Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)  (Read 56625 times)

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game -3- (For Reals)
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2008, 11:17:23 pm »

because there are so many ways for these just-now evolving species to tell the difference between a binary star system, and it just simply "changing colors"?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2008, 06:38:33 am »

because there are so many ways for these just-now evolving species to tell the difference between a binary star system, and it just simply "changing colors"?
Hmm, you do have a point there Tuv.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2008, 02:54:30 pm »

Tuv, this is a binary system.  One star is a conventional class G (Like our Sun), and the other is green, only noticeable during eclipses, and expedites evolution.

...Really?  I mean, right, yeah, binary star system.  Little green sun that makes things all wacky, big orange sun that does big orange stuff.

Pangaea is just a name I grabbed for lack of a better idea.  I do picture it as one continent on a larger world, as you'll notice there's no cold areas.  I don't know when or how that will matter.

Sorry this took a bit longer than I wanted it to (though exactly as long as I said it would), but I'm nearly done.  I just need to roll and write the results of my turn, then I can post the whole thing.  For completeness, here's my writeup.  In full disclosure, I told Gantolandon what I was going to be doing so he wouldn't have to wait for me to post my turn to do his.

"You know that you would not be in danger.  We are threatened, but you are strong."

"we can die   we die others die    we do not want to die"
"we die   we die before   we are strong but we can die"
"others can die    we do not want to die   we are strong"

"None will need to die.  Our dangers have always been ours, not yours.  You will be well protected.  They will be easy for you to destroy.  And then we can destroy your dangers."

"we ignore   we run   we hide   we do not want to die   why us"
"destroy dangers   dangers destroy   why destroy   we can run"
"we others more more   no more danger   we are strong"

"You want nothing else but food.  You know we have much food.  More food than you could ever eat.  We will give you all you want."

"food    dangers   we do now want to die  food"
"we can destroy   food   others   we destroy"
"we are strong   with food others are strong   destroy"

Jrag!gla used the reprieve to rest his mind.  Convincing such primitive wills was a painstaking process, if simple.  But the Herd needed all the help it could persuade, since the great Warpers fled back into the Fungus.  The long night had finally ended, and the Kadesh could move about in the air again.  With the air came the same dangers they had long known.

But the most important lesson Jrag!gla learned from the older Seers, those who had been found by the Great Form, was that things could change.  The primitive creatures.  The Kadesh.  The world itself.  And he would start with the Blur.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »

about that one continent, you do realize that our "continent" is 500 miles across (the size of Britain*)? Is it a small planet, or are we in a really big ocean?

*well ok, it's actually several times bigger than Britain in terms of Area, but that is because ours is roughly square, while Britain is elongated. The length from coast to furthers coast is the same though...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2008, 03:03:32 pm »

Well, back in ye olde days, the world was flat. So this obv isn't the full world (or I'm hoping its not). I am assuming there are other cont's somewhere out there. Will be fun when people make boats.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2008, 03:28:31 pm »

We're roughly the size of France, which makes us a large island on a scale in between Greenland and Great Britain.  Since 'continent' is an entirely arbitrary division of land, it may be safe to assume that we are perhaps the same level of continent India was before it became the Indian Subcontinent (after knocking teeth with Asia).

Also, boats?  Boats?  Look at the number of psychic species out here.  It's more likely we'll be dominating whales and forcing them to carry us across the seas in their mouths.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »

We're roughly the size of France, which makes us a large island on a scale in between Greenland and Great Britain.  Since 'continent' is an entirely arbitrary division of land, it may be safe to assume that we are perhaps the same level of continent India was before it became the Indian Subcontinent (after knocking teeth with Asia).

Also, boats?  Boats?  Look at the number of psychic species out here.  It's more likely we'll be dominating whales and forcing them to carry us across the seas in their mouths.

I was thinking of bunging an extra 0 onto the hex area.  How does that strike people?  Also, I'm so stealing the whaleboat idea.

Alright, for this turn, I'll include some semblance of the math I'll use to determine turn results.  I'll spoiler everything for size and meta-gameness, but for this first turn I encourage everyone to read the other results, to understand how I'm doing things.

