Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread  (Read 13044 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: [Premium Dwarf Fortress] Graphics / Steam Workshop Megathread
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2022, 12:38:41 am »

Hope this is a good place to ask! I'm (also) modding kobolds, but I want them to use the default graphics, but they appear headless, graphically. The three biggest changes I made to them was giving them horns, a tail, and adding a third agender caste. Is any of that too much to have the normal graphics file work for it? I noticed the graphics_creatures_layered file seems to use castes to determine graphics, but all of them a headless, regardless of caste. It also didn't work when I removed the third caste. Is there something I'm missing to make them use the default graphics?

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 02:12:16 am »

I really wanna make my own graphics pack, but gee it's so overwhelming, especially for a really novice pixel artist. I didn't pursue my tileset in classic yet because I was hoping for premium to make it easier to separate things like zeroes from coffins for example, and it did, but now it feels harder to figure out in that there is now a lot more sprites to make! So maybe I should stick with making a classic tileset, but if I do that, then I'll be stuck having to consider what things share tiles with what! I dont know what path to go down... any suggestions from more experiences people than I? Furthermore as an actual question, why do the statue image pages not line up 32x32 correctly? when I try to put them on a 32x32 grid, they have too much white space inbetween, anyone know why?

Man0warable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 02:54:35 am »

I really wanna make my own graphics pack, but gee it's so overwhelming, especially for a really novice pixel artist. I didn't pursue my tileset in classic yet because I was hoping for premium to make it easier to separate things like zeroes from coffins for example, and it did, but now it feels harder to figure out in that there is now a lot more sprites to make! So maybe I should stick with making a classic tileset, but if I do that, then I'll be stuck having to consider what things share tiles with what! I dont know what path to go down... any suggestions from more experiences people than I? Furthermore as an actual question, why do the statue image pages not line up 32x32 correctly? when I try to put them on a 32x32 grid, they have too much white space inbetween, anyone know why?

That white space is meant to be transparent. The image editor you are using is incorrectly identifying those pixels as white. I'm guessing that you are using Paint. You need to use a different editor that can properly handle transparency. I think Paint 3D should suffice.

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 09:04:28 pm »

That white space is meant to be transparent. The image editor you are using is incorrectly identifying those pixels as white. I'm guessing that you are using Paint. You need to use a different editor that can properly handle transparency. I think Paint 3D should suffice.

I use graphicsgale and I figured it out thx!!!
Now to see if I can attempt such a project, it took a team of professional spriters for dwarf fortress to finish all those sprites, even if I go for my intended ascii inspired graphics, its quite the workload

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2022, 06:13:36 am »

Hope this is a good place to ask! I'm (also) modding kobolds, but I want them to use the default graphics, but they appear headless, graphically. The three biggest changes I made to them was giving them horns, a tail, and adding a third agender caste. Is any of that too much to have the normal graphics file work for it? I noticed the graphics_creatures_layered file seems to use castes to determine graphics, but all of them a headless, regardless of caste. It also didn't work when I removed the third caste. Is there something I'm missing to make them use the default graphics?

It's the new caste, or you tweaked skin colors.

You need to mod graphics for all your castes and all skin colors. If you don't do it, the graphics will be blank.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 02:13:10 pm »

It's the new caste, or you tweaked skin colors.

You need to mod graphics for all your castes and all skin colors. If you don't do it, the graphics will be blank.

Ah, that makes sense. I did indeed add additional skin colors to them too. If I still wanted to use the default kobold graphics, would I have to repackage and expand them in my mod? Or is there a way to tack on changes I'd want? Thanks for the answer though, that's a big help! :)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 02:20:27 pm »

I haven't tested this yet, but I believe that if you create a new graphics definition for the creature you can reference existing vanilla graphics in addition to new graphics files you create, but I've only skimmed the graphics file definition so someone may correct that.

On that note, I'm almost sure you have to create a new creature and new creature graphics definition, using new names.  That is, you may need to do something like [CREATURE:NEW_KOBOLD] and create a graphics definition that targets that instead of [CREATURE:KOBOLD], because there's no way to CUT the creature graphics for the [CREATURE:KOBOLD] and if you define a new one it'll duplicate the raws.  I assume that causes problems like it always did with other types of mods but admit I haven't tested it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2022, 02:06:26 am »

I did end up going the route of making my own graphics, but I'm having troubles once again. Dwarf Fortress can't seem to find my graphics. I have my raws set up properly, and my graphics are appropriately in graphics/images/, but it doesn't display anything. I can actually swap my raws to use vanilla graphics and it displays stuff just fine, but using my own doesn't seem to work. The most notable thing is that when I use vanilla graphics, there's a shadow, but there's no shadow with my own. Is there a certain way I'm supposed to export sprite sheets for DF to see or something?

For the record, my sprite sheet is named "intro_kobold_body.png" (INTRO_KOBOLD_BODY in raws) currently, but I tried a few permutations like "introbold_body.png" (INTROBOLD_BODY) to no effect. I'm not really sure what's wrong!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2022, 10:14:44 am »

Did you include a new [OBJECT:TILE_PAGE] file to reference your files?  If you can paste that and an example referencing it in your creature graphics file that may help pinpoint the problem.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

paleblood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 12:55:22 pm »

Hey guys, i dont know if this is the correct place or proper way to ask this. But is it possible to create a tileset with higher resolution for the steam release? I am no modder, im actually a digital painter and illustrator, im loving the steam release but i cant help to imagine the game would look awesome with hand painted stylized textures. I would like to try this but it wouldnt be possible if im restricted to the original resolutions (pixel art). I believe working with higher or even lower resolutions was possible with classic, i hope it is too with the steam release.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 02:39:29 pm »

[Is] it possible to create a tileset with higher resolution for the steam release?

In my testing, no. The place where the resolution of each tile would be defined is in the tile_page files. I tried doubling and halving the resolution for the rock walls, and neither seemed to have any effect on the graphics. There may be a way to do it, but I'm not feeling hopeful about it.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 09:26:47 pm »

Did you include a new [OBJECT:TILE_PAGE] file to reference your files?  If you can paste that and an example referencing it in your creature graphics file that may help pinpoint the problem.

I wasn't aware you needed that to get graphics seen properly, oh shoot. I added it and things are working! Thank you!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2022, 04:23:09 pm »

Has anyone figured out what the AS_IS argument means? My guess is it means only that 32x32 tile is being selected, and not more around it, but I have no idea if this is right or not.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2022, 06:19:53 pm »

How does colorization of sprites work? I see that for wieldables and clothes, each material and color gets its own sprite, but is there no way to just make it use the material color? There only seems to be one grayscale sprite for many other kinds of objects, like rocks and such, and artifacts and non-dwarf wieldables are all in grayscale, so it must have some means of automatically colorizing sprites. Is there a way to specify whether the object should take the color of its material or overwrite it?

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2022, 06:50:08 pm »

How does colorization of sprites work? I see that for wieldables and clothes, each material and color gets its own sprite, but is there no way to just make it use the material color? There only seems to be one grayscale sprite for many other kinds of objects, like rocks and such, and artifacts and non-dwarf wieldables are all in grayscale, so it must have some means of automatically colorizing sprites. Is there a way to specify whether the object should take the color of its material or overwrite it?

See the first post of this thread, first paragraph after the graphics header.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5