Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 189

Author Topic: Migrursut: What Comes After The World Ends? [Epilogue] (A Community Fort)  (Read 376683 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Migrursut: Goodness is a Choice (A Community Fort)
« Reply #2415 on: July 13, 2010, 08:14:32 pm »

From the files of Aryn Estetar
1st of Granite, 1073

YES, BY EVERYTHING GOOD IN THIS CURS- [what follows is smeared ink and the red stains of wine for at least a paragraph]

-el is almost completed.  Another year?  Maybe two, at the most?  The coin-flow is coming from my pockets, from the shops, from the trades, from my stocks, from that 'acquired' from the Fishers... Sulari has her hands in the pot, certainly, but does she have the coin to pay them to do other work?

Of course not... of course not.  So much to do.  Already they're constructing the furniture, and the doors, and the floodgates in case anything goes wrong.  It shouldn't, Oh, no, it shouldn't, Roaroak has assured me of this.  At the most, it will be all the rotten food that goes to waste sitting down there when I stop productions completely in the main fortress.  Dojango, and his small army of brewers can hall glass and bolt it into place.  We have enough water to last, and food to eat, that it should not be an issue before this is completely... more, more -- I've even got the children hauling away loose debris!  Those catterwalling little snotrags are of some use to me, finally!  If Crispin insists on popping out more, than I will assure anyone who asks, the second they can walk, they can haul.

There are distractions, of course.  But nothing that can't be wrangled into submission.  Some claim there's...a ghost hovering near the whorehouse in the wastes.  Absurdities, of course; ghosts do not exist.  If they did, they would not need to reanimate the corpses of horrors to punish us.  Why would patrons of that sin-den be scared of ghosts, anyway?  They're immaterial!  They can not harm you!  Idiots!  IDIOTS!

Current Blueprints: Going well, so well, oh, so well...

[Some ink is all that remains; the bottom half of the journal page has been ripped out, leaving only tattered edges]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:11 pm »

Aryn seems to be going a little mad.

No, wait, that's just him being drunk. My mistake.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »

A ghost, hanging about near Dodik's? Which poor soul has returned to us from the beyond... ;D
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:20 pm »

A ghost, hanging about near Dodik's? Which poor soul has returned to us from the beyond... ;D

Were I to guess i'd say it's the ghost of Stavitch's eye, returning to leer.

(yes I saw the goblin)
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:25 pm »

Were I to guess i'd say it's the ghost of Stavitch's eye, returning to leer.

Hahaha, that is now what it is!  Now to tweak the goblin RAWs to reflect it...

Also: slowness and a... very surprising result caused a save-scum setback when I managed to kill ten named Dwarves tonight.  Oops.  Teehee!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 14, 2010, 08:59:01 pm »

I'm guessing...death by water or death by Stravitch
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »

I'm guessing...death by water or death by Stravitch

Now I'm interested to see how many Stravitch could actually take out... this calls for experimentation! 

And my history with water taints my future actions :( 

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 15, 2010, 07:59:31 am »

There should be one of those survey's online covering this, like "How many Justin Bieber's could you take in a fight?", except it would be, "How many Stravitch's/Grov's could you take in a fight".

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #2423 on: July 15, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

How many Stravitches could I take in a fight?  Somewhere around .01, I'd wager.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 16, 2010, 06:53:14 am »

It would ask you a heap of questions, then say "You couldn't beat any Stravitches in a fight. You are a sissy."
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 16, 2010, 02:57:06 pm »

Finally managed to read all the way through this.  This is an amazing story! 

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:25 pm »

The events of the 2nd of Slate, 1073

The stench of death assailed Jools as soon as he reached the shops and kitchens.  It reeked, the entire floor did, and he saw Dwarves scurrying about with kerchiefs wrapped around their faces in an attempt to block it out.  Some had gotten more creative in their attempts by smearing fish remains into their mustaches.  "Idiots," he thought to himself.  He willed himself to ignore the smell, one he'd experienced many times in his career as a soldier, and plodded up the steps to the surface.

It was pandemonium topside. 

This, in itself, wasn't an all-together surprising event.  Running, screaming, crying, the humming din of flies, it was almost par for the course.  A monthly event, a form of relief in this terrible environment.  But this was different.  Dwarves were hugging the cliff side, vomiting out the contents of their stomachs into the nearly-drained magma vent.  The Nobles, including Aryn and Sulari, were huddled together by the main gate, confirming together with their heads bowed.  Curious.  Quite curious.

What rocked him to his core was seeing the Elves, drenched in sweat and sick and blood, stumbling about as if in a daze.  They were a wreck, their hollow eyes testament to terrible horrors. 

"What has happened," he said as one of them neared him, his voice barely above a whisper.  The elf looked up at him with his glassy eyes, dead to the world.

"Poison," came the response.  His voice was flat, none of the musical clarity that usually came with their words.  "Poison in the grain."
"In the grain?  What are you talking about?"
"The barrels of feed you keep near the gates.  It was... it was tainted."

The merchant swept his hand back behind him, gesturing at the vast expanse of stones, towards the zoo and the trade depot.  The camels that had carted in the goods to trade lay sprawled on the tiles, their guts dangling from their mouths.  Blood pools underneath their heads, and great gouts of black flies gathered near their steaming, reeking bodies.  When his eyes rose higher, he saw the cloud hovering over top the zoo.  The enormity of it hit him like a sledge-strike to the sternum. 

"The zoo, oh no, those poor caged animals... oh, no, the donkeys..!"

His armor clattered together as he sprinted towards one of the doors.  As he plowed through them the stench hit him almost as a wall itself, so thick he could taste it in the back of his throat.  It looked like the inside of a slaughter house.  Blood and intestines were sprayed everywhere, leaking out from behind the bars of the cages.  The great Leopard was the only survivor, and it snarled and paced in its cage, terrified by all the death around it.  He supposed he should free it, but his legs were leaden, and he could take no more than a few steps forward before collapsing onto his knees. 

Slowly he lowered his head into his hands.  Sobs racked his body at the senseless horror that surrounded him. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:32:15 pm by Heavy Flak »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 19, 2010, 10:58:04 pm »

FPS issues, I Presume?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 20, 2010, 08:18:58 am »

FPS issues, I Presume?

You would presume correct, though it would be just terrible of me not to turn something like that into a story update that effects the fortress.  That's me, a ray of writing sunshine :)

How many Stravitches could I take in a fight?  Somewhere around .01, I'd wager.

Would that be, like, an eye?  Or a fistful of oily chest hair as you tried to claw away?

Finally managed to read all the way through this.  This is an amazing story! 

Thanks, a lot!  I love hearing from new readers; I understand with the size of this thread it's... well, daunting is an understatement, but to you (and anyone just lurking), I'm glad you're enjoying it. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:48 am »

How much did that help your FPS, anyway?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 189