Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!  (Read 14349 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Spookyfort IV: The Overlook - Overspookers welcome!
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2023, 03:25:23 pm »

Thanks! Now the zip looks more like it.

I'll see tomorrow if things pan out with me and Steam.

(I was for a moment confused that has something really weird happened with DF Steam saves because I couldn't see a save folder in the zip. Then I realized it's just not there. Took me perhaps a bit too long to come to that conclusion, lol.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2023, 05:43:59 pm »

awesome. I can take a turn... in a few days. perhaps Friday.

oooh, a contest?? i really like the first one so I love that you entered it.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2023, 04:58:43 am »

Soo...

*opens new DF, tries to find anything*
*time passes*
*grumble, grumble*
*more time passes*
*haven't figured anything*
*quits new DF*
*old man yells at clouds*

This Steam interface requires waaaay more time to get anything simple done than I'm willing to spend time on currently.

Skip my turn. Sorry 'bout this.

Here's again the link to Splint's save.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2023, 05:43:07 am »

Right on. Sal, I can likely play tomorrow, so if you pick it up first, give me a shout. Otherwise I'll take it and likewise post.

Moving apartments, so my computer has been in limbo. Reclaiming it tonight.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2023, 03:07:26 pm »

Soo...

*opens new DF, tries to find anything*
*time passes*
*grumble, grumble*
*more time passes*
*haven't figured anything*
*quits new DF*
*old man yells at clouds*

This Steam interface requires waaaay more time to get anything simple done than I'm willing to spend time on currently.

Skip my turn. Sorry 'bout this.

Here's again the link to Splint's save.

Just different enough to not be able to fumble around eh? I feel you. Took be a bit to remember how to do shit I learned back during release and I still haven't figured out the keyboard cursor (mainly so I can use digv) even though I know I figured it out before.

There's enough cool stuff in there for the game overall to consider it genuinely improved, the UI's just a side-grade that need to be worked around. We're just in a position of the truly old guard of not having any proper documentation going in in the days of yore pre-2010.

My positioned softened some thanks to this fort if it isn't obvious, lol.

Right on. Sal, I can likely play tomorrow, so if you pick it up first, give me a shout. Otherwise I'll take it and likewise post.

Also if we need another backfill I can also step up for another go around after you guys.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2023, 10:35:38 pm »

Happy Friday the 13th! Keep your machetes sharp!

I'll pick up a turn tonight!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 16, 2023, 01:01:44 am »

Persistence

From the incredibly secret journal of delphonso Cold Weakghost.

These damn costumes are so itchy. How are any of these actors keeping this shit on?

Makes you wonder if they're really actors, afterall. Can't ask that question, though - no, not these days. Union issues, you know. Better contracts, all that. Anyway, this have been...suspicious out here at the Overlook, so I decided to send my best man on the case.

Of course, Atmel was murdered along the way by a predator. We found him with neither skull nor spine. But don't worry, we don't need to pay anything out for that - act of God/Higher Intelligences does include aliens. Yes, even if they do it in person. No worries there.

With no one left to trust, I had to go in myself...

Also I wanted to make sure my room looked nice.

These morons haven't suspected a thing - and honestly, that's part of the problem. This was supposed to be a prison, and there's more legally employed people here than slav-ahem-prisoners.

Where are they even gaining funding? We send them next to nothing...What's all this in the trade depot?

Spoiler: Warning! Novelty! (click to show/hide)

By Kash...I'm ruined.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I've been here close to a week and there's something...going on. I'm mostly just staying in the tavern - occasionally stepping down to the dining halls or the...artifact prison. This place is disgusting...it's downright...multicultural.

But I've seen it. These dwarves are militarizing. These Argentinians are really getting under their skin.

I slipped down a few levels and saw what clearly looks like...ugh...progress.

They're working on steel. I'm sure of it. Can smell it on their beards.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Apparently, in my absence, Horror Resources are still at it.

