Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe  (Read 13757 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2022, 04:35:14 am »

So, for the entire game I did not generate a single 'plea of friendship' stratagem (hence couldn't bump up the relations with those minors I tried to unify). Something I always have in relative abundance when playing SP. Do you happen to know what are the requirements?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Empire - Galactic Republic vs League of Hoboken - AARs and shit, maybe
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2022, 07:33:34 am »

That's a faction stratagem, so you need happy factions, plus the Accomplished Envoys feat to unlock that particular card. Look on page 246 of the manual for the rest of those.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2022, 08:02:34 am »

Yeah, but I had meritocracy focus from the start, gaining those feats, and my factions were happy. The main one had +++ meritocracy focus. Not a single plea of friendship over the entire game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2022, 10:13:01 am »

RNG hates you then. That's all I can figure.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2022, 10:48:51 am »

Maybe. Wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, I suspect we'll both need some time to rest after this round. But do let me know if you're ever in the mood for starting another. Maybe with more players.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2022, 04:21:26 pm »

Honestly, I enjoyed it and would be ready and willing to start up another round any time.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2022, 04:26:52 pm »

I'll need at least another week or two. :)

How's your attitude towards more players?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2022, 04:42:43 pm »

It'd make things more interesting. I'm not sure about how planet size would work best with it - this planet was a decent size but with more players I'd want more minors too - it was kinda barren for expansion if we were gonna hit a major sooner than we did, certainly on my side. Less water might be safer, too - the lake right by my capital hurt me a lot more than your lake did. In that respect, I'm kinda eager to see what Vic does with naval factions/forces.

OTOH, more minors make logistics less important and speed up tech development a lot. I'm really not sure what a happy medium is.

I might screw around with some different planet types. In principle, the oasis-type planet seems like it's made with MP in mind, but I've never done much with it. It would be nice if we could recycle planet seeds - I really think the god-awful SP planet I sent you would be a sort that'd work well for MP even if I spent the first 40 turns doing nothing but fighting off dragons, basilisks, and other kaiju-scale abominations. That's like an accidental version of an oasis planet where you've got valleys with 1-2 cities and mountain ranges between them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2022, 05:27:16 pm »

It would be nice if we could recycle planet seeds
Tell me about it. I rolled a really fun planet, with lots of SP role-playing potential. But forgot to check the airforce box and now I'm too miffed about it to keep playing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2022, 05:45:35 pm »

Small Planet Type Small Moon No Minors MP Deathmatch!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2022, 05:49:56 pm »

Lol. I actually wonder how it'd play out if there were, say, 10 players and no other cities on the map.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2022, 06:12:51 pm »

I play this game (poorly) and would be down to roleplay a blundering major with yall. .

I vote kaiju planet because then I have something to fight before inevitable annihilation via bombardment and light armor

though, I must ask what the flow of play by email is for a game like this? were you trading saves multiple times a day?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2022, 06:16:28 pm »

I'd play though it's kind of a lot with Dominions ongoing. Maybe if there was a weekend focus to get turns done and a more relaxed pace otherwise.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2022, 07:00:21 pm »

I'd play though it's kind of a lot with Dominions ongoing. Maybe if there was a weekend focus to get turns done and a more relaxed pace otherwise.
+1

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2022, 07:28:08 pm »

Yeah, so from my side of things, if we were to start sometime this side of November, the pace would likely have to be extra leisurely.

though, I must ask what the flow of play by email is for a game like this? were you trading saves multiple times a day?
There's been some talk about this on the previous page. But tl;dr yes. A few per day, initially. But it's easy to keep up such pace with two players only, especially where there's some overlap in gaming-permitting waking hours despite different time zones. With 4+ players I would go in expecting one per day or less.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11