Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 52580 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!
« Reply #960 on: September 16, 2023, 11:37:10 am »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #961 on: September 28, 2023, 06:07:24 am »

Elon, we have a problem.
I love how goat natured the Haddington boys are. Good lads

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 04, 2023, 12:56:20 pm »

Not linking my account as I try my best to keep every account separate from each other. Don't need my real life information exposed, best to limit that as much as possible.

But...apparently get enough hits, you can make decent amount of money on X. At least decent in my standards (I make roughly 1k a month...so....take that as you will)...I kinda like the platform in the standpoint I get news from around the world that US media just doesn't cover. They barely cover middle east, barely cover china/taiwan (though more these days than past, still limited), barely cover india stuff etc. I also think elon is very weird (especially his choice in partners)...but ok I admit I like making a nice easy money that more than pays for itself

My X is more for gaming than politics though. My gaming tweets (or X's? Still dunno what they call it lol) vastly higher hits than the rare political stuff I tweet about. And lets be honest, political tweets are all junk even my own political opinion if I tweet about it...IS STILL JUNK lol. I hate politics so any politics is junk even if its my own opinion on it :P

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 04, 2023, 01:13:47 pm »

Yea no, I use a separate email and browser for twitter.

There's a term for advertisements tracking you beyond sites that use their api, but I'm just gonna call it cross-tracking.

Twitter advertisers or twitter themselves has fingers in every pie. I am un-nerved by all the targetting advertising pursuing me across the web. Can't have that shit.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #964 on: October 04, 2023, 08:17:13 pm »

The memetic strength of an idea does not equal its quality.
a seriously depressing thought, but the more I think about it the clearer the truth of it gets
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 01, 2023, 06:48:04 am »

So, Elon is warning about AI... That it'll be used by environmentalists to extinguish mankind(!). He thinks that People are more important than Planet, of course.

Spoiler: Personal opinion (click to show/hide)

More "Musk news" than anything to do with Twi/X, I know, though you can bet your bottom bitcoin that he will be working to push his vision of AI into the workings of whatever-it's-called-today... He's just trying to look significant, with this particular comment, which is probably some sort of meta-level (but not 'Meta'-level) insecurity given that he's hardly going to be forgotten soon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2023, 10:15:34 am »

If I had to guess, he's trying to rile up the chuds. "The AI made the frogs gay!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2023, 11:02:44 am »

Yes, the environmentalists and not the corporations producing AI are the threat.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2023, 12:38:15 pm »

Do you not fear Big Enviro???
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2023, 04:07:39 pm »

fear more having to figure out what to do with their bodies after big oil gets the cops to murder some more of them, really
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2023, 04:15:18 pm »

I still can't figure out how people think AI is going to destroy things. Unless we connect AI to actual machines, or we let AI re-wire our brains like Dollhouse, or we just blindly follow instructions from AI without checking it first, there's just no physical mechanism by which AI can effect any change.

So if AI does "destroy the world" - it's the fault of whoever connects it to actuators.

I think the Dollhouse scenario is probably the most entertaining to be honest.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2023, 06:39:19 pm »

I will care about AI when it exists.

A large language model is only artificially intelligent if you dumb down the definition of "intelligent" to the point a turd like Musk counts. The dipshit who so far lit 20 billion on fire in a desperate move to be popular among the only people dumber than he is and somehow failed when the bar was a tripping hazard in hell.

Anybody here play with cleverbot back in the day?

Remember how there was a point where it seemed really ...clever suddenly?

Remember noticing shit YOU had said to it coming back out?

Is cleverbot an AI?

Obviously not, but it's as close to being a weak AI as modern chatbots are, and those are just--to borrow a perfect phrase--blurry .jpegs of the internet.

If you screenshotted every page on wikipedia and compressed them enough to fit in your phone would it be the same as wikipedia?

A better question: does the average post or site on the internet seem like it has an impressive mind behind it?

Probably not, but it definitely seems like there is SOME sort of mind back there on that side of the page, yeah?

So why would smushing those up and regurgitating them as a chatbot do anything but lower the resolution? It can still feel like there is someone back there, because prior to the scraping/feeding/training/barfing/displaying steps there was.

The real AI is the trolls we blocked along the way, sadly.
This is not a signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 02, 2023, 12:58:33 am »

Wonder how long it will take us to get an actual AI?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 02, 2023, 01:40:15 am »

I mean, we're roughly as close nowadays as we were 20 years ago. Which is to say, not remotely, but scammy businesspricks figured they needed a new way to juice stock prices once crypto crashed and burned (for the nth time, just very out in the open to the public this time) so they "pivot" to AI by cramming--what would be impressive if they just called it LLM/voice/chat--interfaces into shit and buzzing it as "AI" which they may as well just be saying "wooo it's magic!" because it's just as accurate.

Like have you heard of The Culture novels?

The ships in those stories are often huge cities floating around the galaxy operated by Minds which find us little people interesting and basically treat us like beloved pets, but on the surface the interface may appear similar to that of Star Trek: ask a question to the air and get an answer.

Except a Mind has people do things because it is good enrichment for us, while the Enterprise is frustratingly dumb and NEEDS to be operated for some reason.

We're no closer to building a Mind now than we were decades ago, but a seemingly impressive yet actually dumb voice interface like they have on Star Trek? Yeah we can do that, but it ain't AI.
This is not a signature.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 02, 2023, 01:49:46 am »

I consider true AI to be undesirable, honestly. I don't want to have to deal with the ethical quandaries. And I want a tool not an equal, thus I'd rather we go further towards this paradigm-- which I agree is not just far from sapience but will never reach it. I want my tools to not complain about being used, or actually be able to comprehend that they are being used.

Though honestly I don't like that kind of prescriptivism. The meaning of AI has shifted to include machine learning, for better or for worse, and this change occurred before the 2023 AI boom. We can't change that now. So I differentiate between true AI (which is-- and hopefully will forever stay-- a sci-fi tech) and regular AI which is only a simulacrum of intelligence.

AI has actually done a lot for science, protein folding for example has seen a huge boost and it's all worth it honestly. LLMs and so on are neat but they're a byproduct tech. They're just more obvious so people talk about them more.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 69