Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)  (Read 11621 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Singing Constellation: A Sci-Fi, High Fantasy Space Odyssey (6/∞)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 06:48:16 pm »

Lemmy

"Hey, that asteroid looks kinda small.  These obelisks, are they big upright things?  That stand up?"

"Cause maybe we can get real close and just find it with a telescope or something.  Save time.  Maybe even read it from here, if we have a really good telescope."

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 07:03:27 pm »

Velklin

"Umm... Don't you all think it's a bit strange? Who would put an obelisk on a five-kilometer rock like this...?" Velklin muses, trailing off, continuing to fiddle with his suit, his eyes darting around, avoiding looking at anyone in particular. "You know, it might be a trap. I'm not scared or anything, just something to be ready for."  Finally, he looks at the suit he's been kneading this whole time. "I should put this on... Umm... The suits do have gravity boots in 'em or something, right? Wouldn't wanna float off into space because i took one step too large on an asteroid with sub-zero gravity... Ehh whatever, lets just get this show on the road!"

Cast [Conjure Crystalline] to assist me in putting on the space suit.
Stretch.
Find and follow the toughest-looking team-member.

Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2023, 07:13:00 pm »

Su Lin
'A breath of fresh air is worth more than a moment of reckless curiosity.'

Su Lin considers that the asteroid is almost certainly without any atmosphere, and he is nowhere near advanced enough in his cultivation to eschew the need for air. Lemmy's solution is clearly the obvious thing to do, even if it is not possible to read the obelisk from the ship it should at least be possible to locate the obelisk remotely.

Also, doing so would give Su Lin the opportunity to get a head start on training, cycling Qi throughout his body. Perhaps he could gain some new insight by doing this on a spaceship as opposed to on a terrestrial planet?

Action 1: Su Lin instructs the ship's A.I. to orbit the asteroid as close as it is safely able to.
Action 2: Su Lin uses Qi Infusion to increase his strength by 2 for 2 turns.
Action 3: Su Lin uses Concentrate to refill his Qi reserves.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 02:41:30 am »

Burt

"What's the point of these boxes if they're all empty?"

Look for a broom or mop I can use as a weapon until a proper one is found.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2023, 06:23:02 pm »

"Nah, leave some untouched.  Maybe they're quantum packages, and only fill with stuff when we need it.  This tiny rock might not demand any gear."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2023, 09:43:49 pm »

Isabsam Butsha
"Got to be a bath room around here, then there must be storage, a space suit locker or something.."
Look fora space suit or a shuttle.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2023, 04:33:39 pm »

"Hey, that asteroid looks kinda small.  These obelisks, are they big upright things?  That stand up?"

"Cause maybe we can get real close and just find it with a telescope or something.  Save time.  Maybe even read it from here, if we have a really good telescope."

Asked the human, but the Narrator explained otherwise.

"Obelisks does stand out. It's that jet black floaty prism riiiiight over there. You can see it with a little effort. It is interactable technology though. It will only give the coordinates we need if you guys interact with it."

"And how do we interact with it?" Lemmy asked.

"You'll need to touch it. Though gesturing to it with enough intent might also work, Velkos' son might pull it off. We can come pretty close to it, this rock has no significant gravity."

Velklin casts Conjure Crystalline, and a small crystal humanoid sparkles into existence. Together, they manage to have him wear the outfit. Velklin's deer legs, being unguligrade, make this whole ordeal quite difficult. But they manage to have it fit in the end, if not a bit awkwardly. Velklin stretches into the suit, which seems to then wrap itself around him, fitting neatly onto his body, including his legs. Crystalline demanifests as Isabam walks and grabs another space suit to wear. Velklin decides to follow her around.

Su Lin, on the other hand thinks that they may not need to land onto the asteroid at all. Why not just approach it with the ship?

"Ship, set destination to obelisk structure, go as close as possible."

The ship briefly accelerates, stopping a dozen meters away from the obelisk. The obelisk is a floating, slowly spinning, three-story tall jet black diamond prism, with alien carvings on its surface. It is even darker than the morning space and the ash gray half-sphere that is rising above the minor planets horizon.

"What's the point of these boxes if they're all empty?" Asks Burt, but the Narrator doesn't bothers to answer. He doesn't takes the silence for an answer, and begins to search for anything that can be used as a weapon. He finds nothing, obviously.

Su Lin casts Qi Infusion, then Concentrates.

The ship is right next to the obelisk. Velklin may be able to interact with it.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2023, 05:56:10 pm »

Velklin

Velklin tilts his head, though any facial expression he might have made obscured by the seemingly opaque visor of the space suit. His voice likewise sounding muffled coming from inside the helmet."Y-yeah, i think i can feel the Obelisk from here, alright. I might would be able to interact with it from within the ship. Buuut..." He slumps his shoulders dramatically, hunching forward slightly. "I already put on this stupid suit... and perks up again as quickly, exclaiming "So lets go and play in microgravity!"

