Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 777745 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! Deus Ex promos! Heavy with a bionic arm!
« Reply #7200 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:34 pm »

2fort is ruined for me because it's awful.

The courtyard sentries are easier to destroy or get around (you can even take the other route to the basement) than one in the corner of the intel room. Two sentries, in opposite corners, and two attentive Engies and you've got the defense locked down.

Unrelated: I decided to craft a bunch of stuff the other day. I got a Towering Pillar of Hats, the Made Man (Misc. Rose for Spy), and the Purity Fist (Misc Robot Arm for Heavy). I have all the luck. All of it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: October 12, 2011, 09:56:27 pm »

The intel room can be simple due to the lack of space and simple geometry. Get an uber demo in there and nothing is leading alive. The courtyard is much more difficult to mess with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: October 12, 2011, 09:59:18 pm »

The intel room can be simple due to the lack of space and simple geometry. Get an uber demo in there and nothing is leading alive. The courtyard is much more difficult to mess with.

The courtyard, with a well placed sentry, that covers the entrance from the sniper platform, and the courtyard with a an attentive engy, is hardish.

If there one sentry, its not terribly difficult to attack the sentry, where it wont attack you. The engy can repair the sentry, to a point, but he needs support to hold off, a medic team. Medic+pyro, medic+heavy, will wear down the engy ability to repair.

Doubly so, if the engy uses the dispenser as a block for the spawn room stairs down to intel.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: October 12, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »

Bleh, 2fort is awful, not just because of Sentry positions, but because of plain old map design.

You have to go through the entire team (likely including several Sentries) to reach the intel.

By the time you grab the intel, their entire team has respawned (even if you're not playing on an instant respawn map - which most 2fort servers are!). And the only way out is right past their spawn.

In other words, you basically have to kill the entire enemy team twice to make a capture. And both times, you have to break through narrow, defensible chokepoints (either at the top of the spiral staircase (which is literally right in front of their spawn), or at the courtyard stairway). Yeah, no; at least Turbine gives you a chance:P

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: October 12, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »

How to win at 2Fort: Half the team needs to go sniper and line the balcony, sniping off the enemy snipers who have done the same. Meanwhile, the non-snipers need to stream into the enemy base one-at-a-time. Once a steady stream of sacrifices to the level 3 sentry is established, ? ? ?, thus winning the match.

Edit: Oh yeah, and no one go medic. Its a useless class in 2fort.

:P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:12:10 pm by Flying Carcass »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: October 12, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

How to win at 2Fort: Half the team needs to go sniper and line the balcony, sniping off the enemy snipers who have done the same. Meanwhile, the non-snipers need to stream into the enemy base one-at-a-time. Once a steady stream of sacrifices to the level 3 sentry is established, ? ? ?, thus winning the match.

Edit: Oh yeah, and no one go medic. Its a useless class in 2fort.

:P

A strategy taken to heart by 90% of all 2fort players.  :P

When the remaining 10% captures the flag, the 90% celebrate as though they were responsible; when the remaining 10% is brutally out-numbered and mowed down by sentries, the 90% criticize them for 'being bad' and dying.  ::)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: October 12, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »

Turbine's worse than 2fort in my mind. The absolute campfests set up on Turbine become unbelievably frustrating.

I havent experience a lot of camping on Turbine.

Anyone else playing cp_orange?

I remember that map from a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot. But the modern ones, have lower gravity, and the rtd mods, which I find distracting. Though, its an excellent sniper map. A good sniper is god on that map.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: October 13, 2011, 05:20:36 am »

Turbine's worse than 2fort in my mind. The absolute campfests set up on Turbine become unbelievably frustrating.

I remember that map from a few years ago, and I really liked it a lot. But the modern ones, have lower gravity, and the rtd mods, which I find distracting. Though, its an excellent sniper map. A good sniper is god on that map.
I think much of it is sentry spam in the intel room The tight hallways are easy to keep locked down so it often takes a well planned uber to push.
Thank you based dwarf.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: October 13, 2011, 05:43:14 am »

I think much of it is sentry spam in the intel room The tight hallways are easy to keep locked down so it often takes a well planned uber to push.

That, I have experience, but that seems to be par for the course on CTF maps. Beside, its insurmountable. It is called /TEAM/ Fortress. Even though most game, its functional anarchy.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:21 am »

That, I have experience, but that seems to be par for the course on CTF maps. Beside, its insurmountable. It is called /TEAM/ Fortress. Even though most game, its functional anarchy.
If the alt path wasn't though the spawn it would be a lot better.
Thank you based dwarf.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: October 13, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

The courtyard, with a well placed sentry, that covers the entrance from the sniper platform, and the courtyard with a an attentive engy, is hardish.

If there one sentry, its not terribly difficult to attack the sentry, where it wont attack you. The engy can repair the sentry, to a point, but he needs support to hold off, a medic team. Medic+pyro, medic+heavy, will wear down the engy ability to repair.

Doubly so, if the engy uses the dispenser as a block for the spawn room stairs down to intel.

The engy shouldn't be repairing unless there's a decent sized team attacking and he has support.  He should be attacking.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7211 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:07 am »

I really want to play a TC map. Or even just CP_Steel. What happened to those?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: October 13, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »

There does need to be a new TC map. I agree.

Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:37 pm »

The engy shouldn't be repairing unless there's a decent sized team attacking and he has support.  He should be attacking.
It's a hard situation to deal with. If you die in the attack your sentry is open game for various classes edging it. Your sentry doesn't really have that much health and a close-range heavy can tank the DPS and dish it out better than the sentry unless an engineer prolongs its life for another second. And you never know if a medium-sized team is about to round a corner, wipe you away and take down your sentry no problem.

If you see somebiody edging it from a corner then go for it, but actively attacking is not such a hot idea. BLU engineers need to keep the forward teleporter working and RED need to keep the area denied. Both strive for survivability and maintaining good support for your team to provide good support for you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »

It's a hard situation to deal with. If you die in the attack your sentry is open game for various classes edging it. Your sentry doesn't really have that much health and a close-range heavy can tank the DPS and dish it out better than the sentry unless an engineer prolongs its life for another second. And you never know if a medium-sized team is about to round a corner, wipe you away and take down your sentry no problem.

If you see somebiody edging it from a corner then go for it, but actively attacking is not such a hot idea. BLU engineers need to keep the forward teleporter working and RED need to keep the area denied. Both strive for survivability and maintaining good support for your team to provide good support for you.
Great, now if we could get the players to understand that...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 774