Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Perpetuals - Warhammer 30k (OOC)  (Read 2733 times)

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Perpetuals - Warhammer 30k (OOC)
« on: June 15, 2023, 06:23:30 am »

Year is 700M30. As Terra is on the verge of being unified under the hold of the Emperor, the Age of Strife enters in its final years.
After 10 milleniums of devastating warp storms, which ended the Dark Age of Technology and scattered the human colonies through the Milky Way, the stars are once again reachable. Plans are on motion for one of the most glorious era of Humanity.

But will it be short-lived?

So, some years ago, there was a game called Sindari: Immortals. Which was basically a game following half-gods, fighting other half-gods in a fantasy Antiquity, as the game spanned through the years. I liked the idea.
So this game has the same principles and core mechanics, just a different universe, the one of Warhammer 40k.

As it turns out, the lore has precisely characters corresponding to the Sindari: the Perpetuals. So let's shamelessy steal the existing rules of the Sindari and apply them for the 40k universe!

What this game is about?

It's a sandbox game in the 31st millenium of Warhammer 40k, where you go through the late Age of Strife, the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy as a Perpetual: a human with the power of immortality. Sort of.
Depending of your starting place and allegiance, you may do your own things in your corner, or quickly get carry away in the events of the galaxy. As you grow in power, you may with time play a bigger and bigger role.

Spoiler: What is a Perpetual? (click to show/hide)

Creating a character
Spoiler: Character's Sheet (click to show/hide)

Name and Appearance are self-explanatory.
At the beginning of the game, you have four Allegiance available:
- The Emperor, only available if you start on Terra
- The Cabal, a secret society of xenos and human trying to fight Chaos through the galaxy
- The Mechanicum, the Clergy of Mars, pursuing its own goals of knowledge and technology. Only available if starting on Mars or one of it forge worlds
- Unaligned, if you are just a Perpetual wondering why it is immortal, or have other greater motives...
As the game advances, more Allegiances may unlock.
Location is where you indicate on which planet you are on, and the continent/city if the lore is deep enough for that. Update it through the game, to make it easier to understand. You can start literaly anywhere at the beginning.
For the galaxy map, check the awesome Warhammer 40k Interactive Map

For the Special Ability, you can choose one amongst those 5:
Spoiler: Special Ability (click to show/hide)

The attributes come in five flavours, starting at the human average of 5. They will especially be useful in rolls, which mostly happen in events.

Strength: Your raw power, how much you are able to support and how strong you punch
Ability: How quick, agile and precise you are
Intelligence: How smart you are. Especially important for psykers
Willpower: How strong is your resolve. The higher, the better you are able to withstand the power. of the Warp. Important for blanks and psykers
Charisma: How smooth-talker you are, able to convince both individuals and crowds

When creating your character, you have 5 additional attribute points to distribute as you wish.

When creating your character, you have 5 additional attributes points, plus the dozens number of the years since the game has run (so if the game has run for 100 years, you get 5+10 attributes points).

The Relations describe both the important characters in your story and environment, and the influence you have in groups and places. They come in three types:

Groups is where you put the organizations where you have a part in. In bullet points, you should explain the motives of the group, their rough size and the influence you have inside it (on a scale from 1 to 100). If it's a group you created and / or who is under your orders, specify it.

Individuals is where you place the important characters you met. You should put in a few bullet points their role and location, the groups they are part of if you know it, why they are significant to you, and the influence you have on them (from 1 to 100).

Family is a subcategory of Individuals, where you put your partner(s?) and children. No need for explanation besides their filiation, except if they start having a role in your adventures.

Skills represent your knowledge and techniques in various themes. Like attributes, they will be useful in rolls (which are explained below). Skills are capped to 20 (or 30 using a 20+ pass, see infos about this in Turns and Actions).
Example skills: Weapon skill, Power Armor user, Tactician, Navigator, Leadership, Biologist, Techno-Crafter, Power-Armour Maker...
You start with 4 skills of your choice, at level 5 each.
You start with a number of skill points equivalent to the number of years that has passed since the beginning of the game, that you can distribute as you wish, with a maximum of 20 levels in one skill (if the game has run for 100 years, you get 100 skill points to distribute).

Psychic Powers catalogs the powers you can use if you are a Psyker. This is where you list the ones you master, and can use anytime.
Each time you use a power, a 1d20 dice is rolled. On 20, it's a critical failure, causing the Warp to react badly on and around you... (the effects of failure are still scaled to the power level of the spell)
Spells have three criterias:
Effect, which is the size, damage and raw power of the spell. In case of mental spells, it represents how strong-willed the victim must be to resist it (standard meaning most humans will succumb to it). If the spell launches another effect on landing (such as shockwave for a fireball, or launching a fog on a distance), the range of that secondary effect depends of this criteria. Minor is a meter or less, standard is up to 10m, massive is 30m.
Scale represents the number of targets that can be hit at once, OR the number of projectiles casted, depending of the description of the spell.
Range is the reach a spell can be launched to, or a projectile can fly to, from the caster.
The Blanks have a passive, unique power called the Blank Aura. The Blank Aura extends by one meter per Willpower point (meaning your aura is of 5m at the beginning of the game).

