Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781407 times)

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[rant]

[/rant]

It seems like now if you want to accomplish anything with a pyro you are forced to use the damn backburner.

Not really, you just really have to work harder than the regular assault classes for them. Flame for a second or two, airblast to bounce them. If there's a wall use that to close for a quick axtinguisher kill. No wall nearby? shotgun/flaregun and peg them for a 1-3 shot kill at optimal range. (I'm not actually sure how many shots the flare gun would take as I never use it, but it's mini-criting so it should be out damaging the shotgun per shot.)

I don't think you can do groups too well with the regular flamethrower though, that's mostly just flame them all, blow away who you can, and retreat while shotgunning. Although that's not too different from pre-nerf in head on fights. I wouldn't take the regular flamethrower into a group ambush anymore over the backburner. (I lie, I do anyway.)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

My old favorite pyro strategy for taking on masses - light everyone on fire, then start picking individual targets off with the axtinguisher while they scatter for health and their medic (if they have one) is under pressure.

With six seconds of afterburn that doesn't really work any more, 'cause I have to keep relighting them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

You guys need to stop whining and fight like these pyros:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndZoP4yctqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxyJuVx96w <- This is how the flame thrower should be used you whiny "I can't kill shit with fire" people.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Also- I wasn't even aware that Natascha had been "fixed." At long range, it does five points of damage, crits do 20. Just throwing that out there.

Just like practically every weapon except the sniper rifle or flare gun, Natascha has damage fall off; the amount of damage done decreases with increasing distance from target. Crits (in addition to boosting base damage) nullify damage fall off, meaning that you do the same damage you would at pointblank range (assuming all shots were to hit).

That's why, if you're critting and your heavy, clap your hands don't be afraid to take a few shots at that sniper at medium to long range; you can often do enough damage to force em to seek cover.

Edit: Oh god, 3:53 on the second vid. Best airblast ever.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:19:43 pm by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

HURR HURR I'M A TROLL! PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED WITH PYRO BEING WEAKENED SO I'LL TELL THEM TO PLAY LIKE A PRE-NERFING PYRO

k
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

HURR HURR I'M A TROLL! PEOPLE ARE ANNOYED WITH PYRO BEING WEAKENED SO I'LL TELL THEM TO PLAY LIKE A PRE-NERFING PYRO
WHINE
Okay.

I don't feel the pyro has been weakened at all, for me it has received a massive buff. Of course, I play an AB pyro that normally only puffs a flame or two, so my style of playing got buffed. W+M1s got screwed, or rather, should go use the backburner and ambush people like they normally do.

(notice the movies have next to none pure flame kills, they're ab + axtinguisher pyros)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:45:31 pm by Soulwynd »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm an Axtinguisher pyro too. But the reduction in afterburn time reduces our strength against groups considerably because the flame's not our big damage-dealer, the axe is, and we have to relight people every six seconds now.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I haven't noticed much of a difference myself. I tend to quickly switch back to the flamethrower to do another AB or things like that. I got used with hit-switching, if you see pyros swinging their flamethrowers like an axe, that's what they're doing.

Clearly, I'm too happy with the super AB buff to notice anything else.  :P

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

I normally do a quick ignite-airburst-kill, but in groups I like to mass-ignite first so I can puff and hit without stopping to reignite.

This is no longer possible in general.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I've never really tried that to be honest. I tend to pick one or two people. Jumping in the middle of a bunch usually means death.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

The ax combo means once you have that many people on fire, you can go on an axtinguisher rampage and one-hit-kill anyone who doesn't run like fuck from you.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I don't accept frag reels as proof, particularly in the second video where the player typically begins flaming several seconds away from being close to in range. You don't see the hundreds of times the pyro died in those situations because one heavy decided you were the biggest threat as opposed to the guys around you. While I see the point that the class can kill, every class can kill.
 The question is how much damage can you inflict and the tools at your disposal to make the kill possible/survive. And while the Pyro has perhaps one of the best tools in the game he is also sporting a primary that is weaker than his secondary. The airblast isn't the special ability of the flamethrower anymore, it is the main function now. The ability to light enemies on fire is a helpful secondary ability that removes the time needed to switch to a stronger weapon.

And while I like the new airblast I do feel that it isn't worth the larger distance between my ability to damage other classes and their ability to damage me.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

I'm probably the only one who haven't felt a difference in the fire. I just go playing as normal. *shrugs*

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

I honestly wouldn't have noticed the damage change if I hadn't been told about it.

I wish afterburn lasted longer though.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although I must admit it is fairly sad that the only thing with lower DPS than the flamethrower is the SMG.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 774