Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 109

Author Topic: Halltraded succession game, (finished). (40d)  (Read 190436 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halltraded succession game. Now alcohol free!! (40d)
« Reply #1365 on: November 18, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »

I have removed you elf problem, I think. I fiddled with DC and removed him from existence. I will upload the save in a moment.

I have the save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3434

Thanks!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 18, 2010, 04:40:31 pm »

Journal of Zrk2, Manager, Minister of the Interior, Annalist of Halltraded

11th Granite, 320

I am now officially manager of Halltraded, with that I have also secured the posts of Minister of the Interior and Annalist. The hoardmaster is some peasant named "NtheSomething-or-other" who appears to have had previous experience commanding, yet has fallen into poverty. He now owes his position to me and I could ruin him at any time due to knowledge of certain indiscretions he and the Countess engaged in.

I am working on instituting a system of sweeping economic reforms, such as:

1. Private home ownership: The masses want to claim to possess somewhere and be able to keep their junk from being stolen. To that end I am having 40 private holes-in-the-wall created for them.
2. Mass Production: The number of workshops is going to be radically increased and stockpiles are going to be created near them, the current system is much too spread out. Also, metal production is being increased even more dramatically.
3. Role Models: I am having rooms prepared for me, as dwarves need an example of something to aspire to.
4. Self Sufficiency: As much as I love the non-intrusive method of goblinite use, I don't want all metal production to rely on continued stupidity on the part of the goblins, unlikely as that is to change, I am going to have a regimented system of exploration for new ores instituted soon.
5. Bread and circuses is the method of dictatorial happiness. I am starting to work on that, but food production is close to zero as far as I can tell, and a hungry populace is a rebellious populace. So food production will be started soon, a zoo will hopefully be built, which will also allow them to marvel at the horrors we have overcome. And the economy will be kickstarted.
6. WTF is with these people and tombs? There are more tombs than beds.
7. Somehow that hole that was just drained is now filling again... Oh well!

Now I must return to my Machiavellian travails to ensure that I hold this position long enough to be irreplacable...

21st Granite, 320

We were just sieged by some goblins. They entered through an unused maintenance tunnel for some system of axles. Fortuneatley the squad was travelling through there on their way somewhere else and were promptly locked in vicious hand to hand fighting. It was a Stalingrad-like affair. We suffered no casulties but there were certainly chances. Escaped was an elite bowgoblin. We need to seal these extra entrances, they are very dangerous. I am having the corpses cleared out of there to make sure the axles do not jam in the future.

ANd now a dragon has arrived. Shit! What the Armok shall I do?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:08:16 am by Zrk2 »
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 19, 2010, 01:32:20 am »

Don't worry, 40d Dragons are complete pushovers.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 19, 2010, 12:00:30 pm »

So true.

Third Slate, 320

While I was in my room gibbering I saw one of our champions named Dodok walk by muttering something about 'Stupid friggin crafters... "OHMYGAWD ITS A DRAGON!!! WAAAAAAH!!!" Shut up! I'll go deal with it myself.' ANd suprisingly she did, bludgeoned it to death with a bronze mace that was WRAPPED IN LEATHER!!! I better make sure I don't piss off these guys. Also, trying to figure out why someone used all the iron to build some cathedral. I am tearing those blocks out so we can get back to smelting until my exploratory mining pays off. Also, one it is re-roofed it is going to become a zoo. And my plans for my rooms have been completed, my tomb is going slowly, despite its' lack of  compensationing. And the workshop area has been redesigned to be much more efficient.

*Now I'm out, M*A*S*H is on!*

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 19, 2010, 03:34:16 pm »

Also, trying to figure out why someone used all the iron to build some cathedral. I am tearing those blocks out so we can get back to smelting until my exploratory mining pays off. Also, one it is re-roofed it is going to become a zoo.

Wait, you are tearing the roof of the holy cathedral of Datan and turning it into a zoo?, You heathen!  ;D

I guess that means that the dwarves are also back to the blasphemous habit of drinking alcohol then? :)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 19, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »

Wait, you've built the holy cathedral of Datan out of iron? You heathen!  :D
Even those pathetic nobles prefer silver, gold and platinum and you've built a gift to a god from former goblin boots!
No wonder that Datan was mad at his priest at the end of year.  :D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »

Ah, yes, that's where things must have gone wrong  :). I couldn't help it however, iron was in the high priests personal preferences (I just didn't have enough native gold lying around)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sometimes I think I'm taking this "play in character" thing to seriously.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

Yeah, the lack of iron bars lead to me tearing down the upper levels for bars for the new legendary armorsmith (Yes!!!) and myself, the legendary weaponsmith.

20th Hematite, 320

Well, the temple built by that fool before me is now a dining room/zoo and I learned he built the upper levels out of iron bars! I promptly had him labelled a geretic and shunned. The upper levels are being dismantled to provide bars for my smiths. The humans came and I cleaned them out for everything except two anvils. Why do we have so many anvils? My predecessors are all insane.

My tomb has been built, it is a rather disturbing place. Felsite and then it is coated with peat mud. I built several felsite and schist statues to add to the weird effect. I line of obsidian statues flank my tomb, a golden sarcophagus, it looks very out of place in the mud.

