Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781604 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 days"
« Reply #10365 on: September 16, 2014, 12:33:41 pm »

I basically never melee as a pyro unless i'm finishing off a heavy (you really don't want to be burning them with your ft when they're spun up), so I've just stayed with the axetinguisher.

Also I don't use the flare gun because I can't aim for shit with the flaregun.

I solve Engimatic's issue by having the scrollwheel weapon switch not require an extra click, so I don't use q at all :P

Sometimes I think I should switch to the degreaser, but my inner noob is repulsed by the damage malusses and strange degreasers cost so much more than strange flamethrowers...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: Love and War! "I've done nothing but teleport bread for 3 days"
« Reply #10366 on: September 16, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »

I basically never melee as a pyro unless i'm finishing off a heavy
There is a strange beauty in powrjack-critting those noob-ish scouts that try to bat you to death.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: September 16, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »

I remember when the powerjack first came out and it had something like 15% bonus melee damage and granted full health (or overheal) on every kill.

One time I was outside the other teams' spawn on Turbine when my team capped the flag and I got the crit bonus while I had a medic healing me. Shit was cray. I was tanking the entire enemy team and oneshotting almost everyone. Was especially satisfying since the server plug-in was announcing my multikills to everyone.

I miss that powerjack. Probably op and stupid but it was fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:13 pm »

Probably op and stupid but it was fun.
this quote perfectly describes minisentries.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »

No, no. Ministenries + frontier justice? Oh yes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:27 pm »

FTFY
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10371 on: September 16, 2014, 01:01:13 pm »

Hey!

They're a legitimate defense strategy when you have no engis and last is about to be capped :P

(May only apply to upward, but damnit it's useful.)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10372 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:55 pm »

FTFY
Minisentires are hilariously fun to play with though. I doubt getting powerjack-critted by an unkillable dude was very fun either :V

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: September 16, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

I don't think mini-sentries are actually overpowered, it's more that they require very little skill or teamwork to use effectively (which is why I use them).  A decent team of engineers can probably do more by working together to make level 3 sentries (although a gunslinger can fit into such a team quite well by using his mini-sentry to cover the others in setup and devoting his time to upgrading other people's stuff).

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: September 16, 2014, 01:44:05 pm »

Minisentires are hilariously fun to play with though. I doubt getting powerjack-critted by an unkillable dude was very fun either :V
To be fair, the unkillable powerjacking only lasted as long as the crit bonus lasted, which is ~5 seconds.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:01 pm »

The problem with minisentries is that if you're playing on the same team as people who are less skilled than you, then they can be incredibly frustrating to play against, especially as scout.  You rely on a small handful of classes to pop them whenever they see them (demos, soldiers, snipers, not spies because that's not worth giving up your position).  If those classes are inattentive, not present, unhelpful or just bad, you're going to be locked out of an area by complete newbs at no significant cost.  Also gunslinger + widowmaker is damn well overpowered, if you aren't concerned about keeping a big backlog of metal the widomaker's stats might as well read "+clip size x1000%" since a skilled player will never run out of ammo and can keep firing as long as they're alive.

The problem is that for most classes in the game, taking out a mini-sentry is more painful (not just in terms of health lost, but in terms of time spent and exposure to fire from other sources) than building a mini-sentry is, which is not even remotely true of standard sentries.  And since its a sentry there isn't nearly as much strategy to fighting it is there is fighting a player.  Which is fine for normal sentries because of all their weaknesses, but when you strip those away...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: September 16, 2014, 02:23:18 pm »

Taking down a well-placed level 3 sentry (or a nest of them) is a lot more painful than putting it up.

e: I also think that the Widowmaker is one of those weapons that only really works well if you're playing against people that are much worse than you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:27:46 pm by Leafsnail »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: September 16, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »

Especially when you're like me and put them in the absolute cheesiest spots ever.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10378 on: September 16, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »

e: I also think that the Widowmaker is one of those weapons that only really works well if you're playing against people that are much worse than you.
Widowmaker depends on your skill at aiming. Don't see how other player's skills impact your own skill at aiming aside from bad players being easier targets.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: September 16, 2014, 03:45:56 pm »

The widowmaker USED to be hard to use.  Now it takes 30 metal, and can very plausibly return more than 50.  So, to recap: You have exactly the same clip size as before if you miss EVERY shot, even if harassing you'll probably come up with at least 8 shots, and at short/mid range with excellent aim you can just fire, and fire, and fire.  Forever.

Now if you're using a standard sentry completely running out of metal when you run out of ammo is a problem.  But as a gunslinger engi you're never really obligated to repair anything, so you can manage your metal soley to feed the widowmaker.  Plus the 100 metal you get after building a mini-sentry is MORE than enough to never run out of ammo.  Even better, picking up weapons off the ground reloads your weapon, not your reserve.

Add this to an already assembled mini-sentry and you're basically a mini-heavy, you've got a combined health of 225, and comparable DPS at everything except point blank or crits.  Plus carrying your minisentry you move faster than a heavy and I believe the sentry and minigun deploy at about the same speed.  You'll still lose to heavies if they ignore your mini-sentries but it will be suprisingly close.  All this damage is hitscan because fuck pyros, and a lot of it is perfectly accurate and has significant knockback because fuck scouts.
Pages: 1 ... 690 691 [692] 693 694 ... 774