Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 109

Author Topic: Halltraded succession game, (finished). (40d)  (Read 190441 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Halltraded succession game. Now alcohol free!! (40d)
« Reply #1320 on: October 31, 2010, 05:43:37 pm »

I second the motion (LOL soo punny!)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 31, 2010, 11:53:14 pm »

Possible theories on the fact:

A) Human is a thief for goblins, thus a snatcher.

B) Someone haven't noticed elven diplomat getting killed in one or other hillarious way.

Oh my gods, bowmen! Quick, raise the babies!

Or the elves have gone crazy from being underground ;)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 02, 2010, 01:10:28 am »

First time I'm fighting elves, so I just found out they don't trigger traps.... interesting....

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 02, 2010, 07:43:54 am »

Wait, what?  ???

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:40 am »

First time I'm fighting elves, so I just found out they don't trigger traps.... interesting....
Does that mean they went for control room in old Halltraded?  ???
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 02, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »

sorry, no I meant to say that they are not caught by weapon or cage traps..

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 02, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »

Haxxor?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:43 pm »

sorry, no I meant to say that they are not caught by weapon or cage traps..
I just assumed that they've avoided traps at dam entrance, I believe that one is closest to the obsidian farm. I fought goblins there during my turn.
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 02, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »

23th of limestone: The elves came in two waves, there was a large group near the obsidian factory as reported, but there was also a smaller group that had already made it to the power platform exit.  We expected the first small wave to be caught by the weapon traps, but they avoided them skillfully. The elven traders that have visited over the years must have inspected our defences well. This was disastrous, the military was still far away, and the elves appeared in the middle of a currently busy part of the fortress, where many dwarves were busy hauling stone. 

Lokum Graspingtorch, our new and inexperienced mayor was present at the scene, she immediately took charge, and rallied a group of three nearby dwarves, all inexperienced in combat. They fought bravely against the elves: Lokum herself killed three elves, and they managed to hold back the invaders untill the military arrived. I must admit that I had greatly underestimated Lokum, when she was elected a few weeks ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While the battle was raging deep in Halltraded, two new human snatchers were caught at the main entrance. this can be no coincidence, I've never heard of humans cooperating with goblins, at least not here, in Halltraded.

Considering the forces suddenly raised against us we have done well, Datan is still on our side, we have only suffered the loss of one citizen, shot by an elven bowman.

Haxxor?
OOC: I don't know, I've never fought elves before, but I don't remember reading that they have trap-avoid. Also, none of the elves have names, they are all just "elf wrestler" or "elf bowman" as you can see in the earlier screenshot. I should note that the human snatchers all seem to have avoided our traps at the entrance.  The elves in the new screenshot have all come through the entrance at the right. you can see that they have not triggered the traps.

Edit: problem has been solved savegame deleted

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:53:16 pm by Bralbaard »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 02, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »

I've searched the wiki and found that they should not be 'trapavoid', my raws are same as on wiki.
But as I've said I had a battle at that place too, dwarves were trying to store items/reload traps and so on despite the fact there still were goblins. I believe I've forbidden everything there and maybe I've forgotten to unforbid them. Maybe they didn't load them properly because of this.
Have you tried to lure elves to other places?

edit: And you know, those weapon traps aren't too powerful so it's possible that they've dodged them.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:36:09 pm by Di »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: November 02, 2010, 04:38:04 pm »

I know that goblins were caught in those traps earlier this year, going over the traps with 't' to show their content indicates that the items in it are all scheduled to be dumped which is odd, but they are not forbidden. they're also indicated with a white [ B ] not sure what that means, probably that it's part of a building. As mentioned, the human thieves also seem to have trap avoid, those came in through the main entrance, those cages have no dump-scheduled items. My raws should be the same as vanilla 40d, at least that's what I downloaded from the DF site.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: November 02, 2010, 08:02:51 pm »

They most likely avoided the traps because a diplomat or liaison saw them. If you want to counteract this effect, just replace the traps that are there.
Elves do not have trap avoid, and the white B just means that the item is a permanent part of the building.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: November 03, 2010, 01:07:03 am »

Is DF so complex that it incorporates liasons scouting for traps? thats... incredible.
I think there might be a possibility that I may accidently have a mod installed, I know I did play Legendary lands in 40d, I would not expect that to be compatible though. Will need to check that later today.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:09:22 am by Bralbaard »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 03, 2010, 01:10:56 am »

This would be the case if they were from Grizzly Empire, but hadn't humans come to trade in the summer?
Also I've searched the legends and found that during summer elves declared a war to Lashes of Squashing (our civ) but the reason is unknown. There isn't any mentions about humans however.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »

Apparently I had the 'relentless assault mod" installed. That would explain a lot of the weird stuff that has happened. Fun fact: The folder I was playing in, that had relentless assault installed, is named "DF vanilla 40d" while my vanilla DF folder is named "DF 40d relentless assault"  :o.
I had a couple of facepalm moments when I discovered that. 

Anyhow I've copied the savegame to a freshly installed 40d folder, just to be on the safe side. It seems to run fine.

This would be the case if they were from Grizzly Empire, but hadn't humans come to trade in the summer?
Also I've searched the legends and found that during summer elves declared a war to Lashes of Squashing (our civ) but the reason is unknown. There isn't any mentions about humans however.

The human caravan never came this summer, the elves however did arrive in spring, and trading was perfectly normal, however, the war with the elves was most likely caused by the mod. I'm quite sure that the humans did send the snatchers, but if what you say is true we may still be friends. Anyhow, I'm sorry about all this, we have two options: replay the year in normal 40d, or continue with the current save, at war with the elves, and possibly humans.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:29:56 pm by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 109