Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 52567 times)

bateau-de-coal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:09 am »

If OP is still reading this, I recommend to you the fediverse. They're officially receiving twitter refugees now. There are some Chinese users there, myself included. Also if you're over 18, you may actually check out tindr. I don't use it but I heard that people sometimes even hold intellectual conversations there!

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2022, 09:38:17 am »

The memetic strength of an idea does not equal its quality. By that argument fascism is not the worst idea ever, because it has spread before and may still do.
But who is, with their own biases, qualified to determine the quality of an idea? The politican? The CEO? The Pope? Some nerd in a labcoat? Some fuck with a megaphone? Someone on Twitter?

Ideas evolve, mutate, change, but for that to happen, they must come in contact with other ideas. They must battle and intermix on the arena of ideas. In isolated, controlled echo-chambers those ideas will undergo the memetic equivalent of inbreeding and all that results from such.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2022, 09:40:21 am »

I see your point. Although I disagree on your conclusion, I respect your point of view.
Thank you for humoring me.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2022, 09:52:32 am »

The memetic strength of an idea does not equal its quality. By that argument fascism is not the worst idea ever, because it has spread before and may still do.
But who is, with their own biases, qualified to determine the quality of an idea? The politican? The CEO? The Pope? Some nerd in a labcoat? Some fuck with a megaphone? Someone on Twitter?

Ideas evolve, mutate, change, but for that to happen, they must come in contact with other ideas. They must battle and intermix on the arena of ideas. In isolated, controlled echo-chambers those ideas will undergo the memetic equivalent of inbreeding and all that results from such.

oh no, the public didn't accept my racist ideas and now my racism is inbred with more racism, however will my racism have genetic diversity now, they'll never accept my racism like this

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2022, 10:24:49 am »

I see your point. Although I disagree on your conclusion, I respect your point of view.
Thank you for humoring me.
Thanks for being civil.

oh no, the public didn't accept my racist ideas and now my racism is inbred with more racism, however will my racism have genetic diversity now, they'll never accept my racism like this
I know right? What would society have to gain from allowing fascist ideas to be tolerated? If those ideas become "inbred"... the world's smallest violin will play a tearful symphony.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2022, 10:36:42 am »

Never used it in the first place

Same here, from what I've heard facebook is where you post that you're about to poop and twitter is where you brag about it when you're done.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2022, 10:46:58 am »

Can’t delete Twitter if you never use it in the first place *points to head*
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2022, 11:21:33 am »

I can see that I managed to start a fire by saying I like tumblr ...

Harassment and dogpiling are really common on Twitter, and also it's hard to make larger points or write and share essays. The content I like is usually not available on Twitter.

Additionally, I agree that the attempts to censor Tumblr are annoying, but Twitter has known issues with banning users from the platform for saying that they are queer and with not getting rid of Nazi types engaged in aggressive behaviors. The Tumblr community is much more robust and stable in that sense. I was never there for art, pr0nz, or female-presenting nipples, rather the big 'ol text posts I previously mentioned. It works fine for what I want it to do.

Realistically I should probably join Mastodon or Pillowfort, but I haven't yet.

PS: I actually don't have a tumblr account either. I just like the site more.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2022, 12:07:33 pm »

Same here, from what I've heard facebook is where you post that you're about to poop and twitter is where you brag about it when you're done.

And Instagram is where you post a filtered picture of it.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2022, 12:16:36 pm »

And Instagram is where you post a filtered picture of it.

And Discord is where you provide a play-by-play of the whole thing.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2022, 12:34:42 pm »

tumblr is a nice site because the damn thing clearly marks with an icon when its randomly decided which posts it will send me.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2022, 12:37:42 pm »

Censorship is life support for unviable ideas.
If one needs to censor the opposing viewpoint in order to "prevent it from spreading", then maybe their own idea wasn't all that good to begin with if it can't stand on it's own without being propped up.

That's a very foolish statement indeed. Many harmful ideas are extremely viable in the sphere of public debate while being incorrect, self-annihilating and harmful to humans in the real world.

It's all very well to smugly talk about how the best ideology will win out eventually if none of them are allowed to censor their opponents while ignoring that hundreds of thousands of people die every time the pendulum of public opinion swings into the more fiery zones of ideology.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:39:35 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2022, 12:46:41 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2022, 01:54:42 pm »

If OP is still reading this, I recommend to you the fediverse. They're officially receiving twitter refugees now. There are some Chinese users there, myself included. Also if you're over 18, you may actually check out tindr. I don't use it but I heard that people sometimes even hold intellectual conversations there!

I'm still reading this. Thanks for the heads up on fediverse, I'll definitely check it out. Tbh I kinda forgot I made this thread and I made it as soon as I woke and first thing I see is news about twitter. After that I took a couple day break from reading news or dealing with any of that, much more relaxing really lol. Though granted, the deal may not work out in the end with twitter, but either way...fediverse I'll look up definitely today. Thanks :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2022, 02:00:14 pm »

Whether it works out or not, the deal alone just caused Tesla's stock to drop $114 billion.

Lol. He's so fucking rich even his losses are absurd numbers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 69