Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781377 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Free To Play! "I have manslaughtered 1,593 physicians"
« Reply #7440 on: November 16, 2011, 04:40:49 am »

Ha! I just remembered my dream, when I was going through New Replies.

I was in Team Fortress, as in actually there, trying to kill heavy. I told him that Engineer needed a hand with the Spanner. Whereas I then had a Sentry fire the crap out of him.
He then came back and said "You lie, Engineer not need my help!" :|

Heavy then went and showed me those red punching gloves and said I should get some. I told him I already had some, and he put them back on the shelf. xD

I also tried to kill Medic, but he kept healing. :(
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7441 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:04 am »

Just got the gunslinger and realized I had sucked at playing engie because I was a battle engie, not a nesting engie. Was playing on convoy and it was fun to set the mini turret on the other vehicles main deck area. I kept getting kills against a couple snipers and the occasional scout before it would go down. Of course the real fun started when another engie was on and they managed to build their lv3 turret in the opponents flag room along with a tele and dispenser. If not for the fact our entrances kept getting sapped we would have been steam rolling like gods.

Edit: Oh and I got the holy mackerel and had some fun fish killing with it for a bit as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:33:39 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: November 17, 2011, 07:09:17 am »

Just got the gunslinger and realized I had sucked at playing engie because I was a battle engie, not a nesting engie. Was playing on convoy and it was fun to set the mini turret on the other vehicles main deck area. I kept getting kills against a couple snipers and the occasional scout before it would go down. Of course the real fun started when another engie was on and they managed to build their lv3 turret in the opponents flag room along with a tele and dispenser. If not for the fact our entrances kept getting sapped we would have been steam rolling like gods.

Edit: Oh and I got the holy mackerel and had some fun fish killing with it for a bit as well.
What exact combo were you using? Also, screw around with the keybindings for more optimal battle engie play.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7443 on: November 17, 2011, 10:13:30 am »

Indeed if you are battle engieing, you will want to set up a key alias so it only takes one keypress to bring up your sentry to build. Doing the same for your dispenser might be a good idea as well. Also if you haven't already go into the options and enable auto-reload.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7444 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:38 pm »

Auto-reload and a number of other nice options are already on for me. It is amazing how much they help. As for what I am using its just basic stuff plus wrangler as I don't have any other nifty things for engie other then that short circuit thing which I don't really like.
   I have been messing with key-bindings though I do have one question. Is it possible to have the same command bond to multiple keys? I set primary weapon to wheel up, secondary to wheel down, and melee to wheel click but the bindings to 1-3 have gone away and I still like having them occasionally.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: November 17, 2011, 01:52:07 pm »

Once you go Enforcer, it's hard to go back to any other revolver. I can still switch between the DR and the CaD, or switch between the different knives, but I always, ALWAYS find myself wishing for the Enforcer if I try switching to another revolver. 2 shots to take down an engineer means you don't even need to wait for him to turn his back on you before decide to sap his stuff.  Also, the Enforcer + DR means you can quite often take out a pyro and survive even after he's put the flames to you.
Personally I prefer the Ambassador. Then again, I get a lot of headshots as spy. In theory your combo would work, but you're assuming that the pyro won't keep his flamethrower on after you "die". Or that the leftover flames won't hit you.

Also, yeah, running up and sapping nested engineers is the reason I play spy a lot. So funny to see them go "DAMMIT SPY!" in the chat.

Auto-reload and a number of other nice options are already on for me. It is amazing how much they help. As for what I am using its just basic stuff plus wrangler as I don't have any other nifty things for engie other then that short circuit thing which I don't really like.
   I have been messing with key-bindings though I do have one question. Is it possible to have the same command bond to multiple keys? I set primary weapon to wheel up, secondary to wheel down, and melee to wheel click but the bindings to 1-3 have gone away and I still like having them occasionally.
The only thing I don't like about the Short Circuit is that it costs a lot of metal to fire. Metal that would be better used for mini-sentries.
I tried combining the gunslinger and the wrangler in one build. It did not end well.
Am I the only person who really hates non-gunslinger/non-wrangler engineers?

Ive seen 3 hackers in my 1500 hours of tf2, so that shouldnt be a huge problem, some servers have the stuff like donators getting cheats, or dick admins, but its the easiest thing in the world to just change server.
Ugh, donator benefits are awful. I was playing on one Well server as a spy, and they had free 15-minute trials for their donator benefits. I tried it and I was running around at scout speed with infinite ammo and cloak. Makes the game too easy for me and too difficult for everyone else.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: November 17, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »

In theory your combo would work, but you're assuming that the pyro won't keep his flamethrower on after you "die". Or that the leftover flames won't hit you.