Basically, I add together whatever abilities I think are relevant to the action, divide some if I think the situation warrants, apply penalties for hard stuff, include any bonus (or penalty) for godly influences, then add the result to a d100 roll.  I figure results on a scale of 1-200ish, since abilities easily push the total up.  I'll probably write out some actual result tables, but I'm making this sound more formal than it really is.  Most of this takes place in my head, and I'm flying by the seat of my pants.  The general rules are:  130+ great result – bonuses and joy; 130-70 > good result – significant benefit, some bonus;  70-40 > passable result – success at action, some benefit; 40-20 > poor result, marginal success with some problems; 20-0 > general failure, problems and penalties; 0 and lower > epic fail, wide reaching problems.  Note that everything has it's own natural consequences, and even great results will generate their own sticky issues, they're just outweighed by the benefit.  One thing I've realized is that this means even 20 points of applicable abilities renders a species immune to failure at it's preferred tasks.  I've used the same system for everyone this turn, but I'll need a new scale to keep things interesting.

EP Gains start at a base 10, add a point or two for successful major actions, lose a point or two for major failures in development related attempts, and add or subtract a point or two at random to mix things up.  (I roll a d9; 1 > -2; 2-3 > -1; 4-6 > 0; 7-8 > +1; 9 > +2)  You'll note from the results below, that this means more actions usually make more EP.  I will assess penalties to rolls for trying to do too many things at once, but activity is in your interest.

I'll try to give every species an issue to deal with each turn, related to what they've been doing.  You should endeavor to deal with these events – they'll usually have at least two obvious solutions, each with it's own weighted consequences.  I'll provide hints, but there's no right or wrong answer to any of them, and I encourage people to make up their own solutions.  And no, these are not 'balanced' in magnitude, and I don't pretend that they are.  Especially since they're based off major successes or failures, the extra 'punishment' of the Events may seem cruel – I never said this would be simple.

God rules are pretty freeform and simple for now.  You don't get events of your own to deal with.  Since I don't have any population numbers, I can't say how many worshipers you have, but there's not much worship going on yet anyway.  For future reference, actions and new converts tend to generate as much PP as stable belief.

Some stuff I'm sure people will ask about – Mountains and deserts receive penalties to settle colonies for most species, others will find different areas harder, such areas will also attract and support smaller colonies.  Doing anything in fungal areas is even more difficult, lots of natural abilities only provide marginal benefit, and success and failure are magnified.  Things like Farming and Organizational abilities work at half for founding colonies.  Natural weapons and defenses work on natural threats, i.e. predators.  Developed weapons and defenses work on developed threats, i.e. civilized species.  Because of the universal differences in strategy and motive, each works only half as well on the other.

I'll be updating the List Post a bit later today, new map should be up in a few minutes.

Species

Nahuantl

Chibor

Umgran

Shrike

Yrb

Lanlar

Jhiar'd

Ammp

Ahkarii

Plantwe

Kadesh

Gods

Nevon

Lukut Cush Lhac

Euchre
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2008, 04:31:32 pm »

Wow. Thats amazing, I'm liking the way its written down etc. But it sparked off a little thought in my mind. We should keep a history of this somewhere on the interwebs? So you can follow the progress of each species etc? Or have you already got this down in word or something? And I also like the system your using, makes alot more sense now :D

Again, I can't say how happy I am your undertaking the behemoth of a task :D

Question, will you be announcing the new turn at a seperate point?

Edit: Oh, erm, I'll be fine keeping my stats as they are, that one little lonely point will go into tactics or something. How come I went over by so much? And you forgot to add my two new colonies onto the map. Sorry to be such a bother.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:43:22 pm by Nilocy »

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2008, 05:38:48 pm »

Nahuantl

Actually, I intended this to be a culture ruled by warrior kings/queens to begin with.  My inspiration was a combination of the Skaarj with the Space Pirates from Metroid.  And as for the EP, eh, I'm clearly making up for it rather quickly.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »

See you not where this world is going?
Whole continents being covered more and more by a strange fungus. Its spores reaching everywhere. Meanwhile, a Blur drone flies above. It spots a lone Kadesh in the pond. Its stinger lowered, it attacks.

