Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Recreational Drugs  (Read 31897 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recreational Drugs
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2009, 12:49:20 pm »

You could give the dwarves nutmeg, which is an extreamly low grade hallucinogen when taken in large doses. Seriously, look it up.
Necroing but...

Most of the recipies and cookbooks I have suggest that if you ever want to add 'flavour' to a meal "Add Nutmeg, the more the better".

Would be interesting to see on a cooking show;
"Yes, I agree. This soufflé, while very nicely cooked, lacks a certain... whoa. Your eyes... they're changing colour!"
"Yes I- ...what?"
"Hi there unicorn cameraman..."

Urist McTvShow cancels record: judge is trippin' ballz

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2009, 01:24:29 pm »

If this goes in, could we please have a [DRUGS: ON/OFF] tag in the init?  I'd prefer to play without, and rather than narc on everybody else and say "No, all dwarves should be straight-edgers," I'll settle for a toggle. 
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2009, 03:01:51 pm »

If this goes in, could we please have a [DRUGS: ON/OFF] tag in the init?
I usually avoid posting in necro'd threads but I cant resist. There is one problem worth considering with the suggestion of recreational drugs being an init toggle. The problem being where to draw the line between so called good drugs and bad drugs. While I imagine you suggest the toggle only toggles recreational use rather than removing even medicinal use of drugs there are some instances of recreational use that fit the games theme all too well. Should humans still enjoy a beer or share some tobacco with your Broker while going over trade agreements if it's toggled "off"?

I can understand why people might not want to play with drugs in game considering the general public and government opinion on most drugs and the way we are brought up to see them. There has been some fuss in the UK recently about this topic and it has lead to a number of scientists quitting from their positions as government drug policy advisers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Uehen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:15 pm »

Drugs! Hell yeah!

Keeping it simple is the key. It should be a feature that you can largely ignore to little I'll affect. But one of those cat problems that can get out of hand once started.
But first! I want to see trade expanded so I can send out caravans trying to addict towns in the area. I want doctors who are able to use these drugs to aid healing, or ease the last minutes of life.
I want teachers and schools.
I want to be able to set up a trade town that pilgrim traders will come to just to load their carts and empty their purses. 

So keep it to three.
Mud Weed
Black Cap Mushrooms
Purple Twilight

Black caps grow in wooded areas and if your gatherer does not know what they are doing they maytake it hope by mistake. If taken by mistake they cause unhappy thoughts and is likely to attack anything near by.
If gathered knowingly they can be taken at parties or feasts and cause a happy thought. If taken before going into battle they get a buff of some kind. Like the Vikings.

Mud Weed is hippie elf stuff. You can buy it from them but it cost more each time you buy more. Your 7 dwarf pose won't have anything to do with it but some immigrants will arrive addicted. If you do not have a supply for them they will buy it from the elves when they arrive with their caravan. If one of their friends gets in a bad mood they will share the Mud Weed and they will feel better. But now they are hooked too. The down side is they will just sit there sometimes. When they should be working, or eating, or anything but standing there blankly.
You can grow your own, out side only, but the elves are not just going to give you seeds and the buds contain none.

Purple twilight only becomes a problem if you start dealing drugs yourself. Using Black Caps at parties can trigger it, growing your own Mud Weed or buying large amounts of it from the hippies.
It all starts when a human teaches a dwarf about this mountain flower. Highly addictive, causes many long work stoppages, eatting may stop, drinking may tripple, death if done to often or if too long between fixes. Needs a doctor to cure 50% return to use rate in the next season. Once a dwarf has made it a few seasons he won't likely use again, so you can lock him in a private garden where he farms the flower for trade to towns. Side affects include extra caravans arriving at odd times with few goods, war, dwarf immigation slow downs.

Ideas.  There are many uses for these three items. They can be ignored, or used to advantage. They can get out of hand with carelessness.

I like it.   

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2009, 04:29:39 pm »

I like the idea, but I hate everything Uehen just said.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

Personally, I don't even want my dwarves drinking enough booze to get drunk on a regular basis (maybe at parties or something, I dunno). However, if Toady wants to add functionality for drugs (in particular I'd like to see booze or other plants used as painkillers for wounded dwarves) I wouldn't object.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2009, 12:02:31 am »

All I want is a token to make plump helmets a hallucinogen.

;D

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2009, 12:24:39 am »

As said before, smoked objects used to be healthier back in the day, it used to be roasted tobacco, and now ( Today ) it's some roasted tobacco, with marijuana, possibly crack, but definetly more nicotine and 100 toxins/dioxins purposely placed into each of those fags.

So dwarves shouldn't really die of smoking that much because in comparison ( and testimony of a person about his smoking grampa ) , it is way healthier at the time of DF, so much so, that it is rare to have a smoking-induced death.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2009, 06:13:51 pm »

I was thinking more of using drugs to make nobles forget about their mandates more often.

Magma works well for that.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »

All I want is a token to make plump helmets a hallucinogen.

;D
Lol, i can see my dwarves running around acting all crazy without moods, or having the military have hallucinations of that every other dwarf is a goblin.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2009, 10:38:30 pm »

I may be crazy but I don't think MOST mushrooms in the world are halucinogenic

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:33 am »

I'd like to see pipe smoking as it seems like something I'd expect a dwarf or a human to enjoy. Oh and remember it "wasn't" unhealthy back then, or so they said.

Urist Mcnoble cancels smoke pipe: choking.
Urist Mcnoble has died of lung cancer.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2009, 01:06:24 pm »

Urist McLandedGentry cancels being lower class: Has awesome looking pipe.

Incidentally, I'm saving up for a pipe. I despise smoking, but the right pipe is the tool of a gentleman and scholar. Merely holding it in one hand and occasionally putting it to your lips between sentences is enough to raise anyone to inhuman levels of class.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »

Add to the General Section, "criminal catalyst".  Right now "justice" consists of little temper tantrums your dwarves throw, but were a dwarf addicted on a drug and couldn't get it, he would try stealing money, stealing drugs, experimenting with new drugs, and making money "illegally" (selling/growing drugs) in addition to throwing things, picking random fist-fights, and going beserk.

Personally this looks like this could be the most challenging game aspect yet, too challenging.

Would hard spirits be a body-altering "drug" to dwarves?  You guys on the forum say alcohol keep dwarves sober, but is that going to be 100% backed by the game?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:08:04 pm by Dvergar »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2010, 11:51:05 pm »

Well, alchohol--atleast wine or beer--doesn't immediately turn even human beings into maniacs.

Americans are very strict about alchohol, but in countries like France, it's a common thing to have a glass of wine at work.

I'm not suggesting it makes them work any better, but it doesn't seem to put them in a complete National stupor, either.

I personally like to look at alchohol for dwarfs, as being physiologically different than alchohol for humans. Their livers, in other words, have the ability to harness most of the alchohol's caloric energy, and burn most of the toxins off, at the same time. So they never really get drunk, or atleast they do a long time after a human of the same bodyweight would have alchohol poisoning.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14