Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 69930 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #540 on: April 29, 2023, 02:21:34 pm »

Part V:
Before and After

1st of Felsite, 374
The Mining Outpost of Rivermine

Ral Curlrock sat at her desk. She put down her quill and laid her hands on the arms of her chair. Finally she had completed it, a guide to Rivermine, which she had titled 'The Camp: Before and After'. She thought it a very clever name, since it began with her, Edëm, Tulon and Rith searching for a place to establish a mining outpost almost precisely three years ago, and went through all its phases and hardships until this very day.

Yes, she had much reason to be satisfied, and certainly baron Stukos would be pleased to read it (naturally Ral glorified and praised the baron in it to such an extent that it would make most people cringe).

(Several excerpts from The Camp: Before and After, authored by Ral Curlrock)

“The mine shaft of Rivermine penetrates deep into the very heart of the earth mischievous Ôsed formed in the times before the beginning of times, through a variety of layer of stone gifted to us by the grace of the Gods of Rock: strong and sturdy granite, grainy schist and the dark-colored basalt and andesite.”

“The shaft punctures into and through the winding hollows and caves concealed within the rock, with incredible beasts of both benign and foul nature living in said caverns -- though, Rivermine has been blessed by the Golden and none of the latter have been sighted.”

“As we, the mountain folk of Ustuth Ïdath under glorious rule of His Unaging Majesty, King Såkzul Cudgeltapers, very well know, the deep hollows of the earth hold a plentitude of danger. Therefore we erected palisades around the entries to the mines.”

“They would, naturally, be of no use against flying creatures and avian predators, or -- may the Prince of Duty protect us -- if one of the ancient horrors of legends comes from the dark.”

“These measures were taken immediately after the breach, for the safety of my servants and the subjects of the King are of my greatest concern. We did, however, encounter a few cave swallow men before the palisade rose -- they were possibly of a tribe of some sort, barely intelligent. Fortunately they merely took a peek into the shaft and were off, and have not been since then.”

“As I had expected, and as wise Stukos Matchedsabres, the rightful baron of Waterlures, clearly had known (for indeed in his infinite wisdom he had sent us to this place for a reason), the ore we sought was deep within the bowels of the earth.”

“The first hollows we breached yielded not much but gem, and we had to delve all the way until we broke into a second layer until we struck red ironstone. Were it not for my insistence and the word of the baron on my side, the others certainly would have given up a long time ago and abandoned the whole venture as a waste.”

“I, for one, never had any doubts of the success of our mission.”

“Above on the surface Rivermine has grown in these few years. What started off as two buildings that served as living and working place along with storage, has now grown to include many a structure. On the north, we have built a house with a communal dining area and living space above. On the south, we have stables, and a guard house, which has a kitchen, main hall and living spaces.”

“In the guard house, next to the bridge we built over river Swayedcrypt, is an office, which shall serve as a toll keeper's office. It is only right that the great baron Stukos will be paid for the effort he has put into offering passage over the treacherous waters.”

“It is my hope that one day the bridge will be named Sazir Stukos, the Bridge of Razors, in honor of our benevolent benefactor.”

“Indeed, the future of Rivermine looks bright and prosperous: we have struck rich veins of ironstone, gems are abundant and we have safe passage over the river. May Mestthos protect us and the generous baron's wealth until the moment we have prepared proper defenses.”

4th of Felsite, 374
The Tower of Islandfences

“Ah, so you have finally come. I have been expecting you.”

It was the dwarf with his back turned to the large elephant man who spoke with a grating, raspy voice. He was looking at a statue of a dwarf in front of him, unfazed by the intrusion into his chambers. On his right side was a child, once an elf, now only a shriveled husk kept alive with dark magics. On his left side was another child, once a goblin, now but a mere memory of a lively child, sitting on an iron table. The plague thrall children were playing a soulless form of make believe -- something they would continue to do for the rest of eternity.

A slight smile came to the elephant man's face as he watched them, as at the same time he dodged the pitiful attempts of an animated corpse to wail at him. “Yes, I know. I seek Kadol, are you him?” The elephant man said to the dwarf, continuing, “I am Cañar Spiritcoal the Armored Groove of Persuaders. And I have come to bring this world to peace.”

The dwarf slowly turned around. He was holding a hatch cover made of bones in his hands. He set it aside calmly, then turned to look Cañar in the eyes with a deep, penetrating gaze with his amethyst eyes. “No, I am not Kadol,” he finally answered, “I am Lokum Armoresteemed, and I am the overlord of Islandfences in his absence.”

Before Cañar found the words to respond, the dwarf continued, looking at the mockeries of children, “It is good that you have come to realize what true peace is. Life, is in a word, torture.”