Spoiler: Malefactor (click to show/hide)

This wasn't a lot to deal with, especially with all the personal security the prisoners have hired. But that didn't slow down HR one bit...

Spoiler: Slimer! (click to show/hide)

The dwarves rushed to slam the gate shut, but I pointed out that Bembul was still out there.

Delmont said he'd rather face hell itself than leave a dwarf behind.

Then we all just agreed to not talk about Bembul again.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Something got in! And I'm still trying to get out! An absolute brawl occured in the hallway outside the tavern. I pretended to be playing music too loudly to notice. Hope everyone's okay...

There's been a lot of doctors sent to prison lately. Not my job to ask questions about that, but...well, I'm sure the doctors are on it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The prisoners are building something suspicious down there... A drunken Bob explained the whole scheme to me.

He said it was a 'chthulu', but honestly I haven't seen one of those in decades.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nevermind, it was just a garbage disposal facility.

I snuck down and saw it. The kids in this place are fucked up.

I don't know why. I was born in a jail too and I turned out fine.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Crisis averted, for now. It seems these dwarves are slow as slugmen when it comes to steel production.

Nothing left to do but pull up a book and wait this whole siege out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
OOC:

So, I intended to build a few squads and arm them, and instead have just made a ton of steel. I built one squad-set of iron armor (boots, gauntlets, helm, greaves, breastplate, mailshirt, shield and axes), but didn't equip a group or anything. We have enough steel for an additional set (hopefully of good quality after the smiths finished the iron stuff.

There are roughly 60 residents in the fort and probably half of that is argenta, grays and babies. The siege is only a few dudes, but didn't want to risk the trauma of bum-rushing them with unarmed peasants.

Save is here!

Salmeuk, it's on to you, if you're up for it! Splint, I'll put you back on the rotation. I've been a bit too busy to update the main page, but will try to tonight after all my other stuff.

I might actually print this one:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:33:46 am by delphonso »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2023, 01:51:05 am »

Bembul nooooooo!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2023, 08:40:22 am »

I was on the Dwarf Fortress Roundtable podcast talking about Spookyfort and the great trove of forts here on Bay12 - give it a listen!

Just noticed Sal's "maybe on Friday" post. Quantum Drop or dikbutdagrate - either of you up to take a turn?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 08:42:31 am by delphonso »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2023, 10:40:37 am »

Argentinians, Argentinians everywhere... This is truly horrifying!

I was on the Dwarf Fortress Roundtable podcast talking about Spookyfort and the great trove of forts here on Bay12 - give it a listen!

Nice episode!

Good to see (or hear, I guess) someone advertising the Bay12 Forum community games, thanks for that!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 16, 2023, 02:06:27 pm »

Just noticed Sal's "maybe on Friday" post. Quantum Drop or dikbutdagrate - either of you up to take a turn?
Regrettably I'm going to have to pass at the moment - still trying to wrap my head around the new UI and getting nowhere. Next few days won't give me much time to play DF either; would it be possible to drop me to next week-ish?

(Also, nice podcast episode!)
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 16, 2023, 03:44:12 pm »

Alright, in that case I've grabbed the save. I'll try to do... Something.

EDIT: So far so good, halfway through spring. Morale is in the toilet among the inmate population, in no small part thanks to the ghosts of Bembul and a bard named Rith who got shot outside terrorizing everyone.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 18, 2023, 03:16:22 am »

To whom it may concern,

I've been stuck here for two years now, I was promised a one-year sentence!

And now I'm stuck re-assuming tenure as Overseer because for some reason the locals decided a guy in a dumb alien costume would be a great leader. Delmont says the guy looks like his cousin, but that can't be right because that'd mean it's the CEO.

Things are bad, morale is low and that means the prisoners and security staff are liable to come to blows. I'll do my best to keep the prison operational, if only for the sake of getting my damned sentence dealt with.

