Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rise of the Mighty  (Read 2180 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rise of the Mighty
« on: February 27, 2023, 12:27:36 pm »

It was a swift ship, sleek and low and black flag billowing.  It pounced out from a sheltered cove, and you could only watch in dread as your lumbering vessel tried to escape, the atheric engine increasing in pitch as it shifted wind and water to gain whatever speed it could.

There was no fortunate escape, or miraculous wind securing a race to freedom. The pirates sent a cannonball soaring over the deck in warning, and the merchant captain argued with the navigator and struck the colors. The hum of the aetheric engine lowered, and the wind dissipated, allowing the pirates to board.

You’re not sure what happened next, as the navigator waved his hand and blue fire consumed the pirate’s captain before a musket ball blew through the spellcaster’s head. Steel flashed and a deadly brawl spread throughout the ships. Only later do you recall the merchant captain slipping below the deck, and the hum of the aetheric engines rise to a fevered pitch. The pirates had the upper hand, but fate had other plans for you as the ship erupted around you in a flash of light and aetherium. The last sight you recall is burning eyes in the darkness before the water swallows you whole.

You wake up. The sheets are rough against your skin, but in a bed you lay, surrounded by 4 wooden walls. Daylight streams through a open window, the sounds of the sea being carried with it. Only a few minutes pass before the door opens and you are greeted with a cry of surprise to see you awake.

A local fisherman found you and a few other survivors on a beach, piled you into his boat and took you back to his village, Seatree. A trip he made with all speed, engine strained to its limit. For while finding one Mighty on a beach is remarkable, finding several is a portent not seen since the ages of Myth.

So rise, ye Mighty. Deeds fell and great are yet to be done.

Welcome to Rise of the Mighty. You play as Mighty, divinely empowered heroes and champions in a world wracked by disaster. You are in the land of Logadia, split from the Eternal City and the Republic by the Abyss which has consumed the seas.

Creating your Mighty:
-Name:
-Appearance:
-Goals/Ambitions: Why burning desire led to you being chosen?
-Aspects: Start with 3 Aspects
A word representing a portion of the divine fire empowering your abilities. Aspects can be elemental, such as fire or night, human nature, such as love or vengeance, or a skill such as sword or dance. (Godbound words good example). Possessing an Aspect changes and empowers you just by having it, what way do your aspects effect you? Examples: Fire-can control fire and is immune to it. Vengence-You never miss against someone who has harmed you. Dance-  Dancing is just as restful as sleep to you, and are able to communicate with any intelligent creature with your body language.

Three Stats: Assign 4 dice, no category can start with more than 2.
Prowess: Physical ability, from fighting to dexterity. Can be used for acts of both physical strength and dexterity.
Resolve: Strength of spirit and convictions. Can be used for convincing others, wielding raw power and resisting corruption.
Cunning: Intelligence and Plotting. Can be used for rituals, designing machines, crafting complicated plots.

In addition, come up with two gifts based on your aspect(s). Gifts are bound to a single aspect. Gifts are abilities/miracles that you can easily call upon. 

When you perform an action that has a possibility of failure or interesting consequences,  choose a stat that is related to your action. The rating in the stat will be rolled, (example Prowess:2 will roll 2d6 and take the highest of the two dice.)
A roll of 6 suceeds, no extra consequences resulting from the action.
A roll of 4-5 suceeds, however there is an extra complication.
A roll of 1-3 fails.

Your effectiveness and possible consequences are fiction dependent, but when the odds are bleak and the situation is do or die, your action becomes desperate. When performing a desperate action, you gain an additional XP, however, the dangers and possible consequences are more severe. You can volunteer to take desperate actions to increase your position or effect while also gaining the additional XP.

Spoiler: Gifts and Dominion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leveling Up (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Mighty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Words/Aspects (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 04:38:58 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mighty (0/5ish Players)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 12:28:09 pm »

Reserved
Reserved first post. Will be taking character applications over the next several days.

I’m taking a lot of inspiration here from the TTRPG Godbound, but there is no need to know the sourcebook. If you are looking for inspiration for Aspects and/or gifts, though, there is a free edition.

Setting wise no need to absorb all the proper nouns and stuff. You can wake up and not remember your past life (or be a dragon or sea fairy queen with your past life partially or wholly subsumed). And conversely feel free to ask me if you want further details while fleshing out your character.

As always let me know if I missed something or if you have any questions.

Optional discord for discussion: https://discord.gg/SwpNdQWW
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 03:06:11 pm »

IN

Sheet WIP

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:57:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 04:12:44 pm »

Will post an Artifice/Metal/Gun sheet later, with 1/1/2 statline. It has arrived!
Spoiler: Quintina O’Farou (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:57:19 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 04:42:05 pm »

Spoiler: Seco (click to show/hide)
Seco, the eternal enemy of every establishment's janitors.
He tracks sand everywhere, even if there is no possible way for there to be sand there.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 11:32:02 pm »

Spoiler: Dathuil (click to show/hide)
Let me know if there are any issues. I'm on vacation right now so if this starts before Sunday I may be slow to post.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:16:40 am by Sudurandom »

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 08:04:55 pm »

Behold, my still WIP SHEET (but PROGRESS IS BEING MADE

Spoiler: Adam (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 04:00:44 am by Knightwing64 »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 08:40:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In

What do I do for gifts?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:38:33 am »

Spoiler: Cera-Sim (click to show/hide)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 02:06:01 am »

Balance? What balance? This is based on Godbound! I am much too tired to try to be balanced.