“Yes, I was wrong for a long time,” Cañar spoke, “I and my companions, we saw the likes of you -- and now me -- as the true enemy...” He paused for a moment, sidestepping another blow from the wasting corpse next to him.

“But I have been contemplating for a few years on it now,” he continued, “I spoke with the True Gods. And I understood. Life, as you said, is torture. Torment. Seeking to inflict suffering. Giving and taking. Mostly taking. Causing unimaginable pain... But once there is no Life, no emotion, there is... Peace. I can feel it now in me.”

“Good, good,” the dwarf said with a grin, “Eventually all will come to the same conclusion. But you did not seek me only to tell this, no?”

“No,” the elephant man said, “I have come to offer my fealty. The Dawn of Peace will pay homage to the Prestigious Glazes -- if you will accept such a thing.”

The dwarf looked Cañar from head to toe, rubbed his beardless chin and said with a broad smile, “I accept your offer.”

5th of Felsite, 374

Cañar opened the door that led into the hillside and stepped in. He had arrived at Grownwaters, the retirement home of his former traveling companion Ova.

“Ova, are you home?” Cañar said with a raised voice as he noticed the main hall empty, the tables covered in dust and cobwebs in the corners of the roof. He stepped into the hallway leading to Ova's chambers, continuing, “Old friend, it is I, Cañar. We must speak.”

No answer.

He searched the house, adjacent buildings and the surroundings, but there was no sign of the mandrill man. 'So you are not here, then. A pity. I would have very much liked to see you. Tell you what I have learned,' Cañar thought as he re-entered Ova's home and walked back to the hallway, looking at the hatch at its end.

He turned to look at the four shambling human corpses following him. They were moaning all the time, mindlessly, and a couple were dragging their entrails behind them. “Well, it looks like my friend isn't here,” he spoke to them, despite very well knowing they had no semblance of intelligence to them. He sighed.

“It matters not. There is something else I came here for,” he continued and reached down to open the trapdoor.

He walked down the steep stairs, stepped on the sand floor and walked to the end of the room where a casket lay with two pedestals next to it.

The animated corpses followed him obediently.

He opened the casket and a waft of foul air carrying the scent of death came out, but Cañar was unperturbed by it. It was a comforting smell, a smell he had come to embrace: the smell of peace.

“My friend Rin,” he said to the corpse in the casket, covered in gem, coin and other goods, “Forgive me to disturb your peace, but time has come for you to wake up. There is still work we have to do.”

The elephant man made a simple gesture with his hand as he looked at the body he had laid on the sand. The darkness in the room seemed to become momentarily darker as the eyes -- or what was left of them -- of the dead goblin began to glow an eerie blue. The corpse shuddered and began to move.

Cañar smiled.

8th of Felsite, 374
The Keep of Lonecanyons

Oko had lost track of days while he was staying in Lonecanyons, helping out in all manner of chores and building work -- mainly finishing the roofing of one peasant house. Possibly over a week had gone by (it was no use asking Amana, for the fairy often forgot if it's morning or night), but then again the badger man was in no hurry.

However, today he would continue his journey towards the place called Waterlures, for he had heard much more about it while staying at the keep.

“...And so I saw the dwarves were good and, and -- wait, no,” Oko scratched his badger head as he stumbled in his words. He was telling a story of how he came to live with the dwarves of Treethimbles, but kept forgetting all the details. He really wasn't much of a story teller, and he kept backtracking all the time and changing the story. It was awful to listen to, and one could see it on lord Thob's face (even though he tried to be polite and appear to listen with interest).

“Ah, now I got it!” The badger man exclaimed as he thought he remembered the end of the story, “So, it was this Iden, a dwarf, he saw that we had, had -- what do you call it? -- ah! Potentia. Yes, potentia, some kind of, um, magic? Yes, some kind of magic thing in us...”

“I. See,” Thob said with an awkward smile, “But let us not tarry any longer. You must be on your way now if you intend to reach some semblance of shelter before nightfall. You are, of course, welcome back anytime you wish, fair badger man...” The dwarf paused for a moment, and continued, “...And fairy and rooster. It has been an honor being your host.”

And so Oko, Amana and Goden the rooster said their farewells (well, Goden really didn't, nor did Amana, since she forgot to) to the good lord Thob, made one final check that they had everything with them, and set off towards the village of the capybara folk.

And so the journey of Oko, Amana and Goden continued with them heading first northwest towards the hillocks of Tradeplay. It was already late when they set foot, and the sun was in the west heading swiftly towards the horizon. They could've waited until the next day before leaving, but Oko was determined to leave on this day.

So lord Thob had suggested Tradeplay to them as a place to spend the night, lest the bogeyman catch them (of course such beings did not exist in these lands, but Oko was not aware of it, and Thob had merely wanted the inexperienced travelers to be somewhere safe away from other dangers of the night).

