Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 118576 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #1050 on: August 30, 2022, 01:02:32 pm »

Like I said, a low chance of success is better than none. Using those odds as an argument against actually trying to fight fascism is just defeatism, especially if the option you're arguing in favor of has still-lower odds.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 30, 2022, 01:17:41 pm »

In what way is endless civil war a success?

Or are we just defining success as murdering the incumbents and their allies, and caring nothing for what happens after?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 30, 2022, 01:27:28 pm »

Hey, why these weird Arab examples? Take Russia! Check this out:
Unpopular war. Armed uprising based on grand ideals (and ample Western support, natch). Russians fighting amongst each other. The rebels winning. The rebels proceeding to invade their neighbours within a couple years. The rebels destroying the economy to the point of starvation. The rebels enacting a reign of terror exceeding the previous regime's.
Yes, it's the wonderful Bolshevik revolution. But the Tsar is no more, so it's a success, right? Besides, this time it'll work out better, I'm sure.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 30, 2022, 01:46:42 pm »

As a Russian, I'm sorry for the crimes my people inflicted on the people of Ukraine. Whenever I talk to an Ukrainian on the internet, I profusely apologize if the subject comes up. I'm really guilty.
I sympathise with the sentiment, but you're no more guilty than any other fellow human being in this mess. I feel sorry for ordinary Russians who don't want this - you're a victim of a horrible police state ruled by thugs.

Wish I had half the courage to start any sort of revolution if I was in your position. To be honest I would probably chicken out and attempt to flee the country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 30, 2022, 01:59:23 pm »

As a Russian, I'm sorry for the crimes my people inflicted on the people of Ukraine. Whenever I talk to an Ukrainian on the internet, I profusely apologize if the subject comes up. I'm really guilty.
I sympathise with the sentiment, but you're no more guilty than any other fellow human being in this mess. I feel sorry for ordinary Russians who don't want this - you're a victim of a horrible police state ruled by thugs.

Wish I had half the courage to start any sort of revolution if I was in your position. To be honest I would probably chicken out and attempt to flee the country.

Nobody in the thread has the courage to start a revolution either, that’s why they’re in the thread talking about it. ::)

You don’t have to be in a country to actually do anything in the country either. Erdogan blamed a Turkish cleric for the “coup attempt” a few years ago. The Dalai Lama has been exiled for years and he’s still doing good for Tibet.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 30, 2022, 02:23:05 pm »

I sometimes wonder what would I do if MY nation would go crazy... If I would be among 10(5? 2? 1?)% of sane ones among fascist hysteria

I won't tell you to not feel guilty, if anything, as a Ukrainian, I would love to see more of this coming from Russians but...

Ask yourself are you of the same nation as them? Perhaps it is time to decide that they are not Russians... or that you are not a Russian. Are they really your people to willingly share the collective guilt? In the end, you are the one who decides who are your people and who are not. What makes you one of them? Mother language? Citizenship? Place of Birth? It is not enough. Nationality is about a person's set of ideas and I doubt that your set is very similar to those people's.

With you being 20 years old, Your personal guilt is minimal. You didn't quite participate in the creation of this political system by action or inaction.

In any case, you have a long hard road ahead. I don't envy you.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 30, 2022, 09:54:38 pm »

I sometimes wonder what would I do if MY nation would go crazy... If I would be among 10(5? 2? 1?)% of sane ones among fascist hysteria

I won't tell you to not feel guilty, if anything, as a Ukrainian, I would love to see more of this coming from Russians but...

Ask yourself are you of the same nation as them? Perhaps it is time to decide that they are not Russians... or that you are not a Russian. Are they really your people to willingly share the collective guilt? In the end, you are the one who decides who are your people and who are not. What makes you one of them? Mother language? Citizenship? Place of Birth? It is not enough. Nationality is about a person's set of ideas and I doubt that your set is very similar to those people's.

With you being 20 years old, Your personal guilt is minimal. You didn't quite participate in the creation of this political system by action or inaction.

