Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 164

Author Topic: Blockedlance - No More Stops Until Ragnarok!  (Read 419648 times)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
Re: Blockedlance - Grave of a Thousand Dwarves
« Reply #750 on: June 16, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »

Urist finished with her duties in the temple, then headed back to her dining room.  Eberdek was just finishing up.

"Ah still alive, I see!"

"Yes, your majesty," smiled Eberdek awkwardly.  He scurried off as soon as she entered the room.  She had made it known several times before that she didnt like his peasant stink. 

Urist sat down to eat.  Something was missing.  She looked off to the corner.

"Kurk, have you been practicing your rose quartz harp?"

"Yes, your majesty," mumbled Kurk Quorcane, grunge harpist.

"Good....play me something while I eat."

Kurk rolled his eyes as the queen stuffed her face with delicacies.  He had not eaten much more than a couple dried mushrooms in the past few days.  He wearily played his harp for the sick twisted bitch.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 16, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »

That sorta reminds me off that scene in LoTR 3 where Pippin sang for the steward.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:16 pm »

Just my experience, but the cleansing won't help much beyond ten FPS at MOST. You have any dragons left in the world (should have caught the first one)? If you do, catch the next one and tame it. Dump all the goblin stuff in a 1 square tile in a small pit, put the dragon down there. Pit some prisoners. Only one of the items has to catch fire for the rest too, and once they're gone you should see an improvement. Also...this may sound heretical, but turning off temp did wonders for my laptop-i turn it on whenever something heat based is going on (dragons, glaciers, etc), and lava still destroys anything dumped into it that is not magma safe even without temp on-that seems to be hardcoded. Give that a try and see if it improves enough to speed up the atom smashing. I went from only being able to maintain a 50-dwarf fort to being able to support somewhere around 80 with a high FPS that way.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #753 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:45 pm »

Yeah FPS sucks tentacle demon.  But its done that this entire game.  I just chug through it at 6 FPS anyways.  Im on the computer all day for work anyways, so its always on for at least a little bit in the background.  Usually.

Yeah I turn off the temperature when I dont need it too, and the weather and cave-ins.  I also embarked on a tiny ass 3x3.  And I had to make a choice between magma and an underground river, cuz I cant have both.  At the end of the day I really just need to invest some money to upgrade this clunker.  Its about eight years old now.  Probably more.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:14:17 pm by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #754 on: June 16, 2009, 11:36:41 pm »

Spring of 233

We havent had this few dwarves in over twenty years.  Its pretty cool!   ;D

Outside the walls, despair sets in.  In a hopeless gamble to survive, two non-military dwarves that had been caught outside at the time of the demon attack started to dig into the mountainside. 

They had no seeds, no skills in mining or plant gathering or farming.  All they had was the hunger in their bellies.

Eagle could faintly hear the noises of their picks, and feel the vibrations in the stone.  He went outside and snuck around, peering down the mountainside to see what was going on.  It was then that he saw the flooded plain below.

"Holy Mother of Osram!" he shouted.

He had worked on the drainage tunnels as well as the flooding tunnels, thats how he had known how to tap the pipes.  However, seeing them in action was awe-inspiring....and fear-inducing.  This level of engineering had not been seen since the time of the ancients!  Eagle looked over and saw the new rows of windmills.  This place was following in the foot steps of the great Olonkulet, the city that was sealed away well over a thousand years ago, at the beginning of the great dark age.

Would Blockedlance - the great new mountainhome Rifotkubuk - lead the dwarves back to the high path walked by Olonkulet in its golden age?  Or would it lead the world back into a thousand years of demonic darkness, as the great brass city of gears had done? 

Eagle had no answers.  He knew only that he wished to stay safe and sound in his abode.  He would escape the destruction of the world in his hermit cave.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:28 am »

Go Eagle! Hey, has Jazz died yet?

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »

How my relations with the high priestess? has it gotten to Bow chika bow wow(or should I say meow chika meow meow?) stage yet?

Also thanks for the help with the pointers, Although I havent realy felt like learning the language as of late. Sometimes when i read the tut it just seems to drag on and on about something without getting to the point.

That was not a pun, it just sounded like one.
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 17, 2009, 05:38:02 pm »

How's my Dwarf doing, BTW?

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #758 on: June 19, 2009, 10:48:49 am »

Go Eagle! Hey, has Jazz died yet?

Nah, but hes starving.  All the military dwarves are.  Which is actually going to be a part of the story pretty soon.

How my relations with the high priestess? has it gotten to Bow chika bow wow(or should I say meow chika meow meow?) stage yet?

You guys were passing-acquaintances finally, now for some reason you still list her as that, but she doesnt have you in her list at all.  She eats next to you everday, she sleeps next to you every night, and yet, she doesnt seem to know who the hell you are.

How's my Dwarf doing, BTW?

Still alive, in with the Armok worshippers.  Now they all have access to the entire fortress, except for outside the moat.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2009, 11:00:22 am »

...out of curiosity...you do realize you might face a human siege, right? How do you plan to handle that if it happens? Still, might not happen. Just make sure to let the diplomat out before he goes insane. (Did he manage to get out?)
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:40 pm »

Prince Byakugan of Behal Ladgi sat in the throne room of his families castle.  He presided over these clans of highlanders, and lead them in resistance against the growing goblin hordes.  Today was a different matter, however.  Today they were dealing with dwarves.

The Grand Vizier spoke.  "My liege, it has been several seasons now.  I do not think our representatives are comning back!"

"What's the latest from our scouts?"

"Nothing new to report, sire.  No new scouts have reported in from the south since that column of spoke was seen coming from the dwarf settlement."

"How vexing..." mumbled the Prince.  "You don't think the demons have returned to haunt those dwarves again do you?"

"Hmph, humbly your majesty, I would say that there never were any demons.  Not now, not thirty years ago, not ever! Those dwarves killed our diplomats and traders.  They're mad!"

"But the fires...the demon sightings?" asked the Prince.

"Dwarves have a marked propensity for blowing things up, your majesty.  There is no need to invoke demons.  How many times have our scouts reported Blockedlance bursting into flames?  It must be over a dozen at last count.  It couldn't have been demons every time.  Nay!  Verily I contest the claims of witnesses of demonic apparitions, and charge them with likely superstition and excessive fear!"

"Hmmm," thought Prince Byakugan. "You make a compelling case...but this would be an act of war by the dwarves.  Perhaps our men died in the fire?  Or were killed by bandits on the way?  In any event, I am not ready to attack the dwarves, their exports and offerings to us are valued at over a hundred thousand in silver coins!"

"Your majesty," the Grand Vizier said as he slithered in close.  "This may be the perfect opportunity to attack the dwarves and seize the adamnatine mines for ourselves!"

There was silence for a moment.

"I dont know if Im prepared for that..." spoke the Prince at last.

"Your majesty, they killed our diplomats!"

"We dont know that!" shouted Prince Byakugan.  "Look, have the Baron send a team of riders to the south.  When they report back to me with their findings, THEN I will make a decision."

"Yes your majesty..." muttered the Grand Vizier in disappointment.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:56 pm »

When was the last mention of Quarcane or whatever the hell I called him?

Because I forgot. :(
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:14 pm »

How is Petbeard?

has he gotten all the kittens out of his beard yet?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:30 pm »

Grand Viziers are evil. Narrative causality. This prince needs to read more Discworld.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:32 pm »

Grand Viziers are evil. Narrative causality. This prince needs to read more Discworld.

Truth be told, I don't know where to even START. So all my Pratchet lore comes from the tvtropes pages about the series. And that's in RL.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:20:29 pm by Byakugan01 »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 164