It was already dark when they reached the outskirts of Tradeplay and it took some time for them to find the actual hillocks. Eventually they found a mound with some noise coming from inside. As the door was open, they entered and saw many a dwarf sleeping on the floor (to be frank, most of them were passed out -- this was a drinking hole). A rank smell wafted into the noses of the travelers. Amana winced, but Oko stepped forth to greet those who still were awake.

After some talking, permission was granted to stay for the night and the three curled up in a corner to sleep.

9th of Felsite, 374

This time the travelers did not linger, but set forth as soon as the sky in the east took a faint pink hue with sunrise approaching. They followed the banks of the river Touchy Guts north, walking through dense and long grass. The sky was clear, but the air was chilly and in shadier places one could see a coating of hoarfrost. Oko wrapped his robe and cloak tighter, slightly shivering as a cool breeze blew from the east.

It was a twisting river, shifting its direction all the time: just when it appeared to head straight to the north and the destination of Oko, it made a sharp turn to the west, slithering and winding like a snake in the grass. Amana had lost her sense of direction almost immediately when they left, but Oko managed to keep an estimation of where north was by the position of the sun, looking on what side the branches of trees were thickest and where moss grew on the their trunks.

It was a rather uneventful day walking in the wilds, but as the sun was high in the western sky and they emerged at the banks of river Swayedcrypt from the Forest of Constructing, they saw in the northwest what appeared to be several roofs above the tree tops.

At first they thought that it must be Waterlures, but then Oko remembered that lord Thob had mentioned of a mining outpost called Rivermine next to the flowing waters. So, Oko came to the conclusion that must be it, for Waterlures was next to a lake (as Iden had told him).

Oko walked through the foliage and bamboo thicket amidst tall highwood trees towards the buildings in front of him. There were several houses close to each other with a low palisade in the gaps. He saw a door in the palisade, where a hill rose to the east. There was nobody in sight, but the badger man swore he heard some noise from beyond the walls.

There was nobody in the opening between the buildings, but they heard something from house in the north. “I wonder what they'll think of us?” Amana thought out loud, and when noticing Oko turn to her, continued, “I mean, if they're dwarves, will they too be surprised to see 'a badger, fairy and rooster' together?”

“I have no idea,” Oko replied as they walked across the grass to the door.

Inside they saw a hall with tables and chairs, and a dwarf in the corner. Oko greeted the dwarf and introduced himself. The dwarf -- named Domas -- told that they'd best seek out Ral, the head of the mining outpost.

After a short search and running into several other dwarves and a jaguar man (Amana thought him a bit frightening), they were directed upstairs where they met Ral Curlrock. However, she was not really in the mood for a discussion, and after telling very little she rather impolitely (in Oko's mind) told them to leave her to her work and go bother someone else.

But nobody else either was interested in the likes of Oko and Amana, all sending them off to pester someone else.

Until they came upon a dwarf with a long beard as black as charcoal. He was a burly one and had a pick strapped to his back. The dwarf was rather excited to have visitors and invited them to his room.

“Aye, to Waterlures yer goin', eh?” He asked the two and introduced himself, “They call me Edëm, they do. And I've been to the place yer talking about. Nice place, cozy place. But come, come, let's get in me room. Close the door behind you, will you?”

So they entered Edëm's room, shutting the door behind them. The dwarf sat on his bed, motioning the chair to Oko, who went and sat there as Amana fluttered up to sit on the cabinet. Goden stayed at the door, looking at the lot curiously. Edëm began to talk to them, lowering his voice almost to a whisper.

“Waterlures, yes. Now, first let's get this straight. When we came here, to this place to strike the earth and find what riches the Gods of Rock had to offer, well, I thought of those rodents -- those capybara folk -- over at their village a suspicous lot. All manner of tales we had heard, aye. Dark tales. Unnatural rituals and sacrifices in the night. Blood spilled in the name of the Rabbit...”

Oko gasped at those words. There were worshipers of Ôsed in Treethimbles too, and he had not seen them commit such foul deeds. Perhaps they had been hiding it all the time? Perhaps the other badger folk were not safe there. He was shocked, but then Edëm continued.

“But I was wrong. Those tales were mere old cheesemakers' tales, I'm telling ya. Made up to scare the children. Keep 'em loyal to the King and the Prince. No, what I saw in that place when I visited not long ago was something different than I expected: a good, tight community of loving and caring ro-- individuals. Tulon (I went with her there) said it was just a ruse, a mere trick of evil rabbit-worshipers, but I gave it thought. Much thought.”

He pointed at his bald head, tapping it with his finger a couple of times.

