Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781308 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 war-themed hat simulator!
« Reply #10830 on: January 25, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »

I think they also fixed a glitch where the mini-sentry used to heal itself while it was building, that made it very hard to kill them before they set up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10831 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:50 am »

Hmmm.
I have a strange reserve shooter named "Icarus's Folly" and a description tag, but I can't come up with a good description. (I named it that because my strange ft is called Prometheus's Gift)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: February 04, 2015, 08:37:05 pm »

"A corpse. Yes. You feel something. I must know what you are feeling."
"You will be who you will be. We are our choices. And we can choose to lead humanity away from this... darkness"
"We are Daedalus. We are Icarus. The barriers between us have fallen and we have become our own shadows."

Deus Ex most quotable Ex.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: March 06, 2015, 09:28:16 pm »

If anyone's interested, I recently acquired an extra Silver Botkiller Mk. II Flamethrower.
It's selling for 3 scrap and two soldier weapons, if you can spare them.
3 scrap? Or did you mean 3 ref?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: June 15, 2015, 04:08:30 am »

PTW.

I'm a competent Pyro, perhaps enough to play comp if I improved my flare/detonator aim.

I'm branching into scout and it seems like enemy scouts are really annoying to hit. The beanpoles have a small hitbox so the shotgun doesn't do much damage unless it's point-blank, in which they can just blast me in the face. On the other hand, I have a slighly better aim than most pub scouts, but mostly due to my strafe-shooting technique and prediction rather than actual reflex. Does anyone here main scout and have any advice on mentality? Being a pyro main, I often can't resist sneaking up to people, which seems to be even easier as a scout except you can't set people on fire.

Also I'm a premium player since I bought TF2 back in the days of yore, so I guess I can trade. I don't actually understand how trading works and all these modifier thingamajig though and I don't really want to shell out for keys. If I want a Pyromancer mask, how should I go about obtaining it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:10:06 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:45 am »

why are you shooting scouts
let the others deal with those
go get meatshots on their meds/heavies

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: June 15, 2015, 01:03:53 pm »

PTW.
-snip-

Scout is good at sneak attacks and flanking, like pyro but less fire and more buckshot. Sneak attacking as a scout consists of running right up to the bad guy's backside and shooting point blank. If they survive that, jump around and flank them while continue to shoot them point blank until they're dead. Basically a key way to damage as scout is to get to medium/close range and aim well with your scattergun. Scout is all about flanking and dodging and aiming.

Hats can drop randomly, although this is rare. Rarer than weapon drops. Another method is to craft various weapons you don't need into metal, then craft hats out of that metal. No guarantees you get the hat you want though. Best option is to try and find someone to trade with. Can't give tips there though, I don't really mess with trading because I'm a recluse I'm too awkward to send messages I'm don't really care too much about hats and stuff. I do know the standard cost of trading hats is ~3 or 4 refined metal a hat. Don't get scammed. You could find it for cheaper, but it seems most players in the game who trade rely on the meta-game "economy" to determine the cost of what they're selling.

You could buy the hat you want straight from the store, no keys needed. But that would need a credit card/money. And paying money for virtual items is...eh. Not really needed, but it's fast.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: June 15, 2015, 01:14:12 pm »

I'm branching into scout and it seems like enemy scouts are really annoying to hit. The beanpoles have a small hitbox so the shotgun doesn't do much damage unless it's point-blank, in which they can just blast me in the face. On the other hand, I have a slighly better aim than most pub scouts, but mostly due to my strafe-shooting technique and prediction rather than actual reflex. Does anyone here main scout and have any advice on mentality? Being a pyro main, I often can't resist sneaking up to people, which seems to be even easier as a scout except you can't set people on fire.
Honestly, I main scout (whenever I can find a server not choked with minsentries, grrr) and quickly aiming the scattergun is still tricky for me.  It comes with practice.  Its high damage and high capacity enough you can get by without having perfect aim.  Once you do have good aim, your scattergun will easily outdamage the flamethrower against single targets.  If you find yourself sneaking up on people a lot the force-o-nature or the backscatter might be an effective choice but the scattergun is still the undisputed king of scout weapons.

The most important thing is getting your movement down.  Learn how to double jump unpredictably to dodge rockets and grenades.  Generally this means jumping one way and then double jumping the other, but you can also do stuff like jump over your opponent or jump close to shoot and then jump back for distance.  Once you expend your double jump, your trajectory is almost completely predictable and you're vulnerable, so wait as long as you can afford to (and ideally bring the atomizer so you get a third jump).  The scout is kind of a stealth class, but instead of being hard to see you're hard to predict.  There are a lot paths you can go down as scout that would require self-damage via rocket jumping if you were a soldier.  Learn to do stuff like jump on roofs, over gaps, or up cliffs.  Learn it well enough that you can do it in the middle of combat without thinking about it.  Once you learn how to leverage your speed you'll be a terrifying force of nature constantly appearing behind the enemy to shoot them in the back.  As a side note to this, try to play modes like payload, king of the hill and control point where mobility is useful and the maps are open.  In modes like capture the flag and attack/defense scout is more of a gimmick than a necessary part of the team.

