Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!  (Read 14341 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2023, 09:24:21 pm »

Skip me im being too slow, getting this come up.

Ran in ASCCI mode. Same thing

I got a theory, I'll let you guys know what's up when I pick this up and get to it tomorrow.

EDIT: Right, so I got an error too. I tried installing the mod beforehand and that didn't work (I just got an error for pumpkin rather than an extract template.) Seems we'll have to troubleshoot this before we can proceed since both I and Avolition both ran into practically the same problem.

Worst case scenario we might have to pass the install around which is fine, if very mildly annoying.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2023, 12:26:03 am »

yeah, i tried running in 50.09.. no dice. I dunno. we may need a mod list to check against, to move forward. or try exporting save again perhaps.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2023, 12:28:29 am »

Christ. Alright, I'll get on this tonight. I expected no issue because I've moved modded saves between computers before, but it was only the book files that were modded.

Pretty sure I know what the issue is and can fix it. We will need to download a modpack to play, though. Alas! Finally some true horror!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 01:07:10 am by delphonso »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2023, 05:12:29 am »

The true horror
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2023, 05:43:59 am »

Sounds like the old system was easier for community forts with their own modpacks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2023, 06:36:41 am »

Spookyfort IV rises from a shallow grave!

Overlook Save Here!

Introducing... The Pumpkin Patch!

Patch download here!

My mom always said, "you only need to be as smart as your mistakes are dumb."
Spoiler: My Mom (click to show/hide)

Here's the skinny: I edited 4 things alongside ZM5's mod.

I changed the book titles files to a bunch of movie references.
I added pumpkins to the game.
I added the word "look" to the language file and
    added it to the dwarven language.

The book titles file is not checked for integrity before the game launches, so that doesn't need to be edited or replaced.

The game is going to run from the "data" file, including the installed mod file and the vanilla file. If you haven't run the game yet, it will check the mod folder for the correct mod, then move it to the installed mod file under data.
So, 3 things need to be fixed. I moved the pumpkin to ZM5's plants, so when you install the ZM5 mod from the file above, you're covered.

Language files MUST be overwritten, I couldn't find a way around this. For convenience, the zip above is structured correctly, so it should just overwrite everything for you without doing any hunting (tested on my own clean install).

Spoiler: Instructions, repeated (click to show/hide)

This is the Pumpkin Depatcher - to remove the changes to the vanilla files. I recommend you revert the vanilla files as soon as you finish a turn with Spookyfort to avoid issues with other fortresses.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:58:19 am by delphonso »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2023, 04:34:52 pm »

Patch success!

I can proceed or Avolition can try to have his go proper. Up to you guys.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2023, 06:16:45 pm »

Sounds like Av is a bit busy. Go for it, Splint!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2023, 09:27:14 pm »

Sounds like Av is a bit busy. Go for it, Splint!

Alrighty sir, I'll get on it first thing tomorrow. No clue what I'm gonna do yet, but we'll burn that bridge after we cross it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2023, 01:30:06 am »

Glad we're back up and running! I'll readjust the turn order. AvolitionBrit, I can chuck you on the end of the list if you're interested. Hopefully we get some fast turns so everyone can play.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2023, 02:57:52 am »

Yup, decided to get some work in before bed on the fort. I got a drawing I want to do before update 1 though, to add to the experience a little.

Hopefully you guys will enjoy it later tonight (as it's 4 AM my time at time of writing.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2023, 11:36:42 am »

looking forward! glad we sorted out the modifications

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2023, 03:38:53 pm »

"Here's the files to get you up to speed," A lady dwarf clad in copper armor said as she tossed a tied-shut folder onto another dwarf's prone form.

At least she'd been polite enough to undo his irons before heaving him out by his belt.

He'd been chucked out of a prison wagon, depositing a fresh batch of debtors and other petty criminals to a penal colony simply dubbed "The Overlook." The dwarf rolled over, dirtying the gray layered parchment, but wearily sat up, retreived it, and wiped the smudged durt off the large logo on the front. On his shirt was a name tag that read 'Splint' and he'd been denied his old war gear from Battlejudge.