“This small brain of mine. It may not be the smartest around, but I sure can sense it when something is amiss. And it was not amiss in Waterlures, no. Things are wrong here. There is no community, no friendship. That Ral, she's bossin' everyone around, all the time. Thinks she's something. Well, she's not. She's just a coward, a gutless groveling worm ready to lick those boots of the baron, do anything he wants. Pitiful.”

Oko did not understand what Edëm was talking about, but all of this sounded Very Important. So he listened intently. Amana, however, had stopped paying attention after the first few words, and was making faces at Goden, taunting the rooster.

“No respect for the Old Ways she has. No respect for me skill with the pickaxe. And I'm tellin' ya, there's something wrong with what we're doin' here. It has something to do with that Waterlures place, aye. I can feels it in me beard. A tingling. The gods be telling me that way.”

Edëm took a swig from his winesking, wiped his mouth and offered it to Oko and Amana. They passed. Oko still remained silent, focused on Edëm's words.

“Well, anyways... Now I be thinking, 'Hey, there's this curious lot heading to Waterlures, this badger, fairy and rooster. And they don't know the way, so maybe I show them.' You see where I'm goin', mister badger?”

“Um... N-nooo?” Oko said, raising his brow and then shaking his head.

“Ach, you're me way out of here, of course! I'll pack me bag and take you to the place. Leave this damn mess of an outpost behind!” The dwarf said, abruptly flailing his hand in a sweeping motion.

“...But we'll have to wait until it's dark.”

They talked and waited for many an hour until the sun set and they were sure all the others were at sleep or at least in their quarters. Silently they walked down the stairs, making sure not to step on the creaking boards (Edëm showed which ones to avoid), and stealthily the crept between the buildings to the bridge, crossing Swayedcrypt.

It would not be a long way to Waterlures from here.

Traveling in the dark would have been hard were it not for Edëm's ability to see in even the darkest of caves. They followed the river through the barren, rocky landscape of the Dune of Influencing until they came to the shores of the Lakes of Saturninity.

There they set camp, for Edëm said it would be suspicious of them to arrive at the dark of the night. It was better to continue at dawn.

So, food was had, tales were told and songs were sung before heads were laid to rest.

10th of Felsite, 374

Sure enough, as day broke and they set forth, the houses and towers of Waterlures could be seen across the lake.

Oko was excited, his heart pounding in his chest. All the stories he had heard. Soon they'd see if they were true or not.

The four walked down a slope towards the tall wooden walls ahead of them. A paved road of white quartz led through a gate, and a gatehouse rose high and mighty above it.

“Aye, that's the East Gate of Waterlures,” Edëm said to the badger man who he noticed looked at the sight with jaw agape. The dwarf took a deep breath of the air blowing from the lake and the village. It was otherwise refreshing, but carried with it the odor of fish -- both fresh and not-so-fresh. “It ain't like the good air of the grand halls of a dwarven settlement, but me beard'll be damned if it doesn't have a good feel to it. Even a dwarf like me could get used to it!”

“I-it, it is huge!” Oko managed to say, “Far bigger than I imagined!”

“Well, come on then, let's go in,” Edëm said and shoved the badger man forth.

They entered the building in front of them: a large circular house with a tower rising from its center and a wing extending south onto the lake.

Inside they came to a hall with an open space in the middle and tables and chairs arranged in clusters at the side. In the center they saw a percussion instrument -- Oko recognized it as the ngotol -- which consisted of bone bars attached to a wooden stand. The ceiling in the center rose high above and one could see railed platforms going around the walls. It was a grand sight.

A capybara woman, dressed in a toga and carrying many bone figures in her hand looked at the travelers.

“Hello travelers, I am Ònul Strickenrelics and it is a mighty fine day we have,” she spoke with a genuine smile on her face, “Welcome to the Enchanted Bridge, the grandest inn of Waterlures. We are unfortunately currently not open for outsiders, but I will not turn you away. Please, come, take a seat. You look weary and in need of a drink. What brings you to Waterlures?”

A view of Lonecanyons in the year 374

A view of Rivermine in the year 374

=====

Yeah, so that *should* be all the adventure mode side ventures for some time. I didn't do everything I wanted, but enough anyway.

So, next up is returning to fort mode and this time I'll try to get most of the missing folk back. We shouldn't have a problem with visitors listed as hostile since I made all zones citizens only before retiring. And there weren't any on the map when I retired, iirc. There still might be a odd few that pop up, but that's not a problem.

I'll probably have a couple days break before continuing.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2023, 03:08:41 am »

Good stuff, I like all the little sub plots going on in the various little settlements around.

Also I'm currently working on saving this thread, probably will be finished before I go to bed.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2023, 01:14:35 am »

Good stuff, I like all the little sub plots going on in the various little settlements around.