You shoot the Pyro first then DR to get rid of the afterburn and simultaneously escape. The only ways of doing this reliably at close range without the Enforcer is via an Ambassador headshot (you'd better have good aim) or Diamondback crits (situational). The normal revolver certainly can work, but it's less reliable than the Enforcer, and you're basically sacrificing a superior weapon for free.

I've said it before but Gunslinger + SC works extremely well. You can hang about on the front lines, constantly softening enemies up with the mini-sentry, support with the other buildings, and defend nearly as well as a Pyro if the situation calls for it. Better, if Demospam abounds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: November 17, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »

I dont like like auto reload.

Reloading is to much of a strategic option to let the game do it for me automatically.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: November 17, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »

Reloading is to much of a strategic option to let the game do it for me automatically.
As far as Ive seen, when you shoot you interrupt the reloading. Basically it doesnt hinder you in any way.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: November 17, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Makes things a hell of a lot easier. Unless you're playing spy.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:58 pm »

As far as Ive seen, when you shoot you interrupt the reloading. Basically it doesnt hinder you in any way.
For a while, I've been playing as a scout with the Short Stop.

There's a delay when you're doing the reload animation, and it'll futz the ammo loaded count display for a second or so.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7451 on: November 17, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »

You can shoot while auto-reloading. The only problem with it is that it discards the extra round in the FaN.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: November 17, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

Really? I don't even have one, and I'm drooling over the thought of getting one. As a turtling engineer you can basically write off any soldiers or demomen as a threat to your sentry. Unless your dispenser is down you should be able to destroy their explosives faster than they can spam them, and destroying a level 3 sentry with melee or a shotgun is laughable at best. Sure, other classes/an ubercharge could destroy your nest, but not using the short circuit isn't going to change that.

It's also an excellent spy checker. It basically zaps everybody in your field of you. If you spot a bunch of sparks floating in mid-air, then you've found a cloaked spy. If one of your teammates you zapped is covered in sparks, then he's actually a disguised spy. Pull your shotgun or wrench out and have fun (Mind you, I don't actually have the weapon, and they might have changed it since the last time I checked the wiki).

Am I the only person who really hates non-gunslinger/non-wrangler engineers?

Elaborate please. As long as the engineer doesn't place his buildings stupidly, (I mean really stupidly. Not stupidly as in 'This is the first time I've played this map', I mean stupid as in 'Let's place my sentry in the middle of the courtyard' stupid.) I'm fine with whatever weapons he's using.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: November 17, 2011, 05:09:26 pm »

Makes things a hell of a lot easier. Unless you're playing spy.

Eh, I never see anyone using that disguised-spy-reload-trick. It's not like you're going to fool anybody with it, it's got a tooltip for it and everything. Assuming that's what you're talking about. Once I realized you could auto-reload, switch the medigun from hold to click, display weapon damage, etc., I never considered going back.

Really? I don't even have one, and I'm drooling over the thought of getting one. As a turtling engineer you can basically write off any soldiers or demomen as a threat to your sentry. Unless your dispenser is down you should be able to destroy their explosives faster than they can spam them, and destroying a level 3 sentry with melee or a shotgun is laughable at best. Sure, other classes/an ubercharge could destroy your nest, but not using the short circuit isn't going to change that.

It's also an excellent spy checker. It basically zaps everybody in your field of you. If you spot a bunch of sparks floating in mid-air, then you've found a cloaked spy. If one of your teammates you zapped is covered in sparks, then he's actually a disguised spy. Pull your shotgun or wrench out and have fun (Mind you, I don't actually have the weapon, and they might have changed it since the last time I checked the wiki).

Maybe I should give it another try, but the metal cost and absolutely minimal damage output make it not nearly as cool as it sounds. I don't play turtle-engi very often anymore though, so it probably just doesn't suit my playstyle. Also, I love my pistol. Nobody ever expects the pistol-kill.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7454 on: November 17, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »

turtling engineer
   Yes it would be useful for a nest engie but as I had said I am bad at that kind of play. What I am good at is battle engie and the pistol just fires so fast, reloads so quickly, and has so much more ammo that I can't really pass it up.

Edit: I just finished reading all of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:36:01 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 774