Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CYODU Gridhood (Was originally an April Fools joke)  (Read 729 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
CYODU Gridhood (Was originally an April Fools joke)
« on: April 01, 2024, 12:30:06 am »

Welcome to the world of Create your own dang update Gridhood!

I found that a lot of players really like Gridhood, but the game invariably comes to an unceremonious halt when the GM ceases to update it for whatever arbitrary reason. There have been some 'lazy GM' approaches before where the GM would offload some of the work onto the players, but for some inexplicable reason this did nothing to enchance the game's longevity. This time, instead of half-assing the game, lets try not even doing any percentage of the ass at all and see how that works!

For those who are not in the know, Gridhood is a game where players either take on the role of a God that creates a world, or a civilization that tries to collect food if they are smart, and starves and dies if they are not.

Here is a good example of a previous Gridhood game.
And here is another good example.
And here is another bad example.

In order to retain the purity of the no GM status of the game, I will not be making any other posts in this thread whatsoever, and will not answer any questions about the game. In the event that there is something that you do not understand, either ask another player or use your imagination and figure it out. Its probably a good idea to talk to other players about how game rules should work or something. The most important thing is to have fun, and don't forget to starve!

Here is a blank Gridhood Grid that you can use if you want.

If you would prefer to play a more traditional Gridhood game that does have an active GM as of today, Click here to go to the current Gridhood game that I am GMing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:10:16 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYODU Gridhood
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 12:59:31 am »

Borr, The god of Stone and Mountains has awoken!

He creates a Mountain range on E4 and E5, spending 2 out of his 5 starting FP! It would have costed double, but since Mountains falls under his domain, it is thusly reduced.

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
  • A big nerd for designing things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 02:01:54 am »

Yish'Tra, The god/dess of Grain and Grasslands has awoken!

They see the work of Borr, and cast a large, verdant field of Grasslands to the West beside the Mountain range on C4, C5, D4, and D5. Hoping the efforts of both stone and grain can soon offer a cradle for civilization, though there is much work to do ahead of them.

Yish'Tra hopes for the cooperation of Borr to grow a potential Civilization together.

They also wonder out loud to Borr, if they were to make the Mountain's weather change to Rain, could the runoff cause a River to appear on their Grasslands to the West, providing clean water and potentially fish for a Civilization? It was hard for both of them to create Water landscapes after all, at least currently without a God for it, so they'd have to get creative.

4 of 5 FP used, 1FP remaining

Created Tiles
Grasslands: C4, C5, D4, D5

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:49 am »

Borr, agrees to Yish'Tra's plot, and adds a special property to his Mountain on E4, Causing frequent Rains, which spread off of it down to the Plains below!  If it were in his Domain it would have costed 2 FP, but since the special propety is outside of his domain, costs 3 instead! Borr is out of FP for the time being, but will gain more by civilizations paying tribute through prayer, or will naturally gain +2 after 3 posts by other users (1/3 Posts)

Created tiles
Mountains: E4 (Special Property: Constant Raining), E5
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 04:39:15 am by Megam0nkey »

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 02:44:18 am »

Yish'Tra would use their remaining 1 FP to modify the Grasslands of D4 into a River with the assistance from Borr's Raining Mountain to reduce the cost of such an endeavor.

Yish'Tra hopes with this action, a civilization will have everything it needs to begin in their lands.

1 of 1 FP used, 0 FP remaining
Yish'Tra is out of FP for now, but more could be gained through prayers of civilizations, otherwise, they will naturally regain 2 FP after 3 posts by other users (1/3 Posts)

Created Tiles
Grasslands: C4, C5, D5
Rivers: D4 (East to West)

OOC: If this isn't right holler at me! I'm new to the forums as a whole so I'm trying my best to learn.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:46:21 am by Oakrose905 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 09:51:32 am »

Finburuu Ota, Deity of Waters arises from the core. They create a Coral Ocean, Warm Ocean, Cold Ocean, and Swift Current Oceans at F6, F5, F7, and E6/G6.

0 FP Remaining.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 12:00:19 pm »

Finburuu Ota, Deity of Waters arises from the core. They create a Coral Ocean, Warm Ocean, Cold Ocean, and Swift Current Oceans at F6, F5, F7, and E6/G6.

...are those special in any way, or are they just reskinned basic ocean tiles?

It's pretty hard to tell what people are actually doing when there's no concrete rules. It appears that you start with 5 FP, and that basic tiles are 2 FP, and special tiles are 3 FP, and that doing something within your domain gives a 1 FP discount?

I suggest we should probably hammer out a formal ruleset before actually trying to play.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Oakrose905

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2024, 12:27:07 pm »

...are those special in any way, or are they just reskinned basic ocean tiles?

It's pretty hard to tell what people are actually doing when there's no concrete rules. It appears that you start with 5 FP, and that basic tiles are 2 FP, and special tiles are 3 FP, and that doing something within your domain gives a 1 FP discount?

I suggest we should probably hammer out a formal ruleset before actually trying to play.

I'm not sure lol, this is my first god game on this forum (I'm new, less than a week of being here) so i'm just copying what I see and apply it to my own domain. While also trying to experiment with what we can do (hence why I asked Borr to make it rain in one of his Mountains so that I could make a River in one of my Grasslands.

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2024, 12:42:39 pm »

Yeah probably, lemme come up with something for gods

What I suggest is that maybe Terrain costs 2fp, Adding a specialty to a tile like a Nonmagical unique quirk or propety (like constant weather, or special features of a tile like a river) is 3 fp (with adding power and strength to whatever effect or applied is increased by multiples of 3), Supernatural quirks are the same, but for 6fp (with increasing effects on multiples of 6)

Maybe you can create artifacts or something for civilizations for 10fp, or damage/heal a civilizations workers for 3fp.

And also create creatures that inhabbit a tile. 3 for a bunch of non supernatural ones, 6 for a bunch of somewhat supernatural ones, and 9 for 1 Legendary beast

But thats just a idea

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2024, 01:14:12 pm »

Basic terrain is usually 1 FP no matter the game. Given there is a ton of pace on the map. Gods get 1 FP every update.
Fish, animals, and such usually come part and parcel though.

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2024, 01:46:28 pm »

fair enough

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2024, 02:18:22 pm »

I'm not sure lol, this is my first god game on this forum (I'm new, less than a week of being here) so i'm just copying what I see and apply it to my own domain. While also trying to experiment with what we can do (hence why I asked Borr to make it rain in one of his Mountains so that I could make a River in one of my Grasslands.

Yeah, we chatted on the General AR discord. I see you've made your tenth post and lost Loonie status; welcome!

Since the game has no GM whatsoever, I'm pretty sure "what we can do" is just "what everyone else will let you get away with".

Here's my attempt at ironing out some rules. Obviously, none of it is binding, and I still haven't figured half of it out (like how do aspects work lol), but I thought it may be interesting as a starting point.

Spoiler: General (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Playing as a Deity (click to show/hide)
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2024, 02:57:46 pm »

Perhaps aspects could work as simply reducing Features both mundane and supernaturals costs by 1, depending on if it alligned with their aspect? Like a god of storms can easily add some permenant adverse weather, only costing 2 fp, but making this area  prone to sinkholes would cost 3? Only features though, since Tiles already only cost 1 fp you dont want a god to suddenly cover the entire world in desert if hes the god of sand.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2024, 03:07:03 pm »

That may work. It could even be cumulative - the discount applies to the base cost, so a Tier 2 effect would only be 4 FP instead of 6.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2024, 03:07:35 pm »

Being honest, being gods of something is flavoring, rather than mechancial.
Pages: [1] 2