Thanks! I very much enjoy doing the subplots (though they're mostly improvised and not much thought put into them). It's sort of like playing against yourself or being the gamemaster and player at the same time. It also makes the world feel a bit more alive, since DF worlds tend to become quite stale/passive after a certain amount of time without the player stirring things up or making up their own plots.

(Maybe at some point I'll do another community game/story that mainly concentrates on player-made little settlements. Been toying around with the idea for some time, but we'll see. Won't be happening before summer, though.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2023, 03:54:54 am »

That sounds pretty cool, will it be fort or adventure mode, or both?

Also I downloaded the thread and made a zip file of it, I'll upload it when I finish off what I'm doing for the Hall of Legends.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2023, 04:17:54 am »

That sounds pretty cool, will it be fort or adventure mode, or both?

Probably both, but mainly adventurer. I might do it so that I found settlements with fort mode, then do the building in adventure mode with gui/advfort (I think the animal population bug happens with regular adventure fort building when it offloads the site, so this'd be a way to avert it) maybe for small to medium-sized settlements. Then unretire and use fort mode to assign rooms and such for denizens (with adventurer settlements you can assign only hearthpersons to have rooms). A bit hard to explain, but with the experience gained from Waterlures, I think that might work better.

Also thinking of how to get readers/others involved. Maybe some "choose your character" thing and what you'd like them to do or something? Sort of like a combination of adventure mode & a table-top rpg with me being the DM/storyteller. But yeah, still ideas. I'm doing a stripped down & customized version of my personal mod for this (there was waaaay too much stuff crammed in it and honestly the experience felt too different from regular DF), so it'll take time still as I'm doing it parallel to Waterlures stuff.

Anyways, I'd still mainly focus on Waterlures as long as possible, since I've become quite attached to this (it was supposed to be just a adventurer marriage/family test game -- turned quite differently in the end). I'll see if I get the unretire cleanup done today so that I can get to proper playing tomorrow.

Also I downloaded the thread and made a zip file of it, I'll upload it when I finish off what I'm doing for the Hall of Legends.

Thanks for that! I appreciate it, I really do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2023, 04:34:35 am »

(it was supposed to be just a adventurer marriage/family test game -- turned quite differently in the end).
All great things have small small beginnings.

Thanks for that! I appreciate it, I really do.
You're welcome, I'll keep it up to date until I upload it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2023, 12:10:53 pm »

Managed to do the Waterlures unretire cleanup today. I guess I'm getting used to it since it didn't feel as tedious anymore, even though the population is much bigger all the time. Speaking of which, I brought pretty much all the missing folk back and there were a handful of folk listed as hostile, so I unretire-anyone'd them. So, we've gone way past the threshold of 80 into the 90s. Which means that eventually sieges will begin to happen soon... Not so keen on that, to be honest (not to mention that the population triggers seem way too gamey for me).

There were a couple of weird things, but no impalings this time. Managed to make up a reason why they happened.

Anyway, a day or two and I'll have an update.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2023, 05:42:03 pm »

awesome. that last post was very well-written. Rin's resurrection scene had me smiling it was well done!

The contrast between these small settlements and the grandeur of Waterlures is fun. it's like, by seeing all these outward adventurers and their exploits, Waterlures itself grows, if only because of the context and perspective these adventurers provide.

So, we've gone way past the threshold of 80 into the 90s. Which means that eventually sieges will begin to happen soon... Not so keen on that, to be honest (not to mention that the population triggers seem way too gamey for me).

I agree, always felt this way. the wealth triggers are not much better. I want armies to invade for personal reasons, or because they simply felt like it, or were blackmailed. ah but i want so much from this game lol

so maybe 10 or so citizens should be sent to found some kind of herbalist's college or hunter's camp or whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 05:44:05 pm by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 02, 2023, 02:33:11 am »

Oh man, not gonna be fun when the sieges start happenings.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 02, 2023, 03:04:42 am »

awesome. that last post was very well-written. Rin's resurrection scene had me smiling it was well done!

Thanks! I've been waiting for a chance to resurrect the Assistant Sheriff, and finally got one, hah. We'll see where it goes from here with him and Cañar (suggestions & speculation welcome). I actually wanted Cañar to become a lieutenant of that necromancer (pretty sure he was Kadol under a false name), but either it wasn't possible or I just didn't figure out how to do it (I have quite limited adventure mode experience), so I just offered homage.

I agree, always felt this way. the wealth triggers are not much better. I want armies to invade for personal reasons, or because they simply felt like it, or were blackmailed. ah but i want so much from this game lol

Yeah, with megabeasts (note: oh god, I just realised that Waterlures is doomed if a bronze colossus arrives) they make a bit more sense, but not with invading armies. Towers do it somewhat properly at the moment (speaking of 0.47.05 here), and if you raid a settlement.