It was an image of a dwarven ghost, though clearly a fake one, with "DFM" written over the apparent sheet, surrounded by a thick-line border. Beneath it being three words that had come to be synonymous with business disasters every ten to fifteen years.

'Delphonso Frights and Magic'

"Gods above... Not them..."

He remembered well the stories his older cousins, also named Splint, had told him in letters and tavern visits back home. From long-term tourism to business villas, DFM seemed like it was poised to try all manner of things in order to keep in the crown's good graces. Another prisoner introduced himself as Brit, apparently in for "Avolition" in the craftsdwarf guild, while his spouse had been sentenced alongside him for causing a flood that had killed a dozen cats. He excused himself, explaining he'd been promised a light sentence if he served in the militia and went to report to whoever was in charge of that.

Splint opened the file as he walked, looking over the stated purpose of this colony.

"'Scared Straight' program, huh? Well, sure isn't anything scarier than working for DFM... No wonder the sentence was so light."

That was when he passed a bizarre looking humanoid who introduced herself as Irisp. Without moving her lips.

He said nothing, merely turning away from her to ignore the strange encounter and asked for the person ostensibly in charge from a dwarf in a surgeon's apron. He was subsequently directed to the Expedition Leader Delmont Wheelgears.

"'Scuse me, Mr. Wheelgears? I'm Splint, just arrived in for orientation. The prison wagoner said I'm supposed to take over as Overseer for the year as part of my-"

Delmont threw a plate at him that was covered in slugs before storming out of his office. He complained that he was sick of being accosted by slugs and he was going to skin the pest control guy alive when he visited in autumn.

Splint couldn't help but notice Del had no pants. Or most of his outfit for that matter, but mostly his lack of pants.

Taking the absence as an invitation, Splint sifted through his desk for the Overseer's Badge and inspected the roster of penitents. He found an unusual number of medical professionals among them, who Delmont had noted apparently answered to a dwarf name Zultan Authoredmansions. They all had a laundry list of medical malpractice, which didn't make Splint feel all warm and fuzzy.

(out of this list Mosus is the MCOM and Delmont is basically a paper pusher, the rest are doctors)

Others he'd encountered when he'd arrived was someone named Bob Nourishedblockade, who went by the title "The Brewer." An inspection of his file indicated attempting to brew wood, which killed three tavern patrons in the capitol. His utter inability at brewing is probably what led to this incident.

There was also Salmeuk Windrites, convicted of misuse of his duty weapon to attempt to cut sandstone, which had resulted in destruction of a government-issue battle axe. Splint found it strange he wasn't part of the prisoner's work-release security team since he had passed basic training according to his file. Splint made a note to replace one of the doctors in the squad with him and a post-it note to just use whatever axe and shield happen to be laying around.

After that, he introduced himself to everyone as the overseer for the year, which garnered a collective shrug of indifference and made his first addition to the fort: A festive devil bursting out of fire on sublevel 2! Since he was ordered to "keep with the spirit of things." He had to convince the dig team it wasn't an elf with horns and probably did a poor job of it, but at least it'd look nice on a floor plan!

Bribing them with promises of actual quarters besides the ghost room probably helped.

He also placed a blanket order for whatever magnetite and lignite could be dug up short term on sublevel 5, so the security team would at least have some weapons available. It might be a work-release gig for those guys, but they weren't going to be much good keeping the other inmates spooked (but still breathing) with no weapons to rescue them from what was claimed to be guys in suits. Splint didn't put much stock in that since several people had been treated for serious injuries and at least one was missing 90% of his wardrobe due to said alleged suit-wearer antics.

Besides, they'd need the bars to help give The Overlook an authentic prison experience when the quarters were ready to be furnished.

I took some liberties with what some folks were in for and dwarfed who I could remember. I figured it'd be fun to come up with some bullshit and scatterbrained reasons for people to be sent to a scared straight prison with a Halloween theme (such as attempting to brew wood or cut rocks with a battle axe.)

I'm actually quite surprised by just how good a spot this is, seeing as it's lousy with iron ore, flux and lignite.