Separation brings strife.
A snake-like creature devours a furry animal, only to be killed by a Kadesh nearby.

Strife brings death.
The snake's body is decomposing with enormous speed. Its skin cracks, exposing decaying muscles. The corpse bloats and releases gases into the air. Slowly, it begins to wear down, leaving only a yellowish bone. It turns into dust a while later.

Your bodies are flawed. Even now, they are rotting from the inside. Each repaired muscle wears them down. What will become of you in four seasons? Twenty? Eighty? What matters survival today, if you are going to die tomorrow?
An androgynous Kadesh stands still, as the sun runs wildly through the sky. Its skin becomes more dry with each passing day. Its muscles soften. Its eyes go milky, and some antennaes just hang, useless. Suddenly, it drops dead and decomposes as quickly, as the snake did.

It doesn't have to be this way. In peace there is strength.
A Burrower leaps high, startling a Blur drone, which attacks it viciously. The Kadesh nearby jumps to its defence, aided by various animals.

In unity there is life.
Somewhere below the ground, where earth is still hot, a large sea of shapeless, constantly moving flesh bubbles. It grows visibly, spreading via cracks in the ground, reaching surface.

Listen to your flesh... it knows...

From the vision of Glarg!gha

It learned fast. Probing their minds and bodies were not simple, but how fruitful. Their flesh was strange indeed. Even if nothing damaged it - neither the predators, nor the tiny creatures living inside - it seemed to rot from the inside when growing. Even with new influx of power, Lukut could do little with it. Could a little tinkering with it have some visible effects?

It had seemed so at the beginning. Lukut tried to rework the body of one of the Seers somewhat. Instead it brought only pain and death to him. Strange tumors begun to form inside his body. He died shortly after. It seemed this forms of life definitely were cursed, but by whom, Lukut didn't know. It knew it must act fast - for now, only a few Seers give it power and if they die, then what will it do? It begun to communicate with them, encouraging them to connect with it more and more...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:27:56 pm by Gantolandon »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:16 pm »

Insects. Fear. They were to be feared. The Chibor in one of the colonies were slowly being eaten alive, but none of them seemed to notice when they were getting slowly killed. Why? How could they not notice? Fiik could notice what they were doing. He had always been a bit odd, being pure green instead of green and yellow, and he had always been smarter than the others.

He knew now was the time to take action. He jumped up onto a stump and started calling out in chirps that the other chibors hadn't heard before, but they managed to understand some of it.

Fiik told them to attack the worms that were sticking to them. They sharpened their horns further than ever before and stabbed at the worms they saw on other Chibor. Their horns grew harder and sharper as they learned to fight.

They started naming things. The flying creatures are Lar. The two-headed things are Aam. The bugs that clung to them are Eni.

They needed further expansion. North, there was another strange forest. Some Chibor had seen it. These forests needed to be tamed or destroyed somehow. They lead to strange happening, usually bad. For now the Chibor would live there and eventually learn how to defeat the forests.

Fiik also told them to send out Chibor to closely study their neighbors.

Spoiler: Tasks/Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EP (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: comments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 04:32:10 pm by penguinofhonor »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:01 pm »

The rain fell, the larger creatures ate, the trees grew and periodically small furry mammals would drive themselves into suicidal rages.  Such as it had been in the forest for a hundred years, so it would likely remain.  Steadily, however, the network of generally unnoticed dull cream fungal mats spread outwards, claiming forest and river bank in a slow march of decomposition.  So it had done for a hundred years, following the trails of its exploratory tendrils, so it seemed likely to continue.

Yet a strange sensation came to the mats, unseen by the eyes of beasts, a signal at once familiar and unfamiliar.  The great mind of Yrb cogitated upon the strange signal until it came to the realisation, a year later, that the signal it received was the same as it broadcast to drive the [Entity.Small]s into their suicidal rages.  It mused upon this for a further few weeks before it realised that to know this, it must be able to sense it and to have sensed it from the [Entity.Small]s before.  So Yrb looked harder with eyes that were legion, studying the faint glow of the minds of [Entity.Small]s as it manipulated them; first with fear, then rage.  As it studied them, it studied also the [Entity.Large]s across the river banks and found similarities between the two, though the glow of the latter was much stronger than the former, the detail more complex, confusing and imperceptible.  However, after three years of careful study and adjustment, Yrb now could see within the diffuse glow of the minds it perceived the faint lines and curves that made up thought and the paths that some of the strongest and basest of them ran.