I hope it goes eventually more into a world simulation direction, but from what I've gathered from the Steam release it's taken a step towards a more gamey direction. So, hopes are not super high atm. (My personal take is that DF should decide whether it's a game or a simulation and not try to balance between the two, since I don't see that working so well. But perhaps that's just me.)

so maybe 10 or so citizens should be sent to found some kind of herbalist's college or hunter's camp or whatnot.

Doable and a worthy idea. I think I mentioned earlier that I'm planning to do several smaller settlements around Waterlures, so that's a good option for one. Thought originally to do them when the fort turns 50 years, but that'll probably happen already during the next update, so maybe 5 or so more ingame years until that?

Perhaps I'll test how it works that I found some of the places as forts, retire them and then do the building with gui/advfort. One thing I've also been thinking of is that since advfort changes persist only in player camps & forts, it'd be possible to build "roads" between places by just placing unnamed player camps next to each other and build a road there (of course you couldn't fast travel through them, but eh, Minbazkar isn't such a large place and I wouldn't be building roads across the entire continent anyway). Thoughts on that? And if yay, what places might we "connect"?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 03, 2023, 12:32:25 am »

Part VI:
Preparations

10th of Felsite, year 374
The Town of Waterlures

It was too much. Too much to bear for one only twenty years old. Geshud Cruxfloors, the son of Såkzul Agebronze and Zuglar Hoursilver, could not take it anymore. Becoming a bookkeeper was something he never wanted, but his sister Likot insisted on when she was mayor. He was only fourteen -- fourteen! -- when he was pitted with the task of keeping the records of the growing village in order. He was never cut for it. But he hadn't complained, hadn't said that this is enough.

His life as an adult had been miserable. No time for crafts, no time for sparring, no time for prayer, and even when he felt like he should scream and yell and punch someone, there was no time for it!

What really made him snap, let melancholy take over and loose the will to live, was the Incident. It was just a spring evening like the rest: the crisp and cooling air raising a mist from the lakes after a rather sunny day, lanterns being lit on the wooden walkways zig-zagging to and fro across water and gap between house. Everyone was hurrying to finish the day's work, cramming salted fish into the barrels lining the outer walls of many a house.

Geshud was walking one such walkway, from the Sanctuary of Crystals (a shrine dedicated to the Turquoise), checking the contents of the barrels next to it. He heard splashing from the lake at first, then the sound of dripping water and soon a wet thud followed by a horrible, high-pitched scream: another lumbering troll had come!

Were it not for Kib Spearmobbed, the elderly mother and grandmother of many a pup, who happened to be taking a pick to the storerooms, Geshud would have died then and there. He didn't recall what happened, but in mere seconds the monster lay dead with Kib raging over it bloody pick in paws. Then Geshud noticed it: the troll blood had splattered all over him and dripped down his face.

He was shocked. He was mortified (more so than on the day his clothes rotted not so long ago -- he had no time to get new ones!).

And that was it. The few days since that he hadn't been able to work. Just stare at the pile of papers, hands all shaking, too many thoughts racing through his poor head.

Now. Now he realised there was no point in all of this. He gave up. He would soon wither away, be put into a grave and turn into dust.

If the Rabbit existed -- he sure believed so, but doubt had entered his heart -- it was unlikely She would raise him to join his parents who were with Her.

His soul would be certainly snatched by the Prince and tormented. He was certain of it. It was inevitable.

4th of Hematite, 374

A light rain fell from the sky as Oko sat fishing at the edge of the fishing pier (why, what else would one do in such a place?). He pulled Ethírzolak, his hood, further over his head so that only the tip of his badger snout could be seen. Summer had just arrived and Oko was still trying to comprehend the enormous size of Waterlures (we must remember, he had never seen a place with more than a dozen or so folk) -- oh, all the names he had to remember now! -- and why it rained so much here.

When he had caught enough fish -- rainbow trout, yellow bullhead and perch along with salamander -- he headed to take them to the stores. On the way he thought, 'Iden will be glad to know that the Book of Merriment he wrote is now in the House of Knowledge. A great treasury he said. But where is the treasure? I didn't see any. Are they hiding it somewhere?'

He was certain: the capybaras must be hiding their wealth somewhere. It would wise of them -- after all Oko had heard tales of nasty people with bad intentions. Good to keep treasures safe from such types. Perhaps they hid it below the library?

Some day he would find out.

25th of Hematite, 374
From the Journal of Likot Languagehame, ex-mayor

“I can't believe brother is dead. I knew it was coming, the healers and doctors had said it. Olon said she had no clue what to do, but thought that maybe the cause might be those evil spirits Yawo spoke of. It was all she could think of. But that dwarf, Tekkud Bannerguise, he said that as a doctor he knew. I shudder to even think of such vicious things he said about brother. He said it was 'a sickness of the mind'. Sickness! Of the mind! Can you believe it? My brother was not crazy! He was a good, hard-working capybara. The hardest working I've known! He wasn't a lunatic!”

