long, has proven to be too much of a danger to society to not crack down on.

Glory to the NRA. Hundreds more must die like Dugina did. Treat them like the partisans treated the Nazi occupants. I don't even care as much for the American fascists anymore. Putinist blood must flow.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:21:52 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 25, 2022, 09:33:02 am »

The word fascist is so watered down... It is used to label a huge variety of people, including anyone bigoted (even of non-violent moderate variety), or any conservative, or even anyone not from your political camp. And I wouldn't like to live in a country ruled by "antifascists" which is a violent and totalitarian ideology of a slightly different variety.

But when dealing with actual fascists, especially ones in power, there are no no-violent options. In this situation, pacifists with their "we shouldn't be like them and violence is bad" only help the evil to triumph.

Also, we are beating a dead horse... 

In context of this thread, I welcome any violence within Russia, I don't care who will cause trouble: Anarchists, Stalinists, Islamists, Liberals, baby-eating Satanists. Any trouble in Russia will save Ukrainian lives.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #986 on: August 25, 2022, 09:44:50 am »

Yeah the issue is with authoritarianism that also mandates the death or displacement of people (which...in practice is most of them as it turns out). Fascism, as in the philosophy of authoritarianism that devalues human life so much, can't really be reasoned with or debated. Reason and debate in a democracy relies on the assumption that there's a broad agreement in a majority of norms and goals, and simply disagreement on approach.

It simply has to be denied, via first exposing and preventing those who follow it from being able to hold positions of power or respect via both electorate (don't f*cking vote for them, deny them the room to speak) and legally mandated means (making membership in the neo-nazi organizations illegal and cracking down on them, and recognizing that freedom of speech doesn't grant freedom to use speech to infringe the rights of others and so making hate speech illegal).

If that fails then you really are left with violent rebellion, complicity, death (or a combination thereof) as your only options.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:04:32 pm by MorleyDev »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 25, 2022, 01:34:06 pm »

So, I think I've given my rough conjecture on all the different possible outcomes of the war but if I recall it was in the old WWIII thread, and also might not have been as extensive as the latest one I wrote up for elsewhere.

As usual I put probably too much effort into underlining all the ways in which the absolute worst-case scenario can be infinitely more of a slow decaying death of global civilization as we know it, and not something as blase as global nuclear war.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 25, 2022, 03:37:45 pm »

The only way for Russia to get something resembling victory is to somehow stop Western financial and military aid provided to Ukraine. Even then, with stuff Ukraine already has, it will be a long and grueling campaign. I can't imagine what kind of resources Russia needs to spend to capture a single major city like Kharkiv or Mykolaiv even if Ukraine will run out of artillery shells and be forced to defend with infantry alone.

Note that even if they will somehow stop or severely limit British\American\German\etc aid to Ukraine, Poland and the Baltic states will continue to provide support. It is simple self-preservation. Czechia and Slovakia will likely continue to assist, too.

So forget about any options with full annexation. Perhaps one more major city after a ridiculous amount of resources spent to achieve this goal. Russia can't move further without using WMD (the frontline is static for more than a month).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 25, 2022, 04:47:10 pm »

Stopping American aid just plain isn't happening. Backing Ukraine is obscenely popular, so there's no real risk of a leadership change (which is also growing increasingly less likely in the short term) cutting off the supply. And as long as the US is willing to supply the guns, they will get there.

If all of Europe save Poland or Slovakia drops out, the US will fly weapons into Poland or Slovakia for distribution. If everybody except the US drops out, the US will fly straight into Ukraine and DARE Russia to interfere. Not only is the US perfectly willing to spend treasure like water in a fight that is increasingly being seen as "The 2022 version of 1938 Czechloslovakia", more and more it is becoming a thing of national honor.

This is a supply line that can not be cut.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 167