In any case, you have a long hard road ahead. I don't envy you.
See, I like Russian history and culture to an extent. I just really hate the government and a large chunk of the population. And I disagree with your definition of nationality. It's ethnic, not ideological. I could renounce my citizenship and move to Germany and I would still be clearly and irreversibly Russian.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 30, 2022, 10:26:54 pm »

Or are we just defining success as murdering the incumbents and their allies, and caring nothing for what happens after?
Look, we have to take the risk, it's better than leaving Putin in power. If only the Russian people realized that.

Unpopular war. Armed uprising based on grand ideals (and ample Western support, natch). Russians fighting amongst each other. The rebels winning. The rebels proceeding to invade their neighbours within a couple years. The rebels destroying the economy to the point of starvation. The rebels enacting a reign of terror exceeding the previous regime's.
Yes, it's the wonderful Bolshevik revolution. But the Tsar is no more, so it's a success, right? Besides, this time it'll work out better, I'm sure.
Except the revolution had many democratic elements and was hijacked by the Bolshevik faction. I am a Menshevik demsoc larper. So yes I say try again.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 30, 2022, 11:04:36 pm »

Look, we have to take the risk, it's better than leaving Putin in power. If only the Russian people realized that.

The only thing that’s going to beat Putin in the violence stakes is something worse than Putin. Don’t wish that on yourself.

Except the revolution had many democratic elements and was hijacked by the Bolshevik faction. I am a Menshevik demsoc larper. So yes I say try again.

Obviously history could never repeat itself :p

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 30, 2022, 11:27:02 pm »

The only thing that’s going to beat Putin in the violence stakes is something worse than Putin. Don’t wish that on yourself.

Obviously history could never repeat itself :p
1. Prove it.
2. It could but I am willing to take risks.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 30, 2022, 11:57:52 pm »

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2053168016630837

The central message of this study is clear: though coups against autocrats have sometimes led to democratization, more often they install a new set of autocratic elites and expose citizens to higher levels of repression.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 31, 2022, 12:00:59 am »

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2053168016630837

The central message of this study is clear: though coups against autocrats have sometimes led to democratization, more often they install a new set of autocratic elites and expose citizens to higher levels of repression.
And there is no way a peaceful revolution will succeed at all. I know a violent one is risky, but I am willing to take said risk. Kill.

Anyways, I'm tired of this conversation.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 31, 2022, 12:20:39 am »

Prove it.

What do you think a nonviolent rebellion looks like and why would it fail?

Edit: I can only conclude from this you’re not interested in revolution, you’re not interested change, and you’re not interested in making things better. All you want is revenge.

If you embark on the journey to revenge, dig two graves, though in this instance you’d be better just cutting out the middleman: dig one, jump in, and shoot yourself.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 12:35:58 am by hector13 »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 31, 2022, 01:55:52 am »

Prove it.

Edit: I can only conclude from this you’re not interested in revolution, you’re not interested change, and you’re not interested in making things better. All you want is revenge.

If you embark on the journey to revenge, dig two graves, though in this instance you’d be better just cutting out the middleman: dig one, jump in, and shoot yourself.
1. People have explained that before. Peaceful rebellion only works when the government gives a shit. Even Gandhi said peaceful rebellion wouldn't have worked in Nazi Germany.
2. False. I do want change, I just believe the only way to do so in Russia at this point is violence. I'd prefer peace if I believed it was possible. I said this several times and you ignored me. You keep strawmanning me like a little baby who ran out of points to make and keeps ignoring any counterarguments to repeat "it won't work" over and over.

Honestly this discussion radicalized me against pacifism even more, by showing its supporters to have stuck their heads in the sand. I just want to get it over with because you are clearly not arguing in good faith.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 02:02:34 am by MaxTheFox »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 31, 2022, 02:06:37 am »

Prove it.

See Belarus 2020 as an example of "peaceful rebellion". Crowds were ignored, leaders were imprisoned and tortured. Nothing changed

Please, please model a peaceful rebellion that removes Putin from power. I am REALLY curious
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 167