“Oh, how I miss him. With his last strength, before wasting away, he had walked to the shrine. Next to the statue of the Rabbit. I think he knew. He knew his time had come. So he prayed to Ôsed. To be united with mother and father among the stars of the night sky. Shining their everlight on us who still are here.”

“Oh, dear little brother, how I miss you!”

11th of Galena, 374

Young Etur Laborworth watched intently as Vabôk, Asmel and Song sparred following Eman's instructions. He was satisfied as he felt that his skill in learning from merely observing a battle was improving. And his own skills had grown during his time out in the larger world.

It had been his idea to go after the gorlak prophet and the elders who had left. Seeing those who had been around him since child leave, was something disheartening. It made him sad and angry. So, more of impulse than of careful deliberation, he had gathered a small group of other 'young ones' and went after the old ones.

And find them they did, and come back they did.

However, now the sparring floor of the barracks was getting awfully small with everyone new and old crammed there together.

He would have to suggest the higher-ups that more training space was needed now that the ranks of the militia had swelled.

14th of Limestone, 374

Fecici Lizardorgans, the elf mayor of Waterlures, stood in his office eyeing the large gems set on display as he was pondering. He had just met with Tirist, the dwarven outpost liaison. The meeting went well, and like his predecessors Fecici had asked for various types of stone from the quarries of the Mountainhomes -- this time specifically stone needed for steel production. For Waterlures needed steel if they were to set up proper defenses against the wicked, heartless world out of the confines of these safe walls. And proper defenses needed steel. That much he agreed with the dwarves who tried to explain such matters to the simple and oh so naïve capybara folk.

And steel needed iron, flux and coal.

Iron they had. Coal they had -- if they burned trees into charcoal. While he frowned upon the destruction of nature and the wild birthed by Ithithe the Gorge of Apes, unlike his kin from the Old Elf Lands, he knew it was a necessity in this case. But flux. Flux was something they didn't have. It had to be ordered from afar, and that was not good. Reliance on the untrustworthy dwarves loyal to the so-called king had to end.

So Fecici had approved the plan the dwarves of Waterlures had come up with: dig down, mine into the deep of the rock to find what they needed.

1st of Sandstone, 374

Little Mistêm Strappedoil, only two years old, was standing in the doorway of her parents' bedroom simulating the emen in the tune of the Creative Blazes. Her little brother Feb was playing on the floor, listening intently and enjoying her sister's musicianship. Mistêm was delighted when she realised that her skill was improving (or so she thought). Maybe one day she, too, could be a bard like mom.

Thinking of mom, Mistêm wondered if mother had finally found time to go sparring. The lack of it was something she had complained about. 'There's nothing like a good brawl,' little Mistêm thought to herself -- though she was a bit unsure what such a thing was.

4th of Sandstone, 374

Mining to reach flux stone had begun several weeks prior to the discovery Oddom Rackknight made. A shaft was carved down from under the Dwarf Quarter (for Waterlures now had such a place dug under the old baronial quarters), penetrating through touch gabbro down, down, down.

Until there was a crack and the stone Oddom struck fell down. He almost fell down, too, into the hollow that opened below.

He had breached the caverns.

23rd of Moonstone, 374

Once again the House of Knowledge was a place where more than books were born: Olon Seerlances gave birth to a boy, her third one. Edëm Weakenoars was to be his name and he was born when a snow storm raged outside.

There would certainly be reason for Olon and her husband Atír to celebrate during the Winter Festivals, which were just around the corner.

And only a few days later Ònul Strickenrelics gave birth to a boy, too. He was her and Deler's fifth child.

6th of Opal, 374

Indeed, the Fruit of Letters was quite crowded this year during the festivities. The air was hot and moist, the smell of wet fur and sweat was mixed with those of cooked greasy meals and spilled wine, and with all due respect, one could hardly move without hitting someone in the eye or nose with an elbow or get squashed between corpulent capybara bodies -- it was far from a pleasant experience.

But the capybara folk of Waterlures did not seem to mind. They, in fact, enjoyed it very much. It was more the people of the “civilized” races -- dwarves, humans, elves (though, dwarves very much doubted whether elves should be counted) -- who found it uncomfortable.

'Next year, if I am still mayor -- and why would I not be? -- these Winter Festivals will be held at the Enchanted Bridge,' Fecici thought to himself, 'There is much more space there, and it's a shorter way home from there. I am certain it will be no problem. People listen to what I have to say, as they should.'

But all did not join the Winter Festivals.

