Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1621372 times)

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #9135 on: May 05, 2012, 09:52:14 am »

Endgame, evoking the Staff of Wud Mu while under Necromutation tends to function as an endless mana battery. Throw Tornado and Shatter in and Zot becomes much less of a hassle.

• It's "Wucad Mu" and "Tornado", not "Wud Mu" and "Throw Tornado".
  • What the hell kind of crazy character has Tornado, Shatter, and necromutation?

I used Wud due to laziness, but you could complain about that; alas, not noticing "throw" was starting a new sentence and then proceeding to try and berate me on it was simply foolhardy of you.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:56:55 am by Azthor »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9136 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54:54 am »

You know what's fun?

Wearing 4 rings of wizardry.

Wearing 4 rings of wizardry is fun.

Wizardry doesn't stack very well. Sure, put on four of the things if you don't have any other good rings that could fill those slots, but it's probably barely worth wearing two, never mind four. You definitely don't get four times the benefit of one wizardry ring; I'm not sure how much it is, though.

I used Wud due to laziness, but you could complain about that; alas, not noticing "throw" was starting a new sentence and then proceeding to try and berate me on it was simply foolhardy of you.

Yeah, I misread the sentence. My mistake.

I'm still curious what kind of utterly bizarre character gets Necromutation, Shatter, and Tornado castable.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9137 on: May 05, 2012, 09:57:44 am »

No problem. I was editing the character in the last post, but I will do it here instead:

Just a maxed out (spellcasting, schools and most elements) Deep Elf Wizard who switched gods a few times while rune hunting in the Pandemonium. Started with Sif Muna and ended with Chei for the INT bonus; I had bought the Book of Storms in a store and got the Necronomicon as a gift from Kiku.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:01:10 am by Azthor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9138 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:29 pm »

Definitely... several of my more notable mummy runs found sif altars on D2, which pretty much always ends up with me cackling maniacally and facerolling the game for the next dozen levels or so. Or imp rolling, anyway.

It's almost annoying how much of an impact a D2 altar makes, really.
I... guess, but I'm not sure how you keep dying when you have the mammal retreat shield (imps aren't so good for this purpose since they have a tendancy to blink away when you need them).  Once I'm past the typical splat zone (level 1, basically) I can usually make it to the temple through sheer cowardice.

monkeydancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9139 on: May 05, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »

So mimics have constriction now. Would have been good to know before I nearly died fighting one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9140 on: May 05, 2012, 12:53:24 pm »

Ngh? M'not the one with mummysplat problems. Big thing with early sif is early channel, which means imps bloody everywhere. You don't need retreat shield when everything is drowned in imps, confused, and being pelted with magic darts from the max distance (implied: and shortly dead.). This is a thing that happens considerably sooner than ice beast spam, which tends to keep me going until I can find some more book access. Quokkas do alright, but they don't really have much on shadow/iron/frost imps and the six-pack of crimsons that probably come with 'em. And whatever zombies and skeletons end up along for the ride.

Canine's too random for my tastes (and note that I'm leaning on imps here, which should say something) and scorp's powerful but annoying. Basically I'd rather have utility over ice beasts, because I can get by long enough with imps.

I've done both MuSu and MuWz a lot and can get either to or past lair fairly regularly, it's just that MuWz has been more survivable for me.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:03:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9141 on: May 05, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

I just managed to kill a MuSu of Sif with very little effort. :P

First, I got int drained by a brain worm. "No hassle", says I, "I'll just wait for it to go away." I pressed down '5', confident that I would soon have my stats back. Next thing I know, I have less than twenty hit points left, thanks to an Unseen Horror that's been pelting me for Ashenzari knows how long. I'm in an open area, so I try to move towards a corridor to get some summons up, but I'm mercilessly cut down.

It was at this point I realised that mummies probably don't even regenerate stats naturally.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9142 on: May 05, 2012, 01:22:27 pm »

So I stumbled  across like 5 orc priests and mages on D:3, right? I go down an escape hatch and land ON TOP of Crazy Yuif, who, is miraciously still sleeping. I cast pain a whole bunch and kill him, kill four orcs while at 10< HP, and then get stomped by a water moccasin down the hall.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9143 on: May 05, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »

Crawl is as entertaining to read about as it is to play. Such variety in deaths. :D

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9144 on: May 05, 2012, 05:33:42 pm »

And to think it is one of the roguelikes with the least potential for true YASD.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9145 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

Really?  I thought the chance of accidentally causing your own death was pretty strong in Dungeon Crawl.  It does have a lower incidence of Yet Another Annoying Death, though.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9146 on: May 05, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9147 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:59 pm »

the best death evar

Haha. There was a guy couple weeks ago that casted OOD at Erolcha then decided to blink away to avoid banishment. He ended up in front of his own orb and it blew him up lol.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9148 on: May 05, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »

In term of stupid death, it happened to an Ogre that was running after me in a tournament :

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9149 on: May 05, 2012, 09:55:10 pm »

Hmm. Got three runes for the first time ever (also my first time getting any runes, or even getting to Lair, for that matter). Not sure if I should go straight to Zot or not. I've cleared lair, swamp, vaults, elf, and snagged the rune out of snake (but haven't cleared it all out because Mennas and Boris are down there).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 990