Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781324 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack winners! "Aye, that's tha way ya do it!"
« Reply #4395 on: July 16, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »

Except that there isn't really much of a being backstabbed sound to trip you off that it was broken. Five seconds later you are gonna be stabbed. And there is no real way of checking if you have it on other than taunting.
I don't understand what your problem is... I can identify the sound very easily.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 16, 2010, 12:38:20 pm »

I tried the razorback for a while and it didn't help. I couldn't hear the sound at all.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:31 pm »

The razorback does nothing. I make a point of never backstabbing snipers anyway, the ambassador takes them down just as fast and can't be stopped by the razorback.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »

One thing that helps is when you are stabbed, your aim jumps and the sound plays. Still, I have no trouble... I guess it's just me.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 16, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »

Also, the server is full all the time now, to the point of hardly being able to get in. Which is a good thing, I'm sure, but I often still can't play ;)
Yep, the DFC server's getting pretty constant activity nowadays. And I've noticed several non-DFC people returning to it day after day.

A new contest! This time the contest is to decorate a pre-made map. So you get to do half of the job of mapping. Rules page here. Contest ends September 25th. The bit at the bottom of the rules page suggests there may be rewards other than having your version of the map go in the game.

From the look of the video on the introductory page to the contest, I'm going to like this map. Especially the last CP, which is surrounded on 3 sides by a bit of a pit.

For anybody looking to enter the contest, I suggest either a swamp theme for the open spaces with the end of the map being an industrial building that looks quite out of place in a swamp or a magma theme for the whole thing, with the end of the map being some kind of industrial forge.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 16, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »

Bonus points if you include some sort of doomsday device in the last point.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 16, 2010, 01:17:47 pm »

I think Valve is getting lazy.

"New contest!  Finish Half Life 3 for a unique in-game hat!"
Shoes...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: July 16, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »

I wouldn't put it past them. <_<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: July 16, 2010, 03:01:25 pm »

I am on this contest like The Chin on Aqizzar.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:03 pm »

Scout is easily the most powerful class in competitive play so quite frankly I have to disagree.

He's less useful on maps with large playercounts and tons of choke points, of course.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:30 pm »

Scout seems obsolete now. No decent way to kill sentries, of which there are too many. Even mini-sentries are problems for FaN users. Demo and Soldier can cap as quickly as the Scout can with the Pain Train. With movement and capping rate now obsolete, all he's left with is speed. I still can't outrun walls of spam, sentries, or heavy miniguns, so there goes that venue.

Anyone else feel similarly, or is there some way past the walls of boolets and explosives that I can't find that doesn't sacrifice my ability to do useful things?
Actually, the Soldier is invading on the area of speed too. Just today I was playing on Doublecross and after rocket-jumping a few times from the intel room, I took out my Equalizer and breezed at the speed of Scout under the bridge and through the tunnels to cap it.

Made me feel sorry for arrogant little Scout.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: July 16, 2010, 03:32:40 pm »

Scout seems obsolete now. No decent way to kill sentries, of which there are too many. Even mini-sentries are problems for FaN users. Demo and Soldier can cap as quickly as the Scout can with the Pain Train. With movement and capping rate now obsolete, all he's left with is speed. I still can't outrun walls of spam, sentries, or heavy miniguns, so there goes that venue.

Anyone else feel similarly, or is there some way past the walls of boolets and explosives that I can't find that doesn't sacrifice my ability to do useful things?

Put simply: There's a reason competitive teams still run two of these flighty little buggers in every team.

Speed is all the Scout ever had. The Engineer (pre-update, even) had a roughly-equal shotgun, and a pistol with 200 reserve ammo instead of 36. Oh, and those little Sentries, Teleporters, etc. The only advantage the Scout had over a battle Engie was his speed.

Cap speed was always more of a perk. Honestly, Scouts were never good for primary capping - standing in one general area is a great task for a Heavy, whereas a Scout that can't flank the opponent or execute hit-and-run attacks is toast. (The increased cap speed is great for back-capping, though...)

And the excessive Sentry spam will die away shortly. It's understandable that the Scout would suck immediately after the Engineer update, seeing as how Engineers are his hard counter. But I think Scouts may actually have an advantage, now that the Engie update is winding down - a Wrangled Sentry won't spot that Scout sneaking up from behind, and mini-sentries usually are deployed during the battle. I'm expecting we may see fewer AI-controlled L3 guns around, which would be nice for the Scout.  :D

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

Wrangler'd sentries are a lot easier to take down in general. Especially since spies don't have to sap the L3 sentry before stabbing the distracted engie, due to the 3 second opening when they stop wrangling.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:34 pm »

a Scout that can't flank the opponent or execute hit-and-run attacks is toast

I'd disagree, in general play I do well enough running straight at most enemies, the exception being heavies especially those with natascha. As long as you double jump all the time and dodge erratically most non competitive players will find it extremely difficult to hit you. The fan is great for this because firing it after doing both double jumps changes your direction a second time without needing your feet to touch the floor. If you thumb isn't aching from all the jumping then you just aren't doing it right.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:35:05 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

People say that about the scout because they probably don't like playing them. Since I play with competitive players often (and get owned more often than not) I know scouts can be a pain in the ass, even for the new engie with a full set up already in place.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 774