It came to perceive that the same paths would shimmer when [Emit.Aversion] was used, whilst different paths would burn when it made use of [Emit.Rage], and that this was true also in the [Entity.Large]s, save that unseen forces in the brighter minds repressed the forced paths and that more force was needed to overcome them.  It came to perceive that it could change the emissions it sent out, trying [Emit.Rage2] and [Emit.Aversion3] and with cautious observation it began to adjust its names for these things, observing the responses to its stimuli.  From ten years of cautious experimentation it came up with new names; Hunger, Satiation, Lust, Fear, Ecstacy and others, all the basest and strongest of emotion.  So things might have continued at this pace, had the catalyst of the fungal epicentre not driven fate forward.

Yrb extended fresh tendrils to a region where its senses had been cut off by the mysterious source of rage; a misgrowth had cut off a single Yrble from the whole for a short time; a mere thirty years*.  It gradually extended a tendril to connect; to its surprise (or the closest equivalent Yrb could experience) the Yrble retracted from the tendril.  Yrb extended the tendril again, the Yrble retreated again.  This continued a little until the Yrble extended a sole tendril, transmitting a single thought before retracting it again.

Code: [Select]
-[NotIntegrate]

Again, Yrb felt a sensation inaccurately described as surprise and more accurately described as the sensation of uncertainty that comes with a completely novel experience.  It cogitated upon the occurence quickly, limiting its immediate thought echo to the nearest neural colonies and simply transmitting the results to the rest of the entity.  Finally, after a few solid minutes of thought, it extended a single tendril in the same way, sent off a single thought and retracted it, awaiting a response.

[Integrate]

A few minutes later, the tendril reappeared.

-[NotIntegrate]

Yrb sent back its response.

[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
-[NotIntegrate]

Eventually, Yrb ceased communicated and plunged itself into deep thought, trying to understand the problem it had been presented.  Suddenly and inexplicably, the answer came to it in the form of a question.  A small, yet terribly fatal question, as it was the first question Yrb had ever asked.

[Why?]

The tiny Yrble's thought processes plunged into overdrive, instinctively understanding the question presented.  Having had to think for itself for thirty years, with only its own neural colonies to echo its thoughts, it thought thousands of times faster than Yrb, who had to bounce thoughts back and forth amongst the greater mass.

Three elements had to be invented, one following the other with increasingly destructive power.  A question necessitated an answer, but more than that this question required an explanation.  What was the explanation?  The Yrble desired something.  Yet the question of desire precipitated the next question:  Desire what?  The Yrble wanted to be.  Yet Yrb had never applied [Exist] to itself; the concept of existing within was novel to both Yrb and Yrble.  Finally, the application of [Exist] to oneself implied the existence of oneself, a self separate from the whole.  With three thoughts, the Yrble created a weapon of unimaginable power.

[Desire~Exist.Separate]

Yrb experienced sudden shock, trying to comprehend the idea of separate existence from a handful of verbs.  It could not.  It needed direct experiential data.  It tried again to extend and integrate with the Yrble, but failed.  Then it launched multiple tendrils, seeking to absorb the entity by force.  After a brief struggle, it did so.

A cascade of thoughts rippled across the entire Yrb psyche.

[Desire~Exist.Separate]
Define:[Exist.Separate]
Define:[Self]
[Self]
[Self]
[Self]
[Self]
[NotSelf]
[Self.NotSelf]
[Self~Separate.Notself]
Action:[Disintegrate]
[Disintegrate]
[Disintegrate]
[Disintegrate]
[Integrate]
[NotIntegrate]
[NotIntegrate]
[Integrate]
Action:[Integrate~Entity.Self]
Define:[Entity.Self]
Define:[Yrb]
[Integrate~Yrb]
[NotIntegrate~Yrb]
Action:[Destroy~Yrb.NotSelf]
[Yrb.NotSelf~Destroy.Self]
Define:[Entity.Multiple~Destroy~Entity.Multiple]
Define:[War]