Equipment is where you put your artifacts and other creations. Crafting has its specific system.

Spoiler: Crafting System (click to show/hide)

About death. Your character is immortal, only losing 10 years to recover and go back on track. Perpetuals, however, can be killed on very specific circumstances (mainly involving Fulgurite). Also remember, as we are in 40k and messing with the Warp, that there are fates worse than death...

Turns and actions

Turns go through 10 or 50 years (it will be specified at the beginning of the turn). In your turn, you have one action per year, where you put the focus on something or someone. Most actions will not require a roll, allowing you to planify your rise in power.

Alongside your actions, you also gain +1 point in an attribute of your choice per 10 years.

Spoiler: Other Actions examples (click to show/hide)

Organizations you control (100 influence) can now do "subactions" during your turn, following your orders. Amongst the possibilities are:

Events and rolls

Events will happen through the course of the game. It will be small scenarios that will happen on your character during turns, when having important decisions or moments, which will break the usual rythm of decades. You will have to take decisions, and may go through tense situations which will ask for rolls. The turn will resume after the end of the event.
Spoiler: Rolls System (click to show/hide)

The GM will shuffle through the players so they live some form of events from time to time. Obviously, players closer to main characters (the Emperor, Horus, the Cabale, Primarchs...) may have greater chances of having events. I'll try to balance it out though.
You can also volunteer for one if you feel you have been neglected.

Objectives of the game

The game goes through the events of the late Age of Strife, going through the Great Crusade and ending with the Horus Heresy. If you want a narrative-driven game, start on Terra and stay around the main characters. If you want a quieter or more personal experience, pick some place in the galaxy and try to make your hole (although in time, be sure the Imperium or some Xenos will come knocking at your door).
For the rest, it's a sandbox, so the galaxy is your oyster!

Player's turn structure

Ideally, I would like a structure along this:
- First, the character's sheet, updated from previous turn
- The actions you takes for the 10 / 50 years
- The consequences you expect from it, and the rolls you need if so

My schedule and motivation are both fickle, so I won't promise a very regular game, but we can at least give a try.
Oh, and if you catch the game after it started, feel free to join anyway!

I will create an IC thread once we have some players here.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 11:24:40 am by Ixarys »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: The Perpetuals - Warhammer 30k (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 06:51:47 am »

Oh hey, I was in Sindari. Time to remake Masamune, I suppose.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 08:16:09 am »

Is this going to be RP heavy or mechanics heavy? or a mixture of both?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 10:13:13 am »

Is this going to be RP heavy or mechanics heavy? or a mixture of both?

Depends, the turns are pretty mechanics focused, while events are totally RP (rolls aside).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 08:50:48 pm »

PTW! I'll consider how I want to join.

If I pick a starting world which doesn't have lore for it, should I give a description for the world or let the GM do that?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 09:46:18 pm »

Looks fun! Just one question, is it okay to start 'teamed up', on the same world with another player, or no?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 10:11:05 pm »

(New Sindari-type game)
Nice.

Spoiler: Arril Votekka (click to show/hide)

By the way do we want a Discord for this?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 06:41:51 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 12:04:02 am »

Spoiler: Aurelius Artifex (click to show/hide)

Edited to include skills
Edited again to change some skills and add more info on Mancora
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:58:01 pm by The Canadian kitten »

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 03:03:41 am »

If I pick a starting world which doesn't have lore for it, should I give a description for the world or let the GM do that?

You can describe the world if you want to create a custom one!

Looks fun! Just one question, is it okay to start 'teamed up', on the same world with another player, or no?

Yes, it's entirely okay and even encouraged! In lore Perpetuals often end up teaming.

By the way do we want a Discord for this?

Yeah sure, if it's easier! Here's the link: https://discord.gg/SeUMRDnEBw

Also, Arril Votekka and Aurelius Artifex characters are validated.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 03:26:59 am »

Hmm, two crafters already, so here's my initial sheet, subject to a lotta change. The world choice isn't a canon world or on the interactive map, which I hope is okay? If not, I'll figure something out.
Spoiler: Aria Ironheart (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 02:05:40 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 03:33:36 am »

Hmm, two crafters already, so here's my initial sheet, subject to a lotta change. The world choice isn't a canon world or on the interactive map, which I hope is okay? If not, I'll figure something out.

As said above, creating a custom world is fine, don’t worry!

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 05:30:38 am »

Hello everyone, here’s an update.
We will wait a few more days before beginning, some players are waiting their account to be validated before creating their character.

I also had fruitful discussions on the Discord about the rules, so here are some changes:

Spoiler: Sway Update (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Skill Update (click to show/hide)

As Glass rightfully indicated, while it made sense that Sindari were blank sheets, the Perpetuals are not. So your character now have starting points to distribute at the beginning of your game. Distribute 5 attributes points as you wish, and create 4 skills with a level 5, to express your character's past / activities.

Spoiler: Crafting Update (click to show/hide)

The Sway, Skill and Starting Points are added in the rules above.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 03:25:23 pm by Ixarys »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 02:18:58 pm »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 02:21:03 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 03:29:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 03:56:26 am by Devastator »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 09:14:47 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:17:38 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: [1] 2 3