Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53376 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #390 on: November 01, 2022, 05:33:12 pm »

To put a different spin on that 500% increase, from NPR's article
Twitter's head of safety and integrity, Yoel Roth, also warned of coordinated efforts to proliferate hateful posts and said the platform was banning users involved in the trolling campaign.

"Over the last 48 hours, we've seen a small number of accounts post a ton of Tweets that include slurs and other derogatory terms," he tweeted on Saturday evening, noting that just 300 accounts were responsible for more than 50,000 tweets using one slur.
So, what happens if Musk is able to destroy the bot networks on twitter? Doesn't this mean the actual promoters of racism and hate speech become more exposed to social and legal persecution?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 01, 2022, 06:13:10 pm »

I'm still more and more convinced that if reincarnation is a thing, Elon Musk is Howard Hughes.

The last piece of confirmation would be if he locks himself in a theater for an extended duration and puts his urine in jars.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 01, 2022, 06:51:03 pm »

...and flies into space and back exactly once (unscheduled!) in a giant rocket made mostly of wood?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 01, 2022, 10:51:14 pm »

I hope this link works - artist's conception of Musk explaining his purchase of Twitter, using his words.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/687773566686855241/1035735807572590743/YouCut_20221028_190139838.mp4

That was hilarious.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 01, 2022, 11:11:57 pm »

The crazy thing is that ignoring context, it's a pretty rad speech.  I can see it being convincing.

Too bad I am aware of Musk's pattern of extravagant lies when it comes to grand promises.  Also the stock manipulation.
also I've only watched a little macross or whatever but I think that guy might be a baddy

so I probably shouldn't relate with the chick at the end, I assume that's bad
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 01, 2022, 11:47:09 pm »

Right on!  :D
(Totally sharing that with my brother tomorrow, he *loves* Star Wars)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2022, 03:15:35 am »

I'm still of the opinion that the world is better off without social media.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2022, 06:58:11 am »

I'unno, I think the more accurate statement might be "better off without for-profit social media". Lot of the problems we have with it trace back to issues involving monetization. It might be a better situation if that just... wasn't there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2022, 08:21:24 am »

My initial main experience of NFP 'social media' was Usenet[1], but that was best when it was essentially selective to its clientelle (those happy few, comparatively, with access to it).

Good atmosphere, universal coverage, light-touch administration: "Choose any two"? If you're lucky to get both/either of those.

That said, I've not been to most of the places (or touched most of the territory covered by named regions) shown here, in 2007 or in the main-map shown here, in 2010, so I'm judging from afar. I don't think I'm particularly wrong, though... you could argue the specifics (say, with the likes of Wikipedia, if that truly counts), but there's probably some sociological law about this.

[1] Or BBSs, but I can't be sure they were all as globally altruistic as my chosen hangouts. And I obviously IRCed, but I was never so much a fan of live-chat, under most circumstances, even if I would happily refresh for/submit to 'asynchronous' messaging to make it nearly so!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 02, 2022, 02:07:08 pm »

I'm still of the opinion that the world is better off without social media.

Yeah everyone should just return to using forums.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 02, 2022, 03:47:42 pm »

Yeah everyone should just return to using forums.

Think of all the funny things that will happen on the way there!

/shameless

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 02, 2022, 04:21:26 pm »

I'unno, I think the more accurate statement might be "better off without for-profit social media". Lot of the problems we have with it trace back to issues involving monetization. It might be a better situation if that just... wasn't there.

I think you might have hit upon Musky's Great Business Strategy. He buys Twitter, musks around to pay less for it, then sells/leases it to the Government for twice as much as he paid.  It sort of matches how he's pursued his other businesses.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 02, 2022, 04:48:10 pm »

Question is, which government? More than one state would be happy to Own The Bird Site, I estimate.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2022, 11:02:26 pm »

I don't really use social media, unless DIscord counts as social media (but then IRC or any other chatroom is also social media).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69