- 0 (0%)
Bloodsinger
- 0 (0%)
Boar
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 27, 2023, 04:40:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52

Author Topic: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - COMPLETED  (Read 23705 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 13 - WAR
« Reply #510 on: June 08, 2023, 02:19:43 pm »

Could Royal Seals be captured in a cat sack?
It's more fun if I say yes here I think.

How would a siege on the Selkie Court work, do attackers sail home automatically after a round of combat?
Sort of but not actually. It works the same as a regular siege: the units remain on the tile (with the boats) during the whole enemy phase and then on the player's next turn, they can continue whether to continue the siege or redeploy the units and boats elsewhere. What you can't do is sail in with 10 units on a ship and then try to continue the siege in the next round while using the ship somewhere else.

This looks good! One thing: Castle Aubade isn't a fort, it's a castle, which is even better. Fort are like mini-castles which can only hold three guys and ususually no features. As such it has 10 defence, +4 for the tower, so 14/14 defence. Also, you can have your starting 5 gold as well as the stuff the Countess gave you, so that puts you at 26!

As a hero you get to start with an artefact from previous adventures, you get: the Whiptide Sail (one boat or ship can travel twice as far).

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 08, 2023, 02:22:34 pm »

A naval force of reckoning I am indeed. Also good to know! Will adjust sheet accordingly.
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 08, 2023, 02:24:44 pm »

The Host can retreat in battle if they have any territory left.
This here is a relevant detail. Even with 50 units we're highly unlikely to defeat Owain immediately. We'd likely cut his forces in half and force him to flee instead.

Also I sorta got sidetracked there ranting on about whatever I was talking about. Sorry, you're right here, assuming he CAN retreat when fleeing? I guess I assumed it was normal retreat rules (where defenders can't retreat) but the way you put it makes a lot of sense.

How many people do we realistically need to take him out? Assuming we use a cat he'll strike out with 31 6+s, probably kill 12 dudes, then we strike back needing 31 5+s, which is about 62 dudes. So 74 dudes should give us even odds on taking him down? 80-90 to "make sure" (so long as we don't have as bad luck as you did vs the dragon) That is, I'll admit, a lot. But not past what we're capable of. But yeah, it's a lot.

It's a big commitment but I'm not sure I see an alternative.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:27:32 pm by Criptfeind »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 08, 2023, 02:28:24 pm »

Owain only leaves a single army behind to defend captured villages, so if we're quick about it, and mop up the random Squelsh squads, we'll grow faster than him. Unfortunately we have a troop cap but we could keep throwing bodies at him and trust that we reinforce faster.

Edit: updating my sheet.

Bockhoven gets a 4 Gold share from the Dragon Hoard, and then immediately gives it to me to pay off the last of the loan

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:59:49 pm by Kashyyk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 08, 2023, 02:43:53 pm »

Hmm, that is a good point, although we do have to keep in mind that every village we take back from him is going to give us +6% reprisal chance, which might start to stack up somewhat unpleasantly. I do think we need to kill him sooner rather then later, but if people want to wait to capture another castle or two and until we can kill him and take all his villages in the same turn to prevent retreats I think that's reasonable enough.

Edit: Unless someone else has a better use for it this turn can I hire out your wolf Crystal to hit R5 Quarque?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:47:52 pm by Criptfeind »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 08, 2023, 03:23:30 pm »

Bockhoven gets a 4 Gold share from the Dragon Hoard, and then immediately gives it to me to pay off the last of the loan
ok, updating sheet

I would prefer to capture the Selkie Court first and take on Owain next, if possible.

Edit: Unless someone else has a better use for it this turn can I hire out your wolf Crystal to hit R5 Quarque?
I already worked out a deal with Horizon, can it wait a turn? In any case, before we talk about this I technically need a confirmation from a1s that I'm getting it back.

Spoiler: Bockhoven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 03:31:50 pm by Quarque »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 08, 2023, 03:29:17 pm »

How many people do we realistically need to take him out? Assuming we use a cat he'll strike out with 31 6+s, probably kill 12 dudes, then we strike back needing 31 5+s, which is about 62 dudes. So 74 dudes should give us even odds on taking him down? 80-90 to "make sure" (so long as we don't have as bad luck as you did vs the dragon) That is, I'll admit, a lot. But not past what we're capable of. But yeah, it's a lot.
With 74 dudes (including a cat) we would are like 95% likely to wipe them out in one go. They would need crazy luck to kill more than 16 in the first round. I can show the math, the binomial distribution tells you the odds of killing a certain number of units in a combat round, given the number of attacking units and the odds per unit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 08, 2023, 04:32:07 pm »

I don't need to see the math, I'll believe you, I'm not particularly good at math anyway :P Although I wasn't counting on a cat! (which would reduce our casualties by 1/3, so the back of the napkin math I was doing would have 74 be more like the 80 I proposed?... maybe lol idk I'm not good at math)

I already worked out a deal with Horizon, can it wait a turn? In any case, before we talk about this I technically need a confirmation from a1s that I'm getting it back.

Absolutely go ahead with your other deal. Like I said, "Unless someone else has a better use for it this turn". I might end up killing those wolves but I'm sure there will always be wolves around somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 04:51:44 pm by Criptfeind »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 12 - REBELLION
« Reply #518 on: June 08, 2023, 04:42:16 pm »

orders:
Send The Wolf Crystal to Bockhoven with a complimentary wolf.
Send 10 armies to K10
Send 3 armies a wolf and a cat to L7
Send 1 army and a wolf to M7
Scout J7-I6-J6
Repair N11 with 1 wood (to 1/4)

I would also like to sell some wood. 3:2 gold, 2:1 stone!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 12:14:02 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 08, 2023, 05:02:23 pm »

This might be a weird one, but Horizon, would you be amenable to renting out the speculators rods? I have no idea how one would price such a random thing thing, per turn or per discovery or whatever. But I have some hills that need speculating. I got wood, I got armies, I got gold, so if you are open to the idea of renting it out I'd be glad to negotiate a price.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 08, 2023, 05:19:37 pm »

I will consider it but as of this moment no.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 08, 2023, 05:22:24 pm »

Also this might sound silly but it occurred to me that communication might be much easier if this game had a discord to get diplomatic relations, trades or just talking things out a bit more quicker? Dunno just a thought.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 08, 2023, 05:33:07 pm »

Probably would be easier/faster, however I don't think the way it's currently done is much of a strain and I find a certain satisfaction to having it all in one thread that can be read back though. Which is something I sometimes do to old interesting games although I could be totally alone in that. Hosting it on discord would lead to it being lost in the ether once the game finishes and probably wouldn't be great for any watchers who are interested in reading the byplay, if there is any of those.

It's the sorta thing I'd be okay doing if everyone wants, but wouldn't vote for myself.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hedge Lords - Medieval Fantasy 4X game - TURN 12 - REBELLION
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2023, 05:48:48 pm »

Send The Wolf Crystal to Bockhoven with a complimentary wolf.
Thank you.

So, Horizon, as discussed, I will lend you the wolf crystal for one turn to deal with the lair at B2, for the price of 1 gold now and three of the wolves next turn.

@Kashyyk: as discussed, I would like your support in a siege on the Selkie Court this turn with 10 units, if possible. I would provide the ship.

edit: tentative orders replaced, see further down
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:52:11 pm by Quarque »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2023, 07:36:39 pm »

Can we give territories to other players in trade or does the other play have to spend a march on them?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52