Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777804 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Engineer Update OUT!: Gunslinger and Thunder Mountain.
« Reply #4245 on: July 09, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »

And now for something completely different:

That new song with the surf guitar is badass.
Shoes...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41:23 pm »

The new sentry is I can say with testing useless, low damage means so many players get away from it before it kills them and the full health on setup is totally negated by building a level one then moving it so it too has full health health on setup.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:22 pm »

I love playing as medic. But what I love most is when people start going out of their way to thank you for it like pressing x + 2, typing in "thanks", or saying it in chat.

I do that even when the medic fails to heal me. My "heal" button is e + z + 2

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: July 09, 2010, 07:01:54 pm »

It takes a hundred metal to plop down. That's one weapon or a medium-sized ammo crate. That makes deploying, destroying, and building new ones a cinch. Throw one down to nip a spy after it tries to backstab things. Stick it in a corner to surprise a lone scout. Use it as a diversion. Sure, maybe it is an immobile pistol shooting at stuff, but half the time, people are running around with less than half health anyways. Don't need a level three sentry to clean one of them up.

Bear in mind I haven't tried one of these out for myself, so my high opinion of mini-sentries may be skewed.

I've played with one trust me 90% of the time you're better off building a level 1 just round the corner then moving it forward. Plus it only costs 30 more metal which means you have to build 3 before seeking out something bigger than a medium ammo crate to build the next one and if it turns out you have the time it's possible to upgrade and/or repair it.

Also double damage. Really the gunslinger should drop double health same damage level 1's that can't be repaired. Then it might be useful
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure those mini-sentries are just ... a part of the Frontier Justice.

Your opponents can choose: leave the small sentry or get some crit shots right up their face.

At least I think that's how it's supposed to work.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

THe mini sentries are actually great for combat engies... You can drop them ultra fast anywhere and it's a sentry hurting people, even if at half-damage, that wears people down fast while they're busy with -other- people.

You gotta stop thinking about it as a regular sentry.

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:35 pm »

i find it works wonders when combined with the pistol and FJ. See an enemy? Pop down a mini sentry while blasting him with the pistol and you'll most likely get the kill. and if you stop firing you pistol in time you get 2 free crits for a nice sentry kill :)
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: July 09, 2010, 07:58:19 pm »

Baby sentries are so cute though. You put one next to its big brothers, makes it look adorable! People who kill them have no soul.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:07 pm »

THe mini sentries are actually great for combat engies... You can drop them ultra fast anywhere and it's a sentry hurting people, even if at half-damage, that wears people down fast while they're busy with -other- people.

This. If you're plopping down mini-sentries and expecting them to self-sustain, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, I believe the mini-sentry builds in ~2.5 seconds. A standard L1 takes 5 seconds if you're wrenching it the whole time, has double the damage, and can be upgraded. The advantage of the mini-sentry is that you can throw one down mid-combat, and a couple of seconds later you're now on the high side of a 2v1 battle. If you focus on the sentry, the Engie gets a few close-range shotgun blasts (or a crit robot punch!). If you aim at the Engie, the sentry wears you down. It's a real nice advantage for an offensive Engie.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »

Ideally, if you have the Gunslinger you don't have the Frontier Justice or the Wrangler. As a combat engie, I want to drop a minisentry and start laying down some heavy shotgun fire. That's it. No controlling crap, no trying to score crits. You don't want to be worried about letting your sentry get kills or watching your three ammo. Just run and gun.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 09, 2010, 11:21:57 pm »

This. If you're plopping down mini-sentries and expecting them to self-sustain, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, I believe the mini-sentry builds in ~2.5 seconds. A standard L1 takes 5 seconds if you're wrenching it the whole time, has double the damage, and can be upgraded. The advantage of the mini-sentry is that you can throw one down mid-combat, and a couple of seconds later you're now on the high side of a 2v1 battle. If you focus on the sentry, the Engie gets a few close-range shotgun blasts (or a crit robot punch!). If you aim at the Engie, the sentry wears you down. It's a real nice advantage for an offensive Engie.

Except it also sort of defeats the point, being able to build a sentry installation inside the enemy base.
I guess you can still build teleporters though... but then you can't upgrade them unless you unequip the robot hand.

I guess you could also build a sentry installation in a similar manner.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 09, 2010, 11:24:22 pm »

another engie can upgrade it for you though
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 09, 2010, 11:27:50 pm »

What? You can upgrade stuff with the robot hand. Just not the baby sentries.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4258 on: July 09, 2010, 11:29:01 pm »

I absolutely love the Gunslinger. For some reason, when I put up a mini-sentry next to the cart, absolutely noone shoots at it yet it racks up tonnes of kills. Combine that with me softening them up from afar with my Pistol, and my mini-sentry is a bloodthirsty chihuahua.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 09, 2010, 11:30:05 pm »

I love the Gunslinger, mostly because I can ROBO PUNCH spies.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 774