Anyway, this is my fourth request to have my sentence reviewed so I can depart, and I'll be awaiting the response as I have for over a year now.

- Splint Oaktomes

PS: If it turns out that spindly shit is the CEO I'm going to strangle him.

-

Letter written, Splint decided to take stock of what was around him. He'd tried to ignore the goings on of the fortress, hiding out in the miserable excuse of a forgeworks.

The first things he found were a pair of abandoned books. After the hallway that was a slurry of blood and vomit from one of the costumed goons getting his ass beaten by the guards. Splint was certain the guy was dead. Police brutality'd do that.

He found what seemed to be an unsent letter and an unkindly-written guide on the author's home town. He suspected they didn't like growing up in a hill town or some such.

He also noted the heap of skulls and hooves in front of the depot for whatever reason.

"Why on- You know what, no. Not asking that question," He said as he walked over to the heap. He then turned to the nearest dwarf, a bard named Dastot.

"Get this junk processed, don't need these skulls and whatnot spooking the wagon animals in autumn," he said as he tossed a llama skull to the bard.

"What if they want more decor up?" Dastot asked as he gestured to the pile of hooves.

"Meh, I'll talk to Salmeuk, see about getting some festive skeleton staues put in the entrance."

From there he tracked down Delmont and shoved some work orders in his hands. "Get these doled out. The iron stuff will be fine, but I want a minimum of steel shirts and helmets. And find that alien, the contractor with the glowie blue axe. Have him take Bembul's spot in the militia."

"Planning to run off those louts outside I take it?" Delmont said as he looked over the orders.

"Once we have a baseline of gear, yes," Splint said with a nod. "We'll just have to hope for the best that Security can handle it."

As he began looking over some of the stocks, which showed they had hundreds of iron and steel bars, plus ample platinum to make more souvenir coins, a notice came in of a birth among Zultan's medical staff.

He passed a congratulations along, then focused on other matters. With metal abundant, he had the inmates focus on fuel production and converting all the useless, ugly siltstone into trinkets to sell at the gift shop.

He also decided to inspect some of the local art, seeing how well the inmates and staff were keeping to the prison's enforced spirit.

(For whatever reason there is just a shitload of smooth pebble engravings, but these were interesting.)

He couldn't help but feel that some were prophetic warnings of the underground. With this in mind, he talked to Delmont about updating the militia's war gear to a basic outfit of a helm, shield, mail shirt and whatever weapon they preferred that was sitting around.

He also put a hand to Delmont's shoulder, and told him to turn over his security badge.

"What? Why?" Delmont asked, clearly incredulous.

"Because you just aren't a good fit for soldiering," Splint said, presenting his file. "Says here your mental fortitude has never been the best on your psyche profile, and there's a leatherworker named Ineth who isn't on staff who has basic training already, they'll fill your spot."

"And that aside, lots of folk leaning on you right now. Best not to have you distracted worrying about the fight to come."

With that he also assigned the Devil Barracks to the squad, dubbed The Master of Fear, so they could try to get some basic skills and discipline under their belts. Especially since, unless those clowns outside left before the end of the month, they'd be forced to run them off to get at the wood outside to get production back underway if nothing else.

He'd also decided the cells would need expanding and they would need the cots anyway. The fact this would yield much-needed limestone in light of the steel industry devouring everything they'd produced already was a bonus, and would mean more commemorative mugs would be available for the autumn export. The expansion also seemed to get one of the entertainers' attention, who applied for full citizenship!

Well, full staff privileges anyway. Why not, he'd been here long enough.

Come mid-slate though, with the need for beds to mitigate low morale, the order came.

The gate was lowered and Security mustered. What happened to the inmates as in the gods' hands now.

One of the creatures made vulgar displays and hurled insults, which served little purpose as it took shots at the advancing guards. One, Ral, lost his weapon as they charged hurling insults in kind, being shot in his axe arm, while Rith the hammer recruit caved in the intruder's skull after Ineth had cut away the foe's foot.

