- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 23692 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Squelshman Reprisals:
--[Vulk 5%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
--[Wright 2%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
--[FitzHarbort 1%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
Ok one more question, do reprisals target the lord who woke them up, or do they target an Alkabarian marcher lord at random?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

ok one more question, thanks for answering these

I see that up to three armies can be assigned to a fort and they do not count toward your unit cap as long as they are.
You can also assign boats to the defense of a castle. Can you assign armies (or special units, like archers) to the defense of a castle as well? It seems logical, but the OP does not literally say so.
It was easy to miss but yes:

Unassigned armies will defend your castle.

You can assign any unit to defend your castle. Or rather, by default, any unassigned units defend the castle.

Do I understand correctly that retreat happens after half of the force is defeated rounded up?
Yes that sounds right. If you attack with 5 and 2 die, you keep fighting, but if 3 are dead you retreat.

- Squelshman Reprisals:
--[Vulk 5%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
--[Wright 2%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
--[FitzHarbort 1%] The Squelsh are quiet... for now.
Ok one more question, do reprisals target the lord who woke them up, or do they target an Alkabarian marcher lord at random?
They are reprisals against the specific lord. If you never kill any Squelsh, you will never experience reprisals from them. When they attack, they attack a random county adjacent to an unconquered tile.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a squelsh attack, does the reprisal percentage lower? Or does it stay that high forever (outside of artifacts/locations/other things we don't know about)

Edit: Actually, if we defeat a squelsh attack, does the percentage raise from the killed attackers as well? That might be funny.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 08:51:07 am by Criptfeind »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

After a squelsh attack, does the reprisal percentage lower? Or does it stay that high forever (outside of artifacts/locations/other things we don't know about)
Outside of specific sites, artefacts etc., the number doesn't normally go down. I've updated the OP to clarify a bit about it, but multiple Lords can be attacked in reprisals, with the most hated Lord attacked first, and then the second-most etc. As such, forts, patrols, and defence artefacts are more likely to be useful the longer the game goes on.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do I understand correctly that retreat happens after half of the force is defeated rounded up?
Yes that sounds right. If you attack with 5 and 2 die, you keep fighting, but if 3 are dead you retreat.
In light of this information I have to change my orders, sorry to keep doing that. The boars could easily kill 4 armies and I can't have those cowards retreat.

New Orders:

Pay the Prince a one-time fee of 1 gold for discovering the Wolf Crystal.
Buy 2 more armies
March on D13 with 9 armies
Scout D11-D10-D9

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Edit: Actually, if we defeat a squelsh attack, does the percentage raise from the killed attackers as well? That might be funny.
It counts each and every Squelshman killed, so yes, defeating an attack will raise the percentage too.

In light of this information I have to change my orders, sorry to keep doing that. The boars could easily kill 4 armies and I can't have those cowards retreat.
Reasonable. Fortunately I hadn't started processing your actions yet.

(I've done a1s and Kashkyyk, so you two, please don't edit your turn.)

Edit: a pretty funny bug in my generator: it was never giving the empty result, so the initial exploration was more deadly and scouts a bit more likely to head back early! This has now been fixed for this next turn.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:48:01 am by notquitethere »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

A couple more questions on Reprisals: Does it count only the Squelsh killed this turn, or since game start? If Game Start, Does it get reset to zero if a reprisal is generated? If not, does that mean we can death-spiral and grt constant unending Squelsh invasions?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

A couple more questions on Reprisals: Does it count only the Squelsh killed this turn, or since game start? If Game Start, Does it get reset to zero if a reprisal is generated? If not, does that mean we can death-spiral and grt constant unending Squelsh invasions?
Since game start. Doesn't reset. There will be ways to deal with it, so don't worry too much at this stage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, worrying about those southern thorns. Is it true that the Thornish can't/won't use boats? I'm thinking about the T13 thornish fort right now, as far as I can tell, it's about to pop, the closet player tile that they'd normally assault would be S14. But, can they attack the island? If not, will they instead attack one of my provinces instead as the next closest tiles?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

So, worrying about those southern thorns. Is it true that the Thornish can't/won't use boats? I'm thinking about the T13 thornish fort right now, as far as I can tell, it's about to pop, the closet player tile that they'd normally assault would be S14. But, can they attack the island? If not, will they instead attack one of my provinces instead as the next closest tiles?
Closest valid county tile, and as they have no boats that won't be the island. If enemies get boats later somehow, they would use them.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: a pretty funny bug in my generator: it was never giving the empty result, so the initial exploration was more deadly and scouts a bit more likely to head back early! This has now been fixed for this next turn.
The square of J13 did generate an empty monster result in turn one.. was the bug introduced later?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

The square of J13 did generate an empty monster result in turn one.. was the bug introduced later?
Ah but the tile wasn't entirely empty, the first "feature" roll made a quarry— it managed to get nothing on its second roll which wasn't bugged.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Closest valid county tile, and as they have no boats that won't be the island. If enemies get boats later somehow, they would use them.

Worrying. This could mean in theory if I sent out an army to attack the giant, they could be forced to take 3 fights in a row, first vs the giant, then attacked by the P11 thorn fort, then if the T13 thorn fort either if they attack the giant lair or my castle.... The possibility of a double ambush in the giants lair is the scariest scenario I think, because the thorns would get first strike on both assaults.

Welp.

Can I ask what you're going to do Egan_BW? The best scenario for me might be you taking the fort which I think is something you need to do eventually if you want to ever land on the shores, but I'm not sure what state you are in, if that's a reasonable possibility. Maybe there could be some assistance I could offer that would make it the correct choice?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile

Yeah, attacking isn't a very good idea for me right now, since 3 armies would have to get very lucky to wipe out 3 defenders in a single siege round even if I put my wood stockpile into siege engines, which delays getting a ship. If I siege and don't take it in the first turn, I've kinda got nothing, so I have to outnumber them, which requires building boats AND more armies, which I can't afford to hire, and I've got nothing to offer other players to trade for armies, and the gold reward for taking the castle is 0-3 gold, so not worth it.

Yeah I'm just gonna try the east coast and let them attack you instead. Then they'll be weaker when it is time to attack.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile

No wait, I already have two boats, duh. Then if I spend all my gold on armies, I can attack with 5, and...
Nah, still better to let them attack first so they're weaker. I want to save up my wood. >.>
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52