Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3542460 times)

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11010 on: January 24, 2010, 11:13:03 am »

Heh, looks like the forum was right, and he did go with the quick fix. Awesome!

I mean, true rope ladders will be cool to have eventually, but not when they stand in the way of releasing this version sooner. It's so close! D:

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11011 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:40 am »

Will the final stretch contain any optimization code?  For example fluid dynamics and pathing?

"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11012 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

...(i just can't imagine how it could possibly be done... except for maybe a kinda screw shape, that comes down from the ceiling to form a spiral staircase...

Have you never actually seen a rope ladder? It's two ropes and a bunch of wooden slats or rope rungs.

I think Pie was saying he didn't know how building stairs downward into an open empty space could be done.
The same way building floors out from a cliff works. Or the same way an entire building balances on a support. It just DOES.
Or perpetual motion machines. Or leaves on a plant that needs no sunlight. Or flying creatures that only drop when they stop going forward/backward/whateverdirectiontheyweregoingward.
The underground plants clearly just use neutrinosynthesis.

Will the final stretch contain any optimization code?  For example fluid dynamics and pathing?

Those being fairly major systems and not being on the list makes that question answer itself.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11013 on: January 24, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

All thats left is the final section. I can't wait its so close! It will be insanely awesome!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11014 on: January 24, 2010, 12:14:42 pm »

The anticipation is killing me D:
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11015 on: January 24, 2010, 12:17:49 pm »

Those being fairly major systems and not being on the list makes that question answer itself.

Considering that if you tap a magma pipe or river and have to move the fluid a long distance even the strongest computer drops to a stupidly-low unplayable framerate, I would suggest that this not being on the list to instead have a whole bunch of stuff added to the game when the game could be considered possibly broken by this factor is doing the game and community a disservice.

I understand wanting to add new stuff to DF, I want to have new stuff in DF, but I've got one hell of a beast of a computer that doesn't even twitch when running some of the highest-end games at framerates that tear the screen if I don't turn on an FPS cap, and can play DF on a 10x10 with 120 dwarves in it at 70-90fps. . . . until I tap the magma or water. . .

On a 6x6 if I am moving magma long distances, my framerate drops to an entirely unplayable framerate with forty dwarves of 22fps.

This, one might suggest, is hardly acceptable. "It's an alpha" is the expected answer, because that is the response of those that are not critical of games they are fans of.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11016 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »

Huh? 22fps is unplayable? I cap my game at 25fps at all times, otherwise I find events happen too fast! Maybe's that just me...

I'll take new stuff over optimisations personally.

EDIT - also, what do you mean by 'FPS cap'? Screen tearing sounds like vertical blank desyncronisation. That's what Vsync options fix, and it has nothing to do with capping your framerate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:35:13 pm by Naero »
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #11017 on: January 24, 2010, 12:28:19 pm »

3 fps is unplayable. 22 is perfectly acceptable.

powell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11018 on: January 24, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »

for people like us who have the FPS uncapped and running >60fps constantly, 22fps is quite the change.  22fps is still playable by far though, <15 is when it becomes unplayable

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11019 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

Huh? 22fps is unplayable? I cap my game at 25fps at all times, otherwise I find events happen too fast! Maybe's that just me...

Absolutely unplayable. It is the difference between 1 year taking ~30-45 minutes at 100fps and 1 year taking upwards of 2.5-3 hours at 22fps.

I'll take new stuff over optimisations personally.

New stuff is both a boon and a curse. I want new stuff in DF too, I'm not going to kid. Toady works really hard, and that goes to the crux of the problem. Toady is doing this all by himself the more he adds to DF without fixing other issues (such as the optimizations of various subsystems) the game will begin to grow to be blown out of proportion. Remember, Toady works hard but he does it by himself. The more that is added the longer each consecutive update takes to be released, and when this continues going on, the optimization will never be done, and the interest in the game will plummet when people begin to notice that the game is virtually unplayable after a short period of time because the framerate drops to sub-10fps almost immediately.

Optimization is hugely needed here.

for people like us who have the FPS uncapped and running >60fps constantly, 22fps is quite the change.  22fps is still playable by far though, <15 is when it becomes unplayable

I don't agree. I consider 22fps to be unplayable, maybe I just don't have as much spare time as you do.

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11020 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »

Gimme a T! Gimme an O! Gimme an A! Gimme a D! Gimme a Y! Goooooo Toady!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11021 on: January 24, 2010, 12:33:16 pm »

I personally prefer having it at 100 since I often embark on very large projects, and anything slower than 100 tends to cause it to take way more time than I want it to. 2 hours at 100 fps is way better than 10 hours at 20 fps. Then again, I recently turned speed to 1 for the first time on my current fort and 20 fps is perfectly acceptable at that speed.

For me, if the game was able to constantly stay at 100 fps no matter how long it was played, that would be worth as much as most of the stuff coming in this upcoming release. When FPS drops to between 10 and 20 after about 15 years of game time, I usually end up abandoning awesome forts which I would otherwise have loved to continue on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:35:22 pm by alway »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11022 on: January 24, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

Gimme a T! Gimme an O! Gimme an A! Gimme a D! Gimme a Y! Goooooo Toady!

Toady's awesomeness is not in question here. He's great, we know, he does a good job, he works hard, we all love him. That's fine, there are ways the game could be better, however, and I think it is best he be made aware of them. Especially since his design method tends to point towards trying to give the community what things they feel are important.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11023 on: January 24, 2010, 12:36:00 pm »

I usually average around 40-50ish FPS in the later years of a fort.

Toady wanted to get all of the savebreaking stuff out at the same time with this release and after that the releases will come at a much faster pace.

The fluid sim is not the only thing that causes lag, its pathing in general that also does this. The burrows stuff should help somewhat to alleviate the pathing lag.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11024 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:34 pm »

The fluid sim is not the only thing that causes lag, its pathing in general that also does this. The burrows stuff should help somewhat to alleviate the pathing lag.

I understand that pathing is big, but considering that I can run a 10x10 with 120-140 dwarves at ~70fps (give or take 5fps), but if I'm at 40 dwarves on a 6x6 and tap a magma pipe to flow it over a good distance my framerate is 22fps. . . I think that the fluid dynamics is a much greater hog, and honestly just fixing that one issue would likely free a lot of FPS issues for most people, waterfalls on an embark can cause an immediate abandon and re-embark elsewhere, and they shouldn't.

Pages: 1 ... 733 734 [735] 736 737 ... 1065