Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3542379 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5745 on: October 15, 2009, 10:55:28 pm »

...You know, with these spheres encompassing the entire range from purest good to darkest evil (yes concepts do vary, I know that, and DF tends towards the darker side), I'm wondering if some of these titans are actually good guys, until you piss them off too much.

Quote from: smjjames
Will the new Titans and their underground kin have members which are 'friendly' to dwarves and won't attack unless provoked? It would be cool to have some that aren't hostile to dwarves.

The titans in good regions are benign right now, but there are still some outstanding issues there and they might be of two minds about their status until the kinks are worked out.

Of course, once good/evil lands are removed and replaced with sphere alignments, it's anyones guess how creatures will operate regarding sentients.  Probably by sphere; Nature creatures will like elves, Mountain creatures will have a fondness for dwarves, Peace creatures will be pretty much harmless unless an army wanders through its range, et cetera.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:00:54 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:00 pm »

Oh yea, forgot that was already answered. Probably about as benign as Giant Cave Swallows and Giant Bats where the stupid military won't fight it when its obviously attacking your dwarves.

Or is it just flying creatures that have that problem?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:36 pm »

"Hello little Dwarf, how are you? I am good, that is good, isn't it nice here? KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL!"
"Why hello other little Dwarf, how are you?..."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:21 pm »

I just checked the raws and there are alot of creatures which have that, but we don't get the beserkoid thing with mountain goats or most other benign critters, and even then, the military still attacks them. So maybe its just something wierd with flying creatures and that tag.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: October 15, 2009, 11:13:54 pm »

Like most of them, Grek, but
Marriage creature effects:
-Creatures come in married pairs
Oh, come on.
(Seriously, Toady, e'en humans aren't purely monogamous faith-beyond-death m/f like it is in DF)
More importantly, you can't get Bluebeard to happen when this is the setup, a prominent fairy tale/myth. (Death/Marriage?)

-Creature eats only spouses
Could get behind that.
-Creature refuses to harm married people
Also, though pairwise-removed.
-Creature desires a mortal wife/wives/husband(s)
Definitely interesting and story-generating- though it kind of loses a bit of punch if [MEGABEAST] just goes "Hey, I need a mortal spouse", snaps one up, and that's all we see of the effect. Could also be tied into other spheres, though I'm not looking at the list atm.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: October 16, 2009, 12:31:10 am »

Oh, come on.
(Seriously, Toady, e'en humans aren't purely monogamous faith-beyond-death m/f like it is in DF)
More importantly, you can't get Bluebeard to happen when this is the setup, a prominent fairy tale/myth. (Death/Marriage?)

Could get behind that.
Definitely interesting and story-generating- though it kind of loses a bit of punch if [MEGABEAST] just goes "Hey, I need a mortal spouse", snaps one up, and that's all we see of the effect. Could also be tied into other spheres, though I'm not looking at the list atm.

If permamonogomy is gone, some manner of Friendly Wrestling check goes in, and Megabeasts or creatures like Ogres and Giants search for brides... well, you can connect the dots.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: October 16, 2009, 01:06:08 am »

Oh, come on.

Could get behind that.

If permamonogomy is gone, some manner of Friendly Wrestling check goes in, and Megabeasts or creatures like Ogres and Giants search for brides... well, you can connect the dots.
Adventurers get a name killing them(possibly driving them off), traditionally getting the brides for themselves (...I almost foresee DF players pre-arranging with an ogre to do this), and then the likely half-giant/ogre 'bastard' (marriage w/ ogre unlikely to be recognized) begins a new story of their own.

It's all very Fantastical.

on Giants, btw: ☼Englishman Bonemeal Biscuits☼

Megabeasts kidnapping people for a host of purposes. Or devouring them.
Or demanding the periodic 'tribute' of a fair young maiden (or young master!) from a site(see: Dragons), in exchange for letting them live (or possibly e'en protecting them from other megabeasts). Could also see nations doing this form of tribute demand, though only really goblins atm would seem to want to go for it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:54 am »

ex: life-flowers-death could be either flowers live while all else is spooky-(un?)dead, or flowers are all brown and withered, but growing, in an otherwise verdant land
As for me, 'life-flower-death' combo suggests a herbalist's nightmare - flourishing flora which is deadly to anyone. Large jungles of carnivoirous trees, plants and grass.
You could find some non-contradicting meaning for any combination, i believe. Effects should stack rather than eliminate each other.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: October 16, 2009, 02:21:02 am »

I was thinking of an interesting way to do randomized groups of spheres that make sense together.  Basically, you have to think of it as an artificial intelligence problem, attempting to guess elements of an intuitively-defined set ("sphere combos that are interesting but make some kind of thematic sense") based on a smaller set of exemplars (hardcoded positive and negative associations).  It occurred to me that you could just make a weighted graph with spheres as nodes and manipulate the edges and weightings to represent similarity or difference.

