Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [v50.4+][STEAM/CLASSIC] Spellcrafts Mod - Magic Systems for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5336 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Spellcrafts Version 1.00.0 for Steam and Classic release.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Currently supports learning from secrets through books, slabs.
More mundane spells can be learned by eating "essences." These count as a vermin/fish type creature, and only dead ones can be eaten.
Also includes werebeasts, vampires, night trolls, bogeymen, nightmares, undead, weird monsters, megabeasts etc etc etc

You will no longer need to write-in the reactions to the vanilla entity files.

A copy of the current readme file can be found here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A legacy version for DF version 47.05 is available here;
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=6378

A legacy version for DF version 44.12 is available here;
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15030

What you need to learn magic;

Fort mode buildings and reactions:
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Your dwarves will use spells they know in combat or other situations they encounter which the AI considers appropriate for that spell.

Firstly, most sapient races can have "natural" magic, spells they "know from birth." These are simulated by an interaction they'll undertake themselves upon entering the map. This includes invaders. Familiars can trigger this interaction in races that dont have them (the various animal peoples or modded races) but races added by this mod and vanilla races can do so themselves. These powers are not all particularly useful or powerful, and many are race-specific. But not every dwarf will acquire any "natural" magic, and some may acquire multiple spells.

You can teach your dwarves further magic in the magician's studio by providing them with an inscribed slate, made of any valid building material, and aether salts, produced from various sources.
Inscribed slates can be purchased from your caravan, as they are tools, or made on-site at craftsdwarves workshops or forges.
Special tools are necessary to produce essences of the specialized spheres. These can be made in craftsdwarvs shops and forges as well.
The Conjuring Circle enables one to summon creatures and items. It can be built using ashes. Aether salts will be necessary. To summon many creatures a Tome of the Planes will be necessary, which can be obtained, rarely, from exchanging aether salts.
The Alchemy Lab can be used to create potions. Special alchemical ingredients, namely plants, will be necessary, the most commonly needed being milk bulbs.
The Enchanting Table can be used to create magic items and bronze golems, which require a full suit of bronze armor.
The Holy Altar can be used to pray to the gods for special favor.
The Runic Circle doesn't do anything productive yet...

-Aether Salts are the most important magical reagent, and can be made at the magician's studio. They can be generated freely, but slowly over time or made by combining various materials.
-Aether Residues: Salts can be exchanged for "residues," also a byproduct of many reactions, which are necessary for some further reactions.
-Essences are the products of magic learning reactions (the game won't let me write books yet, so its complicated). Eating an essence gives a creature the spell associated with that essence. Each school of magic offers multiple spells which come from different essences.
-Potions, like essences, are consumable food items. However, their effects are only temporary. Many reactions to summon creatures will produce a potion, which can then be eaten. The dwarf that consumed it can then summon the creature associated with it.

Dwarves can also learn magic by being "blessed" by the gods if they desecrate a temple. But they could turn into a pig or werebeast or vampire instead...
Secrets can also be written down in books and slabs, and an adventurer could collect these and bring them to the fortress. Writing secrets into codices is extremely rare/may never happen at the moment, due to a bug.

Adventure mode:
As an adventurer you have access to all the same avenues of learning as in fort mode. There are reactions available to learn magic and produce aether salts (from all the same sources as in fort mode). Inscribed slates can be made from wood or stone. Towers can hold slabs and books, but to build the tower the mages need a zombie workforce, and not all secrets include interactions to raise the dead. The slabs other mages learn from can be found in sites listed in legends mode, but it's still very difficult to actually locate these. Good places to look include mead halls and artifact halls in dwarven fortresses
You can also find wizards or people "blessed" as wizards for desecrating a temple. Stand around them and they will cast spells that create clouds of vapor, which if your character breathes them in will give you access to spells. This could take a while, however. You could also attack the wizard and drink their blood, making you a wizard and allowing you to teach yourself these spells, but starting a fight and benefitting from it of course implies not losing the fight.

Magic Schools ("mundane" mortal magic):

(currently implemented)
Generic: A collection of simplified spells that would fit into one of the other schools
Aetherial: Mysteries of magic itself, warping the very fabric of reality and summoning beings of pure magic
Hyazith: the mastery of fire and ice
Polybestia: the power to shapeshift into various creatures, and to transform your enemies to disrupt them
Medisephos: Holy magic of healing and protection.
Dementia: evil magic, including spells to paralyze and torture enemies with intense pain. Can also raise the dead and become werebeasts.
Kineroch: Storms, thunder and lightning, wind, and telekinesis.

(planned)
Shamanism: ancient powers to bless or harm others
Dwarves: mastery of the underground and aspects of dwarven life
Elves: devotion to and reliance on nature and one's bodily needs
Illusion: Affecting the senses of others and planting ideas in their heads.
???

Summoning and worship:
Can sacrifice, gift or trade with the gods or otherworldly beings to summon useful items, creatures, or magic powers.

Secrets: various gods may gift mortals with immense powers, detailed on legendary slabs and passed down through teaching and literature.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:41:14 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Spellcrafts - Non-Creature Features
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 10:30:56 pm »

Non-Creature Feature list
This post contain some small summaries on important features.

Plants:

Tools
Needed for the various reactions in the mod. Most can be made at forges or craftsman's workshops, or magicians studios. Can also be traded for, may be made by adventurers or found on people in adventure mode. Some however cannot be gained by normal means

Materials
Some of the things produced by or found in he world.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 06:42:33 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Spellcrafts - Creature Bestiary
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 10:31:43 pm »

Bestiary/list of creatures

« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 10:34:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Viax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Compatibility with myths V 5.0.8 version?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

If you mean Dark Ages: War and Mythos, probably not but I've never tried it. It claims to have changed a lot of vanilla content, and Spellcrafts relies on that vanilla content, at least as far as materials and tissues and inorganic goes. Use at your own risk.
I make Spellcrafts!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Update for V1.00.4 uploaded to both Steam and DFFD. Classic version doesnt have any graphics currently as I'm making sure not to use any Premium assets. I probably could have left the tools in, I'll get that fixed soon.

Got some bug fixes mostly, to reactions, interactions and materials. The reaction to turn plant creature bits into wood logs finally works, and mithril production produces four ingots of mithril from one adamantine and three steel, making it a means to multiply the usefulness of limited adamantine instead of an inferior alternative.
I make Spellcrafts!