Spoiler: Arvegil (click to show/hide)

I can't say I'm completely happy with it but I think it'll be fun to, as I said on Discord, just throw lightning at anything that displeases me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:49:05 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 05:36:34 pm »

Thank you for all of the interest and applications. I have chosen the following six characters.

Accepted:
Max Spin: Rama the Dispossessed
Glass: Quintina O’Farou
VermillionSkies: Seco
Sudurandom: Dathuil
Egan_BW: Cera-Sim
Madman: Arvegil

Knightwing and BlackPaladin are placed on the Waitlist in case of any dropouts.

Well, no better place to start than right into the middle of the action!. . .

The Free Armada frigate The Terror boldly sailed into the sheltered bay that the fishing village of Seatree nestled inside. The eponymous tree spread from the top of the cliff that the pirate ship sailed under, its roots twisting through rock and stone near the sea below.

Captain Redfear stifled a yawn. Seatree was just next on the list of villages to be extorted. If they provided the tribute demanded, the pirates would leave the villagers mostly in peace, maybe take off with a few of the prettier ones. If not, Seatree would become another example of what happens if you cross the Free Armada.

The Dark Navigator Ivonis, the black tatoos of his dread goddess slowly swirling on his body, stepped forward and squinted at the village.
Engagement Roll: 4  
“It feels off, Captain,” he slowly muttered as he raised his hands, questing tendrils of darkness issuing from his tattoos.“Might be a fight for us.”

Captain Redfear grinned and called to his slayers“Gear up boys! Spooky thinks we have a fight on our hands so we best be ready to dance with them. Get the away boat ready!”

And so the frigate The Terror arms its cannons as it watches over two rowboats, full of armed pirates, making their way to make their demands of the village of Seatree. 

And, of course, completley unaware that just a couple days ago, six Mighty awakened to their powers in this village. 

What do you do?

Opportunities/Problems
Going to lay out possible action points, you can come up with your own as well.

A-Greet the landing party, either with honeyed words or with steel in hand. The landing party has Captain Redfear and his heavily armed gang of slayers.

B-Disable or take over the frigate. Helmed by a Dark Navigator with eldritch power and a crew of pirates. Also has cannons armed and ready

Engagement rolls and FlashbacksTo start off missions and engagements, I will roll an Engagement roll, which accounts for luck and planning in how well the engagement starts off for you. This can be influenced by how well your approach and preparations suit the target, and generally higher is better. In this case with a 4, you are put in a risky situation with the pirates on guard and armed.

Alongside this, one of the actions you can take are Flashbacks. Instead of preplanning for variety of scenarios, you can wait and see what obstacles are in front of you and “flashback” to show how in your “godly” wisdom you prepared for this eventuality.

If your action doesn’t require any particular foresight or danger, there is no Effort cost for the Flashback, outside of any effort you might have spent that day. Building cannons, secreting the villagers away, or producing an abundance of food would all be examples of zero effort costing flashbacks.

Planting a bomb on the frigate or hiding among the crew would be difficult but not impossible, costing 1 or two effort points and also a roll of a relevant stat, depending upon the details of your flashback. You cannot, however, override what has been previously stated. For example, you cannot have already assassinated Captain Redfear.

If doing a flashback, state what you did in the flashback before your action in italics. You can take an action in addition to a flashback (may put in limits later if needed.)

And as always let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 05:44:17 pm by chubby2man »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 05:53:07 pm »

Greet the landers! Explain to them that they should consider a change in profession, because what they're doing is wrong.
Use my Conviction, and make it Desperate for fun gambling reasons.

"Hello, master-captain. I'm here to make an offer better than what you think to demand. For your own good, stop debasing yourselves with violence and stealing from the innocent. With your ship, you could easily turn a profit in peacefully trading in these hard times."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 10:41:08 pm by Egan_BW »
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mighty
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 11:30:01 pm »

Take a walk underwater since, y'know, breathing is optional. Just stroll out under the incoming boats and warp the weather around them to drive them back out to sea. If they win through, they'll be exhausted from rowing through the storm. If not, well, all the eggs in one frigate-shaped basket...

Further ideas welcome :P
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mighty
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2023, 12:12:07 am »

The woman was twirling a thin length of metal in her off-hand as the head of the local militia finished giving her an overview of the island’s defenses.

“Mmm.”

The head of militia waited for some elaboration.

“Right, ya need more cannons.”

The head of the militia blinked. “More... cannons?”

“Well, yeah. What else’s gonna work against ships?”

“No, no, I mean- how are we supposed to get cannons?”

The woman laughed, a cracking thing like a hissing fuse. And then there was a cannon.
“Like that, duh.”

Quintina is ready to fire on Redfear and his slayers with her personal weapons and also a bevy of cannons should negotiations head in the anticipated southerly direction.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4