Try to visually inspect Obelisk for any defence mechanisms. "Besides, if something suddenly appears when we interact with it, i wouldn't want it to suddenly appear... inside the ship."
Continue following behind Isabam.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 07:36:43 pm »

Su Lin
'Good intentions pave the way to a righteous path, but without action, they are just fleeting thoughts.'

Su Lin considers the Narrator's words. Of particular interest was the bit about gesturing with intent, and a memory surfaced in Su Lin's mind of a time when one of the elders exuded their Killing Intent; which thankfully was not directed towards him. It was like a murderous aura emitted by a person when they have the desire to harm someone. A person who has experienced bloody battles tends to have a much stronger killing intent than a normal person, and experts may be able to disguise their killing intent, or even intentionally release it as a mental attack.

Perhaps the monolith responds to something similar?

Action 1: Su Lin makes an attempt to Intend for the monolith to reveal its secrets.
Action 2: Su Lin uses Qi Infusion to increase his strength by 2 for 2 turns.
Action 3: Su Lin uses Concentrate to refill his Qi reserves.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2023, 10:34:13 pm »

"Is there anything in here? is every room empty?"Isabsam Butsha wounders as she walks from empty room to empty room.

She settles on heading to air lock/ exit ramp to explore the asteroid.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2023, 12:56:16 am »

Hmm.

"Look, we all know we're gonna touch it.  So I'm gonna just cut to the chase and take care of that bit."

(Wait, suit.)

Throw up the horns at the obelisk.
Wear suit
Go over to the obelisk, and interact with it by climbing it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 02:18:11 am by Devastator »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 01:11:43 pm »

(Should note it seems I don't have time to play this.)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 04:11:41 pm »

Demigod kid is acts on the cautious side and inspects the monument, and is pleasantly surprised to find that there was no trap that awaited him.

Seeing that the small divinity abroad haven't tested their luck at getting the coordinates, Su Lin gathers all his focus and Intends:

Code: [Select]
Su Lin used Intent: 17
Then there is something that Intends back at him.

The Obelisk wobbles and spins in place, then stops and emits a powerful wave of thamaturgic charge. As soon as this wave hits you, you know all you have to know.

The knowledge shared is some sort of code, planted here a long time ago by a long-faded, mortal god of song. This god is by all means forgotten even in name and therefore deader than dead, as all mortal gods exist through the power of belief. Only proof of them ever existed in the first place is this lonely effigy they left behind. There are some other pieces of information, merely imprints from previous users, one may assume. It doesn't matters who they were however, what matters is the code.

''01... A-I... C-I... D-I...''

''Activate the Corner Devices. Form a triangle. Find the Fortress.''

''These seem to be planetary designations. I am going to think on how to interpret them, you may come up with your own conclusions.'' Adds the narrator.

Su Lin rekindles his Qi Infusion, then Concentrates once more.

Code: [Select]
Isabam Butsha and Velklin go out: 11, 5 
Lemmy climbs the obelisk: 14:

Minor planets surface is unsurprisingly revealed to be nothing but a mess of craters and fine carbonaceous regolith. There is literally nothing in sight. Isabam and Velklin could not find anything, for they did not know where to look. Velklin awkwardly waddless around with his springy legs, while the metal lady is much more composed and natural in this micro gravity environment.

Lemmy, on the other hand had convinced himself that the obelisk had anything more to give. He climbed on top of the thing, despite the narrator telling him to stop. After about fifteen minutes of trying to interact and relearning the same piece of knowledge every time, Lemmy gives up his pursuit, and descends back down.

There is a clue as to what you have to do. Decode it.

Current Characters

Spoiler: Lemmy | (30/30 HP) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Burt | (40/40 HP) (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 05:41:55 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2023, 05:37:36 pm »

Su Lin
'Music is the universal language that soothes the soul and unites the world in sweet harmony.'

Su Lin is somewhat surprised that his theory was correct. He suspected that fate would actually force him to go out on the space rock. Wait, did Lemmy even have a space suit? His inventory didn't seem to think so. Su Lin would do something about it, but his inventory also didn't indicate a space suit, so going out would just make things worse.

Of more interest to Su Lin is the history of the obelisk that was made known to him. As a person who seeks immortality himself, he can sympathize with the Mortal God of Song. He also considers the implications. If a mortal god exists through belief, and the obelisk is proof of their existence, does that mean that the obelisk could revive the god? Su Lin is not too optimistic about the possibility but...

Action 1: Su Lin attempts to discern the dead god's name from the obelisk.
Action 2: Su Lin believes in the mortal god that created the obelisk.
Action 3: Su Lin attempts to meditate to better understand the Dao of 'Song'

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2023, 05:41:02 pm »

Wait, did Lemmy even have a space suit? His inventory didn't seem to think so.

i forgor lol

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18