The Orbs of Focus, led by the fox woman Ana Talonspread, were training. Training to be ready to defend Waterlures if need be. They had been recruited by the faun militia warden Kumil for this purpose from the Old Elf Lands, and if it was up to Ana, she would see that that was what her group of five did. She might not have been the most honest of folk (some might say it is in the nature of the fox folk), but she had decided that she wanted to help the capybara folk and when she set her mind to something, one was not likely to change it.

9th of Obsidian, 374

It had been decided that it was for the best to wall off the breach to the caverns. The capybara folk were very worried of what might lurk in the dark, for they had heard many a dwarven tale of horrid, twisted beasts coming in unimaginable and terrible forms.

It was terrifying.

But there was still no flux that was needed.

So the shaft was to be dug even deeper down.

And -- lo and behold! -- another cavern lay not far below and it, too, was breached.

But this time, this time the capybara folk struck what they had been searching for: marble.

=====

So, we finally breached the caverns. Just at the cusp of fifty years of Waterlures (only a few ingame weeks left).

Nothing much really happened. Building, cleaning stockpiles, digging.

A pity we lost Geshud due to him going insane immediately upon unpausing. Haven't had that happen in a while. He shouldn't have flipped out (he wasn't at all stressed earlier), but well, there's issues with unretiring and I think I managed to write it well enough into the story.

I'm probably not going to completely seal the second cavern since there's the stuff our capies need. Maybe I'll just build a palisade that won't stop all creatures from the dark? But we're hardly prepared for a FB attack, so we'll see what I end up doing.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 03, 2023, 04:16:01 am »

Wasn't expecting someone to get depressed and die that's always depressing when it happens, and I wasn't expecting the caverns to be opened.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 03, 2023, 04:47:53 am »

Wasn't expecting someone to get depressed and die that's always depressing when it happens

Yeah, I think it was an unretirement bug. I've had it happen several times before (with adventurers I brought to a fort). First no stress, but then suddenly when you unretire the place their stress is maxed out and they flip when you unpause (you can DFHack the stress away before unpausing, which solves the issue).

But I think it worked out quite okay within the narrative in the end, perhaps?

I wasn't expecting to hit the caverns so quick. Thought that there'd be marble before them, but guess this part of the world has the caves quite close to the surface.

Oh, btw FPS is starting to get lower, but that's probably more due to the number of folks now than anything else. It's still decent (in the 30s or 20s), but if I'll open up again for visitors and/or the enemy arrives, I'd assume it'll plummet from there.

Hopefully I'll soon get a (slightly) better laptop, but I'll still keep going even if FPS drops to the tens. Single digits is where I usually stop.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 03, 2023, 09:39:12 pm »

yeah single digits is pain. everyone has a limit to patience with the simulation. I'm always impressed by people who (had? these honestly feels like an oldschool thing now that DF is "premium") work with 1-3 fps fortresses for many years, continuing the epic tale despite the IRL difficulty.

there is something to be said about the "proof of work" associated with DF creations. SOMEONE had to designate those walls for building. SOMEONE had to dig those channels, babysit those moody dwarves.

But we're hardly prepared for a FB attack, so we'll see what I end up doing.

look. web FBs exist. thus, we seal the caverns. don't contradict the old traditions, or else

again, I got Redwall series vibes with this update. Large cast of characters + fantasy setting + a "home base" that acts as a character unto itself. I think you've written enough to fill a short novel at this point!!!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 04, 2023, 01:31:27 am »

yeah single digits is pain. everyone has a limit to patience with the simulation. I'm always impressed by people who (had? these honestly feels like an oldschool thing now that DF is "premium") work with 1-3 fps fortresses for many years, continuing the epic tale despite the IRL difficulty.

Fortunately it's still quite aways for Waterlures' FPS to drop so low. And if it gets too tedious, we still have the whole world to work around with, so the tale would continue even in case of FPS death. At least for as long as me (or someone else) has interest in the world. :)

But we're hardly prepared for a FB attack, so we'll see what I end up doing.

look. web FBs exist. thus, we seal the caverns. don't contradict the old traditions, or else

We'll end up sealing the caverns, don't worry. At least mostly. (It's actually something that's currently happening as I work on the next update.)

again, I got Redwall series vibes with this update. Large cast of characters + fantasy setting + a "home base" that acts as a character unto itself. I think you've written enough to fill a short novel at this point!!!

Haha, yeah, there's quite some text already and the updates tend to get longer all the time (so many characters and so many scenes -- not enough time to write them all!). I've read it a few times through it from the start (after breaks in playing and needing to remember stuff), and at some point there's a change in how updates are written. In the start it's more traditional succession game, but then goes into a more narrative direction (though, the prose is passable at best).

We'll see how long this goes on, but it's quite certain that there won't be an actual End to it, since this is DF after all.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 48