Also, the workshops have been streamlined. Also the previous trader died in an accident caused by poor masonry practices, idiots.

We now have a legendary armoursmith, he created some bronze shield, prehaps it will help someone. Who cares if it does though.

I am troubled. A child fell and harmed himself in the process. He will be a vegetable for the rest of his life, however short it is. As I wrote this word came that the coffin was in place in the room he is staying in and the bed is currently being hauled out. I have arrived at his door. I slip the key in and lock it. "Poor bastard..." I mutter to myself turning to go back to my endless paperwork. He was child of one of the previous barons. His mother became Count Consort before dying, four of his seven siblings are already dead. Nobility is truly becoming a thing of the past... I have returned to my books, I tell my record keeper NtheGreat to put a dash through his name and close the door to my study. For all I thought rulership of this pit would be worthwhile I wonder; Counting the dead, wondering how everything here works, yelling at idiots not to kill each other and dismantling previous despot's idiotic creations and planning my place in the necropolis that is this pit.

For all that I must hold on to power for as long as I can, if only to keep some tyrant from seizing the power. Only those who don't want power deserve to have it. I wonder what that means for me.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »

17 Sandstone, 320

The dwarven caravan has come and gone. I bought booze, bars and some exotic nuts. The workshops have been fully opened up and more have been installed.

My tomb is almost complete, all that remains is to see that the mechanisms are properly co-ordinated, I think the honour of pulling the levers to seal it in case of my death shall go to that idiot Thorvak.

Speaking of which, his giant iron phallus continues in its' destruction. The main temple roof has been removed and the tower is coming down as well. A section of it collapsed yesterday. A miner-in-training died along with a woodcutter, at least that is it so far. I am off to another round of door lockings, bloody tyrant couldn't build his bloody temple in a safe manner... Another child has had his door locked, and so has some leatherworker who only wanted an excuse to see where it was hes actually lived.

I feel that this fortress cannot hope to live much longer, the inhabitants count their ancestors more important than their descendants. Ask those from Numenor how that ends. All in all I feel I have the most morose outlook as everyone else simply ignores this fact. Simply put more work goes into ensuring the safety of their afterlives than goes into surviving in this life. When I am interred I ask that the ruler of that time has the two levers in my tomb pulled. The Southern one first, if you want everything to work right. Also, our dear founder Bralbaard has had his tomb filled with water to see that it is never ransacked, then the doors were walled over.

I must now return to trying to run this hole.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 21, 2010, 05:53:52 am »

Hey what about barons? And more importantly about their consorts?

Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 23, 2010, 03:41:05 pm »

8th Obsidian, 320

The other day the deposed ruler Maggarg died in a mining accident. These dwarves have obviously not heard of safety precautions. Moreso, he punched a hole into my tomb! Not to future rulers, when I have been laid to rest pull the lever marked for pulling and then channel out the stopper on the east obsidian maker. DO NOT USE IT UNTIL THEN!

A skeletal deer and its' zombie fox sidekick broke into the fort today. They killed Demonic Spoon before assaulting a firefighter and some other guy no one cares about. I have scrambled the champions, headed by the dragon slayer, to break this ghastly invasion force. The corpse of Demonic spoon has not yet been laid to rest. Is this fort secretly full of demon worshipers or something?

Also some serf has been possessed and sits in his workshop making cryptic demands. I sent our marksdwarf in training to keep an eye on the situation.

This fort is going to shit. I am going to quit as soon as spring arrives. Let the factions fight it out to see who will rule. I think the dungeon master has the proper view of this fort. To him it is all a game, he hangs out in his room crammed with esoteric objects and ancient lore and laughs at the travails of those of us crazy enough to rule. Soon that shall be me, Unless the pathos gets to me and I make certain my dying wishes are carried out.

(Seriously, if my avatar was not the only legendary weaponsmith I would definitely kill it off at the end of the year. Do you think I still could? We have plenty of weapons but it never hurts to have a smith who can puke out exceptional iron battle axes for export. What do you guys think?)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 23, 2010, 09:05:48 pm »

Turn done. Save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3475

1st Early Spring, 321

I quit! I give up my attempts to run this pit! For all I care it can go to hell just so long as I survive long enough to properly be ensconced in my tomb. Let the other fools fight it out for dominance in this place. I am still manager to make sure I am not eliminated by some future ruler hoping to cement his claim. Have fun with it, you fools.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »

I would like to join in again, got the hang to succession games again atm :)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 23, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »

Maggarg is dead? And Demonic Spoon in one update?!?  :'(

Sounds like Ziriltharnas was injured as well.  Damn that sucks.

Anyway, map?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 24, 2010, 01:05:59 am »

The great Maggarg, our legendary miner dies "in a mining accident"?
hmmmm suspicious...  ;)
She was the last of the founding seven, the fortress will not be the same without her..

I've PM'ed the corpse of Demonic Spoon that it's turn has arrived, hopefully there's a skilled necromancer around.
I'll add eviltwin to the list.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 01:11:19 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 109