Like spy, you want to limit how long you're in sight of enemies.  Get in, do your damage, and get out as quickly as possible even if that means giving up a kill (if it feels suicidal you're probably going to die before you make the kill anyway).  The go-to way to fight heavies is to run around a corner, meat shot them, and then leave before they spin up.  You can go toe-to-toe with a soldier or another scout skill being equal (even a pyro if you're good at controlling your distance from the target), but you shouldn't stick around for a fight where there are more enemy fighter classes than friendly ones.  Unless something important is at stake like an objective or your own medic dying.  If you see a sentry, announce it to your team with the voice commands and then leave.  You can bypass them with Bonk! but this is usually a waste of time and from a tryhard perspective its hard to justify Bonk! over any of the pistols except maybe the winger.

Most important thing: never stop moving.  If you're sitting in place to ambush an enemy, you shouldn't be playing scout.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10838 on: June 15, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »

If you wish to trade in-game stuff for in-game stuff, I recommend scrap.tf
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »

As Enigmatic said, unpredictability is definitely one of the most important things to get down when playing scout (at least outside competitive, there the old tricks don't work). Playing scout in ways people don't expect (feigning retreat and then returning aggressively, jumping over their head, jumping onto and off of weird bits of the map's geometry in a fight, etc) is probably the most enjoyable part of TF2 I've experienced, in terms of player-player interaction. More than just laughing at dumb heavies, it's a way of playing that's simultaneously somewhat thoughtful while still being aggressive (and roughly on par with a good soldier's skill level).

If you're maining pyro, you should really switch to scout (or soldier, though scout is more similar). It's a better class in every practical area, even if pyro is easier to 'master'. The only competitive environment where pyro is ever played is highlander, and that's only because it's a requirement. The game is awash with bourgeois-tier pyro-mains with half-hearted competitive ambitions, and while you may find some PUGs running highlander, I think that experience would only serve to make other classes look more appealing.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: June 15, 2015, 05:26:22 pm »

A secret trick I use to make my aim better is to bind a toggle key to turn off viewmodels, so that the gun model doesn't distract me from the aiming reticle. It makes it a lot easier to actually shoot the fucker when the only indication of where your bullets are going is exactly where your bullets will go.

Go into console, type
Code: [Select]
bindtoggle key r_drawviewmodel
Replace key with whichever key you want to use for that, I use x myself. If I notice my aim is bad, I press X and it disappears my shotgun or revolver or whatever, and when I don't need to aim, I can press x again and see my pretty gun~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10841 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:12 am »

I use an advanced script that flicks my viewmodels on when I switch weapons (so I always know which weapon I have out) and then hides them again when I go to fire (so they don't distract me).

The biggest issue with viewmodels is that they are often big and obscure your field of view, possibly blocking your LOS on an approaching enemy.

------

While I've considered the phlog beneath me for a long time, after terrorizing a few pubs though it's terribly fun. I've already gotten several whole servers just apoplectic at me. It feels delicious getting a 20 killstreak just running people over.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:38 am »

If you're maining pyro, you should really switch to scout (or soldier, though scout is more similar). It's a better class in every practical area, even if pyro is easier to 'master'. The only competitive environment where pyro is ever played is highlander, and that's only because it's a requirement. The game is awash with bourgeois-tier pyro-mains with half-hearted competitive ambitions, and while you may find some PUGs running highlander, I think that experience would only serve to make other classes look more appealing.
thanks for calling pyros noskills, man. i apreciate it

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: June 17, 2015, 06:53:27 am »

thanks for calling pyros noskills, man. i apreciate it

I can't remember if I've told this story before: one of the best players I've ever personally played against was a guy named BFL Satan, who is probably the best pyro main in the world. Like, literally the best without exaggeration. He joined the 24/7 32-man Harvest server I was on at the time, and then proceeded to score dominations on every single person, myself included, on my team. I couldn't think of a way to even approach this guy, let alone fight him. I was awestruck at what he could do with pyro, and he was just running Degreaser-flare-powerjack.

Just one of my TF2 memories that'll always stick with me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: June 17, 2015, 07:09:34 am »

more seriously, I was playing valve ctf_doublecross the other day, and I was running the gunslinger. I got bored of camping at the intel, so I decided to leave my sentry there and set up a dispenser in the middle of the dropdown to the intel. Then I went to kill people with my shotty and pistol.

To my surprise, people kept destroying the dispenser before they did anything, so I could come back from halfway across the map and kill them before they took the intel :P

Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 774