Salmeuk then led the pair after the ghost that had attempted to slime him, while Truuz the alien mercenary lead the rest against the other. Truuz in particular seemed to not like the one he dove on.

What possessed him to bite her ear off like Mike Tyson, the world may never know, though he did bellow "YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD, HARLOT!" as he stood and began hacking away with his new, fine iron axe.

By the end of it, it was the slime ghost as the last man standing, cut apart by angry dwarves and an alien. When all was said and done, two of the inmates were injured while the intruders all lay slain.

The force the ghost had hurled his slime and slapped at her left Rith crippled on the floor and in need of stitches, while Ral needed the arrows extracted from his limbs. After that, the long-dead bard Rith proceeded to harangue the clean-up crew and several itinerant bards descended on the opened gates. This prompted the order for a tomb to be constructed.

The Hammerdwarf meanwhile seemed contented by the violence, even if the conflict terrified her, citing that "Those bastards took my Bembul, they deserved every second of suffering." Splint considered it a good thing that she wasn't holding Notphonso responsible for the lever incident last year. Now if only they could get his ghost to stop moping around the tavern...

It wasn't long after this that Splint remembered rumblings that the dwellers below had become restless in the past years. This made him feel some sense of folly in his plan to breach the deep and only have a handful of cage traps prepared. More would be needed, to stem the tide if not halt it, before they did that.

Stonefalls would do amid the cages, but discs and spikes would serve better in the corridor beyond the doors.

That was for another time, a turkey had to be slain as a precaution and more blocks made for a surgeon named Minkot, who set about making some kind of object in the clothier's shop below.

It seemed it had a print of a dwarf lord defeating some godless monsters decades ago.

The next few weeks passed more or less quietly, the inmates doing their best to handle various matters. Morale remained exceptionally low though.

It would be the shrieking of a burned woman outside to herald Hematite, however.

The fight went better than expected, the slimer breaking someone's foot notwithstanding. I went in entirely expecting someone to be shot in the head, but no permanent injuries were sustained.

Yeah this place is a mess, just two ghosts single-handedly destroyed morale in this place. It also took hiring a new guy to go and clean that mess in the hall outside the pumpkin tavern, which lingered for months.

Roughly a third of the population is some flavor of pissed off, and I dunno when the riot will break out, but the way things are going it's going to be soon. The inbound flock of assholes is bound to make the situation actively worse and to get the situation under control so the fort doesn't die prematurely, bare minimum I need to get rid of one of the ghosts.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of both, but I'll leave that up to you guys to decide.

EDIT

There is now a pedestal with severed martian heads out front decorating it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2023, 02:42:52 am »

The strange being had been a menace to be sure. That's what the reports indicate.

Evidently the security guard, Irisp, had been stunned when the creature she called a Malefactor, had actually jumped at her!

However, once the stun was shaken off, she charged the beast, admitting to using the bulk of her head to bowl the creature over, followed by beating the thing unconcious before cracking it's skull like a "biohelm struck by a meteoroid."

She was lauded as a hero by the child Medtob, who had been outside playing and was assaulted by the feral creature.

His parents likewise showered praise on her for saving their boy. However, not all was well, as horns could be heard in the distance. While it sounded like it was just the hired goons DFM had hired based on the noise, something else was amiss.

A siege had come, along with... Something else. Something the Grays confirmed was absolutely not "harmless men and dwarves in suits."

Notphonso was strangely quiet about the matter, simply confirming he had a hunch they might be in the area when he arrived last year when asked. There were also reports of other strange beings, some more normal, such as a man who was clearly held aloft by a gyrocopter hidden with a smoke generator...

And something decidedly outside of DFM's staffing budget.

Security of course couldn't just ignore that, and once again mustered in the main entrance. Mercifully, only one, a so-called Skull Wizard, made an appearance and was promptly slain by Likot, one of the guards.