I figure my time's going to mainly be spent getting this bitch put together so we don't have a stress disaster before things have a chance to get going, though the fact people have pants missing due to monkey attacks might make things difficult (Delmont having no pants made me laugh much more than it should have though.)

EDIT: Whoever answers first gets to decide, but I got a Gray that wants to move in as an entertainer. Should we take this funky telepathic being in?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2023, 06:24:02 pm »

No gloves, no shoes, no service. That's how things work in The Overlook. I too would hate to be accosted by snails if I was just down to hands and feet covered.

Great update! I love the DFM book! The embark was quite a lucky one. I merely chose an area that might have pumpkins and was surprised to see everything needed for steel. Will this be the first spookyfort not to die to hell?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2023, 07:34:52 pm »

Construction began in early-mid Granite, with quarters marked out in short order. It didn't matter much to SPlint what got done first so long as it was done.

He also placed orders for festive decor, as per his sentencing, with Salmeuk, seeing as he was sort of the de facto head of the prison stoneworkers due to his status on the work-release security team making him a company employee rather than a mere prisoner.

Images of jack-o-lanterns screaming and laughingm, to be carved from fine limestone.

Not long after work began, another strange almond-eyed creature apparently met with Delmont, seeking permission to reside in The Overlook as part of the staff. Of course not long later, an even scarier notice had come: Bob had apparently been allowed to use the still unsupervised, and had run out of fermentables.

Splint made a point to go down to the still and slap a sticky note on it forbidding the use of wood in the still and all future stills. Delmont had approved the creature's petition while he was out of the office to putt hat note on the still.

Come mid-Slate, it had become very apparent that despite the discoveries of rock crystal, malachite, cassiterite and hematite on location and abundant valuable stone, nobody had seen fit to truck in more labor.

Not that it mattered, as Solon and her back-alley quack of a husband brought a new little dwarf into the world! In front of everyone in the pumpkin tavern. The Grays seemed downright confused by this, explaining that they normally used extracted gametes placed in development pods. Nobody knew what that meant besides Zultan, who seemed to at least know what "gametes" meant.

Apparently wanting to protect the "strange new beard creature," Irisp decided to stay, which Delmont approved. After which another strange being arrived, which the Grays called a "Predator."

Splint simply ignored it, ordering for deposits of native platinum to be exploited while souvenir limestone mugs were ordered in large numbers. After consulting Delmont on the matter, it was agreed a combination of commemorative coins and mugs would make ideal means of making the prison profitable. By late spring, the inmates had gotten a smelter up and running in a temporary location, the magnetite mine on sublevel 5.

It would be two weeks into Hematite before any rooms neared readiness, but mugs and platinum were now being produced, which was what mattered to Splint, even as people complained about dwindling supplies and Delmont flashing them every day. He went so far as to tell Johnny and Brit they;'d be splitting the workload of making the coins and any other commercial metalwork. Solon meanwhile would handle military metalworks, since she had a fondness for gauntlets that was assumed might lead to higher quality output.

The month ended with coins piled up and waiting for lucky new owners, while Solon prepared the forge to make an iron axe and shield for Salmeuk. It wouldn't be long though before Splint would reopen the caverns, seeking to put the newly hired band of monster slayers to the test (and, if possible, perhaps spook a few of the other locals too.)

Oh who was he kidding. It was so they could try to harvest silk to address Delmont's pants situation.

And we're well along into summer! It's first of Malachite and we now have a bunch of new monster slayers (some argenta and grays,) a new bard, a new dwarf and things to sell! Nice, lightweight things to sell.

There's a slight issue of supplies, but I'm sending whoever out to gather plants and I intend to crack the caverns after I get enough weapons to go around for the militia. Delmont desperately needs pants. I'm also going to have to fight with a probably aquifer dampening the layer I was putting the bedrooms in, which is gonna be fun.

And I've got some nice festive statue images prepped for whoever needs them! There's going to be a bunch of screaming and laughing jack-o-lanterns around now.

Time seems to move slightly faster in this version for whatever reason, so I dunno if I'll have the time to get everything done I wanna get done in a year, but I can try.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14