Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781336 times)

returntonull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pyro removed from game, will return "shortly"

I just picked this game up (yeah, a little late) from Steam. Anything I should know? Guess I should practice some maps with bots or something to get an idea of what I'm doing. And figure out where all the stuff is. I'll be steamrolled enough the way it is for being a new player in a game this old.

Having crazy performance problems with 26 or 28 bots shooting at each other, which is concerning. My machine is no beast, but I expected to easily run this on mid-low settings. It defaulted to all "High" as recommended for my machine, but putting everything on ultra-low makes no difference. Any-who, once I figure that out, I'll give this a shot with Real PeopleTM.

Oh, and I do like bigger fights. The more people, the more fun for me. What's the average number of players in each match?

I kind of want to go engineer, too. That a bad choice?

Really just jumping in is as good as anything. If you've played any FPSes at all you'll already ahead of 50% of the people (or so it seems to be) playing. Even with a two(?) year old game I'm constantly being brought to tears by how bad people (with their 50 hours a week of playing) still are.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:20:13 pm by returntonull »

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm gussing they'll bump the backburner back to 100%, add some afterburn, and upgrade the airblast again.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

What exactly did they change with the pyro?

Also, what's with the downloads in the fancy VS nasty update? Do I need to unlock/craft the weapon anyway if I download it, or does it start off unlocked? Is it in the normal game circulation at this time?

Edit: Oh, is it just a skin update right now?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:36:32 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

What exactly did they change with the pyro?

Also, what's with the downloads in the fancy VS nasty update? Do I need to unlock/craft the weapon anyway if I download it, or does it start off unlocked? Is it in the normal game circulation at this time?

Edit: Oh, is it just a skin update right now
They are fan made reskins. And the reduced the pyros afterburn length and damage as well as his flamethrower damage. They also accidentally reduced backburner damage by 4%. They reduced airblast cost to 20% and reduced the delay between blasts.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Okay. I meant what did they change just now, but I guess they're still working on the changes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the pyro damage and afterburn changes are perfectly fine myself. However, the reduction in the airblast cooldown and cost mean they're now a lot harder to deal with as a soldier or demo. I'm not sure, perhaps this balances out, but its a tad irksome to me at the moment as those are the classes I play more than any other. I'd like them to dial back the airblast buff just a tad. The addition of deflection mini-crits I don't have a problem with.

We'll see though, I think they're still working on it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

We received a bunch of useful feedback after the last update

Euphemisms abound...
What they meant was "hatemail, death threats, dead horseheads in our beds signed 'the pyro', and a thank-you card from the other classes".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I think (hope) valve is trolling us. They never announce shipping a balance update. What I think they'll is they'll ship the Engineer update this week starting with "Meet the Pyro" and some balance changes.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

I like to believe they're admitting how badly the pyro got fucked.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

I think the pyro damage and afterburn changes are perfectly fine myself. However, the reduction in the airblast cooldown and cost mean they're now a lot harder to deal with as a soldier or demo. I'm not sure, perhaps this balances out, but its a tad irksome to me at the moment as those are the classes I play more than any other. I'd like them to dial back the airblast buff just a tad. The addition of deflection mini-crits I don't have a problem with.

We'll see though, I think they're still working on it.

If they're airblasting your rockets, then close in to a shorter range.  Tee hee.  Yeah, pyro vs. soldier can be a pretty interesting matchup, and it gets pretty bloody.  Juggling or point-blank rockets are a pretty good bet, and of course surprise doesn't hurt.  Or, you know, good old shotgun.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

It is actually rather easy to foil a pyro. At close range due to ping and general speed of rockets the pyro needs to rely more on 'feeling' when the soldier will fire than actual reflexes. Just fire a rocket meant to miss completely, wait a fraction of a second longer than it takes to fire another rocket, and fire a rocket as soon as the pyro airblasted when he assumed you would fire a rocket. And despite how skilled pyros are at horizontal airblasts the overhead rocket is still doing well.

Who needs shotgun when you have gunboats?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Yeah, what Duke said. Also, pipes still fire faster than airblasts, a demo can easily out-fire a pyro.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, what Duke said. Also, pipes still fire faster than airblasts, a demo can easily out-fire a pyro.
But can he out-fire boooollet?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

But can he out-fire boooollet?
"We have buffed the Pyro with increased intelligence and tact. This causes bullets being fired at him to start to veer away due to his intelligenting them away."

The pyro shall now outsmart boolet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh I know it's not so fast firing as to make it impossible, I'd just like it dialed back a bit. I can still handle pyros, air-blast or not. Anyway, It's thursday tomorrow, the traditional TF2 update day, so we'll see what they've been working on soon, I imagine.

edit: If i'm honest i still miss the days when pyros were nade juggling practice though. Nothing like live fire practice heh
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:48:55 am by Collic »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 774