After a few days though, no sounds nor intrusions came, so the prisoners (at Splint's urging) resumed their work. Obviously this was met with opposition by a pantsless degenerate screaming at Gio for daring to go near the carpentry bench outside to assemble a bedframe.

Sazir, as closest security official, responded as one does by attempting to bludgeon the intruder with a mace. He had his hip dislocated for his trouble, then his knee injured when the nutcase smacked him with a bag.

Ineth had to save the day, slicing open the "clot's" hand at it took a swipe at her. The pair laid into the crature from there and Sazir, despite their wounds, managed to land the killing blow, caving in the creature's head.

And of course, right after, an alarm came in the form of strange lights passing overhead and the sound of what the Grays and Argenta identified as engines. They had even fired a little pod that played a message that one of them translated as saying the prisoners "would be cauterized."

Splint was impressed they could make sense of it, seeing as it was just "ACK" in various pitches and speeds. A brief scouting expedition revealed them to be picking over the remains of the previous attack, though to what end only the invaders knew. Mostly because they had followed some panicked surveyors up the hill to see what they were actually up to, and as that was being done a report came that Rith the ghostly bard had been put to rest. The jury was still out on if they were allowed to put ghostlyinmates to rest though.

The alien troopers descended in short order, engaging the waiting security force and wounding Gio the gray bard by blasting his hand off. The militia charged forth, cutting down the first alien in splashes of blood as sword and axe ripped into the creature's flesh, confirming - to everyone's shock - that they were not in fact just elves in costumes like some had assumed.

Ineth seemed to draw the worst of the fire, with slug after slug pitting her shield and sending (rather visually impressive) sparks flying off it or the stone behind her.

The fight was fast a brutal, though not without injury. Likot brought his axe to bear and chopped the invader's ehads from their shoulders at first opportunity, killing three in short order as his comrades crippled them, while Solon was shot in the chest, the otherworldly metal punching right through her bronze mail. She would avenge herself not long after, taking the head of the alien with her own axe even as blood seeped from her chest.

The Grays and Minkot cornered the last one as Mosus claimed a kill of her own, cleaving the alien's head from his shoulders. Once the last one was dead, security remained on high alert for a week after before they were allowed to go back to their day jobs.

Mid Malachite saw the first delivery of inmates in months, mostly petty criminals, mandate violators and so forth. Weirdly high number of hunters as well, which Splint could only chalk up to poaching. Splint put them, and anyone else with four working limbs and a pulse willing to do it, on plant collection duty - consumption was now far outstripping supply of plants, not helped by people eating the fermentables. Splint also handed the diggers a floorplan for a library, this being patterned after a witch or wizard's hat.

The passage of Galena without incident was welcome, though it was around the 18th Splint noticed something out front. A pedestal (a pillar, really) adorned with the hanging skulls of the Martians from earlier in the season.

He suspected his fellow inmates were starting to let the spooks get to them. Which considering what had heralded the start of the fall season?

Was understandable.

Hooooy, the morale issue is stable, but not great. There's a siege on us now and since I've reloacted most things inside, I'm tempted to just button up and wait for the movie monster people who rocked up to piss off on their own time.

The Chaotic Beings running afoul of Predators was also rather lucky. I'm sure this season could have been far far worse if they hadn't.

Growth is up, somewhat, including a high-master armorer, and I've gotten round about half the population housed as well. Oh and put down the ghostly bard. Seeing as he wasn't one of ours, I considered it fair, plus it's helped stablize the mood issue some, so long as Bembul doesn't park his plump, ghostly ass in the entrance when shit needs to be done.

I may need to hand things off early, I have drawing stuff I gotta do so I can get paid, but I'll try to get the remainder of the year dealt with.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2023, 02:54:47 am »

Nice updates! Seems like things are getting a bit tense there. Waiting for the prison riot to break out!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14