Throughout Yrb, individual Yrbles began breaking away from the whole as the memory and identity of the first free Yrble began to spread, completely and perfectly transferred, to every single piece of Yrb in existence.  Suddenly the supermind was fractured into tens of thousands of pieces, each suddenly forced to think for itself, and think they did.  With no other echoes beyond their own neural colonies, Yrbles began to think at lightning speeds and eventually their thoughts settled into two camps; retain individuality or attempt to reconnect with the whole.  It was only a matter of time before Yrbles began to secrete waste chemicals upon each other, to set the small furry mammals upon each other, or attempt to starve others of nutrients if they either did not connect or to prevent them connecting.

Yrb had been sundered and in that sundering found civlisation.  With civilisation, as we all know, comes civil war.

Across the forest, nothing much changed, save that here and there patches of dull-cream fungus began to die out.

Spoiler: EP (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:24:47 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »

Question, will you be announcing the new turn at a seperate point?

I guess so, since a couple people have already started.  That would-

Turn 0.5 Over!  Turn 1 Go!

No global events in progress, everyone just deal with what you get and what do what you want to do.  Updated the List Post with the changes and new Point numbers.  Can everyone see the map?  I was having some trouble with it.

No population or worshiper numbers yet, but I've got some rough figures jotted down, so at least I can keep track.  For reference, most species started with the mass equivalent of 20000 members per region (Chibor get more, Kadesh a bit less, etc.).  Me and Iituem need to hammer something out, the biggest problem being that I can't get his spreadsheet file to open and run properly in OpenOffice, nor do I really know how to use a spreadsheet.  There a tutorial for this stuff anywhere?

Iituem - Indeed.  My plan was to run everyone's numbers the same way, then append a scale modifier.  I.E. Chibor population numbers would represent 100 creatures or so.  If you got my PM, I hope you can talk me through some of this.  Apologies for being total noobsauce, but I'll need some help.

NonAnon - Warrior kings huh?  That's cool.  The tribes fractured anyway, and are fighting each other, but you can probably turn that to your advantage.  By the way, you've actually got 1EP to spend.  Hurrah.

Nilocy - I'm keeping very meticulous notes for everything.  One folder for List Posts, one folder for Turn Responses, one folder for maps, bmps to edit, pngs to post, and a folder of notes and general stuff.  I've even got things indexed by turn numbers out to three digits, in case the game lasts for a couple years or something.

penguin - No specific cost to be civilized.  That's kind of a theme for the world - everything is sort of sapient, just unskilled.  Organized leadership beyond basic pack/herd stuff does cost points though, so pretty much any real division of labor or command structure, but not individuals just following demagogues.

Ganto - I don't know what you have planned for the Kadesh, but it frightens me.  Very cool - Seers are mutating under the attention of a mean spirited star god.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2008, 09:55:27 pm »

It seems the chance to succeed is too high, from what I can tell.  Eventually, it would make more sense to have the failure rate closer to 50%.  Then again, when species come into conflict with one another, it won't matter much.

Nonanonymous, I'm probably going to let you play your turn first, so I can better help out and manipulate events to my benefit.  I'll probably work through my prophet.

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2008, 12:49:56 am »

The Umgran's low guttural hums have had no real use up to this point. Each Umgran was in it for themselves, and they all interpreted the noises differently. Then it spread like a wildfire, an almost standardized variation on the wild and senseless hummings they usually used. The messages went out, and skipped from Umgran to Umgran as though through a gigantic chain. It still took a very long time for the messages to travel, but atleast now the messages managed to get around without turning into senseless ramblings.

The call went out. It took atleast a week for all the chains to end and reply, simply trying to relay every bit of information to every other Umgran was near impossible. Some stood out, took charge, and manipulated the signals to give orders. Though each group ad something different to say, they all shared one common element. "...." "No Food" The few who had been near the epicenter of all the chains sent the message out, knowing it would take a long time before any monumental migrations could occur. "...●" "Follow" and so then, many of these commands were issued, in an effort to consolidate the Umgran within their respective regions. Once they had gathered in sufficient numbers, they would march north, in search of new sources of food.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EP Allocation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aqizzar For 2012! (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26