Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781976 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Goes Free To Play with Uber Update "Let's do dis."
« Reply #6120 on: June 27, 2011, 11:13:08 pm »

Scouts are generally good against everyone, except pyro.

They're also good to break the medic+heavy combo as well.

Now, the trick with the scout is:
You don't want people facing you. Ever. If you're far away, your dodging only means a slight movement. Scouts should jump onto people and constantly make them do 180 turns to try to face you, jump over their heads, shoot, do it again. You also shouldn't be going into groups of more than 2 people unless you have backup. Furthermore, when you pick an area to attack someone, make sure there aren't other people watching your assault, because then they can spam-kill you.

As for the weapons:
Original Scattergun - This weapon is specially good when approaching targets. It has a nice tight arc of fire, so if they suddenly face you, you can shoot and dodge. Plus like the shottie, you can reload shot by shot.

FaN & that new shootie - This is the ambush weapon. Run up to someone's back or side and shoot them once and then while they're in the war, do the second shot. It's insta kill for most light classes, doing around 200hp of damage with both shots. Worthless when far away, so hold tight to that pistol for a missed second shot or people trying to get to you.

Shortstop - This is the mid range weapon. Has the tightest arc and shoots less pellets with each bullet. With this thing you can pretty much ditch the pistol and use some of the fun drinks and the mad milk. Note that it does slightly less damage than the scattergun, but shoots faster and reloads 4 bullets at once, so take that in consideration. This is great for popping hurt heavies out while behind some cover, being able to do around 160hp of damage with the four shots at mid range.

Ps. I'm only a good scout in 5 point CPs for some reason, so if what I said doesn't work in PLs, you know why.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6121 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Is it just me or is everyone complaining about Demo's new set?

I have no trouble dealing with Aladdemos at all, but everyone's buttaching that everything is a direct update new sword is OP, etc.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: June 27, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »

Yeah Scouts are a bit weak on Payload maps, its hard to plan offence with him since there's rocket spam everywhere. I personally like to play defensive scout on payload maps.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »

Wait wait wait, what? Scouts border on a hard counter versus Pyros - keep your distance (which is easy thanks to your speed), and you can pistol them to death without fear of serious retaliation. I mean, sure, they can scratch you with their shotgun, but unless they get you with two successive flares (in which case, dodge more!) or you're unlucky enough to start the battle already within flamethrower range, it's a pretty easy battle.

Compare with Soldiers, who only need to aim near you to damage you (seriously, in competitive play Soldiers are the main defense against Scouts). Or an alert Heavy, especially one of those Natasha Heavies (or the new Tomislaw, which gives you almost no time to retreat before they're wound up and cutting you down) - if you aren't at point-blank ambush range before they spot you, you're toast.  :o

Is it just me or is everyone complaining about Demo's new set?

I have no trouble dealing with Aladdemos at all, but everyone's buttaching that everything is a direct update new sword is OP, etc.

Eh, my only complaint is that it's basically a straight upgrade to the previous Demoknight setup - the shield gives up a tiny defensive increase (which was only really useful against 3 classes anyways) for a serious usage boost, and the sword is a huge help in survivability/charge strength and carries basically no drawback (especially if you don't have any ammo-using weapons!). Despite that, melee Demos are pretty weak outside of Medieval mode - it's just that they're less weak than they used to be.  :P

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: June 27, 2011, 11:48:39 pm »

I kind of want the new demo set. Looks fun!  :P

On a side note, its a good idea for scouts to know where the nearest escape route is and where there are med kits.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: June 28, 2011, 12:17:08 am »

Demoknights dominate Medieval mode but I don't think I've ever seen one do well in regular gameplay.  At least, I've never seen one being kredit to team.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:34 am »

Wait wait wait, what? Scouts border on a hard counter versus Pyros - keep your distance (which is easy thanks to your speed), and you can pistol them to death without fear of serious retaliation. I mean, sure, they can scratch you with their shotgun, but unless they get you with two successive flares (in which case, dodge more!) or you're unlucky enough to start the battle already within flamethrower range, it's a pretty easy battle.

Compare with Soldiers, who only need to aim near you to damage you (seriously, in competitive play Soldiers are the main defense against Scouts). Or an alert Heavy, especially one of those Natasha Heavies (or the new Tomislaw, which gives you almost no time to retreat before they're wound up and cutting you down) - if you aren't at point-blank ambush range before they spot you, you're toast.  :o
I believe I play against harder pyros than you do. Most of the pyros I know break your double jump and you're hanging in air. Even if you're at the limit of their air blast, which gives them enough time to shot gun you out of the air.

I suppose that if you use the shortstop, you're at an advantage as far as range goes, otherwise the scratch you mention goes both sides and the scout has less hp than the pyro, so he's not at any advantage. Plus I've never seen any of those pyros give you any pistol opportunities. They're all ambush and only stick to tight places with enough turns and cover, they burn people and run before they can react, usually taking one or two along.

Then again, I play in a server where some competitive players go to and that sort of shapes your experience a bit, pub pyros are probably much easier for the scout than I've experienced. Soldiers rarely spam the ground  there to kill a scout, as they're more worried about not dying or wasting hp. They usually just shotgun you back then rocket when you're about to land or in middle air. Otherwise, soldiers at long range are really easy to dodge.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: June 28, 2011, 01:45:20 am »

Actually im pretty sure the Shortstop has the same range as the scattergun, since its a pistol it makes it feel like your shooting farther :P
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: June 28, 2011, 02:28:38 am »

Nope. It has a tighter cone, fires less pellets, shares the same ammo as the pistol (which is why you should use one of the drinks or the milk as secondary) and each pellet does twice damage of the scattergun.

This means the deadcenter damage of the shortstop is 12 while for the scattergun is 6. The scattergun fires 10 pellets and the shortstop fires 4 (one on center and 3 random). The scattergun does more damage up close, but the shortstop retains a bit more damage on mid-long distance.

I normally use it with the crit-a-cola. You will be doing around 40-60 damage at mid range per precise shot with it. Not only that, but the shortstop fires 25% faster, which means you can fire 8 times before the minicrits wear out.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: June 28, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

Played scout on... "Well", I think, and that went... well. Stay close to health, and have lots of corners and preferably "roundabouts" to run around and attack in the back. I didn't play him as often, but with the new influx of crappy engi's, it's fun again. Engi's (well, their sentries) really are the bane of scouts.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6130 on: June 28, 2011, 04:31:37 am »

Just updated the DFC server, get back to killing.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:24 am »

Will it be getting/does it now have replay-functionality? And new/updated maps?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:32 am »

What should I do with my various genuine items? What should I be asking for them etc?

My backpack.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: June 28, 2011, 05:53:15 am »

So is anyone else enjoying the free-player rush more than they should?

I just got 14 backstabs in one life. I'm not even a particularly good spy. It seems new players don't know that it is advisable to turn around every so often, and apparently many of them don't understand how YER works. I know I shouldn't but I'm loving it.

Also, since everyone else is doing it, I'll post some trading garbage. If any new players (or otherwise, I guess) want one of my doubles, I'll trade it straight across for another weapon, because I'm cool like that and I'll turn it all into metal anyways. Items I'll trade include:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I want Color # 2-whatever, the light purple one, if anyone has one of those.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:03:30 am by kinseti »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6134 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:47 am »

kinseti: How does Brass Beast, Dead Ringer, Direct Hit, Boston Basher, Dead Ringer, Your Eternal Reward, and Degreaser in exchange for all my duplicate items sound?
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 774