So for example you could start with a fully-connected graph where all edges initially have cost (weight) 10.  To encode an association between e.g. "sun" and "sky", reduce the cost of the edge between the "sun" and "sky" nodes to 1.  To encode a negative association, like between "good" and "evil," delete the edge between those nodes.  Once you've encoded all your explicit knowledge like this, do a random walk of the graph where the randomness favors paths with low cost.  So you might have a path in your graph like "sun"->"sky"->"bird"->"egg"->"breakfast", with a total cost of 4.  This would be reached more readily than some arbitrary node "hammer" with a cost of 10.  Of course, you'd need to tune the numbers to find out what works best, but it's not too many variables.

It's kinda like Six Degrees of Dwarven Bacon.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: October 16, 2009, 03:55:34 am »

I see no reason not to allow titans or whatever that are randomly generated with "conflicting" spheres; that sort of thing shows up fairly often in mythology and literature. Janus was the god of beginnings and endings. Hermes/Mercury was the god of, well, quite a lot of things, but including both merchants and thieves among them. Poseidon/Neptune was lord of both the sea and earthquakes (and horses, for those of you keeping score at home). Thor was both a roving warrior and a patron of the home and family. Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" describes a ghostly ship with only two inhabitants: Death and Life-In-Death.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: October 16, 2009, 04:13:31 am »

'Conflicting' spheres being under the jurisdiction of the same being is pretty common. It makes plenty of sense that Life and Death would both be jobs for the same being, considering that all Death is is the end of life, so technically the Sphere is just Life. Good and Evil is another one that makes plenty of sense having together; a creature with both Good and Evil spheres would basically be the balance between Good and Evil (while creatures lacking the opposing sphere would occupy the extremes.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:53 am »

Most of this was already mentioned, but the DF Wiki article on spheres has a quote from Toady that succinctly describes how spheres work:

Spheres have a parent/child list, a friend list, and a preclude list. A deity has either one or two base spheres, and then they pick friends of those spheres, while never choosing a precluded or parent/child sphere of any of the spheres they already have. I tried to be pretty lax with the preclude list so that interesting relationships could pop up. There will obviously be problems and omissions and things here, since I had to match 100+ spheres together several times and no doubt made mistakes. Feel free to discuss.

The article also details all the relationships between specific spheres.  It's worth glancing over for anyone who's not well versed in the current workings of spheres.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 04:18:24 am by Footkerchief »

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: October 16, 2009, 08:32:01 am »

I already mentioned it in a Suggestions topic but screw it, I love thinking that stuff up.

A way to make it work would be that each sphere has several objects and effects associated with it, and they can interact with each other. Let me explain with an example : Earth, Fire, Rainbows. Earth would have "changes all underground tiles" as one of its proprieties. It would associate itself with fire, which would, when associated with a tile, "make temperature rise". So the game would just have to heat up all underground tiles. Easy. Rainbows would have "turn into magnificent colors". So the earth would be more valuable (with other uses when lighting is implemented). Let's say now that the parent sphere is Weapons. Flaming weapons or colorful weapons. Jealousy ? The propriety of jealousy would be something like "make creatures crave for it". So everyone wants a personal fire or to own colorful things. It allows for randomized, unpredictable things that can both be used by the player in creative ways, and generate interesting challenges. You live in a biome where everyone is craving for booze ? Make some for the goblins, then light it up. Weapons fall from the sky ? Protect yourself ! Send parties to collect the masterwork ones ! You live in a biome with Sky and Fire as spheres, and the tiles that are 2 tiles away from the floor are on fire ? collapse the caverns and watch the inferno rush into the hole. Lust and Magma ? Well, losing is fun. Also, it is moddable, it works with anything randomly generated, and wouldn't need that much change to the game before a "light" version could be implemented. (just apply the objects associated with the spheres to the creatures and/or make it alter its surroundings accordingly)

Part of the magic of random generation, however, is resolving the strange and bizarre combinations that arise in ways that stretch your mind beyond the conventional tropes of video game events. Given two bizarrely contradictory spheres, I would like to see the game come up with something astounding.
Even if I'm totally dreaming with everything I wrote above, I think this is a goal worth pursuing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: October 16, 2009, 09:01:04 am »

Toady, I know you don't want to spoil the underground stuff, but could you at least let us know about the rope ladder type thing? As that is well known and probably important (if not critical) for the cavern stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: October 16, 2009, 09:04:06 am »

Ugg I am wracking up questions like no tommorow... but I really want to ask this one

Questions for Toady in spoiler (I am not sure if it needs one but JIC)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ugh, what is this 4-6 questions so far... I am not very happy with myself right now.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 1065